Home Precious Metals
Options

Incredible find in a junk Mercury dime box.

At my local coin shop there is a box of circulated Mercury Dimes that are selling for spot price.

I bought 25 dimes. I pulled a couple of 1919D's in F/VF, two 1931D's in fine, but the real show stopper was a VF 1926S !!!!

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you looking for varieties like RPMs?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been, but know that I should.

I have been looking for high grade coins from 1938 and earlier. I am also assembling rolls of "junk silver" coins from that era (1910's to the 1930's).

They have lots of 1918 to 1933S Walkers in the junk silver pile as well. I pulled a 1919, 1919S, 1917D (obv mintmark) and multiple 1923S to 1933S Walkers in Fine grades. I also pulled an AU 1934, and a VG 1921D once. I am collecting "junk silver" rolls of these as well.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't been, but know that I should.

I have been looking for high grade coins from 1938 and earlier. I am also assembling rolls of "junk silver" coins from that era (1910's to the 1930's).

They have lots of 1918 to 1933S Walkers in the junk silver pile as well. I pulled a 1919, 1919S, 1917D (obv mintmark) and multiple 1923S to 1933S Walkers in Fine grades. I also pulled an AU 1934, and a VG 1921D once. I am collecting "junk silver" rolls of these as well. >>

Sounds like fun

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Whenever I buy junk Mercurys they get a once over and I've never been that lucky!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem I've had with junk boxes is that the dealer looks at what I pull out and then says the items are not for sale at that price. Then why did they put in there in the first place?!!

I used to find VF barber dimes, seated dimes, nice Canadian dimes, and even bust dimes in g-VG in junk boxes that were priced 25-50 cents over bullion vallue.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a '26-S in a junk silver box like 20+ years ago when silver was a lot lot less in value.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem I've had with junk boxes is that the dealer looks at what I pull out and then says the items are not for sale at that price. Then why did they put in there in the first place?!!

I used to find VF barber dimes, seated dimes, nice Canadian dimes, and even bust dimes in g-VG in junk boxes that were priced 25-50 cents over bullion vallue. >>

Back when I was working the shop I would sometimes put good stuff in the junk boxes to encourage people to look through them, and the rule was that anything they found was for sale at that price.

That said, some of the people going through the boxes were annoyingly indifferent to putting things back in the right boxes, so that the next person might find a Barber half in a $1 token box. When necessary, I did sometimes invoke the right to say "THat's in the wrong box."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Nice to see there are some dealers with junk boxes of silver with collectible coins in them.
    But…. but….. everything was searched already.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bulk 90% may have been searched at one time, but I think it's been largely split up, re-hashed, added-to, re-consolidated and re-sold enough times that you can still find a lot of collectable coinage.

The last time I bought a full bag of 90% halves, it came in 2 separate bags of $500 face each. One of them was $500 in Unc 1964 Kennedys, the other was typical 90% circulated halves, but when I looked through them, I assembled 3 complete sets of Frankies. Kinda fun.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Very good !
    Have found everything but the 16-d and the 21's looking thru bags of dimes
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those junk boxes can be interesting..... but if a dealer tried increasing the price after I made selections, I would be most upset and never frequent said dealer again. Cheers, RickO