Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

The Official 1977 Topps Star Wars PSA thread

With a nod to our sports card brethren, I thought it was time for this.
There are enough of us now for an official Star Wars thread! Join me!
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Out of 22 Series 5 packs that I had opened, only 4 will be submitted....but I have to wait for a nonsports grading special image
  • Options
    ColleSystemColleSystem Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Gregmo:

Great idea about the thread. I am drop kicking all of my sets (with the exception of 1st and 2nd year walter payton cards) to work on this set. This is the most fun I've had collecting cards since the late 80s card shows that I used to go to. I remember seeing boxes right and left of star wars cards gathering dust at those shows.

I sure will enjoy this thread.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options
    Yankeeno7:

Did you pull a Greedo Rookie (#305)?

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Yes, I got a couple of those...one centered pretty decent but not well enough to where I would send it in for submission.
  • Options
    blue227blue227 Posts: 185 ✭✭
    I'm interested in buying a minty Series 2 (red) unopened box if anyone has one available or knows where i can get one. GAI graded would be nice but not necessary.
  • Options
    Scott
    What is it about the #305? Is it just a tough one to get centered or something?

Barry
  • Options
    captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding on starting this thread up!!! I've looked at a few before, but they always faded away. Hope this one lasts longer. I have 5 PSA 8's left on my set that I'm trying to upgrade to at least a nine. They are 23, 30, 123, 244, 299. I have a PSA 10 #228 and several PSA 9's available to trade for these last 5 cards. Thanks much.

Captfisch
  • Options
    Barry:

Greedo is an awesome character and this is the only card that he is shown on. #162 eludes to him, but does not show him.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    captfisch:

I looked through my raw master set, many of which I will be submitting, and I only had 8 material for those cards that you listed. I'll keep my eye out though.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I currently need the following PSA 9's or 10's to upgrade my set, except for the ones noted which I need in as low as PSA 8). If anyone has any to offer please let me know at gregmo32@aol.com !

277 (need an 8 at least)
    308 (need an 8 at least)
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I also need the following stickers in PSA 8,9, or 10. Please email me at gregmo32@aol.com if you have any available.

• Options
    hello... pardon my intrusion.. have a simple question for the star wars fans of the forum...

are these worth a poop?

40478323 1984 STAR WARS 10 PRINCESS LEIA KELLOGGS STICK'R 8
    40478324 1984 STAR WARS 8 DARTH VADER KELLOGGS STICK'R 7
    40478325 1994 TOPPS STAR WARS P6 BOBA FETT GALAXY SERIES 2-PROMO 8

thank you!

• Options
    Greg:

I have a raw #308 that would be a very, very strong 8.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Scott-
    Sounds good on the trade for another PSA 8 caliber card. Let me dig and find one that meets your expectations. I also noticed that you had a PSA 10 #7 Darth Vader - great card! Where did you come up with that one? I still am stuck on PSA 8 on that particular card for some reason...
  • Options
    Greg:

Here is a scan of the card. It looks like a tad more white in the upper right corner than I originally reported, however, it should still pull an 8. Let me know what you think of it. I will be submitting some cards on the next applicable grading special, so if you are not planning on having any grading submissions, I could just hang on to it until I send in my order.

I got the Vader #7 on ebay about a month or so ago. It was sitting there with a buy it now option, it had been posted earlier that day. It cost me $200. I figured a baseball card of that magnitude would go for several thousand, so I didn't feel too bad about dropping the money for it.

My sets:
  • Options
    Hi! Great thread. I am trying to complete Topps #1-66 in PSA 9+ condition. I currently need #1, 4, 5, 7, 14, 23, 30 and 48. Please drop me a line if you have any of these for sale / trade in PSA 9+. I am also collecting the entire OPC version of the set, and looking for any NM/MINT raw cards that would grade out PSA 8+ from that set.

Paul Holstein
    http://www.transparentrecords.com/starwarscards/Starwars.htm
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Scott,
    Actually the one you show looks just like the one I have in my pile to send in, so I guess I will wait and see what mine gets. Just trying to avoid paying $6 for a PSA 7 if I don't have to. Thanks for the scan though - I do appreciate it.

That is a good way to think about the PSA 10 Vader #7, I hadn't thought about it that way. I have a bunch of PSA 10's in my set and putting in that perspective makes me feel better about their actual "value."

• Options
    Interesting error that I found on card #17. It incorrectly states 3-CPO on the back text. I wonder if this was ever corrected?

My sets:
  • Options
    Tonight on Ebay I have broken down and listed what, in my experience, has been the toughest card in Series One -- #23 See Threepio is Injured PSA 9 . I hate to see it go and I hope it finds a good home!
  • Options
    Can you post a link to the auction?
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Options
    It is embarrassing but true that I don't know how to post a link. The card is up now and you can find it by typing Star Wars PSA .
    Best of luck to all!
  • Options
    Greg:

I am hoping that you are not starting to sell of your collection!

GREG'S AUCTION
    My sets:
  • Options
    Paul:

I recieved the cards safe and sound. Thanks. I needed about 2/3 of them and I was able to upgrade many of the doubles. Right now I am at about 45% complete. Also, I bought a raw series one set on ebay. The seller had some really good pics and I think there might be some 9s in there. I will let you know what they look like. I'd be happy to pass along a good deal to you.

Greg:

I will plan on grading #308 when the next grading special comes around. If it comes back as an 8, it's yours compliments of being a fellow collector in the same trench. if its a 7, no biggie.

regards,
    Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Scott,

I am not selling off my collection. I just happened to have this one lone PSA 9 that I kept because it has always been impossible to find.
    As for the #308, I am preparing a submission as we speak that should have two #308 PSA 8's in it so I should have it covered within a few months.

I guess you are the one that bought the rest of Paul's set - congrats! Can't wait to see where it places you on the Registry. You are making waves in a short time in the hunt!
  • Options
    Scott,

Thanks for the note. I'm glad you liked them. I hand picked those from thousands of pack-fresh cards so they should all be top end 9's. I am not giving up on this set by any means, and I suspect one day that I'll be back at it with a vengeance.... but for now, I wanted to spend my next several thousand $$ in PSA submissions on some other sets like (cross-my-fingers that PSA will grade them) the Japanese ROTJ Myojo Noodles cards, Spanish Yoplait ESB stickers, and several non-U.S. 1960's James Bond sets. It's really neat seeing some of those obscure sets encapsulated for all-time.

I couldn't part with #1-66 though, and I do plan to complete and upgrade that portion of the U.S. set for a while.

Paul H.
    My Worldwide Star Wars Cards Website and PSA Set Links
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Options
    Captfisch:

I am bidding on your PSA 9s. I really hope that I can win Vader #196!
    My sets:
  • Options
    Come one, come all, I also have several PSA 8's available after the auction if you want to try and fill some more holes. I also have all 5 series of Star Wars boxes on eBay right now as well. Since I'm only looking for upgrades, it will be easier (and cheaper I hope) to pick the ones I need off eBay, versus buying boxes and hoping I get good grades back. Good luck to all!!

Captfisch
  • Options
    Here is a trivia question for you. For the sake of some fun, don't cheat and use the Population Report (I have already done that, but I won't be making a "guess").

How many cards in the 330 card set do you think have yet to see a PSA 10 ? I am interested to see what everyone thinks....
  • Options
    Without looking at the report, I will venture a guess of 150
    Barry
  • Options
    My guess would be that 25% still need 10s.

I am blown away by this raw Chewbacca sticker I just recieved in the mail today as a part of a series one raw set from ebay. There are no factory indentations on this one. Could this one get a 9?

My sets:
  • Options
    That Chewie sure look like it could be a 9 ! Those First and Second series stickers are really tough and really sweet when they are mint!
  • Options
    Since my poll question didn't really catch on... I think the total number of cards NOT graded a PSA 10 as of yet is thirty seven .... Kind of surprising to me actually - thought it would be less...
  • Options
    37, interesting. What is their story. Does this set have any Claude Raymonds in it (a little humor for the 71 baseball colectors). What would you guys consider the next "Holy Grail 10". I would say either #8 Tarkin or #254 Vader.
    My sets:
  • Options
    There was a sudden addition of over 100 PSA 10's to the population report and now there are about 34 that haven't been graded at a 10. I believe psastock just got a big shipment in of all those 10's. He's dumping his 9's first on eBay right now, then hopefully those 10's will start getting posted soon after. Good luck to all!

Captfisch
  • Options
    I am trying to decide which of my favorite card to keep in my registry. For grins, guess the grades on them.

imageimage
    My sets:
  • Options
    Both 8's
  • Options
    and the answer is.......
  • Options
    The left one is a 9 and the right one is a 10
    My sets:
  • Options
    Wow! Sweet!
  • Options
    From the scan, I like the 9 !
  • Options
    Here is a question for all of us working on a PSA set. How many of you also are working on a sports card set, and which one do you give priority? I ask because I have a huge collection of PSA sports cards and have found that I would be willing to trade them to improve my Star Wars set. Anyone have any sports card "wants" that would move them to trade their Star Wars?
  • Options
    Captfisch:

Congrats on your series one box auction. That was quite a bidding storm. Gotta love when that happens! I ended winning 11 of your cards. I missed the Vader, but I do have an opened series 3 box on the way, so hopefully there will be a nice one in there for me.

Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    I was happy with that one as well, I was expecting 350-400, but I won't complain. It has been a while since a series one was up on the boards. I sent the invoice plus a couple second chance offers...no extra for the shipping if you take them. Good luck with your box.

Captfisch
  • Options
    The market is really heating up for Star Wars singles, both PSA 9 and PSA 10! What do you think of the recent trend and does it seem like more and more people are jumping on board? That would seem to be good for values. What do you think is the long term prognosis on the set and its value?
  • Options
    If the high graded singles are catching on, maybe a good time to buy and hold for a bit? Some possible profit to come???
  • Options
    Gregmo, if your #23 auction is any indication, there is at least one other that REALLY wants the PSA 9 cards. He paid $90 for one of mine and I just helped you out a bit with this last one to see how bad he really wanted it, (of course I really wanted it too). Good luck on any others out there.

Captfisch
  • Options
    Capt.,

That #23 has been a tough card from Day One. I remember being about six and noticing that it always seemed to be "crooked" as I thought of it then. But the fact that someone is paying that price is a good indication that others are getting serious about the set, especially since there are more PSA 9 and 10's showing up every day. The new demand helps offset that. I have been toying with the idea of opening my last couple boxes of Series One but saw that you sold one for $500 plus and may have changed my mind. It seems that the gum is stuck on the sticker in the ones I have left anyway...
  • Options
    I hadn't realized that card #9 and #233 were the same photo.

-Scott
    My sets:
  • Options
    Looking for 1977 OPC Orange border #141 C3PO raw or graded. Cheaper the better. Know 2 other collectors who need one also.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Not for sale, but this is one from my collection.

www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com