Home Precious Metals

Anyone ever sell bullion on craigslist?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Asking since the local "dealers" seem to have no customers any more and are whanging the spreads to ridiculous extremes.

I would ONLY consider it for quantity and no onesie-twosies and transaction to take place IN my bank.
For CASH.

And leave by circuitous route and I ...do...have a weapon permit and would carry just like I do at coin shows.

Tell me the bad things you can see.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see no problem but you may want to bring a friend who is big to watch your back.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Asking since the local "dealers" seem to have no customers any more and are whanging the spreads to ridiculous extremes.

I would ONLY consider it for quantity and no onesie-twosies and transaction to take place IN my bank.
    For CASH.

And leave by circuitous route and I ...do...have a weapon permit and would carry just like I do at coin shows.

image >>

Why go to a bank? They don't want to be involved in that . Just go to a mall and sit at the food court during the day. Other than that the only thing I would say is the buyer doesn't need to know your name so use an email address that doesn't "helpfully" append your full name to every email. Even if it doesn't add your name make sure its not tied to facebook or any of that rubbish where a person could punch in your email to search and bring up information about you , your family , friends etc. Make a new email with a phony name if need be.

I've bought and sold on craigslist I don't see any reason to bring a gun.

• Personally I wouldn't want them to see me get in my car. Wouldn't want them to get my plate number to look up if that's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they could find a way.
    Witty sig line currently under construction. Thank you for your patience.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I wouldn't want them to see me get in my car. Wouldn't want them to get my plate number to look up if that's possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they could find a way. >>

In some places your license plate number is public knowledge; Douglas, WY, in Converse County comes to mind.
    I've advertised it there, but never connected with a buyer.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Asking since the local "dealers" seem to have no customers any more and are whanging the spreads to ridiculous extremes.

For CASH.

image >>

Did you ever try the BST forum here?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

For CASH.

image >>

lol, so now you are a business expert in regards to brick and mortar coin/bullion stores... lol, well maybe your new theory may workout, please let us know how it goes...
    keceph `anah
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol, so now you are a business expert in regards to brick and mortar coin/bullion stores... lol, well maybe your new theory may workout, please let us know how it goes.. >>

Sorta. Had shop from 1979 to 2003.
    Just looking to get some locals to pay wholesale ASK prices.
    No hurry. Just very disgusted with silver. Looking to decrease a fairly large holding.

Don't want to ship the junk.

drive to any show and dump it...
    keceph `anah

>>

Sounds like a surefire way to increase sales.
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    drive to any show and dump it

They aren't buying there either, unless you're willing to absolutely give it away.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>drive to any show and dump it

They aren't buying there either, unless you're willing to absolutely give it away. >>

That's crazy, where are all these locations of non buyers?.... Minor leaguers?...

It is however slightly possible it could be some evidence which might help my lame prediction of gsr 73+ which = no liquidity...
    keceph `anah
    That's crazy, where are all these locations of non buyers?.... Minor leaguers?...

an 80 dealer monthly show just outside of Chicago. If they're selling, it's priceless...if I'm selling to them, it's garbage. I'm sure you've been thru the drill.
    well what they paying?... -.50???
    keceph `anah
    well what they paying?... -.50???

Right around that for non-engelhard or johnson matthey bars and they make you feel like they're doing you a favor by giving spot for engelhard/JM's.

Quantity discount doesn't matter either when buying, at least not with the ones I've dealt with. Same price if I buy 1 bar or 25, same price. F that!

<< <i>well what they paying?... -.50???

Right around that for non-engelhard or johnson matthey bars and they make you feel like they're doing you a favor by giving spot for engelhard/JM's.

Quantity discount doesn't matter either when buying, at least not with the ones I've dealt with. Same price if I buy 1 bar or 25, same price. F that! >>

lol, well it is interesting that OP and u bring up what many will deal with in the future or already have been experiencing...
    my point is why do you think thats not fair?... dont have to answer here, its more of a self examination...

the investment of phyzz and subsequent buying and selling will take a new set of skills to be developed,

one scenario- if its my(buyer) money then from my perspective i am now taking the risk on the pm price, you are wanting to release risk, so because of falling prices i need cushion for a couple reasons - 1, i may not be a long term holder, 2 i may have no immediate buyers if i am a trader, if i am an investor thing may also play out different... whats my cushion?, dont know 5-10 % is that fair?, well to you maybe not but to me it is, but to bad for you because you are coming back to fiat...

im sure cohodk may have some good points on this, but undersatnding that i(buyer) am a market maker and how great i am depends on many variables, liquidity being huge, as well as do i have in line buyers, and what are my trading percentages & time frames, basically a book can be written on what ones game plan is or could be... and guess what?, it doesnt include trying to make the seller whole or happy, unless of course it is in my(buyers) game plan...

i think most people dont understand the risk of the buyer because they had/have the investor mentality of they bought to hold long term or to make money, then all of a sudden they want to liquidate something, and all they want is the dough and they demand something that maybe will not be met, and sometimes it digs them a deeper hole...and they forget that they took the risk...

anyways it a very demanding skill set to be a trader who wins...

keceph `anah
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, don't forget that you buy the risk in order to accomplish various objectives, only one of which is , ideally, to make a mind-boggling, obscene amount of profit. Unfortunately, gov.com wants it all if you are good enough at the game to walk away a winner. Be careful to pay close attention to your net tax position every move you make.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    here are a few scenarios, with endless possibilities within each... T- Trader, I - Investor, C - Collector

T v T
    T v I
    T v C

edit to add: within those battles lies so many variables, ultimately what matters is apex POL (point of liquidity)...
    there could be innumerable pages written on how people (T,I,C) might have to add (-I) for the imbecile factor, try to liquidate an item(s), just on bst's here are a great textbook for learning how not to sell, or to be clearer how to have nothing sell you list or very small percentage...

funny and great learning, to identify the methods used for trying to sell posts...
    keceph `anah

For CASH.

image >>

Is there a paucity of customers because the dealers are asking too much or is there simply a decreased demand for silver?
    Answer me this rt1. Why is it that most, most that I have encountered and some of which I have become friends with outside of the realm of what goes on in the coin shop, why do they feel they need to rape people on both ends of the transaction? I suppose that's how, in part, why they are all "successful business owners" having been in business for decades and are usually family owned with direct relatives working for them.

That is the biggest thing that has held me back from taking what would be a giant leap of faith and opening my own store. I am smart enough to realize that i could not compete with them. They have 30+ years of raping people under their belt, they are all millionaires from their business model.
    What is mind boggling to me, even in this age of computers and sites such as eBay, the general public still goes to them, thinks that the dealer is their friend. One has to ask themself that has fallen into this trap, why are they (the dealer) always smiling when they (the sucker customer) walk thru the door? I'm speaking about the general public, not people like us here who know what's going on.

Again, most of the dealers I go to I have personal relationships with them outside of the coin/bullion world. Attended weddings down to card games with them. We have had the ability to seperate relationship life from the life inside the store, that is a blessing. But BOY when it's business time I feel like I am dealing with a totally different side of them. A side that is driven by greed sadly. I do get breaks from time to time from them but they are becoming fewer far and between and it's because of the stagnant market...the margins being so much thinner.

Someone will surely chime in and call me a dealer-hater and that I'm just jealous of them, and to a very small degree, some of that would be true. But I see how they "work the public" when I'm standing off to the side pretending to be looking at something in a showcase and can't help but ask myself how they live with themselves doing what they do just absolutely betaing the crap out of joe public...and then expect me to pay more/less retail??? I always fire back at them and say, if I want to pay retail I wouldn't waste my gasoline driving here and buy whatever I want on eBay. That, usually, reminds them that I'm not Joe Sucker walking thru the door and I buy in big enough volume to make it worth their while in discounting what I'm interested in. I tell them my money could just as easily go elsewhere, like eBay, and every one of them hate, I mean absolutely hate eBay. I figure I can play hard ball too but it's all gone about in a respectfull manner. They feel like eBay has somehow cut into their piece of the pie. But the smart ones have gotten with the program and sell on eBay more than they do business in the store...but they hate that they've had to do it to remain competitive.
    Who the hell cares who or what you encountered?, it only matters who you are...

nice dissertation on why you should open your own shop...
    Why haven't you?, FEAR... Cut the BS and make it happen...
    keceph `anah
    Oh and remember me and concede to my demands when I want all the cheap stuff...
    keceph `anah
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

For CASH.

image >>

Is there a paucity of customers because the dealers are asking too much or is there simply a decreased demand for silver? >>

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Best cure for high prices is high prices.

Interesting that the value of money includes a "circuitous route" with a handgun.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

<< <i>Answer me this rt1. Why is it that most, most that I have encountered and some of which I have become friends with outside of the realm of what goes on in the coin shop, why do they feel they need to rape people on both ends of the transaction? I suppose that's how, in part, why they are all "successful business owners" having been in business for decades and are usually family owned with direct relatives working for them.

That is the biggest thing that has held me back from taking what would be a giant leap of faith and opening my own store. I am smart enough to realize that i could not compete with them. They have 30+ years of raping people under their belt, they are all millionaires from their business model.
    What is mind boggling to me, even in this age of computers and sites such as eBay, the general public still goes to them, thinks that the dealer is their friend. One has to ask themself that has fallen into this trap, why are they (the dealer) always smiling when they (the sucker customer) walk thru the door? I'm speaking about the general public, not people like us here who know what's going on.

Again, most of the dealers I go to I have personal relationships with them outside of the coin/bullion world. Attended weddings down to card games with them. We have had the ability to seperate relationship life from the life inside the store, that is a blessing. But BOY when it's business time I feel like I am dealing with a totally different side of them. A side that is driven by greed sadly. I do get breaks from time to time from them but they are becoming fewer far and between and it's because of the stagnant market...the margins being so much thinner.

Someone will surely chime in and call me a dealer-hater and that I'm just jealous of them, and to a very small degree, some of that would be true. But I see how they "work the public" when I'm standing off to the side pretending to be looking at something in a showcase and can't help but ask myself how they live with themselves doing what they do just absolutely betaing the crap out of joe public...and then expect me to pay more/less retail??? I always fire back at them and say, if I want to pay retail I wouldn't waste my gasoline driving here and buy whatever I want on eBay. That, usually, reminds them that I'm not Joe Sucker walking thru the door and I buy in big enough volume to make it worth their while in discounting what I'm interested in. I tell them my money could just as easily go elsewhere, like eBay, and every one of them hate, I mean absolutely hate eBay. I figure I can play hard ball too but it's all gone about in a respectfull manner. They feel like eBay has somehow cut into their piece of the pie. But the smart ones have gotten with the program and sell on eBay more than they do business in the store...but they hate that they've had to do it to remain competitive. >>

The old saw, "I can pay list price anywhere." Or "why should I buy from you when I can buy from the same place that you do."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never tried selling on Craigslist. Located a few transgendered massage therapists if any of you boys need. Some of you could probably use 2.
    nice dissertation on why you should open your own shop...
    Why haven't you?, FEAR... Cut the BS and make it happen

Yes, some fear. Fear of losing everything I have worked for to this point to chance something that would surely ultimately fail.
    There is no way in hell I could compete with someone who's been in business for 30+ years selling the same stuff I would be attempting to sell at probably a higher price because they are millionaires that can buy in much larger volume than I could, it's all about volume to cost avg. and be able to buy at the cheapest price. They've built up a 30 year clientel and I hang a sign in the window saying come in and try me...and pay more? Sorry rt1, but I am smart enough to know I wouldn't stand a chance, at least not where I'm located, there's already a saturation of them around here.
    So you say, hunt out a market/location that I think would warrant opening a store, where there may be a demand for it. That, is even more taking a chance than opening it up than where I'm already located.
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    The ad could better be written, in this case w quantity, as;

Come Rob Me! Big payoff. Easy target.

I sell small amounts on craigs and just stick to what's offered, and sometimes make new good contacts.
    But there are safer methods for quantity.
    COA
    as a man thinketh...
    keceph `anah
    as a man thinketh...

Time and opportunities pass, unless the time thinking was well spent.

<< <i>as a man thinketh...

Time and opportunities pass, unless the time thinking was well spent. >>

lol, ill stick with thee word, u can stick with man's...
    keceph `anah
    If you're refering to 23:7, yeah I don't get that, makes 0 sense to me.
    If not, I'll stick with mine lol
    The culprit IS lack of demand.

It's the smart dealers who can mitigate that to SOME extent.

I had a list of buyers who wanted "layoff" bullion.
    If I had ...too much... I'd callem and sometimes get more from them than shipping it.

The TRUE winner is the dealer. IF HE STAYS FLAT IN POSITION.

Sell what he buys and buy what he sells.

The klinker is when the market itself gets a bit lopsided. There are times when the demand DOES get heavy.

Coors, that's when MOST coin shop customers are looking to BUY CHEAP.

Others are looking to SELL HIGH when the demand is low.

That's me.

Fortunately, I have a good quantity and can gradually piece it out as I originally PLANNED.

Once again there is no lack of demand at the right price (POL), there is lack of demand at the wrong prices, vis a vis bst posts, and whoever is complaining about no buyers...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>Once again there is no lack of demand at the right price (POL), there is lack of demand at the wrong prices, vis a vis bst posts, and whoever is complaining about no buyers... >>

I will not take less than $2.89 per ounce. !!!!!!! image
  • s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Have sold numerous times. Large sales ($10,000+) I meet at buyer's bank and he gets
    bank check from cashier payable to me.

Small sales, meet at Starbucks or Barnes and Noble and transaction in cash only.

<< <i>It is however slightly possible it could be some evidence which might help my lame prediction of gsr 73+ which = no liquidity... >>

The time has come...
    keceph `anah
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, i was never crazy about selling on craigslist. to much trouble at times from what i hear. jmo
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be carefull. Some real bad press on robberies lately from C/L auto, smart phone, jewelry ads
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
    I was just offered $1500 for 5 rolls of ASEs on CL, LOLOL.

<< <i>I was just offered $1500 for 5 rolls of ASEs on CL, LOLOL. >>

Guy was overpaying...
    keceph `anah

<< <i>

<< <i>I was just offered $1500 for 5 rolls of ASEs on CL, LOLOL. >>

Guy was overpaying... >>

Shirley you jest?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion about what something is worth, but if you think I'd sell them for that you're nuttier than squirrel chit.
    Then don't sell on CL, one wants liquidity from a CL listing must pay the premium for cash....
    keceph `anah

<< <i>Then don't sell on CL, one wants liquidity from a CL listing must pay the premium for cash.... >>

I would never accept or expect a discount [esp. one of that magnitude] for cash whether it was CL or some other venue. The main purpose for cash is because the other party is likely a stranger and therefore not trustworthy.

No intent to start a pissing contest. I don't feel obligated to take it in the shorts just because the terms are cash.

Then again, I had one guy offer me $260 a roll because in his opinion silver was going to go under $15. Safeguarding his future investment is his problem, not mine. Silver is NOT under $15 now, however. Does he expect a car dealer to sell a car for 20% less just because it will lose value later? I've done cash deals both by mail and face to face and no discount was ever offered or requested.
    Never did any business on that venue. I heard it's the place to sell for free and get massage therapists who are transgendered and don't have massages on their mind.
    I was always afraid to get a massage there.

<< <i>

<< <i>Then don't sell on CL, one wants liquidity from a CL listing must pay the premium for cash.... >>

I would never accept or expect a discount [esp. one of that magnitude] for cash whether it was CL or some other venue. The main purpose for cash is because the other party is likely a stranger and therefore not trustworthy.

No intent to start a pissing contest. I don't feel obligated to take it in the shorts just because the terms are cash.

Then again, I had one guy offer me $260 a roll because in his opinion silver was going to go under $15. Safeguarding his future investment is his problem, not mine. Silver is NOT under $15 now, however. Does he expect a car dealer to sell a car for 20% less just because it will lose value later? I've done cash deals both by mail and face to face and no discount was ever offered or requested. >>

My view a lil different than yours, even though I will use your view which seems to be right 4 u...

U r not a car dealer, u pay no rent, u pay no advertising, u don't have nor pay for security, u r a illegitimate car dealer,
    Therefore myself personally will not pay an impersonator... U = a CL lister....

CL is imo a no added value venue, hence the more value on green there, now on a forum like this there is indeed a different venue where value can and is created...
    keceph `anah
    In the NY metro area there always are buyers and sellers on CL. I have been both buyer and seller
    but more often a seller. Sold gold 3 times. One time was 20 Double Eagles and did the deal in the bank.
    Got a cashier's check and deposited in my account at that bank. (BofA) Another sale took place at cash machines
    at Citibank (cameras) another at the buyers store. Both those were for $.

I bought a silver collection for cash in front of a suburban library.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Problem is, with Any check, is if there is a problem, you lose. Ask them at the bank next time. If a problem does occur, its your problem now.

I thought about a big sale and what I'd do.
    I do the exchange at the teller or desk, have seller withdraw cash, hand it to me, then immediately hand to the teller for deposit in my account.
    COA
    Meet at the buyer's bank and have him get a check payable to you from the cashier.

If you see Paul Newman or Robert Redford, take your coins and walk out.
    Never.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Meet at the buyer's bank and have him get a check payable to you from the cashier.

If you see Paul Newman or Robert Redford, take your coins and walk out. >>

Why would you want a check?