Home Precious Metals

Question about finding current metal SPOT pricing

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you see spot pricing for various metals on various websites what is the price actually represented?

For instance on kitco right now I am seeing BID 1244.30 / ASK 1245.30 .

I decided to set up a scrolling ticker on my computer and I am looking for a source for prices .

The ticker uses an RSS feed so the challenge is finding real time prices for metals and other commodities.

GCZ14.CMX provides December 2014 price of 1244 GCX14.CMX provides November 2014 1243.40 .

There are 100's of symbols for different flavors of gold pricing . I don't want to keep updating symbols as time goes on.

This was inspired by the fact that the firefox extension LiveGold that I use is not supported in the newer versions of firefox. I like having metals prices right in the browser but I'm about 8 versions behind on firefox and that could become a security issue.

the ticker program I'm playing around with is here if anyone is interested battware desktop ticker

Stocks are easy , to add just enable yahoo finance RSS and add whatever symbols you like .

Metal pricing and currency seems to be more difficult to get

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BID is what potential buyers are currently offering, while ASK is what current sellers are currently asking. They usually agree somewhere in between to set the latest price.

I use Kitco's Windows Taskbar App for constantly updated metal prices.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    the gold ETF uses thebulliondesk as its source for the price of gold. I would start there
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use bulliondirect.com which autoupdates at least once per minute or as spot changes.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the gold ETF uses thebulliondesk as its source for the price of gold. I would start there >>

thebulliondesk has live prices on the site. It has RSS feeds but they seem to be latest news type feeds not pricing they have a login so maybe you have to be a subscriber to get other feedsimage

I looked at the LME and they want you to pay for a feed and they don't offer any sort of trial to see how it would work.

Bloomberg has a bunch of news type feeds

I found a search engine for RSS feeds I'm going to look around , you have to try them out one at a time to see if they are useful

RSS search Hub
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use coininfo.com. I like it !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If one is going to nit-pick Gold values for what is most likely $2 in the difference in what one source says over another, one needs to rethink what they're doing.
    $2 on a $1200 purchase is not that big of a deal imo. Just my $2 worth image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>If one is going to nit-pick Gold values for what is most likely $2 in the difference in what one source says over another, one needs to rethink what they're doing.
    $2 on a $1200 purchase is not that big of a deal imo. Just my $2 worth image >>

Thats not what I meant, If I use the ticker symbol for nov 2014 gold then a month from now I have to change it . Websites that post a spot ticker must be aggregating or converting some symbols to get their number .

I just thought there was a free feed I could lift all the data from and display it in a crawler at the bottom of my computer screen so I didn't have to go look at different webpages . There probably is but its not so simple to find it.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Kitco has an app for Windows 7, Apple, and Android desktop called Kcast
    Chrome browser has a free app in their app store from goldrealtime.com as a webpage
    Android has a free app from Golden Eagle in Playstore
    Windows 8 Metro / Windows tablet has the Bing Finance app that can be customized

^ all work well

A large percentage of CCE dealers use Bulliondesk, but some of the biggest wholesalers do not. Since there is no such thing as "the" spot price, it's a matter of reconciling and deciding if you are willing to accept the spreads quoted.

<< <i>I just thought there was a free feed I could lift all the data from and display it in a crawler at the bottom of my computer screen so I didn't have to go look at different webpages . There probably is but its not so simple to find it. >>

It very simple to find if you read the replies to your question. Kitco Kcast taskbar app link was provided in the first response to your post.

<< <i>

<< <i>I just thought there was a free feed I could lift all the data from and display it in a crawler at the bottom of my computer screen so I didn't have to go look at different webpages . There probably is but its not so simple to find it. >>

It very simple to find if you read the replies to your question. Kitco Kcast taskbar app link was provided in the first response to your post. >>

No I see the Kcast I tried it , but thats only metal prices there are no currency numbers . I wanted to have metals , stocks , currency headlines all mixed together. If I'm interested in a particular thing I want to put it on there , if it no longer interests me I want to yank it.

You can go to any financial site and punch in a stock symbol and get a chart or a quote but with metals its more complex. If you want an IBM quote those 3 letters will do it anywhere. If you want Gold price every place seems to get to it with a different symbol.

To me that means there is a possibility that some sources are less valid than others.

don't believe you are going to find an all in one live ticker but if you do be sure to let us know. You might find a stock ticker where you can include the ETFs GLD, SLV and PPLT.
    At least with the Kcast you have the live actual metal prices at your disposal and not the ETF derivatives.

<< <i>don't believe you are going to find an all in one live ticker but if you do be sure to let us know. You might find a stock ticker where you can include the ETFs GLD, SLV and PPLT.
    At least with the Kcast you have the live actual metal prices at your disposal and not the ETF derivatives. >>

I've got the ETF's in the ticker . I use the yahoo finance RSS feed and under the manage feed menu I add those symbols one at a time.

What I'm finding is that everyone does some sort of processing to a lower level of data to get the quotes they place on various pages.

I was running into the same problem with currencies. If I enter EUR/USD as a symbol it does nothing but it turns out that at least with yahoo finance EURUSD=X gives me what I want.

I've solved that at least there is an XPT symbol which I thought would give me a platinum spot price when used like XPTUSD=X but it gives 1271.60 image I'm missing something
    Market Watch lets you create a portfolio that you can keep open in a browser tab.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Netdania or bust...
    keceph `anah
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Netdania or bust... >>

^ Yes. Excellent.

Metals
    Stocks
    Forex

It's all there.

<< <i>Netdania or bust... >>

Netdania has an XML feed for currencies but it aint free image With yahoo I think I've solved the currency problem though .

On Netdania when I was searching "FXAUGUSDRT" came up for the Gold silver ratio but yahoo doesn't do that that way . But I had a lightbulb moment though then

In yahoo XAUUSD=X gives me 1228.25 which is close enough to gold"spot" XAGUSD=X works for silver too. XAUXAG=X gives me a gold silver ratio in my ticker unfortunately platinum and palladium are both off though. Maybe a wider bid ask spread on those is the issue.

XCPUSD=X gives me a copper price they seem to have forsaken latin for the base metals . I know that I can at least find the other base metals though now.

I'm using the bulliondesk news feed as well as 24hrgold's news feed for stories at the moment.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    We must be in different places in our lives, or else this is your "day job" image

I don't have enough computer time during the day to justify a live ticker. I get online whenever I can, and when I do, check my spot prices online. I can understand the need for a live ticker if you are trading daily?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    I think he has got it set up scrolling across his man cave... Lol...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>I think he has got it set up scrolling across his man cave... Lol... >>

I've been rained out of work going on 4 days now image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll from multiple sources.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions