Home Sports Talk

Super Bowl XLIX thread - New England vs. Seattle

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Pats are flogging the Colts so severely that this deserves to go up with 10:00 left in the 4th.

Compelling SB matchup. Both teams well represented around these parts.

Discuss.

Dissect.

Talk trash.

Make Axtell proud.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No trash talking from this guy, the Pats are in for their toughest Super Bowl matchup ever.

My expectations are honestly low but happy to have another shot image
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The KC Chiefs beat both New England and Seattle in the regular season. image
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not know who will win.

Do know that if the Patriots win many will claim Brady to be the best Quarterback ever and if the Patriots lose many will claim that Brady is mediocre and can no longer perform at the level needed to win a title.

IMO he is pretty darn good.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Pretty darn good does not even start to describe Brady.

He will hold almost every single record by the time he retires including one of the sexiest wives in all of football.

Bar none!
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

My expectations are honestly low but happy to have another shot

Perkdog - I don't know you to know whether or not you are playing possum. But, the Patriots offense is built to pose problems for Seattle's D. They have a hard time with big strong runners like Blount and they do not take away the short passing game very well and Brady can do that with the best of them. And on the other side, Bellicek will devise the plan to take Lynch out of the game, let Revis turn Baldwin or Kearse into a no show and then if he learned anything from today's game, put Jamie Collins as a spy on Wilson. If they can force Wilson to stay in the pocket and try to score with a TE and one WR, it will be a 10+ point New England win.i
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vegas made this game a pick em. Seems right

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I'm a Seattle fan, so I'd obviously like them to win. Going into the NFC Championship game, I thought they would handle Green Bay more easily, and I'm still stunned they actually won that game. One of the most improbable comebacks I've ever seen and Green Bay made some HUGE mistakes.

However, if they played like they did today for 57 minutes in the SB, they will get blown out. They put very little pressure on Rodgers and had trouble with Lacy. If they give Brady that kind of time, he will shred them. Also, Russell Wilson must play a LOT better and his receivers need to catch the ball.

On the other hand, if they bring the rush to Brady and Wilson shows up, I really like their chances.

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Lacy had 73 yards yesterday.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    this will be the hardest hitting Super Bowl ever. some NHL teams should take notice. there are so many tough, fierce athletes competing in football, and the two remaining teams are loaded.

everyone involved with this game and the matchup should be happy. the network, the advertisers, the fans, even the geographical location is great. Jiffy Pop Stadium, i'd do without, but it's what they got.

we fans shall all be blessed if the game is close and exciting at the end. this one SHOULD be good.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GB handed that game to Seattle on a silver platter. Despite the Hawks' comeback they were not the better team in that game. If they play like that in two weeks Brady and crew will demolish them, easily.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    If the Seattle that played GB Week 1 shows up, bien.

If the Seattle that played GB yesterday shows up, no bueno.

• ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The KC Chiefs beat both New England and Seattle in the regular season. image >>

Yea, and if we could of handled the likes of Tennessee and Oakland, we might of got the chance for a re-match
    in the play-offsimage

If the Chiefs are the mesuring stick, then Seattle should throttle New England. But after yesterdays games,
    I'd say we can throw that out the window. I still think Seattle pulls it out, but I expect a good game.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
    Despite the Hawks' comeback they were not the better team in that game

So, the team that got 5 turnovers, several short fields to work with and had a 12 point lead that they let disappear in under 2-1/2 minutes of play left, while giving up 21 points in a 5 and a half minute span was the better team? Interesting perspective.

At least Seattle did not need a critical ref reversal to beat GB.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defense wins Championships.

This may be an amazing game! My guess is Seattle 31 NE 23, and Wilson gets a 23 million/year pay raise.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

<< <i>My expectations are honestly low but happy to have another shot

Perkdog - I don't know you to know whether or not you are playing possum. But, the Patriots offense is built to pose problems for Seattle's D. They have a hard time with big strong runners like Blount and they do not take away the short passing game very well and Brady can do that with the best of them. And on the other side, Bellicek will devise the plan to take Lynch out of the game, let Revis turn Baldwin or Kearse into a no show and then if he learned anything from today's game, put Jamie Collins as a spy on Wilson. If they can force Wilson to stay in the pocket and try to score with a TE and one WR, it will be a 10+ point New England win.i >>

Lightningboy, I promise you Im not playing "possum" I post after great wins and humiliating defeats and am never afraid to get blown up here when it comes to the Pats or Sox. That being said, I take my Pats very very serious, and have learned that nothing is guaranteed or easy. Look back at the 2007 Pats, there was barely anyone that thought the Pats would lose that game and they did. The funny thing is as disapointing as that was I was in utter shock more than anything, ofcourse I was very angry for a very long time about it ( And still am ) Since then the Pats have disapointed Patriot faithful more and more, the 2011 Super Bowl was just disgusting, I was extremely angry at every Patriot Player after that game, more angry than 2007 because they just played bad football from the get go and lost. So I dont take anything for granted, the magic of the early 2000's is long gone and although we make it too the playoffs every year we STILL havnt won a Super Bowl since 2005 and back then I thought we had another winner coming to us without question maybe more than that!

This game we are actually playing a tougher team than the last 2 Giant teams we faced and unlike those Giants teams which were EXTREMELY lucky, this Seahawks team is very very good and after Sundays game they have luck on their side as well!

Like I said, I cant be anymore honest than I am when I say we are in for a very tough game. I hope Im wrong, I hope we crush them but I will have an uneasy feeling in my stomach until the winner is decided.

GO PATS!!! image
    Perkdog -- I understand your caution especially after the previous 2 Patriot Super Bowls. But this is a very winnable game for the Patriots. They are 2 very good teams with Seattle having the better defense and NE having the better offense. That being said, the Patriots are a much more flexible team in terms of individual game strategy. I see the Patriots winning by 7. Good luck.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I prev. posted I was hoping for a GB/NE SB. As this is not the case I will ever so slightly be cheering on NE. Nothing against Sea. So in all honesty I will not really be dissapointed whomever wins, as long it is not a blowout by half time. The only gut feeling I get from the matchup is if Seattle can play that bad against a formidable opponet (GB) while coming back from a deep hole Sea. may just have the mojo to seal the deal. Sea 26 NE 21. Would be great to see the first ever OT in the SB.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    No one can call this one. Meaning I think they are as equal as the gb/sea game. Where it will come down to some weird play, turn over, pick six, ref call or bad play.

I could be wrong. Just want a good game.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
    as equal as the gb/sea game. ???????

That game ended up being equal because Seattle played possibly the worst 3-1/2 quarters of offensive football since pre Wilson. They tuned the ball over 5 times, extended several GB drives with penalties and had a quarterback with a 0 rating at half time and still won. And after all of that GB still needed a 48 yard FG with 15 seconds left to just force overtime. Those teams are not evenly matched. Seattle beat GB with one of their worst performances of the year.

Seattle will not get away with that kind of play against NE. First of all, Belichick would have gone for both 4th downs on Seattle's one. Belichick would not have tried to feebly run out the clock with 5 minutes left either. He would continue to score points until they were up by about 30 with 5 minutes left and then only have Brady pass on 3rd downs image

Hopefully both teams show up and we don't have a repeat of last year. The 2 best teams in football once again playing only this time I think it swings back AFC.

<< <i>a quarterback with a 0 rating >>

possibly the lamest statistic ever created. the rating doesn't measure wins, only puffy stats.

so, expect Wilson to have another crummy rating at the Super Bowl. and Brady will have his day of at least better than average.

a bunch of other guys will have a say in the outcome of the game, yet have no rating. but their actions will help everyone decide which quarterback was better.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Lightning boy, take it easy. I meant equal in that it came down to the end of the game. No commentary of the specifics. We here had no rooting interest in either. Just wanted a great game. Controversial which added to the greatest from us outsiders.
    Meaning, if a game goes into overtime its safe to say that it was a close game. As a great qb says..relax.

And despite whatever excuses you want to cite, they all came into play making the end of the game still undecided with seconds left. you yourself have stated the examples. You support the argument against yourself.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    This Jeremy Lane guy is setting himself up for failure, "FredEx" style...I hope Gronk steamrolls him.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>This Jeremy Lane guy is setting himself up for failure, "FredEx" style...I hope Gronk steamrolls him. >>

The nickle back is talking a bit, but what's the harm? And, I saw Gronk drop a few passes against IND when people got a little aggressive with him, so Lane's assessment does have merit.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys see Blount doing more, less, or the same as Lacy?
    Mike
    Bosox1976

<< <i>Do you guys see Blount doing more, less, or the same as Lacy? >>

Hawks will lay heavy hits on him every time he touches the ball, so much as to risk a couple personal foul flags if that's what it takes to force him out from exhaustion. it's what they do.

ETA: less. image
    I don't think there is any chance Blount has more yards than he had in the Indy game, the bigger question is will the Pats give him as many carries?
    if he puts one on the turf, BB will set him down like a disobedient stepchild. image
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knew that walking out on your team would turn out to be a great career move!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    What are the odds the first points will come as a result of a safety?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball