Home Precious Metals

Are you going in on Alibaba?

Those who follow the markets have seen the pops in GPRO and LOCO the first couple weeks...even those who couldn't get in before the first trade on the NYSE saw their money multiply if they bought in on the first day-GPRO continues to surge. We all remember what happened with FB when it went public...the drop...and now the big run up-it is making investors so much money. What do you guys think about this IPO scheduled for 9/17? I predict the stock goes up around 50% within the first 2 weeks. I just don't know if I have the guts to get in on a Chinese e commerce play...that seems like the epitome of a frothy stock...but you can't argue with their growth and profit margins if you have been following this thing. I get paid on Friday, so at around 2 pm that day I will have almost 400 dollars sitting in my scottrade account...I was going to buy 2 shares of LMT. I bought 7 shares of XLV in August. With the conflicts in the middle east, why can't a blue chip defense contractor run up even higher? Anyone looking at LMT's chart could say "you missed out...where is the upside?"...and there have been stocks like that where I told myself that, then continued to follow them, and they continued to surge.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    barring no unexpected market declines beforehand, the upcoming IPO BABA should initially be an easy money maker.

Edited to add: but only if you get in early.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I plan to participate in the offering, but only at the IPO price. Filing range is $60 - 66 and over 320 million shares.

No way such a large offering will be like GPRO or LOCO.

BABA is closer to FB, which would have been an OK deal
    if FB had not raised the price and the number of shares offered.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many underwriters will be selling shares?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were playing I would, this is probably a sure thing.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    It seems like a quick play for some money but idk, the whole making fake coins just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like a quick play for some money but idk, the whole making fake coins just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

These are the same guys? They fake more than just coins, I think. The question becomes, "how are they being allowed to sell a stock offering in the US?"

Corruption all across the board. Plan accordingly.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I like LMT and have owned it for a while.
    Current 1 yr return of almost 46% with a yield of 3.2%.
    P/E however now getting up there.
    I agree that a big, secretive in many ways, defense contractor is a good play.
    I think Alibaba will soar for a long time.
    It is/will become the world's eBay/Amazon combo site.
    Then again, anything could happen, JMHO.
    Best of luck!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems like a quick play for some money but idk, the whole making fake coins just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth. >>

As a stockholder you can voice your concerns at the shareholders' meeting, but good luck getting any change. I think I'll be in.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>no >>

y knot?
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is the business model of the future. Peer to peer manufacturing is something to pay attention to. If you could be sure that the quality was there the idea of being able to directly negotiate with a factory for 1000 widgets with no middleman is pretty amazing.

Fake coins and poison baby food etc are issues but if you could trust the product it would be a game changer .
    I am looking forward to BABA trading on Fri Sep 19. I expect to get an allocation of BABA shares at the IPO price
    and will sell most of them the first day of trading. Maybe 1 in 50 times I buy more shares in the open market but this
    will not be the case with BABA.

I flipped 90% of FB and TWTR the first trading day. Allocations on GPRO and LOCO were much smaller as these were very
    small deals. I kept them for 2-3 days and then sold. Both will be back with follow on offerings, perhaps by
    year end.
    If I get shares from my broker's allocation he will be most unhappy if I flip them and I will be on his poop list.
    I wonder if Kevin Lipton hired any actors to storm Wall Street tomorrow to drum up some excitement for the Alibaba IPO.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    As a "stockholder" in alibaba, u have no say...
    Better odds at blackjack...
    Interesting most if not all who buy it, know zero what they are buying...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>I wonder if Kevin Lipton hired any actors to storm Wall Street tomorrow to drum up some excitement for the Alibaba IPO. >>

yesterday kevin accidentally listed rolls of 2014 silver eagles for $108 , so far I haven't gotten a tracking number or a refund either image

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if Kevin Lipton hired any actors to storm Wall Street tomorrow to drum up some excitement for the Alibaba IPO. >>

yesterday kevin accidentally listed rolls of 2014 silver eagles for $108 , so far I haven't gotten a tracking number or a refund either image >>

Is he working for Silvertowne now? What do you suppose he intended to sell hem for?
    $108 for one ase....
    keceph `anah

I thought he was Silvertowne ???? Anyway I hit the daily deals button the other day and it popped up. 1 Roll 2014 ASE's $108.20 free shipping , I bought one but I'm not optimistic it will appear in my mailbox image

As an ebay seller I've learned to use the "MARKDOWN MANAGER" very carefully . It appears as though they attempted to do a 15% off deal and did a 15% on by mistake. They sold about 200 at that price it looked like.

<< <i>I thought he was Silvertowne ???? Anyway I hit the daily deals button the other day and it popped up. 1 Roll 2014 ASE's $108.20 free shipping , I bought one but I'm not optimistic it will appear in my mailbox image

As an ebay seller I've learned to use the "MARKDOWN MANAGER" very carefully . It appears as though they attempted to do a 15% off deal and did a 15% on by mistake. They sold about 200 at that price it looked like. >>

KL is not Silvertowne, but he did go into cahoots a bit with them on the gold Kennedy coins.
  • bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    It could be a good flip, but not a real investment because you only own a surrogate investment that Jack Ma can take what he wants when he wants.
    The business model is very good as are the margins, but for anyone with experience in the way Chinese stocks operate, there is one major take away: CAVEAT EMPTOR!

<< <i>It could be a good flip, but not a real investment because you only own a surrogate investment that Jack Ma can take what he wants when he wants.
    The business model is very good as are the margins, but for anyone with experience in the way Chinese stocks operate, there is one major take away: CAVEAT EMPTOR! >>

That's pretty much true about all business with the Chinese. I can't begin to think about how much cheap chemical product from China that my former employer used to dispose of.
    looks like 80-83, first indication. Timing very good for this IPO, but hearkens some bad mojo, imo.
    I got some BABA at 68 and have orders in to sell 2/3 of the position.
    Open at 88...88.80...88.88?

I eat a lot of rice to get these eggrolls.

Indication 89-91 now.
    I'm not planning on holding very long

90-91, now. My guess is this thing comes a lot closer to opening at the HOD vs LOD
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    When Facebook went public, the underwriters were required to support the stock at the IPO price on the opening day.

That will probably not be necessary here, but anything is possible. Wonder if the same requirement applys to the underwriters here?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went with GPRO after careful consideration regarding photos on the move.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Went with GPRO after careful consideration regarding photos on the move. >>

A short?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
    I expect the 40 thieves to soon surface. image

<< <i>

<< <i>Went with GPRO after careful consideration regarding photos on the move. >>

A short? >>

That's what a friend said to do, but I don't know how to play the puts and calls and so I'm an investor in companies that I believe in for the LONG RUN. I think BABA is one of them, but it's just not a bone I wish to gnaw on at this point with what little I have in the market.
    Sad to say, but if Alibaba is the new business model, US GDP (and it jobs) are in serious trouble.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• I changed my mind this morning and decided to give it a shot. Had an order all set up and wife waiting to push the button.

As soon as it opened I told her to hit it and ran in to see the price which was $93.70 already! I had seen it go up to 93 something but then go back down to a low 92 number in the first couple microseconds. I told her not to confirm it and then we sweated it out as we watched it rocket to $99.

Then it dropped like a rock back down to 92 and I never bought any. Gonna watch for a week or month or so and decide then.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

Alibaba accounts for almost 80 per cent of Chinese e-commerce ­volume. Investors correctly see it as a way to profit from China's growing middle class. Expansion to other markets is only icing on the cake. If its business model continues unchanged it should be an excellent long term investment. I expect it to easily hit $250 within 12 months. I'm gonna hold my stake and see what develops.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>no >>

and no
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    People who are buying into this company that promotes the selling of fake metals should have extremely bad things happen to them and their families. You, in effect are promoting the sales of fake metals. Karma is a b*tch, remember that.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    “Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies and cuts through to the essence of the evolutionary spirit.” Gordon Gekko “Wall Street”

Seemed appropriate.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People who are buying into this company that promotes the selling of fake metals should have extremely bad things happen to them and their families. You, in effect are promoting the sales of fake metals. Karma is a b*tch, remember that. >>

But....But.....This is one of the few venues where an investor can buy ASE's at well below melt.imageimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>“Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies and cuts through to the essence of the evolutionary spirit.” Gordon Gekko “Wall Street”

Seemed appropriate. >>

I love how this quote was delivered in the movie.

<< <i>

<< <i>People who are buying into this company that promotes the selling of fake metals should have extremely bad things happen to them and their families. You, in effect are promoting the sales of fake metals. Karma is a b*tch, remember that. >>

But....But.....This is one of the few venues where an investor can buy ASE's at well below melt.imageimage >>

Perry Hall, that is ONE of your best "punch in the gut " posts ever.

Kudos for putting it so bluntly. I'll never begrudge a man for making money,… unless he is stealing it by representing it to be worth it's weight/ intrinsically speaking
    Now about that 1995 W ASE .. I shudder to think…

• << <i>People who are buying into this company that promotes the selling of fake metals should have extremely bad things happen to them and their families. You, in effect are promoting the sales of fake metals. Karma is a b*tch, remember that. >>

Hopefully you are being a bit dramatic with your wish that "extremely bad things happen to them" AND their families too? Do you wish the same thing for people that buy ebay stock or use ebay? How about tobacco stocks? Or oil, chemical, military or auto stocks? Those companies have caused deaths and/or pollute our planet, surely that is worse than selling something fake. Hopefully you don't own any mutual funds because they will includes some "bad' companies.

Besides, Alibaba's business plan is not to sell fakes, it provides a platform for millions of sellers to sell their goods. I saw Jack Ma say that they are working to eliminate all counterfeits on the site.

Jeesh, karma is a weird belief if you want it to go after their families too.

U should really seek some professional counseling...
    keceph `anah
    No, I meant exactly waht I said Iceverything. Don't get off the subject, we're talking about metals on this metals forum. Your reasoning of buying the stock in that fraudulent company disgusts me.
    How ironic that people (not necessarily you) bityching about them being a site that allows and blatantly promotes the selling of counterfeit items are the very people justifying (to themselves so they can live with themself I suppose) to buy the stock, and then try to justify it by saying, "I don't plan on holding it too long." Like that somehow diminishes the fraud they are participating in.

Likewise, you just want to be on the contararian of everything rt1. It gets old quick.

• << <i>No, I meant exactly waht I said Iceverything. Don't get off the subject, we're talking about metals on this metals forum. Your reasoning of buying the stock in that fraudulent company disgusts me.
    How ironic that people (not necessarily you) bityching about them being a site that allows and blatantly promotes the selling of counterfeit items are the very people justifying (to themselves so they can live with themself I suppose) to buy the stock, and then try to justify it by saying, "I don't plan on holding it too long." Like that somehow diminishes the fraud they are participating in.

Likewise, you just want to be on the contararian of everything rt1. It gets old quick. >>

Okay, you prove to me that they have never kicked anyone off the site for selling counterfeits and don't offer mandatory refunds to anyone who unknowingly buys a fake, then I will not buy any of their stock.

Think of it this way: If you organized a neighborhood garage sale and you took $20 from each participant to advertise the sale, should you have a problem if one of the other vendors sells a fake? Should you go to jail?

I just think it's a little creepy that you say that the families of anyone that buys the stock should have extremely bad things happen to them also.

Beware the leaven of the Pharisee ...
    keceph `anah
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No, I meant exactly waht I said Iceverything. Don't get off the subject, we're talking about metals on this metals forum. Your reasoning of buying the stock in that fraudulent company disgusts me.

Likewise, you just want to be on the contararian of everything rt1. It gets old quick. >>

Okay, you prove to me that they have never kicked anyone off the site for selling counterfeits and don't offer mandatory refunds to anyone who unknowingly buys a fake, then I will not buy any of their stock.

Think of it this way: If you organized a neighborhood garage sale and you took $20 from each participant to advertise the sale, should you have a problem if one of the other vendors sells a fake? Should you go to jail?

I just think it's a little creepy that you say that the families of anyone that buys the stock should have extremely bad things happen to them also. >>

It's common knowledge that Alibaba is a major conduit for selling Chinese counterfeit goods (not just coins) into the USA so I wouldn't want any part of this criminal enterprise.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Speaking of fraud, how's that abuse of Paypal gift payments working out?

<< <i>Speaking of fraud, how's that abuse of Paypal gift payments working out? >>

Does this mean that POM should not do business with POM or some demise may come his way???
    keceph `anah
    azzwholes, complete azzwholes. I've offered regular PP for over a year now. Funny how buyers still want to pay using PPG even when I offer regular.