Home Precious Metals
Options

What's your next purchase price?

I'm curious how you all purchase your metals.

My process is simple:

1. Decide what I want.
I usually set my annual goals in December.

2. Decide how much I want to pay for it.
I have a certain plan to decide how much I want to pay for my purchases.

3. Save up the Fiat to trade for it.
I set aside a bit each month.

4. Find a deal that meets my goal.
I have a few places that I look, one of the main places is this forum for found deals and just recently I started looking at the bay again. Very rarely will I want into a B&M locally.

5. Make purchase.
I keep track of all my stuff in Excel.

6. Start over.
Re-asses, decide what is next and attach image

Care to share your path?

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bullion silver

$2 - $4

Reason - barring interesting issues I've stacked enough that I'm over exposed

Gold - only nibbling on the way down in case I'm wrong, but I really see $500 or lower, sub-300 (?), gold as I don't think the USA debt and other obligations will manifest itself as predicted.

So I'll go $200 - $300 to really dive back in.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Most of what I buy is to flip. My max on silver was low thirties, $1500 on gold. Gets too dicey above that.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASEs in the 2-2.50 premium range. Usually with extra ebay bucks offers.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not plan ahead. I buy what I like when I see it.... providing it is reasonable cost - It has been a slow year though, too much work and not enough 'play' time..... have to change that. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASEs @ $350 or less per roll.
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    My last significant bullion purchase was at $15.40. My next level to add to would be $13.90.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I got out of gold at 900, so I might get back in at 850 a little and definitely at 600. That said, it would be numismatic gold, not bullion. I have never been a silver stacker as the storage requirements are too onerous if you have a substantial amount. Gold can be kept in a safety deposit box easily for how much I would hold. Also, that is where all my coins worth over $100 live.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    14.55 silver I will add more.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not plan ahead. I buy what I like when I see it.... providing it is reasonable cost - It has been a slow year though, too much work and not enough 'play' time..... have to change that. Cheers, RickO >>

This exactly. I'm not stacking a significant amount of my PMs anymore, so it's just whatever strikes me. I may be a little more inclined to go shopping when prices are low(er). But if I see something I like, even if prices have bumped up recently, chances are I'll buy.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Libertads at +$2.50 have me tempted tonight....
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    10oz Geiger bars and some 2014 Maple Leafs.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy silver unless it breaks to $6.00 per ounce or lower, gold at $600.00. If it never gets there, I will just keep my "worthless fiat" safe from the destructive powers of the so called "inflation hedges". You know, after losing about 100K this last year in various "investments", metals contributing to about 30K of those losses. I realize that I would rather have a little inflation, but be able to keep / spend ALL of my money, than to try and "safeguard" my money and lose it in the process.

My newest investing mantra concerning metals: I would rather miss the ride up, than risk the ride down.

Tyler
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    My newest investing mantra concerning metals: I would rather miss the ride up, than risk the ride down.

Tyler >>

rudimentary haiku version

Silver investing

first rocketing to the crest

then sickening plunge

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on the PM sidelines. I do not subscribe to the notion, that PM's are a SHTF savior nor that gold will replace the $ in my lifetime. Will continue to buy what I'm currently "collecting" ... 5 oz pucks & speculative US Mint products. Thanks to the coin forum, as an example, I managed to do well with the $1 coin & currency set.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."