Home Sports Talk

So the NFL concluded...

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
...that it's more probable than not that the Pats deliberately circumvented the rules, and Tom Brady was probably "at least generally aware" of the rules violations.

What say you?

Comments

• JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I am getting such a kick out of this whole thing. Their complete disregard for the rules has quickly turned me into a big fan..
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I can't believe after 3+ months and all that money spent on the investigation, it all call comes down to implied innuendo from a few text exchanges joking about OVER-INFLATING the balls to piss Brady off and that the best they could come up with is "they more probable than not" did it.

I downloaded the report and it was a bear to read through. What I came away with is that they were reaching for whatever they could dig up. All of it was [barely] circumstantial; Tom like his balls soft, the balls guys were annoyed with his pickiness, and that both Pats and Colt balls were deflated, but since the Pats were deflated more, they're guilty of wrong doing [more probable than not].

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, hold on a second, the Patriots were caught cheating?? Color me shocked..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, hold on a second, the Patriots were caught cheating?? Color me shocked

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Patriots are like Floyd Mayweather, they would like to have affection from the fans and can't understand it because they are successful but the masses of people realize that you cannot buy "class" and even winning does not give you it. There will be a new champ next year.....and the Brady era is just about over.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    I agree. I think he'll get suspended for lying about it, but not for the deed itself. As much as the media and haters would like to overplay the minuscule advantages of a few psi difference in a ball, this is really a minor offense at the heart of it. Any other team or player, they would have been slapped the 25k fine, which is nothing, and that would be the end of it.

Getting caught lying to league, well. That's another thing.

Google Gronk's video response to the Wells report. Priceless. This is why I love the guy.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They have no proof that Brady was part of it so how can they suspend him for it.

I know it looks suspicious but without proof -----------.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    well they had no proof who pulled the trigger in the hernandez case..

bradys will still be called great...he just added an asterisk to it and another asterisk to the patriots
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image

<< <i>Patriots are like Floyd Mayweather, they would like to have affection from the fans and can't understand it because they are successful but the masses of people realize that you cannot buy "class" and even winning does not give you it. There will be a new champ next year.....and the Brady era is just about over. >>

wck just say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA instead of wasting everyones time with your foolish comments.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...that it's more probable than not that the Pats deliberately circumvented the rules, and Tom Brady was probably "at least generally aware" of the rules violations.

What say you? >>

Well that fits the "preponderance of the evidence" standard of proof anyway (that's third behind "beyond a reasonable doubt" and then "clear and convincing evidence").
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    anyone catch him on cnn? guilty as sin if you were on the fence...hes just such a terrible liar

i really don't like him as a person and yet still idiot really care about deflate gate....but his bumbling handling of it and outright non denial denial is making him more enemies and detractors. so now because of himself he's making it way more important than it should be...hes adding the asterisk to his history when it could have just been a near forgettable blip.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Here is the best case scenario for Pats and Brady supporters hoping that there will be no suspension - The report seems to indicate that some referees will inflate balls at their prerogative, regardless of the QBs preferences, which is how some balls in the Jets game wound up at 16 psi. It is also pretty clear that McNally had been deflating balls prior to the 2014-15 season, since he referred to himself as "the deflator" in a text before the season. At this point, Brady should just come out and admit that some time ago, he instructed McNally, in cases where the refs put more air into the balls, to deflate the balls back to 12.5 psi.

And that is a pretty defensible story until you think about this - If Brady feels that that balls at 12.5 psi are perfect, and there are numerous reports indicating that he does, and Jim McNally witnessed the balls being measured at 12.5 psi prior to the game, why would he feel the need to take them into the bathroom and further deflate them below 12.5?

It's like the scene in A Few Good Men when Cruise has Nickleson on the stand, and asks him, "If you gave an order that Santiago wasn't to be touched, and your orders are always followed, then why would he be in danger, why would it be necessary to transfer him off the base?"

There's really no way of getting past that. I really wanted the Pats and Brady to be innocent. I suppose it is possible that everything in my first paragraph is true, but because Brady realized this may be his last chance for a Super Bowl, saw the rainy forecast and decided to push the envelope for the AFC title game, and told McNally to go below 12.5 for the first time ever. And because he didn't want to get suspended for the Super Bowl, he decided to lie about it. That's a plausible story, and may in fact be the truth, but he can never admit that now.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lying about this is actually worse than the act itself, IMO. Is Brady Presidential material? image

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh you guys are killing me image Acting like this is important.

The report was a total whitewash. To believe it represents an actual investigation requires some serious self delusion. I'll grant that deflation probably happened but the report is a work of fiction. This is the same NFL that said it didn't see the tape from inside the elevator. It's a cartel not the supreme court , please assume it lies nonstop about everything because money.

They said concussions aren't a problem either , because money also.

Brady was thrown under the bus to protect Bill's legacy . Bill doesn't even get a mention ? Really ? We are supposed to believe this happened without Bill knowing?

Bill knows what underwear tom had on last thursday but he didn't have anything to do with this ya that could totally happen.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill IS mentioned in the report - and he's specifically exonerated.

<< <i>Bill IS mentioned in the report - and he's specifically exonerated. >>

It seems there are a lot of gaps in the part of the report that implicate Brady but we have certainty in the part that clears Bill. image

Is Bill the greatest coach ever? One more strike against him is the last thing the league wants. Tom is a golden boy so they threw a little shade on him to provide cover for Bill figuring he could take one for the team. With the 2 nobodies taking the majority of the heat.

If I commission an investigation I'm pretty sure the results will be exactly what I need them to be. Reference the repeated nonsense about concussions. Every effort will be made to defend the money its all that matters.

It was widely predicted here and elsewhere months ago that peons would be tagged as scapegoats for this. Are we surprised that they followed the script?

I think it's entirely plausible that Belichick had no knowledge of this. He wouldn't have any reason to. And Tom wouldn't have a reason to tell him.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such a non event. Yes, Brady is presidential material.

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    BTW Brady would win a defamation suit againsy the NFL if that's all they have (Wells Report) which is akin to less then zero.

Mark
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as he's suspended for the season opener vs the Steelers...image
    1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as he's suspended for the season opener vs the Steelers...image >>

That will be embarrassing.

Steelers losing to Jimmy Garoppolo image

<< <i>

<< <i>As long as he's suspended for the season opener vs the Steelers...image >>

That will be embarrassing.

Steelers losing to Jimmy Garoppolo image >>

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW Brady would win a defamation suit againsy the NFL if that's all they have (Wells Report) which is akin to less then zero.

Mark >>

Why would he win a defamation suit? The NFL investigated alleged cheating and produced their report after a detailed investigation. Truth is the ultimate defense.

As for the overall situation the Patriots are, and have long been, cheaters. That's not secret. However, they won and they probably would have won anyway. Suspend Brady a game and let's move on.
    Its mind boggling how ridiculas this thing is compared to texting during games, wearing sticky gloves and pumping fake croud noise into a stadium, these things really could effect the outcome of a game way more than .1 PSI off of a regulated amount of air in a freaking football.

All you haters are complete hypocrites because if it was YOUR team then it wouldnt be such a big deal.

Why should it be a suspension ? I thought it was money and a mid round draft pic? NFL has guidelines it should follow them. Whats the justification for not following the set penalty?

<< <i>Why should it be a suspension ? I thought it was money and a mid round draft pic? NFL has guidelines it should follow them. Whats the justification for not following the set penalty? >>

Its so simple, EVERYONE hates the Patriots and are sick and tired of them being a great football team. Brady has taken them to SIX Super Bowls and people cant stomach it image

They will continue to scrutinize every move they make and take any opportunity to try and stop them from winning
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why should it be a suspension ? I thought it was money and a mid round draft pic? NFL has guidelines it should follow them. Whats the justification for not following the set penalty? >>

whatever the penalty is, if it is anything more than what is in the NFL rulebook (a $25,000 fine), it will be headed to an arbitrator for a grievance. And just like the Ray Rice thing where the NFL overstepped, it will be found in favor of the penalized player/coach/team.
    Every quality team has HATERS. God knows the Steelers have them. Fans love or hate for the patriots have nothing to do with what the league will do to Brady.

<< <i>Every quality team has HATERS. God knows the Steelers have them. Fans love or hate for the patriots have nothing to do with what the league will do to Brady. >>

I include the NFL as part of the HATERS, like Barndog said if it is anything more than what the guidlines in THEIR rulebook states then it will prove my point even more.

<< <i>

<< <i>Every quality team has HATERS. God knows the Steelers have them. Fans love or hate for the patriots have nothing to do with what the league will do to Brady. >>

I include the NFL as part of the HATERS, like Barndog said if it is anything more than what the guidlines in THEIR rulebook states then it will prove my point even more. >>

What's in the rule book for lying and not being cooperative in an investigation? That's what Brady is in hot water for, not the act itself.
    He messed up, get over it and be objective if that's possible.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I include the NFL as part of the HATERS, like Barndog said if it is anything more than what the guidlines in THEIR rulebook states then it will prove my point even more. >>

What's in the rule book for lying and not being cooperative in an investigation? That's what Brady is in hot water for, not the act itself.
    He messed up, get over it and be objective if that's possible. >>

I couldnt care less at this point because we won the Super Bowl, all I am doing is counter pointing the stupid comments in this thread.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

He messed up, get over it and be objective if that's possible. >>

I couldnt care less at this point because we won the Super Bowl, all I am doing is counter pointing the stupid comments in this thread. >>

I agree....a lot of stupid comments

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW Brady would win a defamation suit againsy the NFL if that's all they have (Wells Report) which is akin to less then zero.

Mark >>

Why would he win a defamation suit? The NFL investigated alleged cheating and produced their report after a detailed investigation. Truth is the ultimate defense.

As for the overall situation the Patriots are, and have long been, cheaters. That's not secret. However, they won and they probably would have won anyway. Suspend Brady a game and let's move on. >>

They concluded that he more likely "cheated" then not. That's what the report said. So pretty much nothing.

The only penalty on the books that actually fit this alleged crime is $25,000.

Mark
    By refusing to turn over his texts, etc, he violated NFL rules. He also lied about not knowing the equipment guys. That's also a rules violation. That's the stuff that'll have him in the hottest water, I would think.
    That's for the act. Lying to NFL investigators is his problem. If you read the texts from the 2 locker room workers. he obviously lied about it. Why I don't know, but he did.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They concluded that he more likely "cheated" then not. That's what the report said. So pretty much nothing.

The only penalty on the books that actually fit this alleged crime is $25,000.

Mark >>

Actually, "...if appropriate, the head coach or other club personnel will be subject to discipline, including but not limited to, a fine of $25,000."

If he was only going to be fined $25,000, I think they would have just went ahead and announced that already.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    A suspension of four games for Tom Brady, a first round pick in 2016, and fourth round pick in 2017 and a million dollar fine for the Patriots decided by the NFL.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>A suspension of four games for Tom Brady, a first round pick in 2016, and fourth round pick in 2017 and a million dollar fine for the Patriots decided by the NFL. >>

You must be jumping for joy, I knew you would be the first to post about this..I bet you were sitting by the computer hitting refresh every 10 seconds till it came out! image

Talk about the NFL making it OBVIOUS they do NOT want the Pats to win again LOL

Either way the Pats will still win the division and make a playoff run, they actually could win the Super Bowl again.

The announcement comes less than a week after the release of the Wells report, a 243-page document detailing why an independent law firm found it "more probable than not" that Patriots personnel deliberately deflated the team's footballs below approved levels to give Brady an advantage. The report additionally concluded that Brady was more likely than not "at least generally aware" of the situation.

I mean they dont even know 100% this whole thing is true and they are giving out such a brutal punishment, again talk about the NFL trying to do whatever they can to hold the Patriots back!

Its ok for that two faced idiot Jerry Rice to wear sticky gloves though and still be everyones hero

Garappalo rookie cards anyone? Get in on the ground floor looks like he gets a 4 game tryout . If he does really well then we are in a Brady Bledsoe situation again.

<< <i>Garappalo rookie cards anyone? Get in on the ground floor looks like he gets a 4 game tryout . If he does really well then we are in a Brady Bledsoe situation again. >>

No
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a Pat's fan......but boy did the NFL hose NE or what! Pretty harsh treatment for being suspected of doing something!

And like it really made a difference in the outcome! Only NE haters would agree or like this action by the NFL.

Looks like maybe Bud Selig had his hand in this!!!image