Home Sports Talk
Options

Peter Edward Rose...OH OH...turn out the lights Pete.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
Newly exposed documents show Pete bet on baseball as a player as well as manager. After 15 years of denials, one of the greatest to ever play the game, admitted to betting on baseball...about 2 months ago Pete denied betting as a player. Looks like a big oops and now (IMO) forever locked out of Cooperstown.

See ESPN article by William Weinbaum and T.J.Quinn. It appears that Pete was up to his ears in debt to the mob.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This news shouldn't surprise anyone. Why else would Pete agree to the lifetime ban in order to stop the investigation? The only reason I could think of is because it was in his best interest. Proof he bet against his own team would be a HUGE nail in his HOF coffin. Shouldn't really matter though, betting on any game you are involved in is quite enough.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Rose should be in the HOF....................period.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What slim chance he had under new commissioner is gone now.

Moot point anyway as he wouldn't get enough votes anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 74 years old I don't think Pete cares anymore
  • Options

<< <i>At 74 years old I don't think Pete cares anymore >>

Actually, at age 74, this may be the ONLY thing he cares about, Paul, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    I am still not feeling the hate for Rose. I understand he now will never get in, but I still don't agree. "No Betting" seems like a rule of thumb that is taken way too seriously. PEDs alter you physically and give you an unfair advantage. Rose did what he did on natural ability and hard work. I will never believe Rose bet against himself as he had too much respect for the game. Gambling is an addiction like drugs, food, sex, etc, and something like this seems like it would just make him play even harder. Just wondering, but besides himself, who is the victim in this crime? Racking my brain here!!! Doesn't matter. True baseball fans know Rose is a HOFer and one of the hardest playing athletes to ever play organized sports. I only hope this devalues his rookie card so I can finally afford a nice one...
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>At 74 years old I don't think Pete cares anymore >>

Actually, at age 74, this may be the ONLY thing he cares about, Paul, LOL.. >>

+ 1
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I will never believe Rose bet against himself as he had too much respect for the game. >>

If he had so much respect for the game, he would have followed the rules, no?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    "No Betting" seems like a rule of thumb that is taken way too seriously.

You are 100% wrong.

Nothing is worse than compromising the integrity of the game and the institution of baseball.

It is the reason why the punishmewnts are so severe.

Baseball can can past the PED users and the cheaters. But once the bookies gain control and the outcome of the games is called into question, the game is ruined completely.

You have to get past the rose-colored glasses for Pete and realize this to understand.

In addition, I have no doubt that Dowd is correct when he says there was strong evidence that Rose bet against the Reds, as well as for them, and had Rose not agreed to the lifetime ban in order to stop the investigation, that would have also come to light. Rose has zero credibility and is a pathological liar. Like you said, gambling is a disease and people afflicted by it are not thinking rationally. And even if he did not bet against the Reds, on nights he did not bet on them he is sending a message to the bookies that he believes they cannot win. Any way you slice it, there is aboslutely no place for betting in baseball. Period.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I see the crime in betting on your team to lose, but I do not see the crime in betting on your team to win. >>

If you only bet to win, when you don't bet, you're essentially placing a bet to lose.
  • Options
    You are 100% wrong.

Nothing is worse than compromising the integrity of the game and the institution of baseball.

Baseball can can past the PED users and the cheaters. But once the bookies gain control and the outcome of the games is called into question, the game is ruined completely.

You have to get past the rose-colored glasses for Pete and realize this to understand.

In addition, I have no doubt that Dowd is correct when he says there was strong evidence that Rose bet against the Reds, as well as for them, and had Rose not agreed to the lifetime ban in order to stop the investigation, that would have also come to light. Rose has zero credibility and is a pathological liar. Like you said, gambling is a disease and people afflicted by it are not thinking rationally. And even if he did not bet against the Reds, on nights he did not bet on them he is sending a message to the bookies that he believes they cannot win. Any way you slice it, there is aboslutely no place for betting in baseball. Period.

+1

• Options

<< <i>"No Betting" seems like a rule of thumb that is taken way too seriously.

You are 100% wrong.

In addition, I have no doubt that Dowd is correct when he says there was strong evidence that Rose bet against the Reds, as well as for them, and had Rose not agreed to the lifetime ban in order to stop the investigation, that would have also come to light. Rose has zero credibility and is a pathological liar. Like you said, gambling is a disease and people afflicted by it are not thinking rationally. And even if he did not bet against the Reds, on nights he did not bet on them he is sending a message to the bookies that he believes they cannot win. Any way you slice it, there is aboslutely no place for betting in baseball. Period. >>

Thank you. This is the answer to the Pete Rose issue.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    "I see the crime in betting on your team to lose, but I do not see the crime in betting on your team to win."

Suppose one bets only on his team to win. What's to stop him from corrupting an opposing player by giving him a "cut" of the winnings? The gambler can have 50K riding on his team while offering the opposing pitcher 20K to groove a few pitches, or the opposing SS 10K to make an error or two.

Betting by active members is a bad thing, no matter how you slice it.
    Brett
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I will never believe Rose bet against himself as he had too much respect for the game. Gambling is an addiction like drugs, food, sex, etc, and something like this seems like it would just make him play even harder. >>

Addicts have no respect for anything they only care about their addiction. The whole world revolves around what they are addicted to.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    We are not a perfect people. Everyone is addicted to something.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    For years it was legal for people in Congress to buy and sell stocks in companies that they had insider information on, or had the power to pass bills benefiting companies that they had shares. Where was the no betting sign in their offices?
  • Options
    We are not a perfect people. Everyone is addicted to something.

Really? What are you addicted to?

As for me...well, let's see...I'm addicted to being happy and enjoying life...not sure if those meet the "addiction" requirements, but I do kinda focus on those two. When I was a kid, I was really into oreo cookies and milk after school...pretty sure I never missed an afternoon "fix" of that. I must admit to a package of those now and then. No drugs, no booze, guess I'm a low level addict.

As for Pete, well, I think he got in too deep with the mob and disrespecting the game...but mostly, I think he's addicted to stupidity and uber-hubris.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We are not a perfect people. Everyone is addicted to something.

As for me...well, let's see...I'm addicted to being happy and enjoying life...not sure if those meet the "addiction" requirements, but I do kinda focus on those two. When I was a kid, I was really into oreo cookies and milk after school...pretty sure I never missed an afternoon "fix" of that. I must admit to a package of those now and then. No drugs, no booze, guess I'm a low level addict.

As for Pete, well, I think he got in too deep with the mob and disrespecting the game...but mostly, I think he's addicted to stupidity and uber-hubris. >>

+ 1
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>For years it was legal for people in Congress to buy and sell stocks in companies that they had insider information on, or had the power to pass bills benefiting companies that they had shares. Where was the no betting sign in their offices? >>

You answered it yourself "it was legal".
  • Options

<< <i>For years it was legal for people in Congress to buy and sell stocks in companies that they had insider information on, or had the power to pass bills benefiting companies that they had shares. Where was the no betting sign in their offices? >>

No idea what that has to do with baseball but it's been almost 100 years since Landis implemented the no gambling rule which was obviously well before Pete was born. He bet. He got busted. He lied. Then he admitted part of his wrongdoing. Then he lied some more. Then got busted again. He is done. End of story.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Pete get in, as he was such an amazing player. I doubt anyone ever wanted to win more. He truly earned the name 'Charlie Hustle'.

Sadly, I doubt he ever will. He broke the cardinal rule of baseball...and the penalty is high. Very sad. Hope I'm wrong.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We are not a perfect people. Everyone is addicted to something.

As for Pete, well, I think he got in too deep with the mob and disrespecting the game...but mostly, I think he's addicted to stupidity and uber-hubris. >>

You would make a good politician.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Has really nothing to do with Pete, but it is scary to think how many umpires have been fixing games for years, and probably still do as they watch everyone else on the field and front office make millions upon millions.

I still say that Houdini was NOT the greatest escape artist/magician ever. David Stern was. The way he made the NBA game fixing referee scandal disappear was probably the greatest trick in history.

MLB surely would do the same the instant they got any wind of wrong doings from one of their umps.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Foose found those documents just in time.image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still say that Houdini was NOT the greatest escape artist/magician ever. David Stern was. The way he made the NBA game fixing referee scandal disappear was probably the greatest trick in history. >>

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

It still is legal (Congress very quietly and unanimously rolled back the disclosure rule of the STOCK Act, and recently filed a brief in May with the courts in a matter of insider trading claiming that Congress can not be investigated by the SEC.)

Roll back. How dare you investigate Congress!!!!

Given Pete's forthrightness, he should have gone into politics. A truly missed opportunity for him.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else see Pete co-hosting Foxs Game of the Week last week?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else see Pete co-hosting Foxs Game of the Week last week? >>

Yep. Pete still loves the game and studies it constantly. It's a shame that he can't be a manager somewhere. But...he messed up and is paying the price. I still think he belongs in the HOF but now at best I fear it will be posthumously,

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i> still think he belongs in the HOF but now at best I fear it will be posthumously, >>

The ghost of Joe Jackson disagrees
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    No idea what that has to do with baseball but it's been almost 100 years since Landis implemented the no gambling rule which was obviously well before Pete was born. He bet. He got busted. He lied. Then he admitted part of his wrongdoing. Then he lied some more. Then got busted again. He is done. End of story.

The issue is larger than just baseball. If the appointed leaders of the country don't have rules in place to insure that they behave ethically, then how can you expect the rest of society to respect and/or adhere to them. And of course it's legal, they make the rules, don't they? It sure as hell isn't ethical, though.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is Joe Jackson always brought up. He was nothing compared to Rose!

And YES.....Rose should be in the HOF.....PERIOD!!!