Home Precious Metals

Gold proof Kennedy

gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
I want at least oneimage This coin popular with any more stacker's? I will put it away with my 2009 UHR my last favorite mint release. A new thread about a bright subject.
Avid collector of GSA's.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the baseballs, the early flipper gets the worm.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A roll of them would be really cool, but I don't think I could afford it so I'll probably have to settle for just one or two.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>I will put it away with my 2009 UHR my last favorite mint release. >>

Same here! Even though gold proof coins are not my favorites...
    I am planning to go to Philadelphia on the 5th to see if I can get it. Buying two on the first day could help paying for the keeper...
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    It's just "OK" for me. Nothing special about the design except the 1964-2014 date which is kinda cool. The denomination inscribed on the coin (half dollar) is a little weird given the gold content... reminds me (not in a good way) of the 25 cent denomination 5 oz. silver ATB pucks. Also not a fan of the tiny lettering on the reverse identifying the gold content... that really should have been make into an edge inscription, if anything. Reminds me too much of the knockoff coins you see on eBay, plated with five mils of pure gold image

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree. I don't think this will have the legs of the HOF baseball coins or the UHRs.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)

<< <i>It's just "OK" for me. Nothing special about the design except the 1964-2014 date which is kinda cool. The denomination inscribed on the coin (half dollar) is a little weird given the gold content... reminds me (not in a good way) of the 25 cent denomination 5 oz. silver ATB pucks. Also not a fan of the tiny lettering on the reverse identifying the gold content... that really should have been make into an edge inscription, if anything. Reminds me too much of the knockoff coins you see on eBay, plated with five mils of pure gold image

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree. I don't think this will have the legs of the HOF baseball coins or the UHRs. >>

I disagree but I am often wrong...image

What I see is that the Kennedy is one of the most popular designs among collectors and not.
    I have a small blog in Italy, 80% of the traffic is generated through searches about the Kennedy half dollar.
    True that a proof gold coin is different from a circulating half.

Will see. I think I'll like it as I like the RP Buffalo. Still have to see the gold HOF (I was positively impressed by the silver proof).
  • 4 coin silver set might be more interesting.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much of a half collector/stacker as I am, this whole entire set does nothing for me. And with the unlimited mintages on all of it (is that right, I forget) I don't even see a good flip opportunity.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see the issue price for the JFK half dollar gold proof. This can be a mixed bag...after getting hosed on the gold spouses, I don't want to get into any long series of modern gold issues. On the other hand, the one hit wonders of the fractional buffs and the UHR have done very well and I should have backed up the truck to the loading dock but I've had to survive with just one each. So here is a JFK commem but is it just another commem or something that will be cool and sought after by collectors and it is not even a full oz so I see confusion...color me skeptical? Hummmmmmmmm...how do you know? But yeah, I'm in for one; slab it and throw it in the box. If it does good then good, if it does poorly then it's trade bait. I would almost rather have a few rolls of au walkers instead.

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Like I said, I like the coin. Expensive Au from stackers stand point. Plain and simple nice to be excited about a new coin that happens to be gold too!

Avid collector of GSA's.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

As silly as a 5 oz. quarter to me. As a stacker I love the 64 kennedys from my roll searching days. I hate the changes to the portrait in the mid 90's or whenever it happened . Instead of making a big deal about using the old portrait on one issue just go back to it for all of the halfs.

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Proof? Or poof?...
    Big dud...
    keceph `anah
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll buy the limit from the Mint on all the Kennedy products, keep 3 for me and the boys and flip the rest.
    I'm hoping that the Mint either makes a change to the 2015 half dollar or eliminates it completely.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I don't see the government stopping anything that promotes a Kennedy. I'm in for one coin for the long haul.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see the government stopping anything that promotes a Kennedy. I'm in for one coin for the long haul. >>

What are the odds in 2019 the mint will issue a commemorative dollar to mark the 40th anniversary of a drunken ted kennedy drowning that woman in his upsidedown car?

It could be dual dated too , to mark the 2 month suspended sentence he got for that tiny little error in judgementimage
    I knew the bone head internet bully's know it all start they agenda sooner or later!image

Are any fellow formites trying to enjoy life and coin collecting/stacking anymore?image Peace, Tim
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will be interesting to see the issue price for the JFK half dollar gold proof. This can be a mixed bag...after getting hosed on the gold spouses, I don't want to get into any long series of modern gold issues. On the other hand, the one hit wonders of the fractional buffs and the UHR have done very well and I should have backed up the truck to the loading dock but I've had to survive with just one each. So here is a JFK commem but is it just another commem or something that will be cool and sought after by collectors and it is not even a full oz so I see confusion...color me skeptical? Hummmmmmmmm...how do you know? But yeah, I'm in for one; slab it and throw it in the box. If it does good then good, if it does poorly then it's trade bait. I would almost rather have a few rolls of au walkers instead. >>

$1240/each. Price posted on the mint's website today and is good for next week. It's on a grid and came in at the $1250-$1299 spot gold level.

EDIT: Correct grid price. image

<< <i>

$1240/each. Price posted on the mint's website today and is good for next week. It's on a grid and came in at the under $1249-$1299 spot gold level. >>

Thanksimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    It's over $350 per oz premium...
    keceph `anah
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I knew the bone head internet bully's know it all start they agenda sooner or later!image

Are any fellow formites trying to enjoy life and coin collecting/stacking anymore?image Peace, Tim >>

I like to stack when the time is opportune, but I am not a Kennedy fan and have no interest, not even for a quick flip.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

I have a no love for baseball but the gold coin is pretty sharp I admit ~ to each his own.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    gonna pass on these, not really a proof fan. Would like to see a W uncirc. gold version.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>gonna pass on these, not really a proof fan. Would like to see a W uncirc. gold version. >>

Yeah, in one of the promo pics I spotted spotty spots. image
    I do like the use of the original galvano and the look of the coin. It always bugs me when the Mint starts messing with an established design.

I knew it would happen.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As much of a half collector/stacker as I am, this whole entire set does nothing for me. And with the unlimited mintages on all of it (is that right, I forget) I don't even see a good flip opportunity. >>

I hear that a lot, and I wonder because of it too, but the UHR was "unlimited" as well, right? It went up, due to household limits, then down/stabilized a bit, then, once the time to order was done, it went up and up.
    These have that potential as well. I say "potential" because it is a crapshoot, imho.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

page one & 2 thanks dbimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    1/2oz of gold for 1240? ouch.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    Yes, my thoughts too. It seems like a $265 premium over spot is a little pricey.
    I could be wrong but many comments here and on the US coin forum remind me the UHR issue...
    As I said, I'll buy one for my collection to put together with the RP Buffalo and the UHR.
    When I will have the money, I'll double them to make both of my kids happy!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will get the four coin set..... the gold will be good for a short period of flipping, but after that, IMO, it will be flat. Cheers, RickO
    profiting from flipability will depend heavily on how quick the Mint fills orders. One of the reasons for the run up (and then decline) of the baseballs was the Mint's delays in getting them delivered. Looks like the mint is ready to ship large amounts this time.

Noon EST we just start clicking buy buy buy on website until it accepts my order? Never ordered from US Mint before.
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>Noon EST we just start clicking buy buy buy on website until it accepts my order? Never ordered from US Mint before. >>

First and foremost, bookmark the page where the Kennedy is. You may have troubles even getting there...
    You then need to click "add to cart" and the system will bring you to the Waiting Room where you know how long before you can complete the purchase.
    image Thanks, Matteo
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>3/4 oz >>

Thanks my mistake
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • reddwingreddwing Posts: 137 ✭✭
    I just called the us mint and they say 1-2 weeks to process and ship these Kennedy anniversary gold coins from receipt of order. Do we really believe that?

<< <i>I just called the us mint and they say 1-2 weeks to process and ship these Kennedy anniversary gold coins from receipt of order. Do we really believe that? >>

What is the hurryimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • I will be in line in DC with the family! If I can flip them right outside for a quick 250.00 profit you can have them. After the wait in line its seafood time and the wharf where the crabs are fresh and steamed to order! So who wants to buy my crabs tomorrow?
    Lots of pre-flipping on these. I personally believe anyone paying more than mint price will regret it. Minting to demand, initial 5 coin limit on orders. Another three weeks the market is going to be, and remain, flooded with these. Best of luck to the flippers.

The Mint's markup for Proof Gold isn't really out of line. My feeling is that there will be lots of these floating around, especially if the mint-to-demand lasts until Dec. 31st. The coin does look nice, but my opinion is that demand for these will wane with the baby boomers. The question is how many non-collectors will find out about these long after the fact and still want one.

I knew it would happen.
  • I am off to see the wizard. ......... in Washington DC!!!
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how many non-collectors will find out about these long after the fact and still want one. 

0. Non-boomers do not understand why the boomers have so much admiration for Kennedy.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

#43704xxx @ 12:09 for 3 coins
    strait waiting roomimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>#43704xxx @ 12:09 for 3 coins >>

I guess I was still in the queue cuz I was able to order two more at 12:17 #43705xxx. That's 12:17am on the 6th in Shanghai.
    I got on at 11:03 cst but is my first order.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    One hour wait but after that it was seamless...
    image Au Kennedy on the way
    Avid collector of GSA's.