Home Precious Metals
Options

Is the government going to be tracking gold purchases in 2013?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just making a run to the Post Office, and Glen Beck was saying that the government is going to be tracking gold purchases as part of the obamacare law starting in 2013. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    It wouldnt surprise me but that is very worrisome.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Get your "before tracking" stack now! First passive tracking, then transaction and holding taxation.
    COA
  • Options
    ICTA doesn't say anything about this on their website. I'm just trying to find out the facts. Being tracked is one thing, figuring out how to deal with it is another. Making sure that you know all of the rules is paramount.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholesalers would have been using that info to push sales in 2012. They haven't been doing so.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wholesalers would have been using that info to push sales in 2012. They haven't been doing so. >>

This. It would have been all over the news or something as well.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps Beck read it on the Internet & the Internet doesn't lie. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Nothing that i can find .........

lots of DISINFORMATION that came from the now repealed 1099 ---- $600 reporting rule!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Beck flack for Goldline? A little incentive (lie) to get people to buy before the end of the year, perhaps?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Glen Beck? Really? I guess i'll leave it at that.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the government going to be tracking gold purchases in 2013?

does it matter whether they do or they don't "track" anything? It's what they intend to DO with the information that matters?

Are they going to leave ordinary stackers alone and go after illegal money laundering and criminal-level tax evasion? then I'm probably for it.

are they going to make too low a threshold for metals tradings profit so it inconveniences medium sized traders and unfairly squeezes the little guys? then I'm probably against it

are they going to step on my neck and steal my gold? Then I'm definitely against it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    The question wasn't about Glen Beck. Thanks to those who responded with some info.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the government going to be tracking gold purchases in 2013?

does it matter whether they do or they don't "track" anything? It's what they intend to DO with the information that matters?

Are they going to leave ordinary stackers alone and go after illegal money laundering and criminal-level tax evasion? then I'm probably for it.

are they going to make too low a threshold for metals tradings profit so it inconveniences medium sized traders and unfairly squeezes the little guys? then I'm probably against it

are they going to step on my neck and steal my gold? Then I'm definitely against it. >>

It does matter if they're going to track it or not.

If they do, we all know the gov't intentions won't be good for us.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I better get busy.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The govt created the regulations to initially go after money launderers such as in Patriot Act 2.

But the long term goal is to reign in the entire populace when it comes to trading/bartering precious metals. It wasn't like they couldn't see this coming down the road.
    PA2 has a very stifling description of what bullion is. Today your MS66 Saint, MS65 $20 Lib, and MS64 $10 Indian qualify as bullion. So far, wheat cents with a 2.4X
    value over spot would still be considered collectible. But a 17% drop in copper prices from here ($3/lb) would classify then as bullion per PA2. I guess that makes MS64 and
    MS65 common date Morgan dollars as a potentially better game right now since they are quite a ways from the 2X spot level.

The IRS doesn't yet have such an onerous definition of bullion...but they know where they can get one if they need it. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just making a run to the Post Office, and Glen Beck was saying that the government is going to be tracking gold purchases as part of the obamacare law starting in 2013. Does anyone know if this is accurate? >>

I have heard nothing about such tracking. If correct such tracking would already be a hot topic in PM circles.

Was any source cited in the broadcast?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The question wasn't about Glen Beck. Thanks to those who responded with some info. >>

The source of a rumor is as relevant as the rumor itself.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    So does that mean they will track all paper gold and silver that is supposedly backed up by physical. I would think JPM (the FED) would lobby against tracking gold.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just making a run to the Post Office, and Glen Beck was saying that the government is going to be tracking gold purchases as part of the obamacare law starting in 2013. Does anyone know if this is accurate? >>

Beck is a very disturbed individual, to the point of being a right-wing crank.
    Doesn't he also flack for Goldline.
    If Glen Becks told me the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, I'd still ask him for proof!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't trust our current government to have this information. There is a precedent for a democrat administration confiscating gold owned by private citizens. It happened in 1933.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it wouldnt surprise me if they werent tracking it alreday. jmo
  • Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭
    They almost certainly have in the past and I would assume they collect it in some form today.

I agree with Baley otherwise.

It's hard to imagine that they would use that data to confiscate your gold, but it's also hard to ignore the fact that they've taken citizen's gold before.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't fight the FED and don't test the IRS. image
    when they do catch an avoider they look into his past.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>it wouldnt surprise me if they werent tracking it alreday. jmo >>

Of course they are. I'm sure "they" are tracking these (all) threads now...Patriot Act 2. If need be a 2013 Executive Order can make the 1933 decision look like child's play, meaning all numismatic gold confiscated except for high end "museum" pieces.
  • Options
    except for high end "museum" pieces

Comrade, if they track everything - why do you think that they would consider "museum pieces" exempt from any confiscation order? I would think that some high-ranking facist bureaucrat would certainly want those for his own personal museum display. Don't you?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Some of you need to take anti paranoia medication. Reality check...Track every minor gold purchase? Not a realistic possibility...This ain't the 1930's, to much gold in individual holdings and the population has trippled.
  • Options

<< <i>except for high end "museum" pieces

Comrade, if they track everything - why do you think that they would consider "museum pieces" exempt from any confiscation order? I would think that some high-ranking facist bureaucrat would certainly want those for his own personal museum display. Don't you? >>

Those "evil rich" in power will take care of their own. image Will they confiscate the likes of a Cardinal collection? I highly doubt it. Not being paranoid, just looking at history. And anything is possible now.
  • Options
    OPA, let's review - they wanted to track every $600 purchase, not just of gold but of everything - until the outcry overwhelmed them. Do you remember? The reporting requirements were about to strangle every small business out there. It wasn't that long ago.

The election's over now, so they have another 4 years in which to meddle. Like renman says, anything is possible, although they have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of you need to take anti paranoia medication. Reality check...Track every minor gold purchase? Not a realistic possibility...This ain't the 1930's, to much gold in individual holdings and the population has trippled. >>

We have a thing called computers today. Most purchases and sales with leading bullion dealers and local shops going forward are quite traceable. If you buy a 1/10th AGE with cash
    you probably could stay outside the radar...assuming you sell them for cash in 1 coin increments as well. But for most people doing 1 oz or more at a time, they can probably be traced.
    Within the next couple of years there will be major oversight of the bullion market with a ton more paperwork. I don't think even the tiny purchases will go exempt unless it's new
    jewelry purchases. My state requires all transactions to be recorded and held for X number of days to allow police to check for stolen merchandise if they so desire. This oversight isn't
    being done to get your gold from you. But rather to keep as few people as possible from even thinking about investing in PMs. And it creates a nice trail for the tax man too.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>OPA, let's review - they wanted to track every $600 purchase, not just of gold but of everything - until the outcry overwhelmed them. Do you remember? The reporting requirements were about to strangle every small business out there. It wasn't that long ago.

The election's over now, so they have another 4 years in which to meddle. Like renman says, anything is possible, although they have bigger fish to fry at the moment. >>

Yup, I remember....that would have been one gigantic clusterfurk..Worse than trying to enforce prohibition during the 20's, which wasn't successful either.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of you need to take anti paranoia medication. Reality check...Track every minor gold purchase? Not a realistic possibility...This ain't the 1930's, to much gold in individual holdings and the population has trippled. >>

We have a thing called computers today. Most purchases and sales with leading bullion dealers and local shops going forward are quite traceable. If you buy a 1/10th AGE with cash
    you probably could stay outside the radar...assuming you sell them for cash in 1 coin increments as well. But for most people doing 1 oz or more at a time, they can probably be traced.
    Within the next couple of years there will be major oversight of the bullion market with a ton more paperwork. I don't think even the tiny purchases will go exempt unless it's new
    jewelry purchases. My state requires all transactions to be recorded and held for X number of days to allow police to check for stolen merchandise if they so desire. This oversight isn't
    being done to get your gold from you. But rather to keep as few people as possible from even thinking about investing in PMs. And it creates a nice trail for the tax man too. >>

From what I understand, the waiting period applies to pawn shop transactions and not to licensed bullion dealers. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OPA, in CAL.

all purchases by coin dealers are supposed to have your I.D. attached to the transaction. A DOJ reporting requirement with a special lic. in most cities.

Here's how I see the slippery slope. "They" don't care how much you buy, "they" want a report on when you sell and for how much.

No one has ever asked me for an I.D. when I buy. But they are supposed to get one when a person sells.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

No. Stop listening to Glen Beck.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

No. Stop listening to Glen Beck. >>

Yeah, it would be much wiser to listen to reputable and honest news stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC, RT...
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May be best of all to listen to all the voices with your ears, then filter the messages with the thing that's between them.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    For those that are in the "dark" regarding the 1099-B requirements, which btw have been in place for years, click on the below link. (Compliments of JMBullion)
    In addition, don't subscribe to all the paranoid conspiracy b.s. that has been posted by so called experts. A majority of time, it's a self serving philosophy.

reportable bullion transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The government will always track you. The NSA , The FED, The IRS and the local sherif, police, FBI, CIA, etc., has every tool necessary.

Don't be afraid. You are not alone.
  • Options

<< <i>The government will always track you. The NSA , The FED, The IRS and the local sherif, police, FBI, CIA, etc., has every tool necessary.

Don't be afraid. You are not alone. >>

Yup with your mindset, they are probably tracking you as I type. I, for one, have nothing to hide and all those agencies would be wasting their funds in tracking me. image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The government will always track you. The NSA , The FED, The IRS and the local sherif, police, FBI, CIA, etc., has every tool necessary.

Don't be afraid. You are not alone. >>

Yup with your mindset, they are probably tracking you as I type. I, for one, have nothing to hide and all those agencies would be wasting their funds in tracking me. image >>

I had my information / handwriting, fingerprints, etc., listed with the INTERPOL, 20 + years ago when some jerk who I helped out , stole my identity. And with 8 years in the military, you can bet, I have a track record.
    The only thing is, those agencies are on MY SIDE. It's good to be an American. With my mindset, even the Secret Service got involved image They caught that POW (piece of work)