Home Precious Metals
Options

Requiem for the independant businessman!!!

The hard working souls that awoke when the sun was still two states away.

Tirelessly they toiled, knowing that a downturn or unforeseen catastrophe could put them out on the street quickly.

Vacations were a luxury that they could dream about after retirement, for now though there was a butcher shop, pharmacy, music store or restaurant to run and nobody but the owner really knew how to keep the place humming.

Many of these proud folks worked for a lot less money than their cubicle captive cohorts. Hours were longer and the pension was the put away silver change found in the register. It was worth it all of course, just to have the name on the door and have to answer to no one. No one other than the customers that could make or break him.

These fellows have become dinosaurs. Guys that chomped on discounted cigars, barked out orders to employees and always had a five dollar bill for the neighborhood vagrant that needed a meal or a bottle of Mad Dog.

Sid's Drugstore and Louie's Pizza dotted every corner. Delicatessens and independent service stations defined the neighborhood.

Local shylock politicians will always build a new intersection for Wal-Mart and a new warehouse for Amazon. Elon Musk gets a billion dollar battery plant at a drop of a hat. Small businessman gets his share all right. He gets handed the bill for the new facilities, that will become at least indirectly, his competition.

Comments

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Nice imagery but I feel the need to ask as many others have here previously….what has this to do with PM?
    It has nothing to do with precious metals!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice imagery but I feel the need to ask as many others have here previously….what has this to do with PM?
    It has nothing to do with precious metals! >>

Hell it doesn't. I know that many liberal forum members worship the government nanny state, I do not. I grew up in a time that a man created a job, he didn't beg his governor or president to create one for him.

We have traded in our farms and small businesses for long unemployment lines and hopefully a livable job, assuming we have the proper educational credentials and an acceptably obsequious demeanor.

In the same regard most Americans eschew real savings in the form of precious metals (real money) for a pocketful of promises

If you cannot make the connection, perhaps someone else can better explain.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Capitalism, or capitalism corrupted?
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The reference to silver in the opening post ties it to PMs. image

Interesting post by the way; a lot of truth in there.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I grew up in a time that a man created a job, he didn't beg his governor or president to create one for him.

We have traded in our farms and small businesses for long unemployment lines and hopefully a livable job, assuming we have the proper educational credentials and an acceptably obsequious demeanor.

In the same regard most Americans eschew real savings in the form of precious metals (real money) for a pocketful of promises

If you cannot make the connection, perhaps someone else can better explain. >>

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Aahhh....Hell it doesn't, sorry.
    I don't see or appreciate it but who cares.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Aahhh....Hell it doesn't, sorry.
    I don't see or appreciate it but who cares. >>

Seriously? Who cares?.... The gestapo cares, that's who...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure was fun living in the 19th Century.....image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see lots of folk busting their a**. And I see lots of folk sitting on their a**.

Same as it ever was.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big increase in recent years in the number of those sitting. Sitting has become a full time job, with benefits, for many. Unfortunately, somebody has to burden the costs.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Good post.

My dad is one of those "independent service stations" guys. Been struggling against the big oil and tire guys for a while now. Through an unfortunate situation with a family member he has to keep on pluggin' along for a little longer. He's 72 years old. He's been a hard labor worker for over 54 years now.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see lots of folk busting their a**. And I see lots of folk sitting on their a**.

Same as it ever was. >>

Yup
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I seen a lot of young couples at Wally with children yesterday. A young lady was loading a 25 # bag of sugar in her cart.

I looked at her husband and said man she must be a good cook. He says naw thats the only size we can get free on the cardimage

Then I noticed a big stack of 25# bags of sugar. Then I noticed a bunch of them bags in cartsimage

We use to have many local run business's until Wally built super center closed 90%. The ones left will close when owner hangs it up.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>I see lots of folk busting their a**. And I see lots of folk sitting on their a**.

Same as it ever was. >>

True...but now they are busting their behind in a corporate setting. One generously endowed by a friendly and well oiled politician.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My small business is having its best year ever.

Luck and pluck still count for something.

My motto in business is "keep it small, keep it all".
  • Options

<< <i>big increase in recent years in the number of those sitting. Sitting has become a full time job, with benefits, for many. Unfortunately, somebody has to burden the costs. >>

I think they call it retirement. And yes, the boomers children will burden the costs.

• Options

<< <i>

Same as it ever was. >>

True...but now they are busting their behind in a corporate setting. One generously endowed by a friendly and well oiled politician. >>

My wife started a corporation a few years ago. It now feeds 6 families and I havent seen a single politican.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>big increase in recent years in the number of those sitting. Sitting has become a full time job, with benefits, for many. Unfortunately, somebody has to burden the costs. >>

I think they call it retirement. And yes, the boomers children will burden the costs. >>

At 25 it is probably not called retirement.