Home Precious Metals
Options

Did CME just cut margin rates on gold and silver?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over on the dealer-to-dealer network one dealer said that late today margins were cut by 10-15%. Can anybody confirm or deny that?
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Confirmed.

Text
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    not lowered enough to have an impact like the way it does when they raise it by this same percentage change.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely meant nothing because it needs to be cut significantly more to have an impact.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    normal considering spot price movement

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>normal considering spot price movement >>

Exactly. Lower price requires less capital to maintain a position, just as a higher price requires more capital.

No conspiracy or manipulation.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>normal considering spot price movement >>

Exactly. Lower price requires less capital to maintain a position, just as a higher price requires more capital.

No conspiracy or manipulation. >>

And less capital enables more unfunded positions. Sorta like manipulation. image

• Options
    All positions are funded.

• Options
    my bad. more "minimumly" funded positions. Lower margins mean more positions for the same up front money.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Over the last few years, there has been no correlation between the direction of the margin change and the direction of the price of silver over the following week.
  • Options

<< <i>Over the last few years, there has been no correlation between the direction of the margin change and the direction of the price of silver over the following week. >>

Logical to adjust margins to clearinghouse risk. Reckless to use it to tamp down fast markets.
  • Options
    Mglicker, should crypto be banned as well for saying the exact same thing I said? Or should I be banned because you don't like me? Have you lectured crypto?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Logical to adjust margins to clearinghouse risk. Reckless to use it to tamp down fast markets.

It depends. If you consider that these are leveraged positions, I do agree that it makes sense to stimulate trading when the market is slow and to slow things down when the market gets heated up.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Logical to adjust margins to clearinghouse risk. Reckless to use it to tamp down fast markets.

It depends. If you consider that these are leveraged positions, I do agree that it makes sense to stimulate trading when the market is slow and to slow things down when the market gets heated up. >>

Disagree. Margin hikes should be used only to minimize risk of default in a potentially fast market. Conversely, lowered in a perceived less volatile environment. To attempt to alter trading patterns is open to abuse.
  • Options

<< <i>Logical to adjust margins to clearinghouse risk. Reckless to use it to tamp down fast markets.

It depends. If you consider that these are leveraged positions, I do agree that it makes sense to stimulate trading when the market is slow and to slow things down when the market gets heated up. >>

There is no stimulation. It simply costs less to buy 5000 oz silver today than a month ago therefore less capital is required to initiate and maintain a position.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no stimulation. It simply costs less to buy 5000 oz silver today than a month ago therefore less capital is required to initiate and maintain a position.

Okay then. Facilitation.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.