Home Sports Talk
Options

Kris Bryant drama

Does anyone outside of Chicago pay much attention to all of this? I read about how the MLBPA is threatening litigation for acting within the guidelines of the CBA; all because they (MLBPA and Boras) believe this kid is the next hot shot. I'm aware he did well in the minors, has had a great spring as pitchers work out their kinks, and has a lot of potential. Is all of this overblown simply because it's the Cubs? The condition of their stadium isn't discussed, but a kid that hasn't had a single MLB AB (and strikes out 1 every 3 ABs against AA/AAA pitching) is all the rage?

Comments

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    He can still be a very good player with a high strikeout rate. The 2014 AL MVP (Trout) led the league in strikeouts.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Think it is overblown because it is the scrubs. I get a lot of it since I am just an hour away.

Trout only stuck out 1:6.5 at bats in the minors. Yes you can succeed with a 1:3 ish ratio in the pros if you have huge power but 1:3 in the minors is brutal. But then again his slugging is just insane.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>He can still be a very good player with a high strikeout rate. The 2014 AL MVP (Trout) led the league in strikeouts. >>

I understand Trout struck out a lot, but he did it in the AL West facing some good pitching.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the deal here? They sent him to the minors to start the season so they can keep him from free agency for an extra season?

Good for the Cubs IMO, this kid will eventually be an overpaid player before too long anyways.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Whats the deal here? They sent him to the minors to start the season so they can keep him from free agency for an extra season?

Good for the Cubs IMO, this kid will eventually be an overpaid player before too long anyways. >>

That is what all the fuss is about. Boras is getting all chatty about how his player is being denied future money, the MLBPA is talking about litigation....high drama
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Whats the deal here? They sent him to the minors to start the season so they can keep him from free agency for an extra season?

Good for the Cubs IMO, this kid will eventually be an overpaid player before too long anyways. >>

That is what all the fuss is about. Boras is getting all chatty about how his player is being denied future money, the MLBPA is talking about litigation....high drama >>

Boras is a huge reason baseball can suck at times. Take a look at some of the over paid players that never amounted to anything after the contracts he negotiated. No wonder is cost $8.50 for a beer and $35 for nosebleed seats.

This guy is a cancer for pro sports owners. But a savior for the players.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Its a story because its the Cubs and Boras...

This goes on practically every year. He is older than Harper so if the cubs are waiting to cash in in his later years he may be old and arthritic. i jest..sorta.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    The most amusing aspect of it is Bryant isn't on the 40 man roster so he isn't actually part of the MLBPA yet. But yes, it's because it's the Cubs, he's hit a bunch of meaningless spring HRs, and Boras has been all over local radio doing idiotic interviews while completely ignoring that another of his clients (and essentially also MLB-ready) Carlos Rodon across town was also sent down. But he didn't say jack about that because no one cares about the White Sox nationally and because he knows Kenny Williams legitimately hates him and wouldn't have taken the high road like Theo and Hoyer (who didn't say much of anything other than Theo has never rostered a true rookie on an opening day roster), did.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I haven't heard anyone but Boras and the MLBPA complain. I understand why Boras would be pissed, his client is going to receive a rookie contract in 2018 instead of (potentially) $10-20 million a season. Assuming Boras gets 5%, he has a ton of money to lose if they keep Bryant in the minors.

All Cubs fans I've talked to think it's a great idea sending him down.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    He had a monster spring, prob sour grapes...

He will be back just under organization terms, not his...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the Cubs have lost the first game of the year, let the Kris Bryant countdown chants begin.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Normally I would say it is a smart move to keep him down for 12 games, but considering the garbage they have playing in his stead, and his immense ability, I think Cub Nation(including the Cub brass) will really be kicking themselves if they fail to make the playoffs by one game or something.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    2016 has always been the target. I kind of feel that Theo & crew think there's a chance they can squeak into the playoffs via wild card but if they don't, no big deal. If they were truly all in for this season they probably would've offered James Shields more than a token 3 year offer or pulled the trigger on the Hamels trade they were discussing dating back to last year's trade deadline. I'm getting the sense that by the time next spring training rolls around - one of, if not both, Starlin Castro and Javy Baez will be gone as well. When Addison Russell is ready by mid-season, Castro doesn't have the glove to keep Russell off of SS. So either Castro is moving to 2B or he's gone. So maybe if the Cubs are within striking distance around the trade deadline they'll revisit trade talks with Philly for Hamels centered around Baez, but that's about it. Next season they'll sign one of Price, Zimmermann or Cueto in all likelihood (most likely Price or Zimmermann if they don't trade for Hamels) as well as all the kids banking a season's worth of MLB level ABs and next season is when things will get truly interesting.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently some fans aren't being to nice to him when he strikes out 3 times in his first game.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will he even reach the Kevin Maas level??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Will he even reach the Kevin Maas level?? >>

Tim thats a BIG question image
  • Options
    He got his first hit and 3 walks so let the HOF talk begin...
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    I don't think he will have a hard time eclipsing Kevin Maas. Bryant has much more ability, and does have tremendous minor league production, as well as Spring Training production vs MLB pitchers.

After that rough first game, he has looked pretty good.

Obviously a lot more to prove....but he isn't the Cubs prospect I would be worried about. Baez has the most likely chance to be the bust.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    from 0-4 his first ML game
    to batting .429 after his fourth game..HOFer!!!!
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    He got his first hit and 3 walks so let the HOF talk begin..

I'm sure 60 some years ago, a bunch of guys were getting the same flak for saying, "Yeah, this Mays or Mantle kid is gonna be the next DiMaggio or Williams". There are true once in a generation talents (Trout, early Arod etc). So why not Bryant?