Home Precious Metals
Options

Does BAD mushrooms really turn silver black?

OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
???

Steve
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• Options
    No. Old Italian wives tale. IIRC, Italians would place a silver coin in cooking mushrooms, and if it turned black, they were toxic. The coin never turned black and whole families were wiped out. One family in New Hyde Park, NY were all poisoned on the same day by ingesting poison mushrooms that they had gathered.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    from wikipedia:
    Folklore of poisonous mushrooms

"Poisonous mushrooms blacken silver." – None of the known mushroom toxins have a reaction with silver.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    The most recent scientific research on safe mushrooms suggests that if you keep voters in the dark and throw them a little horsesh*t once in a while, your debt can mushroom, but it will be very red, not black.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... heard that tale often in the Pacific Northwest where mushroom hunting is a big pursuit..... told people over and over again that it was not true.... Seems every year there are a couple of deaths up there due to mushrooms.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>No. Old Italian wives tale. IIRC, Italians would place a silver coin in cooking mushrooms, and if it turned black, they were toxic. >>

When I was young - in Italy - I heard about a silver spoon instead (or a piece of garlic).
    Luckily, nobody in my family ever believed it. But we usually eat only Porcini mushrooms which are eay to recognize (and the best ones, imo).
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009