Home Sports Talk

NBA playoffs. Who will win?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
What say you?

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    THE NEW YORK KNICKERBOCKERS (if you asked 46 years ago.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boston Celtics image
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    As a bias Nor Cal'ian I have to go with the Warriors!
  • skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to say my Bulls.. They got healthy at the right time, I like them in a seven game series.. but they haven't played consistently.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and stick Cleveland in from the East. I'm not sold on the Hawks, and I'm sure as hell not sold on anyone else from that conference. (Interestingly, oddsmakers have the Cavs a slight favorite to win it all.)

As far as the West is concerned, I think it's going to be a bloodbath -- and epic. I'll be the first to admit that I wrote off the Spurs with a month or so left in the season. Instead of being old and tired, it appears as if they were playing possum. They practically ran the table -- until the final game of the season. If you're a GSW fan (we have a few on here), I honestly think the Pelicans did you an enormous favor by beating the Spurs in game #82. Why? It dropped SAS from a 2 seed to a 6, and that more than likely means that they'll fail to enjoy home-court advantage in any series. In other words, the hottest team in the NBA right now has a tough row to hoe to get to the finals.

Btw, can't wait to watch the GSW-NO series. How many of you guys have yet to see Anthony Davis play? In 2-3 years, he'll be the best player in the universe. Mark my words.

So to answer Sanction's question, I really don't know. Which is why I'll be watching intently. image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Boston Celtics image >>

Lol. They have the right coach to pull it off though.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Lol. They have the right coach to pull it off though. >>

Ofcourse my post was tongue in cheek, I actually dont even follow the Celtics let alone NBA but I always want the Bruins or Celts to win because Im a homer but in sports anythings possible so Go Celtics! image
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Lol. They have the right coach to pull it off though. >>

Ofcourse my post was tongue in cheek, I actually dont even follow the Celtics let alone NBA but I always want the Bruins or Celts to win because Im a homer but in sports anythings possible so Go Celtics! image >>

Remember, Brad Stevens got Butler to the Final 2 -- twice! Butler!
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Warriors are unbelievable. Down by 20 points entering the 4th quarter in game 3 in New Orleans. They came storming back to tie the game with a Curry 3 pointer with 2.8 seconds to go. They then win in overtime 123-119. This series is over. New Orleans will not be able to win 4 straight games.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Warriors are the first team to advance to the second round, having just won game 4 against New Orleans.

Warriors will play the winner of the Memphis v Portland series.

Go Warriors, try for a sweep in round two.
    Clippers and Spurs now tied 2-2. That series may go 7 games with the winner to play Houston (who is up 3-0 on Dallas and should win to advance to the second round).

Memphis is up 3-0 on Portland and should advance to the second round to play the Warriors.

Over in the East, Cavs advanced today sweeping the Celtics. The Hawks lost to the Nets yesterday and though they will probably advance to round two they have not been playing as well as they did earlier in the regular season. The Bulls are up 3-1 on the Bucks and should win game 5 in Chicago to advance to round two and play the Cavs (Rose v. LeBron should be fun to watch). Wizards will likely finish off Toronto to advance to round 2 to play the Hawks.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Love out for 2 weeks will change the dynamics of the Cavs. A Cavs/Bulls matchup could be closer than originally perceived. Key is if Rose's health holds up. Either way will make for must see viewing.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I'm too late to say Raptors...didn't see 0-4 coming.
    Round two is shaping up to be matchups between:

Golden State v. Memphis

Houston v. the winner of game 7 between San Antonio and the LA Clippers (game 7 is tomorrow in LA)

Cleveland v. Chicago

Washington v. the winner of Atlanta v. Brooklyn (currently Atlanta leads 3-2 with game 6 tonight).

In round one Golden State swept New Orleans, Washington Swept Toronto, Cleveland beat Boston 4-1, Houston beat Dallas 4-1, Memphis beat Portland 4-1 and Chicago beat Milwaukee 4-2. In the 4 of the 6 first round series that have been completed 4 higher seeds beat the 4 lower seeds. Washington and Memphis were both #5 seeds who beat #4 seeds Toronto and Portland.

Atlanta has not played well of late, but likely will close out Brooklyn.

The best round one series has been the Clippers v. the Spurs. Road teams have won 4 of 6 games in that series so far and while game 7 is in LA, home court does not mean much.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    larry birds not walking thru those doors anytime soon
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Atlanta advances.

Clippers advance with a 2 point win over the SD ours thank to a fantastic shot by Chris Paul with 1 second left.

Round 2 starts tomorrow.
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    Go Warriors!!
    Curry wins the MVP award. Not as close as many thought.

Two game 2's tonight. It would not surprise me to see the Warriors and the Wizards win and go up 2-0 against Memphis and Atlanta.

Last night the Bulls and Clippers won on the road at Cleveland and Houston.

It would be strange to see the Warriors and Wizards play for the title.

The Warriors are officially in a dogfight.

Curry & Thompson had off nights, but make no mistake, the Griz took that game. Golden State really has no answer for Gasol and Z-Bo down low, and that's going to pose a huge problem if shots aren't falling from the perimeter. Tony Allen is a defensive beast. And if you need an example of what constitutes an MVP, look no further than Mike Conley. With him on the court, that team looks vastly different. He facilitated the offense, mitigated GSW's high-octane tempo and poured in a game-high 22........with a broken face.

Series on.
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    with two months of nba games yet to be played, how are there no games on tonight at all?
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    Midway through the second round:

1. Houston is playing awful and will likely lose the series in game 5. Fouling De Andre Jordan (and the Clippers doing the same thing by fouling Dwight Howard) is making this series awful to watch; and

2. Warriors v. Grizzlies, Hawks v. Wizards and Bulls v. Cavs are tied up at 2-2- and each could go a full 7 games.

Absolutely surreal game, and I sure hope some of you cats caught it. With 2:15 left in the third quarter, the Rockets were down 89-70. Game over, season over, right? Then, without James Harden, they went on a 49-18 run to end the game and force a G7.

Someone pinch me.......I've gotta be dreaming.
    Watched it as well. Assumed H. was toast.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    The Houston/Clipper game last night was one from the twilight zone.

Hardin was on the bench in the 4th quarter and the Houston reserves stormed back. The Clippers fell apart and allowed the game to be taken from them. The comeback was more than a nail biter where Houston clawed back to win by 1 point on a last second shot. Houston stormed back, took the lead and continued to run away from the Clippers to win by double digits.

The Clippers must be stunned and completely deflated mentally.

Houston must be recharged, but wondering how Hardin will respond and play in Game 7. Would McHale pull and sit Hardin again in game 7 and let reserves run the show in the 4th quarter? Would Hardin go along with being on the bench in the 4th quarter.

Both the Clippers and Houston have been playing as if there are two separate teams residing within each jersey and you never know which team (great Clippers or bad Clippers; great Rockets or bad Rockets) will show up.

Game 7 should be interesting to watch.

Game 6 of Warriors and Memphis is tonight in Memphis. That will also be interesting to watch. It appears that the Warriors have made corrections from their games 2 and 3 losses. Memphis has been run of the court in games 4 and 5. I would like to see the Warriors blow out Memphis tonight, avoid a game 7 and then sit back to see if they will play the Clippers or the Rockets.

Over in the east, game 6 of the Hawks/Wizards series is tonight. Atlanta should be positive going into the game in light of its last second win in game 5.

Cavs beat the Bulls last night to win 4-2 and advance to the ECF. Cavs's bench players caught fire and lead the team, including Aussie (and St. Mary's Gael) Matthew Dellavedova.

The ECF and WCF should be very entertaining.

Warriors and Hawks advance to join Cleveland in the conference finals. Final spot will be filled Sunday by either the Rockets or the Clippers.

Warriors should beat either of these teams.
    Conference finals are set.

Who will win and advance to the finals?
    Warriors win by 4 in game one against Houston. Game 2 is Thursday in Oakland. Warriors need to win game two in order to hold home court advantage.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta watch the Hawks tonight. They had the Cavs all year, but I don't know if that's a good thing, playoffs are always a different ballgame.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big blow to the Hawks last night with Carroll and his knee. Might be tough to bounce back a starter down.
    Did you see the play where Korver just cleared the way for Lebron to go in for an uncontested dunk? That was the worst display of defense I've ever seen and this is the Eastern conference finals, no less.
    Warriors won game 2 over Houston 99-98 tonight. Harden had a chance to win the game but he was double teamed by Thompson and Curry. Curry stripped the ball front Harden preventing him from getting a shot off and time expired. A very exciting game that could have gone either way.

Games 3 and 4 in Houston coming up next. Houston needs to win both to avoid having to repeat their amazing comeback against the Clippers. Harden is a great offensive player.
    Those first couple of games were phenomenal. I give my hometown boys a lot of credit for making the Warriors sweat bullets in both, but for them not to have stolen at least one has to be completely demoralizing. Now they're forced to win four out of the next four or five, and that's not going to happen. Harden and Curry are bona fide superstars.

I'll be at G3 yo!
    Curry and the Warriors have destroyed the Rockets in game three. They may sweep the series 4-0. If the Warriors do not win the title that would be a huge surprise.
    Definitely one of the weirder games I've ever been to. There was some enthusiasm prior to and during the first quarter, but by the second it's as if a colossal vacuum had sucked it right out of the Toyota Center -- never to return. By the fourth there was about a third of the fans remaining.

Kinda had a feeling that would happen. The Rockets poured their hearts and souls into Games 1 & 2, only to come up empty. I wouldn't say they necessarily quit last night, but instead I'll use this word again: demoralized. The Warriors are just better. Curry is probably the most prolific shooter of my generation, and this coming from a huge Ray Allen fan.

I expect more of the same on Monday night. The Rockets will come out playing hard, but I expect the dogs to be called off once Golden State coasts ahead.
    After watching basketball for 40-50 years and playing for over 20 years I can say that watching the Warriors play this year has been one of the most enjoyable basketball experiences I have had. Simply a joy to watch the game played so well in all facets of the game
    Here's the million-dollar query: Are any of you dudes in Cali going to pony up some cheese and catch the Dubs against King James in the Finals? You might even run into the Poker Brat!

How much more incentive does one need??

Scary fall by Steph tonight -- glad he's okay. Both teams looked like they wanted to play a Game 5. Kudos to the Rockets for not mailing it in like I thought they might (à la Game 3). The Warriors found out that a 25-pt deficit is even a bit too much for them to handle. James Harden is beastly. The Rockets will probably need another 40+ from him on Wednesday to have any chance of extending the series.
    I was watching the game at a local theatre (they showed it on the main screen). The place went dead silent while Curry was laying on the floor. Glad he was able to get back in the game, but I hope he doesn't suffer any after effects in the coming days.
    Warriors v. Cavs for the title. Curry and LeBron seeking a ring.

Can not wait for game 1.
    It seems that the eight day layoff is a good thing after all, with Curry still recovering from the fall he took in Game #4, and the injuries to Thompson and Iguodala in tonight's game. Maybe Speights will finally be healthy enough to contribute in the finals. At the same, Irving should be recovered and ready to go, so all the key players, except for Kevin Love, will be at full strength. Should be a great series.
    72 hours to go before Game 1 tip off at "ROARacle".

The King v. The Baby Faced Assassin,..................... aka Cavs v. Warriors for the title. Should be fun to watch. It would not surprise me to see the Warriors run multiple defenders (Thompson, Green, Igudala, Barnes and Livingston) constantly at LeBron to force him to expend energy as soon as he crossed half court. This in an attempt to wear him and out get him tired over the course of 4-7 games. This tactic worked well for the Warriors against Houston and James Hardin. Do not know how well it would work against LeBron. For it to work effectively the other four Warrior defenders will have to be on their toes getting into the passing lanes while still sliding over to pick up LeBron if he gets past a defender on a drive to the hoop. James is a very good passer so passing lanes must be defended well to prevent him kicking the ball out to teammates.
    Hope to see some competitive,exciting Bskt. If I had to make a pick I'll go with GS in 6. But I have no stake in either team.
    Really looking forward to this series. I'll take the best team over the best player, but if LeBron does happen to pull this off with a gimpy Kyrie Irving and without Kevin Love, his legacy will be etched in granite.

I tentatively say Warriors in 6.
    Double team LBJ and make the other guys beat you, go Dubs!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GS in 5

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess that we know who won game oneimage
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Well, with Love out and Kyrie hurting, I doubt The King can beat a healthy team that won 67 games during the regular season.
    Capecards