Home Precious Metals

The Death Of Cash?

The Death Of Cash? All Over The World Governments Are Banning Large Cash Transactions Are we witnessing the slow but certain death of cash in this generation? Is a truly cashless society on the horizon? Legislation currently pending in the Mexican legislature would ban a vast array of large cash transactions, but the truth is that Mexico is far from alone in trying to restrict cash. All over the world, governments are either placing stringent reporting requirements on large cash transactions or they are banning them altogether. We are being told that such measures are needed to battle illegal drug traffic, to catch tax evaders and to fight the war on terror. But are we rapidly getting to the point where we will have no financial privacy left whatsoever? Should we just accept that we have entered a time when the government will watch, track and trace all financial transactions? Is it inevitable that at some point in the near future ALL transactions will go through the banking system in one form or another (check, credit card, debit card, etc.)?

The truth is that we now live at a time when people who use large amounts of cash are looked upon with suspicion. In fact, authorities in many countries are taught that anyone involved in a large expenditure of cash is trying to hide something and is probably a criminal.

And yes, a lot of criminals do use cash, but millions upon millions of normal, law-abiding citizens simply prefer to use cash as well. Should we take the freedom to use cash away from the rest of us just because a small minority abuses it?

Unfortunately, the freedom to use cash is being slowly stripped away from us in an increasingly large number of countries.

In fact, as countries like Mexico "tighten the noose" around big-ticket cash purchases, our freedom to use cash is going to erode rather rapidly.

The following is a summary of some of the very tight restrictions being placed on large cash transactions around the globe right now....

Mexico

In Mexico, a bill before the legislature would completely ban the purchase of real estate in cash. In addition, the new law would ban anyone from spending more than MXN 100,000 (about $7,700) in cash on vehicles, boats, airplanes and luxury goods.

$7,700 is not a very high limit, and this legislation has some real teeth to it. Anyone violating this law would face up to 15 years in prison.

Greece

In Europe, some of the "austerity packages" being introduced in various European nations include very severe restrictions on the use of cash.

In Greece, all cash transactions above 1,500 euros are being banned starting next year. The following is a comment by Greek Finance Minister George Papaconstantinou at a press conference discussing the new austerity measures as reported by Reuters....

"From 1. Jan. 2011, every transaction above 1,500 euros between natural persons and businesses, or between businesses, will not be considered legal if it is done in cash. Transactions will have to be done through debit or credit cards"

Italy

Even Italy has gotten into the act. As part of Italy's new "austerity measures", all cash transactions over 5,000 euros will be banned. It is said this is being done to crack down on tax evasion, but even if this is being done to take down the mafia this is still quite severe.

The United States

The U.S. government has not banned any large cash transactions, and hopefully it will not do so any time soon, but it sure has burdened large cash transactions with some heavy-duty reporting requirements.

For example, your bank is required to file a currency transaction report with the government for every deposit, withdrawal or exchange over $10,000 in cash.

Not only that, but if a bank "knows, suspects, or has reason to suspect" that a transaction involving at least $5,000 is "suspicious", then another report must be filled out. This second type of report is known as a suspicious activity report, and it is also filed with the government.

But the reporting does not stop there. As Jeff Schnepper explained in an article for MSN Money, if you are in business and you receive over $10,000 in cash in a single transaction you must report it to the IRS or you will go to prison.....

If you're in a business and receive more than $10,000 in cash from a single transaction, or from related transactions within a 12-month period, you have to file Form 8300 and report the buyer to the IRS. Don't file, and you go to jail.

The IRS isnt kidding. I had a client who was a dealer in Corvette sports cars. He told me he didnt have time to file the forms. I told him several times to file. He thought he knew better. He went to jail. So did his children who were involved in the business.

This is very, very serious.

Just because someone forgets to file a certain form with the IRS, that person can go do serious jail time?

Yes.

According to Schnepper, quite a few Americans have already received very substantial sentences for this kind of thing....

In fiscal 2004, the Internal Revenue Service initiated 1,789 criminal investigations. There were 1,304 indictments and 687 convictions -- and an 89.1% incarceration rate. The average sentence: 63 months.

In fiscal 2005, the IRS started 4,269 investigations, winning 2,406 indictments and 2,151 convictions and an 83% incarceration rate. Average sentence: 42 months.

The reality is that governments around the world are getting very, very sensitive about large amounts of cash and they are not messing around.

They don't want all of us running around with big piles of cash. They want our money in the banks where they can track it, trace it and keep a close eye on it.

On the one hand, it is a good thing to catch criminals and terrorists, but on the other hand how much privacy and freedom are we willing to lose just so that we can feel a little safer?

And as cash becomes criminalized, are all of us going to be forced into the banking system whether we like it or not? If we cannot pay for things in cash, what other choices are we going to have?

The truth is that the more you think about this issue, the more disturbing it becomes.
No more cash!
Many successful BST transactions ajia
(x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
mariner67, and Mikes coins

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to understand a scenario when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction? (north of the limits discussed)??

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to understand a scenario when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction? (north of the limits discussed)?? >>

Who would carry such a large sum? I suppose only individuals who do not have a checking account? And why would they not have a checking account? The answer is: a)Money Laundering, b) do not know how to write ... c) All of their assets tied up in PM's? I'll go for door # a
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>I'm trying to understand a scenario when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction? (north of the limits discussed)?? >>

I play poker professionally. There's plenty of times I've had to take out 10k to enter a tournament, or play in some games.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction?

Foundation for house-$20K less maybe 5% for cash.
    Cash settlement of estate or sale of house.
    Payment of a hospital bill settlement discounted for cash.
    Payment of legal fees settled for cash.
    Payment of federal, state, or local fines, taxes, penalties settled at a discount for cash.
    Purchase of a car negotiated down for cash.
    Cash from an escrow account.
    Cash from coin/PM sales...cash in cash out. These already have to be reported if they are big enough. Soon it will be much worse for the PM guys/gals.

Cash means discount in many cases. Perfect example is work from contractors where a cash payment will often result in at least a 5% discount on the price. Attorneys, car salesmen, almost any large payment can be discounted for cash. Taxes are easily settled for less when cash is present.

There is no reason to force people into FRN's and come up with some BS to track them for using the paper. All it does is keep the banks in the mix because cash transactions often bypass banks and banks like to rake a little off of every movement of cash, it's how they make a living now days. It would seem that someone that is laundering large numbers or running drugs or gambling for cash can certainly come up with a better way to move it around than putting it in the banks or getting some kind of form filled out on them. It's kind of like that quip..."When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." so when large cash transactions are outlawed, only outlaws will have them.

The dissenting opinion could be that there is no reason to hide cash transactions if you're honest. Hey, if you are honest and making a large cash transaction, why would you need to put a track on them? Are you presumed to be dishonest until cleared...? You would think that with all the observation we have to submit to now that they would have a pretty good idea who the evildoers are.

JMHO

Got Cash?

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    You are much less likely to get picked-up by Patriot Act, etc., radar if you pay by check or credit card. The insidious manner that the revenuers use to track cash transactions would surprise even the most die hard conspiracy theorists.
  • LOL wake up guys...Its all about wringing every possible tax dollar from the "consumer" & increasing corp/bank revenue.

You want to catch evil drug dealers...investigate the banks

http://www.economicpopulist.org/content/banksters-laundered-mexican-cartel-drug-money

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer

<< <i>when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction?

Payment of federal, state, or local fines, taxes, penalties settled at a discount for cash.
    Cash from coin/PM sales...cash in cash out. These already have to be reported if they are big enough. Soon it will be much worse for the PM guys/gals.

Cash means discount in many cases. Perfect example is work from contractors where a cash payment will often result in at least a 5% discount on the price. Attorneys, car salesmen, almost any large payment can be discounted for cash. Taxes are easily settled for less when cash is present.

There is no reason to force people into FRN's and come up with some BS to track them for using the paper. All it does is keep the banks in the mix because cash transactions often bypass banks and banks like to rake a little off of every movement of cash, it's how they make a living now days. It would seem that someone that is laundering large numbers or running drugs or gambling for cash can certainly come up with a better way to move it around than putting it in the banks or getting some kind of form filled out on them. It's kind of like that quip..."When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." so when large cash transactions are outlawed, only outlaws will have them.

The dissenting opinion could be that there is no reason to hide cash transactions if you're honest. Hey, if you are honest and making a large cash transaction, why would you need to put a track on them? Are you presumed to be dishonest until cleared...? You would think that with all the observation we have to submit to now that they would have a pretty good idea who the evildoers are.

JMHO

Got Cash? >>

I've utilized just about every scenario described above and have always paid by check, to become eligible for your "cash" discount. Most Federal and State jurisdictions will not even accept cash, and most real estate transactions involving so called "cash" are handled by certified check. As a rule, as described in most of the above transactions, "cash" is referred to as a non credit transaction.
    "As a rule, as described in most of the above transactions, "cash" is referred to as a non credit transaction."

Contractors, coin dealers, lawyers, readily accept FRN's, Ben's, American money...been there, done that.
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    FYI~ OPA, printed CLEARLY on any & ALL FRN's.

Quote,"This note is legal tender for all debt's public and private"

So if the don't accept cash I recon you get it free!imageimageimage

Sorry could not resist!image

JK -Not reallyimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Death of cash= bankster wildest dreams come true. They'll cannibalize themselves in the process. Won't leave any meat on the bones either.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

<< <i>FYI~ OPA, printed CLEARLY on any & ALL FRN's.

Quote,"This note is legal tender for all debt's public and private"

So if the don't accept cash I recon you get it free!imageimageimage

Sorry could not resist!image

JK -Not reallyimage >>

More likely they don't trust their employees to "mishandle" it.image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When the cash transactions are squeezed tightly, that's when the shtf scenario arrives where everyone will need cash for day to day expenses until things get back to normal. Sounds like a Catch 22 to me. And if you don't have $5K to $10K or more tucked away to help you survive for a few months, don't expect to get too many services provided unless you have an alternative such as PM's.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction?

JMHO

Got Cash? >>

I've utilized just about every scenario described above and have always paid by check, to become eligible for your "cash" discount. Most Federal and State jurisdictions will not even accept cash, and most real estate transactions involving so called "cash" are handled by certified check. As a rule, as described in most of the above transactions, "cash" is referred to as a non credit transaction. >>

I've utilized just about every scenario described above and have always paid by cash (fiat paper). This war on cash is unequivocally un-American and a flagrant violation of our constitutional rights (to privacy, among others). I'm surprised how many Americans are willing to simply give these up (our rights) without a fight. I guess we don't have presidents like Jackson anymore because so few of us care enough to defend our inalienable rights. To me, it's a sickeningly and shockingly disheartening development.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    well, all you high rollers with your bundles of hundreds are certainly out of my league. If I had the fortunate occasion to have five figures in cash involved in a transaction, I wouldn't mind filling out the form. After all, I have nothing to hide in my affairs

now, these people referenced as being punished by fines or jail time for handling cash, was the crime that they didn't fill out a form??

OR was there some other dishonesty involved, such as tax evasion, money laundering, bribery, drug dealing, theft, or other felonious behavior?

"I'm surprised how many Americans are willing to simply give these up (our rights) without a fight."

Yes, it is certainly suprising that citizens think this is acceptable and there seems to be no fight in them at all other than a little grousing if even that. Interesting that folks think that handling cash is somehow criminal. All debts, public and private...as long as its not too much cash.

This weekend we will have Survey #3 in the cash study. One was how much cash PM nerds have on them, two was what is $1000 (and I didn't even have a form), Survey #3 will be a suprise so stay tuned for Saturday. Previous surveys

Got Cash?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to understand a scenario when a law-abiding citizen has a reason to make a large CASH transaction? (north of the limits discussed)?? >>

A law abiding citizen doesn't know what his needs will be
    next week or next year and shouldn't have his hands tied
    behind his back in advance.

Banks have many times proven their inabilty to handle and
    to fairly handle people's money. On a whim and because
    they can they implement fees and fines for everything from
    kiting checks to having the audacity to drive to Canada. Most
    of them now charge a large fee to convert currency for in-
    stance. Then there's the little matter where they pay you
    1% on your money and pay almost all the interest to their
    CEO instead of your account.

I have a hunch that the lucky people are the ones whose bank
    collapses first in this mess. They won't have to wait as long
    to get it from the FDIC. By the time the last ones get their
    checvk the money might be worthless.
    Tempus fugit.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And eBay (and PayPal) will ulitimately rule the world.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>And eBay (and PayPal) will ulitimately rule the world. >>

Sell a bunch of penny's on eBay, do you?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    how much "cash" do we really use today?
    i've done the cash discount thing when needed

for me it's < 1%

the biggest fear for the banking system is if/when we want to go back to the bank and CASH our checks, ...payroll, commision, services, government assitance (may those will be deposit only?) etc

there is not enough true paper in the system, it's all on silicon wafers and magnetic tape.
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I'm just trying to figure out how strippers are going to deal with this.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just trying to figure out how strippers are going to deal with this.

image >>

they will take 90% silver coins, (but i won't say where to put them)
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A law abiding citizen doesn't know what his needs will be next week or next year and shouldn't have his hands tied behind his back in advance.

Banks have many times proven their inabilty to handle and to fairly handle people's money. On a whim and because they can they implement fees and fines for everything from kiting checks to having the audacity to drive to Canada. Most of them now charge a large fee to convert currency for instance. >>

The 2 bank accounts I have opened in the last couple years both have a clause in the terms and conditions that says they have the right to require 7 days notice for any withdrawals. And that's just the kind of rule that they would start to enforce at the worst possible time for the depositor.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• 500Bay500Bay Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cash means discount in many cases >>

Cash means discount usually because there will be an avoidance of taxes. With some purchases, it is also to avoid credit card surcharges, but a check is just as 'free' of those surcharges as greenbacks.
    Finem Respice
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, all you high rollers with your bundles of hundreds are certainly out of my league. If I had the fortunate occasion to have five figures in cash involved in a transaction, I wouldn't mind filling out the form. After all, I have nothing to hide in my affairs

now, these people referenced as being punished by fines or jail time for handling cash, was the crime that they didn't fill out a form??

OR was there some other dishonesty involved, such as tax evasion, money laundering, bribery, drug dealing, theft, or other felonious behavior?

There's not much difference between being forced to use the banks (and paying their fees) and being forced to buy health insurance.

There's no reason I should be forced to do either one.

It's about keeping the banks, insurance companies and government in business. Individuals can go suck an egg, as far as these money-grubbing non-productive leeches are concerned.

This is the implementation of "guilty until proven innocent". And after all, I have nothing to hide in my affairs either, but this is not the template of a "free society" or a "free nation".

This is simply, tyranny by those in power over those who are not.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just trying to figure out how strippers are going to deal with this.

image >>

Cedit cards!!!---not sure how they would swipe them though.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cash means discount in many cases >>

Cash means discount usually because there will be an avoidance of taxes. With some purchases, it is also to avoid credit card surcharges, but a check is just as 'free' of those surcharges as greenbacks. >>

Not quite true. With a check, you don't really know if it's good till it clears the bank. And that means time. Time is way more valuable than money. Plus, privacy is still valued by certain members of society, and neither checks nor cards afford that. It's not about "avoidance of taxes".

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    What about at a coin show when a buyer doesn't have enough cash, and it's someone you don't know, how much of an amount will you take their personal check for, and let them walk away with your precious metals?
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard......back when the 'PATRIOT ACT' was inacted..............

that if you axed a bank employee........" what type of 'suspicious' activity was considered 'suspicious' "---that inquiry alone was enough to report you to the feds.

insidious.
    Have a nice day
    small, everyday transactions will still be conducted in cash NO MATTER WHAT, so coffee vendors, bars, strippers need never worry.

those conducting automobile, real estate, boat, and other large purchases of WHATEVER with cash better be prepared to answer some questions about it if asked.

how can those who oppose reporting requirements above 4 figures not be having something to hide?

how can those who oppose reporting requirements above 4 figures not be having something to hide?

I don't keep large bank balances, but I do keep a supply of cash for all types of purchases. I simply don't like doing business with banks unless I need to. I don't like their fee structures and I don't need a nanny (or a snitch) looking over my shoulder. When I have a positive cash flow, I save cash and when I need to spend it, I spend it. Most of the time, I can access over 4 figures without accessing a bank account - and that's the way I like it.

I try very hard to always to do the right thing and play by the rules, so why am I suspect if I don't want the government (or anyone else) to know how much I have in savings or what I intend to do with the money?

Is there a presumption of innocence or of guilt in these banking regulations? And which of these presumptions was to be protected in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights? It seems to me that the criminals are seldom inconvenienced, and the honest folks keep getting herded into some kind of pen. Why?

I knew it would happen.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

True and honest answer:

Because I live in a free Country (or used to) and can do so if I please.
  • The economy has remained in a recession since oil prices went off the roof and sank it in mid 2008.
    A $1.5 trillion federal deficit per year, 10% unemployment, and our horrible trade imbalances are a terrible cost to pay for substandard economic growth, huge corporate earnings, and a stock market bubble. All that money is coming from our pockets. This is the socializing of corporate debt and privatizing of all profit. The people are paying for those corporation’s profits with their jobs, health, and lives.
    We will slide right back and fall into a huge depression one way or another, and it is our fault. We have been living beyond our means, as individuals and as a nation, for more than forty years. It will take the rest of our lives and everything we got to dig us out of this hole.
    I have been telling everyone I know to prepare because things will get much worse before they get any better. Peak Oil will give us another blow in a few years.
    There will be no recovery.
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
  • We're antique dealers and have been doing shows the last week and a half, I'm on my way to the bank now and our cash deposit figure is over the "threshold." I'll break it into a few deposits because I don't need any aggravation.
    Although I know many of the people I deal with, I often get buyers that are strangers from another section of the country, sometimes from abroad. If we don't have some mutual acquaintences I will usually demnad cash.
    I don't do anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of everything I spend being recorded somewhere.
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

What is the phone number for the purchase approval police? I'd hate to spend more cash than someone else declares that I should.

• << <i>We're antique dealers and have been doing shows the last week and a half, I'm on my way to the bank now and our cash deposit figure is over the "threshold." I'll break it into a few deposits because I don't need any aggravation.
    Although I know many of the people I deal with, I often get buyers that are strangers from another section of the country, sometimes from abroad. If we don't have some mutual acquaintences I will usually demand cash.
    I don't do anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of everything I spend being recorded somewhere. >>

Why even bother putting it in the bank? They don't pay you much interest and give you a hassle when you put it in or take it out. Everywhere you go now if you use a credit card, debit card or check, they track everything you buy and build a file on you. Only cash still allows you some privacy when you buy something.
    “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” Thomas Jefferson
    I went to my local Wednesday flea market. There were many new folks set up selling. I noticed many nice deer rifles.

In my part of the country a man had rather sell about anything than his gun. Especially 2 months before Deer season!

Any way I priced 3 rifles $300 to $400 each. All had high power scopes. One man had a Weatherby 270 with 3x9 scope, & 80 rounds ammo his price $400image

The weirdest part about this observance is NO rifles were selling??? One seller had a 308 semi auto. with scope $300.

I was walking off he ask's,"got any gold for sale"! This threw me off at first but then I seen his scale and a pile of rings etc.

There was also many nice tools for sale cheap!

My take on the whole seen. When items like these do not sell around here for cheap prices = Times are tuff $$ tight!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.

• << <i>

<< <i>We're antique dealers and have been doing shows the last week and a half, I'm on my way to the bank now and our cash deposit figure is over the "threshold." I'll break it into a few deposits because I don't need any aggravation.
    Although I know many of the people I deal with, I often get buyers that are strangers from another section of the country, sometimes from abroad. If we don't have some mutual acquaintences I will usually demand cash.
    I don't do anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of everything I spend being recorded somewhere. >>

Why even bother putting it in the bank? They don't pay you much interest and give you a hassle when you put it in or take it out. Everywhere you go now if you use a credit card, debit card or check, they track everything you buy and build a file on you. Only cash still allows you some privacy when you buy something. >>

You may be on to something...image
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    small, everyday transactions will still be conducted in cash NO MATTER WHAT, so coffee vendors, bars, strippers need never worry.

What about the higher priced DC, Beverly Hills and Manhattan "escort" services (>$600/visit). They'll have to report every transaction in 2011 regardless of payment type. image

And those every day strippers will have to worry too if they transact more than $600 per year with any single customer.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    went to my local Wednesday flea market. There were many new folks set up selling. I noticed many nice deer rifles.

In my part of the country a man had rather sell about anything than his gun. Especially 2 months before Deer season!

Any way I priced 3 rifles $300 to $400 each. All had high power scopes. One man had a Weatherby 270 with 3x9 scope, & 80 rounds ammo his price $400

The weirdest part about this observance is NO rifles were selling??? One seller had a 308 semi auto. with scope $300.

I was walking off he ask's,"got any gold for sale"! This threw me off at first but then I seen his scale and a pile of rings etc.

My take on the whole seen. When items like these do not sell around here for cheap prices = Times are tuff $$ tight!

did YOU buy the rifles or the tools? if not, why not? I suspect you could afford them. maybe... here's an idea...

YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL THE RIFLES AND TOOLS YOU NEED.. maybe everyone else either didn't need one or didn't want one either.

<< <i> went to my local Wednesday flea market. There were many new folks set up selling. I noticed many nice deer rifles.

Any way I priced 3 rifles $300 to $400 each. All had high power scopes. One man had a Weatherby 270 with 3x9 scope, & 80 rounds ammo his price $400

My take on the whole seen. When items like these do not sell around here for cheap prices = Times are tuff $$ tight!

did YOU buy the rifles or the tools? if not, why not? I suspect you could afford them. maybe... here's an idea...

YOU ALREADY HAVE ALL THE RIFLES AND TOOLS YOU NEED.. maybe everyone else either didn't need one or didn't want one either. >>

Maybe you would under stand if there were brand new TV's & cell phones or Mercedes Benz & 30 year old scotch.

For sale at 0.30 on the dollar. No one was buying.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • in 1929, the stock market plunged 13%. Boy, those were the good old days, huh?
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    our cash deposit figure is over the "threshold." I'll break it into a few deposits because I don't need any aggravation.

I don't do anything illegal, but I don't like the idea of everything I spend being recorded somewhere.

Breaking it into a few deposits simply to avoid reporting IS against the law.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Cash - coming to a country near you?

Are we moving, albeit ever so slowly, towards a cashless world.
    I think so, though it's probably not likely to happen in my lifetime, perhaps sometime within the next hundred years.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One man had a Weatherby 270 with 3x9 scope

Made in Germany or Japan?

BTW--I still have cash in my wallet. It aint dead.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

We've been through this debate a hundred times. If they wanted to catch the criminals, they have plenty of tools available to do it without going for the cash.

The only reason they want to eliminate cash is to increase their control over every transaction we ever make.

"They" = banks & government.

I knew it would happen.
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>our cash deposit figure is over the "threshold." I'll break it into a few deposits because I don't need any aggravation.

Breaking it into a few deposits simply to avoid reporting IS against the law. >>

This is correct and was recently discussed on these boards.
    IIRC the crime is called structuring....acting in a manner to avoid reporting thresholds is in itself a crime.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cashless society solves the central banks' biggest fear - a run on the local banks during a crisis to remove cash, a lot of which has been loaned out.

In a cashless society, the use of negative and positive savings rates will determine whether people save or spend. It will no longer be a simple matter of just withdrawing your cash so you don't have to pay the bank to hold it. Negative interest rates on money in digital form only leaves you with only one alternative - spend it.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we moving, albeit ever so slowly, towards a cashless world. >>

I think so too, many people have no money...

Good for you.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actual US currency (cash) is just a little over $1.36 trillion. Bank accounts are $10 trillion.

The math dictates that cash must be eliminated in order to save the banks. No one ever shows up to withdraw their digital money; their only option is to spend it, electronically.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Martin Armstrong has discussed this move to "transactional banking". If they eliminate cash and force interest rates to go negative, they hope to bump money velocity to the point that banks can all skim more and more money from the herd. This goes hand-in-hand with the politicians also being able to tax more and more money from the herd. The herd keeps shrinking as a result. How can this be constructive for anyone, including the banks and/or the government? It can't.

I knew it would happen.