Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Music Cards

I was curious to see if anybody else collected music (e.g., Rock & Roll, Jazz, Country, Pop) cards. I collect everything from the 1950s to today. If you collect Beatles, Dylan, Hendrix, sets, share them. I know there are some Beatles collectors.

Comments

• PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Here's one from the Mister Softee Ltd set:

• Thank you for sharing. Do you have any of the other Mister Softee or Lord Neilson sets?
    Yes, I just submitted complete sets from 1964, 1965, 1967 and 1968. I'm going to request that they be added to the registry. The sets are really beautiful and the best music sets from the 1960's imho.
  • Thank you for sharing. I always liked the Who card from the 1966 set and the Hendrix from the 1968 and 1969 sets. The Mister Softee and Lord Neilson sets have a nice collection of pop and R&R stars from the 1960s. I have been collecting music cards for around the past 8 years. When I started, I knew about the approximately 10 US mainstream sets. However, as I got into it, my collection has grown to around 200 different sets that focus on R&R, pop and country music from the 1950s to today. The 1960s alone has around 70 sets. The Mister Softee and Lord Neilson sets were my introduction to the UK sets. Some of my favorites from the 1960s are the 1963/64 Valex postcard set, 1965/1966 Monty Gum Beat Groups, 1968 Samo Chips, 1968 Panini Cantanti, 1969 Bergmann Top Stars and 1969 Edis Cantanti. The Cantanti sets are over 300 cards each and have a great representation of the Motown and Woodstock era groups. The Beat Group set is very rare and features the first cards of Dylan, Yardbirds, Who, Kinks, Byrds, etc. The Valex set features the first publicly sold images of the Beatles, Stones, Hollies, Animals, etc.

Beat Groups examples:

imageimage

Samo example:

1968 Panini examples:

imageimage

imageimage

1969 Bergmann Top Stars examples:

imageimage

Those cards are cool! Do you know if the 1968 Mister Softee card of Hendrix is his first card?
  • The Lord Neilson is one of four sets that issued cards of Jimi in 1968. Here are the various 1968 cards:

1968 Sweden Filmstar Beatles Puzzle Back Set (Jimi has two cards with the same image: #27 and 66)

1968 Panini Cantanti (three different back variations)

1968 Lord Neilson

1965-1968 Dutch Gum "Stora Popbildser" (This set was issued in multiple series covering several years beginning in 1965. The Jimi card is in the last series issued in 1968.)

Those cards are nice! Are you going to have them graded eventually?
  • There are a lot of great sets from the 50s to day that largely go unnoticed. I think part of the problem is that there is no guide out there for the various sets. In addition, there is a lot of misinformation about sets that has resulted in the wrong years being associated with some of the sets.

Those Hendrix cards will not be graded. The only set that I have that is graded is a Beatles set and some 1950s US cards (Elvis, Hit Stars and Nu Rock). Other than those sets, all of my music cards are raw.
  • We posted at the same time.

I love that Beatles card. I wonder what somebody said off camera that got John and Ringo laughing. What is your favorite Mister Softee/Lord Neilson card?
    My favorite card is the 1968 Beatles card. They're holding a copy of Sgt. Pepper with the gatefold open. At the time, it was the album that everyone listened to, and it revolutionized the way albums were produced. They must have been extremely proud of it, and that's why it's such a cool photo.
  • That is a great Beatles card too. It is nice to see the iconic group with their iconic album. I just realized when I went back to look at the card that the 1968 Panini Cantanti card shows the Beatles in the same clothes that they wore in the Lord Neilson card. The images must have been shot the same day. My favorite card is also from the 1968 set. It is the Procol Harum card. I love the clothes hanger on the window and the rough looking apartment. Their clothes is also great. It is a nice image of a group taken right when they became famous but before they had any money to their name.
    Do you collect albums and picture sleeves also?
  • Thank you for sharing those great cards.

I collect records for listening. I also collect R&R concert posters and handbills with a focus on Hendrix, Joplin and Zeppelin. Regarding the Beatles, I also collect items from the pre-1962 years (before they made it big).

Do you collect records and sleeves? I love the artwork and liner notes on some of them.

Very nice. i would think the Stones sleeve would be hard to find.
    The Stones sleeve is extremely hard to find in near mint or better condition because black or dark colored sleeves show all the wear. It's about the fifth toughest sleeve to find, behind Street Fighting Man, Beast of Burden, Heart of Stone and Dandelion.
  • Those are great. Thank you for the information. I recognized the image in the Heart of Stone sleeve. Panini used it with a tilt and some funky hair coloration in their 1969 card:

Here is a handbill from their 1966 concert.

• Nice. I cannot ever get enough of the old handbills. They are a great collector item.

Here is one from Jimi Hendrix's first tour in 1967. He was not famous enough to garner top billing. The Jimi Hendrix Experience was just formed.

That's a great handbill. I saw Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam) last December in San Francisco. He put on a great show!
  • Great card of Buddy. He is one of my favorites. The Kane Disc Stars set is tough to get nm and higher grades on because the backs are often smudged from the ink. The fronts look great but the backs prevent high grades. Your card is very nice. Please keep sharing.

Here are two of my favorite Buddy items. The first is from his concert in 1958. He had to be billed under both his name and the Cricketts because they had separate recording contracts for some of the songs. The other item is a business card that he used around 1955 before he changed his name and formed the Cricketts. His group Buddy and Bob opened for Elvis Pressley in 1955. I bought the business card from Buddy's brother.

Buddy Holly Fan Club Membership Card:

Back of the card:

• Nice fan club card. They are a great collecting niche that covers a lot of the 50s and 60s musicians.
    I love the poster you have. They don't come up for sale very often, and when they do, they're pretty pricey.
  • Nice Zeppelin ticket. One of my regrets is passing on seeing Zeppelin in concert. I cannot imagine the energy during their 1969 concert. Do you have any of their cards?

Here are two 1969 Zeppelin items. The first is a press photo from their 1st album. The second is a photo premium from the Atlantic Appreciation Society.

Here are the two graded Zeppelin cards I have. Notice that PSA has a new circular insert for their disc cards.

• Really diggin' all the Hendrix and Zeppelin stuff, but I thought this thread could use a little jazzing up! image

• PSAAP: Nice Zeppelins. I am happy that PSA went with a round holder for the discs. Those plastic bags were difficult to look at for me.

elronmckenzie: Jazz is under appreciated in the card market. I really like the Duke cards and auto. He had a very artistic signature.

There is a nice Swedish Jazz set issued in 1958. Here are some examples from the set:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• I'll have to scan my other jazz cards/autos and post them later this afternoon. That Roy Eldridge is nice. I have his auto on the way to PSA for authentication as we speak. I've been trying to track down a Dizzy Gillespie from the Dutch "H" set for quite some time. It's at the top of my music want list.
  • I would love to see them. I may have an extra Serie H Dizzy card. I will tak a look and let you know tomorrow.
  • Oh man that'd be awesome! I collect cards of those who I have autographs of. Sadly Dizzy is one of my favorites, but I don't have a single card. If you had an extra one available for trade/sale that'd make my day!
  • Autographs first since they're my favorite.

Dizzy Gillespie - "To Jason" <----that's me! Or at least I share the name of whoever this was orignally intended for. Couldn't believe my eyes when I found it. Bought it on the spot. Win!

Dave Brubeck

Duke Ellington

Gerry Mulligan

Wynton Marsalis

Cab Calloway

Benny Goodman

Sonny Rollins

Count Basie

Oscar Peterson - Currently on it's way to PSA/DNA

Roy Eldridge - Currently on it's way to PSA/DNA

I also sent in a Stan Getz signed receipt with the Peterson & Eldridge, but apparently I didn't scan it before sending it off.

Cards coming up shortly...
  • The cards

Duke Ellington 1935 Mitchell & Son PSA 8 - 1936 Lambert & Butler PSA 7

Extra copies

Duke Ellington 1959 Maple Leaf Music - Swedish/Dutch? TV Series - Hellas Serie A

Cab Calloway 1936 Lambert & Butler

Cab Calloway 1935 Diamond Matchbook Covers

Gerry Mulligan 1959 Maple Leaf Music

Count Basie 1961 Dutch H - 1958 Madison Confectionery Disc Jockey Series 1

Dave Brubeck 1991 Starline Hollywood Walk Of Fame
  • Great autos and cards. I really like the Duke and Wynton autos.

I am looking for an extra 1961 Serie H Dizzy. I did not know if you knew about his 1958 Series PA card issued in Sweden. Here it is:

Here is a 1959 Serie U Benny Goodman:

• I did not know about it. I'd love to get my hands on any 1940's to 1960's era cards of Dizzy! Great Benny too!
  • Finally found one! Woohoo!

• Congrats on finding the Dizzy card. Swedish cards of musicians other than Elvis and Beatles can be tough to find. My favorite Swedish cards have always been the Jazz musicians.
  • Now to find a copy of that '58 PA series.
  • JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

Hey packman,

I just saw this thread today. You guys sure have older music cards then what I collect, but I have a lot of the 1991 Proset Musicards and 1992 and 1993 Country Gold sets and a lot of graded singles of my favorites. I have some of the few PSA graded ones of some of my favorite artists and certainly some of the highest graded partly since there haven't been many submitted! Even though they aren't old or rare by any, any means, some of the cards aren't that easy to get in PSA 10 for example. For example, I think the 1993 Country Gold Tim McGraw would be a real toughie in PSA 10 based on the ones I've seen (I sent in my best one and it got an 8).

I like how some of the biggest stars in music from that era (Sting, Elton John, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, all the heavy metal bands, Alan Jackson, Merle Haggard, etc) can be found for very low cost.

I have a twitter handle now where I just show some of my cards - I really don't sell and only buy the stuff that want to add. It is
    @FavMusCards.

Here is a link if it will work:

FavMusCards on Twitter

Thanks,

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • JJacks:

I had fun looking at your Twitter page. It is always nice to find other people who are passionate about music and cards. The ProSet and various 1990s Country Music sets are a lot of fun to collect. They were well made and offer a great selection of performers. I love all types of music and collect all styles of music cards (Rock, Country, Pop, Rap, Jazz, etc.). Jazz and Country are a challenge because there were very few sets/cards issued. Sweden produced the most Jazz cards. Regarding Country, there are a handful of sets in the 1950s,1960s and 1970s that were either devoted to Country performers are had one or two in the set. The early 1990s sets have some of the nicest looking Country Music cards.

• JJacksJJacks Posts: 759
    packman,

Yeah, I think some of those sets were nicer then people give them credit for. Honestly I think Proset gave up on music cards too soon since obviously their sales mustn't have been as good as they wanted, but they were making so much money elsewhere they could have kept making music card sets and refining them, etc. You never know what star card could have started really getting people interesting in collecting music cards and they could have taken off, but like I said, they gave up too soon.

It just seems that there are cards galore out there in every way shape and form for everyone who's ever made it near or to the pros in sports, but there are very few for the musicians who are in the Rock and Roll HOF or the Country Music HOF or the Grand Ole Opry or have other distinctions. It's really quite amazing to me.

Anyway, I guess I'll just keep showing people what I have and hope that more people get interesting in the area of collecting as time goes by.

Thanks,

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s