Home Sports Talk

Official Thursday Night Football thread

bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far this year's Thursday night games are exciting. Tonight I thought Denver was doomed Manning was getting a lot of heat and not looking very solid but they made a good adjustment there in the 2nd quarter.

Peyton was making some throws that were scary close to defenders , if I was a Broncos fan I'd probably have an ulcer. image

The Broncos defense scares me even in spite of whatever bad games Manning has I think they can singlehandedly carry the team to a playoff berth. Also as a Pats fan , I miss Talib I wish he was still here image I love the way he makes big plays when you need him to.

What about KC ? what stood out to me was suspect coaching decisions . Why run the ball at the end like that? Was the plan to bust an 80 yard run? Also odd clock management at the end of both halfs .

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I thought of when Denver scored that last TD, was the Miracle at the Meadowlands.

Steve
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Tough loss for Louisville. Clemson survives an upset.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First thing I thought of when Denver scored that last TD, was the Miracle at the Meadowlands.

Steve >>

I was only 10 years old then so my memory is a bit fuzzy but wasn't the play clock shorter back then?
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about KC ? what stood out to me was suspect coaching decisions . Why run the ball at the end like that? Was the plan to bust an 80 yard run? Also odd clock management at the end of both halfs . >>

I've come to the conclusion that I have no clue what anyone is thinking anymore. When I saw the Chiefs hand the ball off with half a minute left in regulation from their own 20, my visceral reaction was, "Why?" Sure enough...

Could Jamaal Charles break one off in that instance? With his legs anything is possible, but isn't the likelihood of him putting one on the deck (as he did earlier) and immediately ending the game just a touch higher?

In a perfect world, Andy Reid would be coaching Eli Manning so we could ratchet this thing up a couple of notches...
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The Broncos defense scares me even in spite of whatever bad games Manning has I think they can singlehandedly carry the team to a playoff berth. Also as a Pats fan , I miss Talib I wish he was still here image I love the way he makes big plays when you need him to. >>

So you're a Pats fan with a board name of 'bronco'? Color me confused.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, although the Broncos are 2-0, if you look hard enough you can see the finish line for Peyton on the horizon. His fastball looks like it has dipped into the mid-80s, and some of those throws last night probably made Charlie Hough rather proud.

<< <i>

<< <i> The Broncos defense scares me even in spite of whatever bad games Manning has I think they can singlehandedly carry the team to a playoff berth. Also as a Pats fan , I miss Talib I wish he was still here image I love the way he makes big plays when you need him to. >>

So you're a Pats fan with a board name of 'bronco'? Color me confused. >>

I collect Ford Broncos , image
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite team pulled a victory from the jaws of defeat last night. I was only able to watch the 4th quarter and understand that the Denver offense was not very good in the first 3 quarters. Father time stands aside for no one and I think that Manning is on the down hill slide to retirement. Hopefully he will have a strong supporting cast this year and Denver can win the AFC West (or get a wild card spot) and make a run in the playoffs.

The Denver defense is apparently a beast this year. That always help.

KC and its fans must feel the way Cleveland did in the 1980's when it could not beat the Broncos and Elway. KC should have won the game last night but its defense let the team down on Denver's last drive that tied the score. Add to that the fumble by Charles and you have a recipe for continued agony for the Chiefs and their fans.

<< <i>My favorite team pulled a victory from the jaws of defeat last night. I was only able to watch the 4th quarter and understand that the Denver offense was not very good in the first 3 quarters. Father time stands aside for no one and I think that Manning is on the down hill slide to retirement. Hopefully he will have a strong supporting cast this year and Denver can win the AFC West (or get a wild card spot) and make a run in the playoffs.

KC and its fans must feel the way Cleveland did in the 1980's when it could not beat the Broncos and Elway. KC should have won the game last night but its defense let the team down on Denver's last drive that tied the score. Add to that the fumble by Charles and you have a recipe for continued agony for the Chiefs and their fans. >>

I don't understand the play calling early on for Denver. Put Manning in the shotgun right from the start and let Peyton be Peyton let him run the offense. His arm might be weak but he knows what to do better than just about anyone.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean the way Cleveland fans felt in the 80's. The Chiefs couldn't beat Elway either.image All I can remember from that time is Elway dropping back to pass, eluding the rush of Derrick Thomas and then either running for 40 yards or throwing for 40 yards. I hated Elway as much as any Cleveland fan ever did.

My only solace is remembering as a young child the glory days of Len Dawson, Otis Taylor, Bobby Bell, Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier and the rest of those great teams.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread idea bronco. Do you really collect Ford Broncos? I think 1968 Bronco II's are too cool.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well so far both Thursday night games have been great!

<< <i>Cool thread idea bronco. Do you really collect Ford Broncos? I think 1968 Bronco II's are too cool. >>

I had 20 1978 or 1979 Broncos in my yard at one point, that was my favorite style . It turned into an ebay business , I parted them out and now I'm down to a single 78 that I drive and a 1970 that I've taken off the road which needs to a full frame off resto at this point .

The 1966-1977 small broncos aren't bronco 2's actually , most people call them early broncos (EB's) or classic broncos , Bronco II's are about the same size but the roof doesn't come off and they only have 4 or 6 cylinder engines . At age 47 I am not as excited about manual steering and 4 wheel drum brakes as I used to be image but I'll get back into that one eventually . I liked the early ones ever since the first time I saw dopey Hank Kimball driving his red Bronco roadster around on Green Acres.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Cool thread idea bronco. Do you really collect Ford Broncos? I think 1968 Bronco II's are too cool. >>

I had 20 1978 or 1979 Broncos in my yard at one point, that was my favorite style . It turned into an ebay business , I parted them out and now I'm down to a single 78 that I drive and a 1970 that I've taken off the road which needs to a full frame off resto at this point .

The 1966-1977 small broncos aren't bronco 2's actually , most people call them early broncos (EB's) or classic broncos , Bronco II's are about the same size but the roof doesn't come off and they only have 4 or 6 cylinder engines . At age 47 I am not as excited about manual steering and 4 wheel drum brakes as I used to be image but I'll get back into that one eventually . I liked the early ones ever since the first time I saw dopey Hank Kimball driving his red Bronco roadster around on Green Acres. >>

Awesome! My brother in law had a 68 (I think) bronco II with a column shifter. Not sure if they all came on the column back then but when I first saw it I was like what the heck is that?? haha

I'm restoring an 88 Toyota 4runner. Love those as well. The removable top is sweet and when I'm done with it, my kids will love riding in it. I know this because I go out to the garage sometimes and find them sitting in it pretending they're driving lol!

• << <i>My favorite team pulled a victory from the jaws of defeat last night. I was only able to watch the 4th quarter and understand that the Denver offense was not very good in the first 3 quarters. Father time stands aside for no one and I think that Manning is on the down hill slide to retirement. Hopefully he will have a strong supporting cast this year and Denver can win the AFC West (or get a wild card spot) and make a run in the playoffs.

KC and its fans must feel the way Cleveland did in the 1980's when it could not beat the Broncos and Elway. KC should have won the game last night but its defense let the team down on Denver's last drive that tied the score. Add to that the fumble by Charles and you have a recipe for continued agony for the Chiefs and their fans. >>

Well, not exactly, but kinda close. Cleveland in the 80's was a serious contender, the Chiefs are not... yet. What Denver pulled off this game/year is definitly commendible, but,
    beating the Browns in the mid 80's was a feat!

Congrats on the win, maybe next yearimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!

Is anyone interested in tonights game?

I'm thinking the Redskins should win it , especially if they can get good pressure on Eli . If Eli needs to think , the giants usually stink.image
    Yes, I need some points from OBJ and picked up Matt Jones to sit on my bench over some other bum for fantasy, so I'll be watching. Unfortunately, I think it may be a battle of which defense sucks worse against pitiful offensive attacks. I'll take the home team by 3 in a low scoring affair, though Cousins is probably a better QB at this point than Eli.
    I think a high scoring "Fun" game is on order for tonight.

I HATE the Giants so go 'Skins image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [i though Cousins is probably a better QB at this point than Eli. ]

Eli puts that comparison to rest tonight.. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>[i though Cousins is probably a better QB at this point than Eli. ]

Eli puts that comparison to rest tonight.. image >>

I am not a Cousins fan ever since I used him in about 4 fan duel contests last year and he threw up an egg image

<< <i>

<< <i>though Cousins is probably a better QB at this point than Eli. >>

Eli puts that comparison to rest tonight.. image >>

He did look much improved over the first two games, but I'm not ready to crown him MVP just yet image I had a feeling it was going to be entertaining after the first incorrect penalty then blocked punt and wasn't disappointed with the challenging of unchallengable plays and ping pong ending. Pretty risky to have your #1 RB taking that role in special teams.

Who is excited for tonights game?

<< <i>Who is excited for tonights game? >>

I bet Vick is.

Its normally fun to watch these 2 teams play . I'm sure the NFL thought it would be a great Thursday match up. With Baltimore 0-3 they are going to be hungry for a win , with Ben out I think they will get it .

All the stupid dog fighting weirdness excepted , I used to like to watch Vick and play I'm curious to see how he does tonight.
    Im actually rooting for the Steelers to win, I am not a fan of Baltimore.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I said what I thought about Scobee on these forums, I'd get kicked off the site in a NY minute! image
    Here's to hoping the Hasselbeck/Mallett matchup ends up being more entertaining than my expectations.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Houston had to try its hardest to give that game away with penalties + stupidity. Well done, Houston

<< <i>Houston had to try its hardest to give that game away with penalties + stupidity. Well done, Houston >>

<< <i>Here's to hoping the Hasselbeck/Hoyer matchup ends up being more entertaining than my expectations. >>

My bad...

The old guys got it done, and it's rare to complement the Colts OL, but they did a heck of a job making Watt a non-factor.

It was so pathetic how the announcers had to keep going on about how mallette wasn't coming back in. They kept cutting to him on the sideline wearing a sad face.

He was upset , we get it you clowns . This isn't the Olympics we can do without the manufactured sob story.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good win for the Colts. Hopefully they can keep it going once the Division 1-AA part of the schedule is over...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>image >>

It's like those commercials where the Indian sees litter on the side of the highway and a tear rolls down his cheek.

That gif could be the next meme that takes the internet by storm.
  • The memes already top 2 on the internet.

If Seattle loses tonight then they are toast . Not even a wildcard berth if that happens.