Home Precious Metals

Using some pm profits to get off the grid

Jim Sinclair has recently been reminding us that in the future there will be shortages of goods, electricity, etc as hyper-inflation comes and he is recommending that everyone not rely on the grid. I'm currently looking for a property that can be somewhat off the grid and am curious how many others are doing the same or have already done so.

Comments

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have also been looking for a parcel of raw land that has water shed, timber, proper elevation etc. Not so much to move the family to but simply
    to have it and begin prepping it for use if needed.

Loves me some shiny!
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim Sinclair has recently been reminding us that in the future there will be shortages of goods, electricity, etc as hyper-inflation comes and he is recommending that everyone not rely on the grid. I'm currently looking for a property that can be somewhat off the grid and am curious how many others are doing the same or have already done so. >>

Just make sure it's not Ocean Front property, property located near any fault lines, close to major rivers, nuke plants, dormant volcanoes & people. Central Antarctica may just be the placeimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine is off the grid in New England. My observation -- it is essential to be tech savvy and good with tools; his system combines solar on good days, supported by fossil fuels and a massive battery backup. It requires a bit of tinkering from time to time ...

Higashiyama
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Australia.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Australia. >>

Yup..I understand the Aborigines are great teachers on how to survive of the land.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Australia. >>

Didn't Lex Luthor already gobble up Australia?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if yer "off the grid" for electricity, are you also off the natural gas, tap water, garbage collection, cable tv and internet, access to groceries and medical care, friend and neighbor, and other grids, too?

has anyone here ever lived "off the grid" for any length of time, we'd like to hear about your experiences in honest detail

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    a fantasy of mine has been a single-wide somewhere near Taos, NM.

an intersting movie one should check out "off-the-map" not really about living off the grid, but a soul-searcher of values.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A windmill and a wringer washer powered by a bicycle and a propane refrigerator and a horse and buggy.

I like the Amish but I only like to visit.
    Have a nice day
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A windmill and a wringer washer powered by a bicycle and a propane refrigerator and a horse and buggy.

I like the Amish but I only like to visit. >>

Yeah I was thinking we didn't have any Amish posters here.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Could be this well known person can give you the tips you are looking for!-image
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • I have done this recently.
    Got rid of the place near the city. Now out in the boondocks with several acres and 2 stocked ponds. (Our road is not on any map either)
    On the electrical grid for now, but have generators when the lights go off.
    Nice stack of PM's and the usual fiat currency.
    Nice size garden going.
    1500lbs of stocked rice and beans. 6-8months of other food stuffs stored.
    Water filtration system in place for collecting rain water.
    Then you have to provide 'protection' for you and yours.

Its easy once you start moving to do all this.
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm already off the grid....I live in Maine image
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, Google "homesteading" to find some good forums and sources. Even becoming a little self-sufficient is a good thing I think.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live about 10 miles outside of a smaller city, and I have some idea of what to do but I'm not self-sufficient by any means.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Some MIT scientists recently made a cheap 70% efficient 'artificial leaf' which can supply energy to a small home. I suggest you google it.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I have done this recently.
    Got rid of the place near the city. Now out in the boondocks with several acres and 2 stocked ponds. (Our road is not on any map either)
    On the electrical grid for now, but have generators when the lights go off.
    Nice stack of PM's and the usual fiat currency.
    Nice size garden going.
    1500lbs of stocked rice and beans. 6-8months of other food stuffs stored.
    Water filtration system in place for collecting rain water.
    Then you have to provide 'protection' for you and yours.

Its easy once you start moving to do all this. >>

Protection from what? Someone after your rice and beans?image

• My parents have lived off rain water all their lives.

Dad says when he was young, the only things he really needed was his rifle and his knife.
    Everything else he could get if he had those two items.
    Dad says when he was young, the only things he really needed was his rifle and his knife.
    Everything else he could get if he had those two items. .

really? how did he get a date with a pretty girl?

• The girl got him.
    I call her Mom.

<< <i>Dad says when he was young, the only things he really needed was his rifle and his knife.
    Everything else he could get if he had those two items. .

really? how did he get a date with a pretty girl? >>

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My parents have lived off rain water all their lives.

Everything else he could get if he had those two items. >>

So, how is Daniel Boone doing these days anyway? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>My parents have lived off rain water all their lives.

Everything else he could get if he had those two items. >>

Did he rob people?image
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>has anyone here ever lived "off the grid" for any length of time, we'd like to hear about your experiences in honest detail >>

Yes, I went camping once for six days. Everything about living off the grid sucked (except for drinking of way to many beers by the campfire part) MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    ^+1

Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>if yer "off the grid" for electricity, are you also off the natural gas, tap water, garbage collection, cable tv and internet, access to groceries and medical care, friend and neighbor, and other grids, too? has anyone here ever lived "off the grid" for any length of time, we'd like to hear about your experiences in honest detail >>

The seems to describe the majority of people living on the planet. And one can be off the grid and have friends, neighbors, etc. nearby.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "boonies" are the first place the mob heads for. I and 2 associates could shoot anyone out of any rural location in far less than a day.

Preparations for TSHTF scenario should be more toward how BRUTAL you will be willing to be.

Cuz that's what would happen.

The old myth of the rural location with chickens and a stash of ammo is just that.

I could manage far better in a brutal METRO location where I could out-loot the unorganized and burn the walls for heat before moving on.

Look to history. Success in REALLY bad times is dependent on what you are prepared to DO rather than where you are.

Sad but true.

and/or, buying your way to somewhere "nicer"

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being off the grid has it's advantages (less utility bills for one).

I am off the grid right now and am having internet connection problems so will discuss this issue when I r
    return to town tomorrow or Tuesday.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    Belize

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

As noted above, your brutality quotient will have MUCH more
    influence on your ability to survive than will your location.

Military service/training is a large plus. Some militia training is a
    plus, but much of it is academic until you try to actually employ it.

Single folks can do well in the cities; folks with kids can likely do
    better in distant rural areas.

Lots of good/decent folks think in terms of "protecting what they
    have." In any disaster, "taking what you need" will, at some point,
    likely dictate how well you fare.

The notion that guns and knives will get you thru times of no food
    and gold better than food and gold will get you thru times of no
    guns and knives is certainly true. But, if your brutality quotient is
    stuck on "civilized," neither set of commodities is likely to save you.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I've been to all 50 states and 47 different countries including all the Central American countries. I chose Costa Rica because of several reasons......few cops, high on the happiness planet index, no income tax, warm weather year round and an educated population. It's also in the middle of Asia, Europe, North and South America making property there high demand for second homes and resale.

I do think that we, as in all humans on the planet, especially Americans, are headed for some really rough waters, and it is a really good idea to prepare for the worst to protect your family.

I see TS hitting the fan in late 2012 with really dark days peaking in 2014 with relief coming slowly after that. Maybe some of you remember my comments about "Anaconda's Lair". Boy did I get called nutso for that, but like many things, it just takes time to really show whether or not I am nuts.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pic to start you out:

Okay, here's the deal. 50 miles north of Las Vegas in the Charleston Mountains. In a subdivision
    of about 200 homes. No power and no phone for 13 miles. Totally off grid. This is my son and
    his wife's home. Two grandboys and a dog, two cats, chickens and a great lifestyle. The home
    as you can see, was an A frame that was added on to. It's now about 3,500 sq ft of living space.
    Two solar arrays, had a wind generator that blew away in a 100+ mph wind!. Propane for cooking
    and hot water heating and generator. Wood stove for space heating.
    Propane cost is about $800 per year. Wood is about 6 cords a year (so far free from the BLM when
    they thin the forests but that ended this winter as the thinning is done.) So, figure $200 per cord
    delivered.
    The subdivision has a well and that is pumped to homes via gravity. Well house and well pump run
    on diesel. Cost is $30 per month per lot. Road maintenance and fire protection cost an additional
    $40 per month per lot. Monthly is $70.
    Even though the water for drinking and bathing is from two wells there also is a free flowing artesian
    spring that flows year around. It is pure and recently the Feds tested and said that there is no water
    as pure anywhere in the state as this artesian spring. When the spring comes up out of the ground
    there is enough water to start a trout stream! Flows through the subdivision into three lakes and
    then out into the desert where it disappears.
    Wildlife in the subdivision consists of deer, elk, mustangs, coyotes and bob cats. Elevation is 6,000'
    to 6,800'. Lots of snow in the winter (feet deep at times) and nice and cool nights in the summer.
    Quite a difference compared to us here in Las Vegas.
    They love living this lifestyle and generally love the neighborhood. Very small and tight knit with lots
    of get togethers and Easter egg hunts, Christmas sleigh rides and Halloween wagon rides for the kids
    to go from house to house.
    Negatives for me:
    No school bus, get the kids to school yourself (18 miles one way).
    No internet as you know it. Slow via satellite and no sniping possible! Internet comes and goes with
    weather, usage and just anything else that can screw it up will!
    Tending a wood stove all day and once a night. (actually don't mind the night one as I get up at least
    once a night anyway!)
    No garden as season is very restricted and short.
    Go to bed when it gets dark and up at dawn. Up at dawn to get the fire re-stoked for the kids and US too!
    Everything has to be watched that uses power. Refrigerator on a timer so that it goes OFF at 8pm and not
    back on until 7am. No freezer for food storage as of yet. All appliances are on power strips so that they
    can actually be turned off. Limited use of a microwave. No toaster (use the oven broiler). No electric
    coffee pot (percolator over an oven burner).
    Hospital or medical care is 50 miles away. Flight for life is available (we hear). Doctors and shopping is
    also 50 miles away as is everything you ever want to do! There is NO commercial activity anywhere near
    the area. Have to go to Las Vegas.
    All lighting is compact florescent and 40watt or less.
    Battery bank will run the necessaries for 3 full days of no sun. Any more and the automatic propane gen-
    erator kicks in. Too much TV watching drops the reserves quickly.
    Plusses: quiet. Hear the coyotes howl. Have seen two male bob cats go at it over a female. Herds of elk
    in the yard. Mustangs mow the grass. Relaxed feeling but always something to do, just as there is in any
    large home.
    In summary, it's different. Great place for the Mrs and me to escape to for a day or two. Occasionally watch
    the home-front for the kids when they go on vacation or travel. Better for the younger folks. Bucking a saw
    and cutting wood and hauling it into the house everyday is the pits. I would not do it at my age of 65. We
    like the convenience of the city but do like to have a place to go if and when the SHTF.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    It would be great to have a little place somewhere nice

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    This will be cool to have...

Text
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used pms as an excuse to get away from the clutches of a pre-nup. Beats having to get a new kitchen.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    the is why the Kitty lives in Hepcat City..... really off this so-called grid.....

everywhere else is SQUARESVILLE....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ecocapsule

image >>

These really look cool. Now if they can make them affordable???
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ecocapsule

image >>

I hope they float. LOL

So one needs a truck and a trailer also?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Yeah, looks like the tide is coming in..

86 whole square feet of living space for only two adults?

and these are our two biggest critics of negativity. image

Oh, you want the "bright side"?

As a career research scientist who has spent considerable time "in the field", this pod would be a boon if airlifted to remote locations. It or a derivative will ultimately be "a thing" and maybe someday, I will even use one.

For "everyman", not so much. There's a show on expanded cable called "tiny homes" or some such... and that's what they are.. tiny. Where ya gonna store all your ASE's?

A cemetery plot is off the grid. About 4 ounces of gold will do it, when it's time to go.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and these are our two biggest critics of negativity. image >>

Why not just get a little camper van. You can always add little wind and sun thingies . And it has wheels already so no need to be "stuck" off the grid when "they" come looking for you.

Unless of course you want to live on the top of a mountain or on some deserted island without knowing what is really going on across the country. Oh wait a minute, some on here already live like that. HAHAHA

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went and saw the movie San Andreas. I give it a 2 star.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and these are our two biggest critics of negativity. image >>

Why not just get a little camper van. You can always add little wind and sun thingies . And it has wheels already so no need to be "stuck" off the grid when "they" come looking for you.

Unless of course you want to live on the top of a mountain or on some deserted island without knowing what is really going on across the country. Oh wait a minute, some on here already live like that. HAHAHA >>

It's melting for a lot less now… Just saying.

there is a lesson here somewhere
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I live fulltime in an 8x35' fifth wheel with a living room slide out. Rv is paid for. Lot rent in my old fogie park is $260 a month plus metered electric. Work full time as a journeyman machinist. Wouldn't change it for the world. When I go camping I bring along the comforts of home image
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08