Home Sports Talk

Question for Perkdog?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Had NE defeated the Colts in overtime by a field goal, should they have been bounced from the Super Bowl?

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the consigliere for Mr Perkdog, I'll waste a minute or two to answer your lame question with a question, or two.

You catch your kid blowing some weed with his buddies in the backyard...would you (a) line them all up and shoot them? (b) ground him with a harsh punishment? (c) join them with your expert opinion of the quality of the weed and try to score a bag yourself?

While you appear to love self-indulgence on this board, you are basically making a fool of yourself by your never-ending tripe about something that is the equivalent of a misdemeanor. Unable to satiate your desire to have the Patriots crucified, you will, I'm sure continue with this nonsense, all to no avail, as the Patriots will indeed be in Arizona on February 1st. If you were to take a moment from your unending crusade of lunacy and review the stats of the game, it would become very clear to you that Mr. Brady and his associates could easily have beaten the Colts that day with a ping pong ball.

I suspect the result of this NFL infraction, if proven to be accurate, will most likely result in a $25k fine to Mr. Kraft, the loss of a 1st round draft choice...and the gestapo will squeeze some low level employee of Mr. Kraft to the point of a confession. He, in turn, will be fired and undoubtedly be cared for in "other ways".

Enjoy the red meat you are infatuated with, but get a clue, the game is over and time to move on with something a bit more mature. Mr. Perkdog, BTW, is in Kauai with the Perkies enjoying a much deserved vacation.

Tom Hagen, esq.

GO PATS

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the punishment will fit the crime. If New England goes on to win they will forever live with an asterisk. They have tarnished their reputation.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i> it would become very clear to you that Mr. Brady and his associates could easily have beaten the Colts that day with a ping pong ball. >>

Ahhhh, spoken like a real attorney. Avoid the question of cheating as the point is now moot. Weakly attempt to demean and minimize the messenger for even broaching the subject. Nice try but you will never shake the asterisk from this tainted performance. I will be cheering along with you Tom as a New England win will forever posture them next to Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong in the sports hall of disgrace.

You would perhaps have standing in a forum of 12 jurors. Find one or two that would buy your glop that the Pats would have won even using a ping pong ball so the infraction was of no consequence. Please clarify if you will, whether that small orb was inflated properly or if a bit of pressure had been released to favor the home team in rainy conditions?

It is possible, I suppose to convince a small percentage of the worlds NFL fans that the breech was little more than a bobble. Question is Esquire, can you convince yourself?

GO PATS

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You Al for answering Mglick in my stay while I was offline.

Mcglick I will say this, if there was undeniable proof that the Colts used a deflated ball for a Game Winning FG attempt and missed it because the velocity was taken from the ball then sure disqualify them.

That didnt happen so on the other side of the coin I think everyone should pile on some other thing and let the NFL figure out what is going on and decide what should be done about this since its obviously been an ongoing issue for years.

Thank you for the answer Perk. Enjoy your holiday.

<< <i>I believe the punishment will fit the crime. If New England goes on to win they will forever live with an asterisk. They have tarnished their reputation. >>

Ralph every now and then you out do yourself and make another completely stupid post - one that trumps others that you have made over the years. Bravo! image
    Growing up in the 1960's we were taught right from wrong. Even when we crossed the line, we understood that the behavior was not acceptable and consequences would result.....at least if we were caught.

We learned that certain so called professions were to be viewed skeptically. Used car dealers and insurance salesman come to mind. For the most part though, folks could be trusted.

Today it seems, winning and prospering at all costs is no longer frowned upon, but rather embraced and encouraged. The politicians that we favor get a pass, as hell, everyone is doing it. The teams that we love are exempt from scrutiny for the same reason.

Maybe Lance Armstrong and Barry Bonds should be revered instead of scorned. They reached the pinnacle of performance in a manner keeping with modern culture, rather than limping along as also ran's in the bowels of athletic achievement.

• kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    Cheating is a calculated risk. Until the punishment is so severe as to deter the action, some will choose to take the risk. I say some because there are others that will not cheat just because it is morally wrong. Kudos to those that choose to play by the rules.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • How do we know the referees followed protocol before the game? Do we actually believe that they checked the psi on every single ball? And why are we taking the official at his word when if he admits he didn't follow proper procedures he will get fired? I think this is one of those rules where officials know that every quarterback likes the football a certain way, and as long as the ball passes a "feel" test then everything is fine.

Anyways, the real reason the Colts footballs were not deflated was because their ball boy was holding them against the field heater all game, just like Minnesota earlier in the year. I have as much proof about that right now as the media does vs the Pats tampering. Brady will be on at 4pm, should be interesting.
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10

<< <i>I think this is one of those rules where officials know that every quarterback likes the football a certain way, and as long as the ball passes a "feel" test then everything is fine. >>

Sure, one of the wink wink don't worry about it rules. Seems like when I was defending the Dez Bryant catch the forum was indignant that the rule book stated X Y and Z.

Maybe we need a rule book on the real rules and one for the pesky little nuisance rules.

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    The balls were all reinflated to full pressure at halftime.

The Patriots won the second half, 28-0.

My conclusion is the Patriots do better with fully inflated balls.

Therefore it is the Colts who deflated the balls.

Capecards
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I love that the Patriots cheat in the manner they do. It's like old school pitchers hiding Vaseline on themselves or bringing a bottle cap in to scratch up the ball. There's a level of ingenuity and guile involved that makes it the game more exciting.

I don't care if they cheated. I'm sure Indy was breaking a dozen rules that no one caught and I'm sure the Pats and Seahawks will be cheating during the Super Bowl. It's just how the game goes.

The Patriots got caught, shucks. Slap them with a punishment and move on.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

<< <i>I don't care if they cheated. I'm sure Indy was breaking a dozen rules that no one caught and I'm sure the Pats and Seahawks will be cheating during the Super Bowl. It's just how the game goes. >>

Sure, the hell with the rules. Why not dismantle the game clock if the Patriots are behind after 60 minutes. Let em keep playing until they win. What the hell.

<< <i>Sure, the hell with the rules. Why not dismantle the game clock if the Patriots are behind after 60 minutes. Let em keep playing until they win. What the hell. >>

Well that's a straw man if I ever did see one.

I should qualify my statement by saying, I don't care if the Patriots cheated in this way. My pitchers analogy was appropriate, if a pitcher is caught applying Vaseline to a baseball in game 7 of the ALCS, and the team won 17 to 2, should the team forfeit? No.

I like the idea of clever tricks to gain a competitive advantage. I would assume most people do.

I think deflating a football to make it easier to catch is a brilliant way to gain an advantage in icy conditions, just like I think using a bottle cap to generate extra spin on a baseball is neat and applying pine tar to your bat to get more friction on a ball hit is kind of cool.

I'll end it with I hate steroid use and the use of drugs to cheat however. Otherwise, I think it should all be fair game and teams should accept the punishment if caught.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But who determines the level at which cheating is just "a clever trick to gain an advantage," and when it's simply cheating? For many people, using PEDs is not a big deal either, as the batter still has to make contact with the pitch, and using PEDs does not suddenly improve your ability to hit a pitch. Why penalize Bonds for using enhancements to gain an advantage?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i> Otherwise, I think it should all be fair game and teams should accept the punishment if caught. >>

Glad that I don't golf with you.

<< <i>Glad that I don't golf with you. >>

The only ref in golf is yourself, so if you cheat you're only cheating yourself.

In football however, I find Bill Belichick hilarious.

And grote, I personally draw the line at athletes putting something in their body.

You have to admit there's a level of ingenuity to the whole thing.
    My eBay Store =)

<< <i>The only ref in golf is yourself, so if you cheat you're only cheating yourself >>

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe the punishment will fit the crime. If New England goes on to win they will forever live with an asterisk. They have tarnished their reputation. >>

Ralph every now and then you out do yourself and make another completely stupid post - one that trumps others that you have made over the years. Bravo! image >>

My wife of 47 years read your post and says you are right on the money . She says I generally walk around on one foot because the other is in my mouth.

Ralph

<< <i>My wife of 47 years read your post and says you are right on the money . She says I generally walk around on one foot because the other is in my mouth >>

Never a good idea though to let the significant other peer into the inner workings of an active sports forum. image
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Why penalize Bonds for using enhancements to gain an advantage?
    '
    Grote15 Although he still needed the vision and bat control to make contact, how many would be fly outs made it over the wall to add on to his HR total?
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    If this were any team other than the Patriots, this wouldn't be a story. Since it is, and given their past history of seemingly thumbing their nose at the rules and Belichick's superior attitude, this has become a big deal.

I believe all teams break rules, big and small, to gain a competitive advantage.
    I believe that Brady and Belichick knew the balls were under-inflated. I absolutely think they are both lying. Crush me if you must, but that's my opinion.
    I believe that these kinds of things happen all the time with all teams at all levels.
    I believe the Patriots would have beaten the Colts using a ping pong ball, or a bar of soap, or with any other object. They are, quite simply, a far superior team.
    I believe the Patriots should be, and will be, harshly punished because of the aforementioned prior history. Yes, I believe the so-called "Spy-Gate" did result in the Patriots narrowly defeating my beloved Rams. That game was not the 45-7 blowout the Colts suffered. Yes, I am still bitter. imageimage

Appropriate punishment? Forfeiture of their position in the Super Bowl is laughable. What, you're going to put the Colts there instead? Seriously? Maybe they should burn their stadium down while they're at it (thanks to Ryen Rusillo for that laugh yesterday).

They'll lose one or two draft picks. Heavy fine. That's about it. Belichick's legacy will be tarnished a little, but it won't make a difference. He's a HOF coach no matter how you slice it.

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Wondering:

Unless someone comes forward to confess to this, which appears unlikely so far, how will the NFL ever prove it was deliberate?

Does not innocent until proven guilty apply ? What level of circumstantial evidence constitutes proof? Where is the evidence that a team performs better with a deflated ball?

Does it even matter whether or not it was deliberate, or is the fact that the balls were below pressure enough of a rules violation, even if not intentional?

Capecards

<< <i>Why penalize Bonds for using enhancements to gain an advantage?
    '
    Grote15 Although he still needed the vision and bat control to make contact, how many would be fly outs made it over the wall to add on to his HR total? >>

And how many completions do deflated footballs help you to make?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>And how many completions do deflated footballs help you to make? >>

Not sure, but the softly inflated basketball sure helped my game!
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ralph every now and then you out do yourself and make another completely stupid post - one that trumps others that you have made over the years. Bravo! image >>

Put aside for a second that Ralph's comments are 100% accurate (none other than that "stupid" Jerry Rice himself used the term "asterisk" today on the Jim Rome show to describe the Patriots). But you're going to turn this into a personal attack on perhaps one of the most laid back (not to mention witty) posters on our boards because his opinion differs from yours? Stupid? Really? Wow. Just wow.
    It's been a while but if I remember correctly a softer ball was not easier to throw but was much easier to catch.

Ralph

<< <i>It's been a while but if I remember correctly a softer ball was not easier to throw but was much easier to catch. >>

Definitely helps the passer to get a better grip, especially in cold and or inclement weather.

<< <i> But you're going to turn this into a personal attack on perhaps one of the most laid back (not to mention witty) posters on our boards because his opinion differs from yours? Stupid? Really? Wow. Just wow. >>

More or less what the place is reduced to. Reminds me of when Lance Armstrong sued those that accused him of using PED's. Not safe to disagree with the entrenched.
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    And how many completions do deflated footballs help you to make?

Grote 15 - Well considering a career 65% completion percentage passer completed around 50% of his passes in the first half with the deflation "advantaged" footballs versus a consistent 35- 40 home run hitter somehow grooving over 70 with his new found bulk, I would say the answer to your question is The deflated footballs don't help you nearly as much as the inflated arms do.

<< <i>And how many completions do deflated footballs help you to make?

Grote 15 - Well considering a career 65% completion percentage passer completed around 50% of his passes in the first half with the deflation "advantaged" footballs versus a consistent 35- 40 home run hitter somehow grooving over 70 with his new found bulk, I would say the answer to your question is The deflated footballs don't help you nearly as much as the inflated arms do. >>

I'm not suggesting the analogy is an even one, but I'm hearing the same kinds of things about this episode as I often hear about PEDs~that everyone was doing it, and that baseball turned a blind eye to it, so why villify the players who took the advantage that was in front of them?

Bonds was a slam dunk HOFer and 3x league MVP before he started taking PEDs~sure, he hit more home runs during his SF years, but it wasn't like he suddenly became a great player because of it.

Also, other than in 2001 when he hit the record 73 home runs, Bondss never hit more than 49 HRs in a season~in fact, his home run totals before his alleged steroid use are at least fairly consistent with his power numbers afterwards.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Put aside for a second that Ralph's comments are 100% accurate (none other than that "stupid" Jerry Rice himself used the term "asterisk" today on the Jim Rome show to describe the Patriots). But you're going to turn this into a personal attack on perhaps one of the most laid back (not to mention witty) posters on our boards because his opinion differs from yours? Stupid? Really? Wow. Just wow. >>

Your 100% correct

I owe Ralph an apoligy on that and I do apoligize, I am just extremely frustrated by this whole thing and it got the best of me so again I sincerely apoligize to Ralph I was out of line there.
    If nothing else, sports scandals and debates sure energize the board!

Look, I hate Bonds and somehow I'm now actually defending him, LOL!

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Put aside for a second that Ralph's comments are 100% accurate (none other than that "stupid" Jerry Rice himself used the term "asterisk" today on the Jim Rome show to describe the Patriots). But you're going to turn this into a personal attack on perhaps one of the most laid back (not to mention witty) posters on our boards because his opinion differs from yours? Stupid? Really? Wow. Just wow. >>

Your 100% correct

I owe Ralph an apoligy on that and I do apoligize, I am just extremely frustrated by this whole thing and it got the best of me so again I sincerely apoligize to Ralph I was out of line there. >>

image Now that's something you don't see everyday on these boards! Well-played and very classy Mr. Perkdog.
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    On "Brain Games", the television show, one of the tests to determine if you are a psychopath is do you admire a good con. If that is true, it seems we have a lot of potential psychopaths on this forum. image
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
    Lots of good people here on both sides of issues. No apologizes necessary. I do admire Pauls passion for his team. It is a shame the focus is not on the game.

Ralph

<< <i>Lots of good people here on both sides of issues. No apologizes necessary. I do admire Pauls passion for his team. It is a shame the focus is not on the game. >>

Thank You Ralph

<< <i>Lots of good people here on both sides of issues. No apologizes necessary. I do admire Pauls passion for his team. It is a shame the focus is not on the game. >>

Guess many of us jumped on the NFL subject of the week a bit harshly, myself included. Great that we have such passionate fans and even more, quality posters.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good form, p-dog. It's sports talk, therefore it happens. Besides, we can't afford to lose Ralph. He always manages to jump-start my chuckle box with his dry wit, and sometimes it's done without any intent.

I'll never forget the day someone asked peeps to publicize their last few eBay purchases. Ralph unveiled a mini collectible car he bought, but based on the title I honestly thought he had procured a vibrator.

Sometimes the stars align beautifully.

• jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Unless someone comes forward to confess to this, which appears unlikely so far, how will the NFL ever prove it was deliberate?>>>

Exactly. Short of a video tape or a confession, their "investigation" will be inconclusive.

This has been a good week for the Patriot-haters to bring out the pitchforks and go on their anti-Belichick and anti-Brady crusades. If the Patriots are half as fired up as I am right now listening to all of this garbage, I like their chances to win.

<< <i>This has been a good week for the Patriot-haters to bring out the pitchforks and go on their anti-Belichick and anti-Brady crusades. >>

...so how much is a 16 ounce Kool-Aid at Gillette?
  • VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a kicker but wouldn't an underinflated ball be detrimental?
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cheating is a calculated risk. Until the punishment is so severe as to deter the action, some will choose to take the risk. I say some because there are others that will not cheat just because it is morally wrong. Kudos to those that choose to play by the rules. >>

Single best comment made here.

Doesn't matter if it determined the outcome, cheating should not be tolerated or justified. How sad that this team, that doesn't need to cheat in order to be great, does so.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set