Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > NON-SPORTS CARD FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: Official 1978 Donruss KISS Thread (The Hottest Set In The World!)
Created On Friday December 15, 2006 9:33 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]

Mefer
Veteran

Friday December 15, 2006 9:33 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Wow, what a tough set! I finally hit 75% but still have a lot of work and very few cards. When are you guys going to submit some of these? I am begging here!

EDITED NOTE: Since there appears to be some interest on these cards, I will go ahead and make this the "official" thread. I am going to post some scans of some cards from a box break I just did of the first series.

AGAIN, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR 78 DONRUSS KISS CARDS FOR MY SET!!!!

Edited: Saturday December 23, 2006 at 9:33 AM by Mefer

Bottom

ArnyVee
Expert Collector

Friday December 15, 2006 5:58 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Congrats Mefer!

You got any extras? I want to start building this set after getting my Elvis one done. I just picked up 35 PSA 9s for my Elvis through another collector and I can't wait to add them to my set!

-------------------------
* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
* PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Tuesday December 19, 2006 5:00 PM

Arnyvee, I have some extras. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Bottom

ldferg
Master Collector

Tuesday December 19, 2006 6:36 PM

mefer,
have you received your latest wax box yet? curious of the condition it yields?

Thanks,
David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Tuesday December 19, 2006 7:17 PM

David, I have not received it yet. I am crossing my fingers it yields great cards. I am not holding my breath on it but a boy can dream. I have opened boxes that are just pure crap. Many cards from those boxes appear to have been cut from the sheets with a dull butter knife.

In the meantime, I have scanned my favorite card from the set. Mine is only an 8. I would love to hit a 10 on this card more than any other card:

All right you guys, submit those KISS cards now!

Bottom

ArnyVee
Expert Collector

Wednesday December 20, 2006 4:37 AM

One of my faves from the set too Mefer!

That look in Gene's face is classic KISS!

By the way, I sent you a PM Mefer.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Edited: Wednesday December 20, 2006 at 4:37 AM by ArnyVee

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Saturday December 23, 2006 9:48 AM

Last night I busted a box of 78 Donruss first series that I picked up on eBay. For what it is worth, the box yielded three complete set so the collation was good. As far as cards that are worth submitting, the box yielded about 20 that passed my initial inspection. Before I submit, I expect 5 or so will not make the final cut. So basically I paid $180.00 for 15 cards The good thing though about this set is that it always sells well on eBay and is in high demand. I can recoup some of my investment by selling the extra sets. Here are the scans:

All in all, the box yielded the typical amount of rough cuts. Having fuzz on the cards is really the rule rather than the exception and PSA should consider that in grading these cards (like they do with O-Pee-Chee product). Terrible, terrible product control with Donruss back in 78 but I certainly did not care or notice back in 78 when I first bought the cards. I really thought, and actually still think, they are the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! Enjoy!

Bottom

ArnyVee
Expert Collector

Saturday December 23, 2006 11:53 AM

Not too bad Mefer!

With the cards and the sets you can sell, you'll probably recoup the funds. Not sure about my Elvis ones though. But, we're only part of the way started on that rip.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Saturday December 23, 2006 2:29 PM

Keep posting that rip Arny, very entertaining and good luck on that!

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Tuesday January 23, 2007 12:58 PM

Hello anyone out there? I may be just writing this to myself but, I just picked this up:

KISS Series 2 Box

Wish me luck on this one. I am hoping to pull some 10s. I yet have a 10 for my set and I don't think any series 2 cards have yet been graded a 10. Please post the thumb's up sign here to give me luck! I will report the rip when I get and open the box.

Bottom

gregmo32
Collector

Tuesday January 23, 2007 8:09 PM

Out of curiosity, what do PSA 8 9 and 10's sell for on this set? I remember that they were horribly cut and low quality right out of the pack. Are there more people working on this set actively besides the few that have PSA sets?
It seems like one that could really gain in popularity if more cards were graded...

I am currently looking for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan in PSA 1, PSA 2 or PSA 3 condition. Please let me know what you have at [email protected] !

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Wednesday January 24, 2007 8:58 AM

Gregmo--

The 78 Donruss KISS set always seems to sell really well in raw form on eBay. I have bought many raw sets in an effort to upgrade my graded set but have grown tired of doing that since the sellers of this set typically overgrade it. That is really not surprising considering most sellers seem to be those who sell KISS stuff and are not card collectors/dealers.

The graded market for the set does not seem to be in any type of demand which I believe is based upon the fact that almost all people who want this set are KISS fans and not card collectors. The average and typical KISS fan does not see the value of having a card graded. I have put 8s and 9s on eBay and not sold them (I believe I started them around 10 bucks or so). The only 10 I have seen sold on eBay, which I was outbid on, went for around 60 bucks as I recall. Last time I looked, there were only two 10s graded from this set. I have submitted a bunch and have yet to pull a 10.

You are right on the card stock. Terrible cuts and poor paper stock. For some reason, the series 2 cards seem a bit easier to find in better condition than series 1. The card stock seems to be just slightly different and perhaps Donruss by then sharpened their cutting blades!

If you have any raw 78 Donruss cards lying around, please submit them for grading. I would like to finish my set. I have the number one set and am at 75% complete. I would eventually like to have every card graded 9 or higher but that is going to be really tough.

Bottom

ldferg
Master Collector

Thursday January 25, 2007 3:02 PM

mefer,
nice pickup on the series 2....how were the cards?

Thanks,
David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Friday January 26, 2007 11:11 AM

Thanks David. I have not received the box yet. When I do, and do a rip, I will post results here. Thanks for the interest!

Bottom

VinScully

Saturday January 27, 2007 10:07 PM

I'm watching with interest as well, can't wait to see how you do! Always wanted to do the same with M*A*S*H or the Welcome Back Kotter sets, love the non-sports stuff, haw haw!

PS
Shame they didn't make a Grateful Dead set, I'd be all over that quick as could be.

Bottom

ColleSystem
Veteran

Monday January 21, 2008 6:31 PM

bump.

Cool Gene Simmons card.

My sets:
1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"

Bottom

Mindbinge

Monday April 14, 2008 1:10 PM

Hey guys...

Figured I would share my Kiss stash with you...hope you don't mind me bumping an old topic...but I'd love to talk about these cards some more.

Here is my uncut sheet of the Donruss Kiss cards...I don't know of another one that exists...I've been looking for another one for years...as far as I know, it's the only one.

Check it out:

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Monday April 14, 2008 4:30 PM

Wow, I am absolutely DROOLING over that uncut sheet. I have never seen that before. If you ever decide to sell, please let me know.

Looking the sheet over, that is very informative. I have already encountered a number of tough cards in the set. Case in point is card number one picturing Paul Stanley. That card is upper left corner on the sheet, and five rows below that, it appears again on the side. It is a very condition sensitive card and I have yet to find an example that is really eye appealing. I also note that a large number of the cards on the outer boarder are consistently found in "smaller" size right outside of the pack. They were trimmed smaller, it appears, to assure enough of the puzzle piece appeared on the adjoining cards (at least that is my unscientific conclusion). I have had a number of those cards come back to me as "failure to meet minimum size requirement" and in turn, woke up to reviewing those cards more carefully. The smoking Ace guitar card on the right seems to be a consistent candidate for failure to meet minimum size requirement.

Thanks again for sharing. I am truly amazed and blown away by seeing this.

Bottom

Mindbinge

Monday April 14, 2008 4:40 PM

I thought you might like to see it...I've had this thing for years...looked and looked for another one and I can't find one anywhere. I emailed Gene Simmons thru his website years ago and he doesn't even have one, and if you are a Kiss fan you know Gene has everything.

the sheet has 2 complete sets on it...just fyi.

Bottom

Mefer
Veteran

Monday April 14, 2008 4:43 PM

If you have more history on this, I would appreciate hearing about it (i.e., where you got it, etc.). Again, a fantastic piece!

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
FORUMS > NON-SPORTS CARD FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.