Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > PRECIOUS METALS [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: S.S. Gairsoppa 10oz bars at a decent price
Created On Saturday December 21, 2013 7:46 PM
Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]

Timbuk3
Collector

Monday December 23, 2013 1:30 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Nice, I like it but not at that price !!!

-------------------------
Timbuk3

Bottom

JohnMaben
Veteran

Monday December 23, 2013 8:44 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

According to a Huffington Post story, 20% of the recovered metal went back to the Insurer I believe... I know other products have been made from the silver, and perhaps more will be, so the number of 10 oz bars is unknown at least to me. I know of only two other companies selling them and I believe all are in the same ballpark on price. When I heard about these I was afraid the premium would be much higher based on what must have been staggering recovery costs, legal fees, and past shipwreck recovery item prices.

MCM

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Monday December 30, 2013 12:58 PM

User is online View thread in raw text format

Received my bar with COA today.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Bottom

OperationButter
Veteran

Monday December 30, 2013 1:43 PM

Received one from MCM (was an xmas present from the parents). As always, great quality and packaging from MCM. Thanks John/Andy and crew.

The bar is very nice and the history is very interesting. FWIW, I like it a lot but would only buy 1.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

Bottom

AnkurJ
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 8:54 AM

I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
What we do in life echos in eternity.

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 9:24 AM

<< I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do. >>

Run and don't walk to your post office and demand to speak to the post master. MCM can't do anything for you.

Bottom

JohnMaben
Veteran

Tuesday December 31, 2013 7:50 PM

<<

<< I just tracked my order and according to USPS it was delivered but is nowhere to be found. I emailed MCM via ebay to see what I should do. >>

Run and don't walk to your post office and demand to speak to the post master. MCM can't do anything for you.
>>

Unfortunately this is basically correct. I've been on the receiving end of this situation and agree completely it's an inconvenience but you have to figure out what happened USPS won't tell us (MCM) anything that you don't already know which is "delivered" according to them... check with neighbors then head to the PO and ask for the postmaster.

BTW, thanks to those that bought and are still buying. I think this will continue to be a popular bar and when they're gone, well, who knows...

John

MCM

Edited: Tuesday December 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM by JohnMaben

Bottom

AnkurJ
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 7:56 PM

Will go to the PO on Thursday. Noting as if today.
John , I'm hoping these packages were insured....?

PCGS Registries
Box of 20

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 8:34 PM

<< Will go to the PO on Thursday. Noting as if today.
John , I'm hoping these packages were insured....?
>>

Insurance won't help if PO indicates delivered. Why are you waiting until Thursday? You should have made a straight line to the PO today... This is not an issue between YOU & MCM, but between you and the PO who claims they delivered the item.

Bottom

AnkurJ
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 8:38 PM

I was working today....
My mailbox door was open according to my wife. Who is liable if it was taken??

PCGS Registries
Box of 20

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 9:35 PM

<< I was working today....
My mailbox door was open according to my wife. Who is liable if it was taken??
>>

Unfortunately, it's your loss. You may need to file a Police Report and also contact the Postal Inspector for your area.

Bottom

AnkurJ
Choose Your Title

Tuesday December 31, 2013 9:43 PM

Unless you work for ebay, mcm, or the USPS, you have no valid reason to make such a statement.

PCGS Registries
Box of 20

Bottom

JohnMaben
Veteran

Wednesday January 01, 2014 4:45 AM

OPA is right. However, I would try and relax a little if I were you, if you can. This happens I am guessing in about 3 or 4 times a month with us as we ship over 1000 packages a day. However, usually all but maybe one of those are recovered. There is at least a 50% chance the post office will figure it out but you should be polite but clear and assertive that your next stop is the police or sheffif's dept if they don't have an explanation for you within a day or two. Virtually all sellers including MCM have statements in terms that clearly state responsibility ends with a "delivered" notice from the carrier. Insurers won't help us in these rare instances, sometimes eBay or Paypal will step in. Like every large volume seller we use private insurance when and where needed. We cover every legitimate instance of loss but not those related to a delivered status. It is then a carrier problem which we do not control. We'll do our very best to help you after you have exhausted your options and at this point I think you should do some work on your end then get back to me by Private Message and I will put you in direct touch with our in house eBay manager. Try not to sweat it for now, it's too early.

John

MCM

Bottom

PerryHall
Coin Connoisseur

Wednesday January 01, 2014 4:55 AM

<< Nice, I like it but not at that price !!! >>

Agree. Be patient. They'll be available on the secondary market in a few months for much closer to melt. They're neat but they aren't rare.

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Wednesday January 01, 2014 6:48 AM

<< Unless you work for ebay, mcm, or the USPS, you have no valid reason to make such a statement. >>

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm retired and have no association with the above mentioned entities. I'm familiar with what you are going through, having experienced a similar dilemma. I eventually had to charge off my loss on my income tax.
Good luck

Edited: Wednesday January 01, 2014 at 6:48 AM by OPA

Bottom

JohnMaben
Veteran

Wednesday January 01, 2014 10:02 AM

<<

<< Nice, I like it but not at that price !!! >>

Agree. Be patient. They'll be available on the secondary market in a few months for much closer to melt. They're neat but they aren't rare.
>>

With regard to the 10 oz bars, we don't have any idea how many they will make before pulling the plug just to be clear. They are making many other products with the silver so I can say it will not be an endless supply, nor do I ever expect to see them sell below what a name brand bar would sell, at minimum a 10% premium over that as they were at the short lived $239 and free shipping special, of course is just IMHO.

John

MCM

Bottom

derryb
Metalnut

Wednesday January 01, 2014 10:16 AM

best to first talk with you mail carrier and as soon as possible while recent deliveries are still fresh in his mind. Being a package, he may remember leaving it at a different house.

PM me for step by step Mr. Rebates instructions and get an additional 1% on ebay. “Price and Value are separating and people forget that price is what you pay, but value is what you get.” - Chris Martenson

Bottom

agentjim007
Master Collector

Wednesday January 01, 2014 10:17 AM

At $239 PayPal does not require a signature for delivery. At the regular price of $279 a signature would have been required.

Bottom

VanHalen
Collector

Wednesday January 01, 2014 1:30 PM

<<

best to first talk with you mail carrier and as soon as possible while recent deliveries are still fresh in his mind. Being a package, he may remember leaving it at a different house.
>>

I did just that a few months ago when some coins showed as delivered but weren't in my mailbox. I stopped the carrier a few doors down the next day and he called the substitute carrier who had delivered the day before and ask if he remembered what happened. The sub thought it was left outside my door and not in the mailbox. Anyway it wasn't. The package was in the locked mailbox next to mine and I got it when my carrier got to my house (my neighbor would have given it to me had they been home). It was one of those $240 items with delivery confirmation only and I was a bit anxious for 24 hours.

Bottom

OPA
Choose Your Title

Sunday January 12, 2014 9:39 AM

<< 220,000+ bars according to this. No wonder they lowered prices.

Linky
>>

Report did not disclose, that the Royal Mint is producing up to 1,000,000 1/4 oz Brittanias from the same lot.

BTW ... price is now $244.00

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
FORUMS > PRECIOUS METALS [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.