Home Sports Talk

The topic of deflated balls

Surprised to see no one talking about this..........not sure what I think other than "typical Patriots".

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Surprised to see no one talking about this..........not sure what I think other than "typical Patriots". >>

We don't need to talk about it as the media is doing enough talking about it . I think its mentioned every 3 minutes on every TV station. image
  • Pats could have played with a frisbee and still won that game. The pundits say every team does it, they also say every team tapes the other teams walk through during the SB pats just got caught lol.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    what? and interrupt all the other protracted junk? never. it's touchy subject and should be kept private.
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "IF" a deflated ball is easier to hang onto it didn't help the Colts. If this is suppose to be something the refs check why do they check them after the game?

Doesn't an official pick up the ball at the end of every single play? image
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    10 of 11 footballs two lbs below normal? Belichick will go down as the greatest cheating head coach of all time. Needs his balls deflated, if he actually has any.

• << <i>"IF" a deflated ball is easier to hang onto it didn't help the Colts. If this is suppose to be something the refs check why do they check them after the game? >>

Colts have their own footballs, this came about after colts picked off Pats.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    The pundits may say every team does it, but the Colts didn't do it in that game. Whether deflating the balls made a difference in the outcome or not is irrelevant; it's cheating and shouldn't be tolerated. Given the Patriot's history, this incident is no surprise.

If Belichick is as good a coach, and Brady is as good a QB, and the Patriots are as good a team as they all appear to be, why must they resort to such ludicrous tactics? Things like this have to be an embarrassment to their fans, who must respond by saying, "We would have won anyway." I agree with that, so the question is, why cheat?
    Brett

It's poor timing for seahawks fans. They will need an excuse for being blown out in 2 weeks and they won't be able to use deflated balls . I'm sure something else will present itselfimage
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a tease.....I thought we were about to revisit the Marshawn Lynch run.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>It's poor timing for seahawks fans. They will need an excuse for being blown out in 2 weeks and they won't be able to use deflated balls . I'm sure something else will present itselfimage >>

Are you saying the Seahawks were blown out? If so, I have some interesting stats for you
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Will be enjoying a good book on Super Bowl Sunday!

<< <i>Will be enjoying a good book on Super Bowl Sunday! >>

Really? I know your disdain for some aspects of today's game, but you don't want to watch what could be a good old school "punch 'em in the mouth" football game?
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if there's any poetic justice available here, the wind will be carrying the stench of 80,000+ hot dog farts towards Tucson that day. image

<< <i>

<< <i>It's poor timing for seahawks fans. They will need an excuse for being blown out in 2 weeks and they won't be able to use deflated balls . I'm sure something else will present itselfimage >>

Are you saying the Seahawks were blown out? If so, I have some interesting stats for you >>

How can you have stats for a game that hasn't taken place yet? image

I'm saying after the patriots win the super bowl Pete Carroll won't be able to speculate about deflated balls as the reason for his teams loss .

It's too bad because he will probably fall back on how the NFL singles out the Seahawks for extra penalties .

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you saying the Seahawks were blown out? If so, I have some interesting stats for you >>

How can you have stats for a game that hasn't taken place yet? image

I'm saying after the patriots win the super bowl Pete Carroll won't be able to speculate about deflated balls as the reason for his teams loss .

It's too bad because he will probably fall back on how the NFL singles out the Seahawks for extra penalties . >>

Oh, my bad- I read your comment wrong, thought it said "two weeks in a row"

And, it was Holmgren that always blamed the officials. Pete calls out his players. He will also have his players prepared and ready to finish- two things McCarthy failed at doing.

<< <i>

Really? I know your disdain for some aspects of today's game, but you don't want to watch what could be a good old school "punch 'em in the mouth" football game? >>

First off, as the NFL has confirmed that the balls were indeed underinflated, the Colts should be heading to Phoenix, not New England. They would have won anyway is the call, but that is not enough and is a poor excuse for not correcting an obvious fraud.

Difficult for me to watch 4 plus hours of anything on TV, even a favorite movie is a challenge. Commercial breaks, no matter how creative are little more than a nuisance. Past several years I listened to the first 3 quarters on the radio while reading magazine or book, and if close, flipped on the tube for the fourth quarter. Probaly leave the radio off this year as neither team is of real interest to me.

Yeah I am a crusty old dinosaur, but so be it.
    So, who would have to be in there for you to listen? A team that shocked the world, like Dallas?

<< <i>So, who would have to be in there for you to listen? A team that shocked the world, like Dallas? >>

Would watch the whole game if Detroit, Denver, Giants or a Cutler less Bears were playing. Maybe Green Bay.

No really good reason but I just can't warm up to Seattle and though New England has fielded tremendous teams for over a decade, they just don't generate much interest from me.

I will take a good college game over most NFL action.

Not to take anything away from the billion or so good folks that will enjoy the pageantry.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please file a book report for us. Actually I won't be watching either as I have finals that day and then flying to NY. Who schedules finals on Super Bowl Sunday.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Indy lost by 2 points and missed a game winning FG then it would be a ripe topic for discussion.

<< <i>If Indy lost by 2 points and missed a game winning FG then it would be a ripe topic for discussion. >>

Agreed.

The underlying problem remains though: this isn't the first time NE has been caught doing something.
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    To pull off that sneaky trick they really had some balls. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The pundits may say every team does it, but the Colts didn't do it in that game. Whether deflating the balls made a difference in the outcome or not is irrelevant; it's cheating and shouldn't be tolerated. Given the Patriot's history, this incident is no surprise.

If Belichick is as good a coach, and Brady is as good a QB, and the Patriots are as good a team as they all appear to be, why must they resort to such ludicrous tactics? Things like this have to be an embarrassment to their fans, who must respond by saying, "We would have won anyway." I agree with that, so the question is, why cheat? >>

Well said. I agree.

<< <i>

<< <i>If Indy lost by 2 points and missed a game winning FG then it would be a ripe topic for discussion. >>

Agreed.

The underlying problem remains though: this isn't the first time NE has been caught doing something. >>

They get caught doing what many other teams have done and get blown up because of jealousy pure and simple..

Hell Brad Johnson is coming out saying he PAID to get footballs deflated in the Super Bowl that he won and nobody is talking about that.
    MANY other teams? And, what jealousy would that be?

And, I'm aware of the Brad Johnson issue. However, isn't his an individual rather than the organization?
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MANY other teams? And, what jealousy would that be?

And, I'm aware of the Brad Johnson issue. However, isn't his an individual rather than the organization? >>

The Brad Johnson footballs were still technically legal........ they were just worked up as he wanted them.

I think the Patriots have some explaining to do with SpyGate and this Deflate-Gate or #Shrinkage.

It is funny that the Patriots try to play within the rules with their bush league eligible vs. ineligible receivers in the Ravens game by stating that it was within the rules (it is, but not within the spirit of the rules without the defense being informed in a timely manner) yet they skirt the written rules with deflating the footballs. It is clear they are hypocrites and will do anything to win. I know all teams look for an edge but they go beyond the line that other teams do...... and by doing so they are inviting and deserving of the criticism they receive.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hell Brad Johnson is coming out saying he PAID to get footballs deflated in the Super Bowl that he won and nobody is talking about that. >>

I read that he had the footballs roughed up, not deflated. Roughing them up is now allowed, while deflating them (too much) is not.

And, I'm aware of the Brad Johnson issue. However, isn't his an individual rather than the organization? >>

Jealously of Winning.

Spin it anyway you want.
    Perk, I'm not trying to spin anything in any way. There's a pattern of questionable behavior with the Patriots under their head coach, and it should be acknowledged. No need to get all Dimeman and call everyone else crazy

<< <i>

The Brad Johnson footballs were still technically legal........ they were just worked up as he wanted them.

I think the Patriots have some explaining to do with SpyGate and this Deflate-Gate or #Shrinkage.

It is funny that the Patriots try to play within the rules with their bush league eligible vs. ineligible receivers in the Ravens game by stating that it was within the rules (it is, but not within the spirit of the rules without the defense being informed in a timely manner) yet they skirt the written rules with deflating the footballs. It is clear they are hypocrites and will do anything to win. I know all teams look for an edge but they go beyond the line that other teams do...... and by doing so they are inviting and deserving of the criticism they receive. >>

How about people like YOU who are so uptite about every little thing and look to criticize every little thing that isnt perfect are just crybabys? Your complaining about them playing within the rules during the Ravens game and calling it Bush league at the same time? Gimme a freaking break.

As I said, many players have doctored the ball before and now the topic comes up after a 45-7 blowout victory by the Patriots- most of the damage was done on the ground btw and they are all bad guys and cheaters, I bet 95% of the players had no clue about the dam ball being deflated or inflated let alone Belichek. As I said if the ball was deflated and Indy lost by 2 points on a game winning FG attempt then it would be a valid point to argue but the reality is that it had ZERO effect on the outcome of the game, pretty much most of the Indy players are not even complaining about it because they know that the better team won.

If you dont like the Patiots thats fine but carry the torch against eveyone not just them.

<< <i>Perk, I'm not trying to spin anything in any way. There's a pattern of questionable behavior with the Patriots under their head coach, and it should be acknowledged. No need to get all Dimeman and call everyone else crazy >>

I think its absolutely insane that we are even talking about this after a 45-7 win where the damage was done on the GROUND, Brady didnt even have that great a game throwing the ball.

Im not denying that there has been a pattern but part of that pattern is always lambasting the Patriots and I think its because they win, if they didnt win then nobody would care just like nobody cares about all the other questionable things that every other NFL team does.

I just like typing about balls. It makes me chuckle.

Seattle 30
    NE 24

<< <i>I just like typing about balls. It makes me chuckle.

Seattle 30
    NE 24

image >>

I wont be shocked if thats the score, I am not confident by any stretch.

One thing for sure is everything leading up to the Super Bowl will be completely shrowded by everyone talking about deflated footballs during a blowout victory against a team completely outplayed in every phase of the game.
    Man, I hope not; especially since I just read a snipet from WEII that the league was apparently aware of an issue with the initial dozen balls, and the ones used were backups. I hope that puts an end to it- if what I read was indeed true.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Perkdog,
    I am a Brady and Pats fan (and have the Brady RC collection to prove it) but you do understand it is cheating right? No spin, no sore losers, no nothing. They intentionally broke the rule to give themselves an advantage. Now did they need that advantage to beat the Colts? Well the score certainly shows they didn't but the facts are the facts and 11 out of 12 significantly under-inflated isn't an aberration. If the initial reports are true and there are no mitigating circumstances Belichick should be suspended from the Super Bowl and the first 4 games of the regular season next year. I am all for using the rules to your advantage or pushing the envelope but they flat out cheated in this case even though they didn't need to. Whether Brady had the ball boy deflate the balls or some assistant coach did it at the behest of Belichick it doesn't matter. As repeat offenders the league should come down hard on them.

Robb
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think its absolutely insane that we are even talking about this after a 45-7 win where the damage was done on the GROUND, Brady didnt even have that great a game throwing the ball.
    >>

It would probably still be a pretty big deal even if they had lost. Plus, Tom Brady has played 230+ games and they've only deflated the footballs for that one game? That seems unlikely.
  • Tuck this one Brady.

All your money won't another minute buy.

<< <i>Perkdog,
    I am a Brady and Pats fan (and have the Brady RC collection to prove it) but you do understand it is cheating right? No spin, no sore losers, no nothing. They intentionally broke the rule to give themselves an advantage. Now did they need that advantage to beat the Colts? Well the score certainly shows they didn't but the facts are the facts and 11 out of 12 significantly under-inflated isn't an aberration. If the initial reports are true and there are no mitigating circumstances Belichick should be suspended from the Super Bowl and the first 4 games of the regular season next year. I am all for using the rules to your advantage or pushing the envelope but they flat out cheated in this case even though they didn't need to. Whether Brady had the ball boy deflate the balls or some assistant coach did it at the behest of Belichick it doesn't matter. As repeat offenders the league should come down hard on them.

Robb >>

All QB's screw with the football . Someone did something but its ok with the league obviously. If the league didn't want the balls messed with they would just dole them out in a self contained manner. This idea that the teams give balls to be inspected by the refs then the refs give them back 2 hours before the game is designed to let the various QB's set the ball up to their liking. It's like pine tar in baseball , everyone knows who does what and they don't say anything. There is enough player movement team to team so that it would be hard for there to be true secrets.

The ball got rolling started last week with Harbaugh whining about eligible receivers . Didn't Seattle just do a play like that Sunday? Its just smart coaching .

Deflating balls , bounties on players , using PED's , free agent tampering its not going to stop any time soon. Get over it. There is too much money in football to expect anything different.

You fellas are certainly entitled to your opinions and convictions, I agree the Patriots have cheated but I think all NFL teams cheat in some sort of way.

At the end of the day the Patriots are playing in the Super Bowl and I hope they win regardless of what most other NFL fans think or want, if the NFL decides to punish the Pats then so be it they got caught and deserve what they get.

GO PATS!!!

How many of Indy's balls were under inflated? Six? Seven? Anyone know?

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>How many of Indy's balls were under inflated? Six? Seven? Anyone know?

MJ >>

The bigger question is does anyone care?

<< <i>

<< <i>How many of Indy's balls were under inflated? Six? Seven? Anyone know?

MJ >>

The bigger question is does anyone care? >>

I don't. I do know that when we played all day outside (Detroit) the ball always lost some pressure. Granted these were cheap azz balls. Just sayin

MJ

Probably tomorrow the pats will have to fire the ball boy. He deserves it of course, if 11 of 12 balls were under inflated then he obviously screwed up big time on the 12thimage

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A million ways to cheat in a game, but they seem to stick to the Pats more than anyone else - so Belichick needed to keep it clean as a whistle (and failed).

Colts pumping fake crowd noise in when other team has the ball ? Quickly forgotten.
    Broncos, Redskins, Cowboys with salary cap malfeasance? Forgotten.
    Saints Bountygate? Forgotten.
    Seahawks with their illegal practices this year? Forgotten.
    Bradshaw, Aaron Rodgers, Leinart, the coaches currently at the senior bowl, and Brad Johnson all talk about how they know how commonplace (or admit to) ball inflation/deflation is - but it is a scandal when NE does it.
    Even "spygate" is poorly understood - and stuck only to the Pats even after Jimmy Johnson said he and every other team did it (with the Chiefs known around the league as the best at stealing signals).
    Not to mention some teams that are more 'roided up than average, teams that tamper, or even Peyton Manning being injured for the last 6 weeks but not appearing on the injury report, etc.

I hate that this garbage puts an asterisk in peoples minds. But it is strange that it is only one team that is called cheaters and it sticks... they all do whatever it takes to get an edge. Pats were like a man on parole, though. Could not afford another screwup, yet here we are.
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>A million ways to cheat in a game, but they seem to stick to the Pats more than anyone else - so Belichick needed to keep it clean as a whistle (and failed).

Colts pumping fake crowd noise in when other team has the ball ? Quickly forgotten.
    Broncos, Redskins, Cowboys with salary cap malfeasance? Forgotten.
    Saints Bountygate? Forgotten.
    Seahawks with their illegal practices this year? Forgotten.
    Bradshaw, Aaron Rodgers, Leinart, the coaches currently at the senior bowl, and Brad Johnson all talk about how they know how commonplace (or admit to) ball inflation/deflation is - but it is a scandal when NE does it.
    Even "spygate" is poorly understood - and stuck only to the Pats even after Jimmy Johnson said he and every other team did it (with the Chiefs known around the league as the best at stealing signals).
    Not to mention some teams that are more 'roided up than average, teams that tamper, or even Peyton Manning being injured for the last 6 weeks but not appearing on the injury report, etc.

I hate that this garbage puts an asterisk in peoples minds. But it is strange that it is only one team that is called cheaters and it sticks... they all do whatever it takes to get an edge. Pats were like a man on parole, though. Could not afford another screwup, yet here we are. >>

And thats exactly where I stand, everyone jumps on them because they win but other teams get a free freaking pass- plain and simple
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems New England only wins the Super Bowl in years they have been known to cheat. They should be overwhelming favorites this year. BTW did they use under inflated balls when they destroyed the Ravens the previous week?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

<< <i>It seems New England only wins the Super Bowl in years they have been known to cheat. They should be overwhelming favorites this year. BTW did they use under inflated balls when they destroyed the Ravens the previous week? >>

What game were you watching? The Pats won 35-31, they hardley destroyed them.....

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know why Belichick would risk cheating after the stench from the videographer debacle. Scandals like these just diminish what he has been able to accomplish, outside of NE that is. But his arrogance is well documented and as the old saying goes, Pride goeth before the fall. It's not a huge deal imo but why even bother??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems New England only wins the Super Bowl in years they have been known to cheat. They should be overwhelming favorites this year. BTW did they use under inflated balls when they destroyed the Ravens the previous week? >>

What game were you watching? The Pats won 35-31, they hardley destroyed them..... >>

That was my point. Did they have an unfair advantage in that game?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph