Home Precious Metals
Options

How long will gold be of more value than platinum???

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the most difficult mined platinum doomed to be a slave to gold???

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing if and when the DOW takes out 14,000 or makes a new high. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum is mostly an industrial metal so I'm guessing that when we get out of this recession Platinum will once again exceed gold in value as industrial demand rises and the supply stays fairly static.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until demand for new automobiles drastically increases.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as there is irrational discouragement.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irrational discouragement, I like that term. See also, "Stubborn Pessimism" and "It's Hip to be Cynical"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be in such a rush. It'll happen in due course.

Practical realism.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    The gap of Au over Pt is now a tiny bit over $200. Is that the largest gap in modern times in favor of Au?
  • Options
    one problem with platinum among investors is that it looks just like silver (and nickel, and stainless steel, and a dozen other white metals)

There's only one Gold

• Options
    Platinum is denser and just as much fun to hold in your hand.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as she wants her diamonds set in gold...

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Platinum is a scary metal meaning a price drop of almost $1500 in 08 from its high of $2300 an ounce. That 2011 U.S. mint platinum proof has seen a price drop of $500 in 2011 alone. An $800 an ounce entry point if probably the safest it will ever get.
  • Options
    The gap of Au over Pt is now a tiny bit over $200. Is that the largest gap in modern times in favor of Au?

The gap has narrowed a bit, $177

• Options
    Pt-Au gap now $155

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Platinum is "white, cold, sterile".

Gold is "yellow like the sun, warm and inviting".

Platinum is much more rare and has better fundamentals.

Gold is emotional.

Gravity and electromagnatism are strong forces, but nothing is as strong as human emotion.

This is why gold has (more) value.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Remember that you can eat gold too...

• Options
    Mmmmm Toro

the fish is worth way more than the gold leaf on top

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ans: All of the above. Gold is the more desireable metal for many reasons. Platinum has an important industrial use that is currently in decline, but may pick up.

The joker in the deck is: What would happen if some different, cheaper and/or more effective alternative to the catalytic converter was to be invented?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    What we have here, is a "pricing anomaly" relative to scarcity. It's good enough to warrant buying some platinum and that's what I've been doing for my Plat collection.

Portfolio balancing is another good reason to consider platinum now, particularly if you own gold already.

If they figure out an efficient catalyst that is effective enough to replace platinum, I for one will be surprised. The chemistry and metalurgy makes it work. Don't think that they haven't been trying, but I just don't expect a breakthrough. Platinum is valuable for a reason.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    For US jewelry use, the high end stuff is platinum, or at least white gold. The rest of the world may still love wearing yellow gold, but in our country, increasingly,

Yellow gold jewelry is viewed by some as passe, as cheap looking and feeling (esp. 10k), and as common. At worst, "Mr. T" jokes are in the offing with a lot of yellow gold around the neck

• Options

<< <i>Yellow gold jewelry is viewed by some as passe, as cheap looking and feeling (esp. 10k), and as common. At worst, "Mr. T" jokes are in the offing with a lot of yellow gold around the neck >>

Baley, I pity the fool that disrespects the yellow metal.
  • Options
    Baley, I pity the fool that disrespects the yellow metal.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yellow gold jewelry is viewed by some as passe, as cheap looking and feeling (esp. 10k), and as common. At worst, "Mr. T" jokes are in the offing with a lot of yellow gold around the neck >>

Baley, I pity the fool that disrespects the yellow metal. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Gold is flashy, and brassy. Platinum is classy and sassy!

Au-Pt spread now $145 image

Another great Clubber Lang quote:

Announcer: "Clubber, what is your prediction for the fight?" Clubber: "Prediction?" Announcer: "Yes, prediction." Clubber: "Pain"

• Options
    American auto plants are hiring again.
    Japanese are opening/expanding US plants and also hiring.
    More workers = more autos = more catalysts = more PGM demand = higher prices?
    Mebbe.
    ----
    On the other hand gold is more universally recognised (probably how it acquired that flashy reputation). Of course they slammed Madonna for the same and look at what she's worth!
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know when!

I have developed a lovely allergy to my gold alloy engagement ring/wedding band. I have a platinum band in the mail...in about 6 weeks when I have determined I am NOT allergic to platinum and go to order a new setting for my engagement ring...well platinum is sure to triple overnight.

According to my husband the Dermatologist broke the man-code--apparently he should have told me to try either ceramic or plastic, not platinum...

Stork

(ps does anyone recommend a good jeweler that will work through the mail--I'm stationed overseas right now)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I traded 10 oz of Au for 10 oz of Pt a couple of months back...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Gold is in it proper place!image

platinum ~sux

Gold ~ ROCKS!

Yellow Gold is $$image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How long will gold be of more value than platinum??? >>

By July 31.... Gold had it's day ... now it's Platinum's & Rhodium's turn. Got to get every one involved... like musical chairs... silver was the odd man out during the last go around.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Weiss's swap trade will look better and better this year, I think. The only problem is the tax bite on the gain.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a tax payment on a gain over the alternative scenario any day of the week.
  • Options
    the spread continues to narrow, now $134

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catalytic converters account for less than 1/3 of total platinum demand. If that source of demand went to zero overnight, the price would take a hit, but there would still be plenty of demand from other quarters to support the price and keep it from going too far down.

With an annual new supply of less than 7 million ounces, and 93% of that supply mined in politically uncertain regions, I think platinum is a decent value at today's prices even if automotive and industrial demand for the metal declines over time.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Au-Pt spread now $116.

Anyone else expecting this trend to continue?

• Options
    Au-Pt spread now $116.

The "Platinum Watch" Thread. I love it!image

I expect this trend to continue, but in my opinion it does depend on industrial demand for platinum vs. the international reserve currency status of the dollar and the evolution of the Western Debt Crisis.

As long as the world economy doesn't grind completely to a halt, platinum will continue to recover. I think it's been oversold way beyond any fundamental reasons. Platinum:Gold ought to be at least 2:1.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Au-Pt spread now $116.

The "Platinum Watch" Thread. I love it!image

I expect this trend to continue, but in my opinion it does depend on industrial demand for platinum vs. the international reserve currency status of the dollar and the evolution of the Western Debt Crisis.

As long as the world economy doesn't grind completely to a halt, platinum will continue to recover. I think it's been oversold way beyond any fundamental reasons. Platinum:Gold ought to be at least 2:1. >>

Well said, and I agree.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    could change soon, auto sales seem to be picking up, especially in Japan.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Overdate - Thanks for posting that!

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>On the other hand . . .

A less-than-bullish analysis of platinum. >>

Excellent analysis. It boils down to what the car industry will do. While it will take years to reach pre-crisis sales numbers, I'm seeing a lot of new cars on the road. When you think about it there are a lot of people not buying homes now. Cars are the second big ticket item and I believe a choice between the two will become a new car. I'm banking that the crisis and subsequent reduction in auto demand have caused platinum to be oversold. The fact that it is now below gold re-enforces this (unless gold is overbought). Put me in the buy platinum group.

• Options
    Yes, great article, thanks for posting. Links like that and analysis like in this thread make this place awesome.

Wasn't the spike in Plat prices a couple years ago due to problems in the South African mines? A power interruption or something?

Something like that (or a strike (or other social unrest) I guess is the other big danger) could cause another spike (which the author hints might again be short-lived, making the wise thing to do if/when that happens is to take some profits?)

• Options
    Wasn't the spike in Plat prices a couple years ago due to problems in the South African mines? A power interruption or something?

Big problems with infrastructure of power generation and transmission which is essential for cooling water and air circulation in the mines. That problem hasn't gone away. Some mine collapses & subsequent strikes - a situation which can't be getting any better because the mines have to keep going deeper.

Social unrest - that I'm not sure of in S.Africa these days.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Spread between platinum and gold spot prices continues to narrow, currently $108

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    The spread is under $100 now.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    $89 at this time...

• Options
    Au-Pt spread now down to $42. This unusual price inversion appears to be ending..

In the the physical market? any day now, maybe already?

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Au-Pt spread now down to $42. This unusual price inversion appears to be ending..

In the the physical market? any day now, maybe already? >>

You have been all over this one so far. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    $18.00 spread now, but I don't necessarily like how it happened. Gold down $87.00 today, and platinum down $37.00.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    11 buck spread at the moment..

• Options
    I'm going to predict that March, 2012 is the month the Pt/Au price inversion ends, and that by 3/31 Platinum will be trading higher per ounce than gold.

• Options
    --Severian the Lame