Home Sports Talk

The one and only Red Sox 2015 thread

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, thought I'd try to redeem myself from the doom and gloom I posted last year...so, Paul, if you don't mind, I just kinda jumped the gun on ya a bit.

Happy New Year to all Red Sox Nation faithful.

Al

Comments

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I'll have more enthusiasm if they get a couple top of the rotation starters.

Right now I'm looking at a lot of 7-6 type losses.
    Capecards
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Al! Happy New Year to You my friend, lets make this the "Official" Red Sox thread for this season image
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys...Happy New Year to all.

BTW, you might have missed my thread about having read "The Kid" by Ben Bradlee. Boy, if you ever wanted to know about Ted Williams, this thing was an eye-popper for me. It's a LONG read at 775 pages, but wow, what detail about his life. His son was a total POS, and I was not saddened to read he died of leukemia at 35. Ted had a troubled life, but overcame a lot of stuff, including a crash landing while his Panther jet was on fire. Had he not lost those 5 precious years to the war, his numbers would be off the chart great. I highly recommend the book!!

Hey Paul...watch out for I-93 if you ever get up that way...seems the idiots don't get that speed and icy roads still don't mix well... what a mess north of Concord!!!

Best to all,
    Al
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I agree with bxb . . . my optimism for 2015 hinges on whether the Red Sox can add an ace to anchor this staff. I like Porcello and I think Miley and Masterson might have bounce back years. But I'm not convinced the current rotation is going to be good enough in what looks to be a competitive AL East.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so the Sox traded the International League's MVP (most valuable pitcher) Anthony Ranaudo to the Rangers for Robby Ross Jr. Puzzling. If this was the Patriots, I would trust that they know what they are doing. But it's not. I hope Ross works out
    I cant even think about the Sox right now, way too wrapped up in the Super Bowl image
    the NESN website had a decent article on the trade. I do hope it works out!

<< <i>Thank you, it is a good article and I do understand Ben's reasoning on it.

I hope it works but they have nothing to lose as they cant possibly keep everyone. >>

I'm greedy. I want to keep everyone AND get Cole Hamels on the team!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to let you boys know that you have exceeded the forum limit for the number of Red Sox avatars on one page.

Please police yourselves or else........... image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Thought I'd add to the pile.

<< <i>Just wanted to let you boys know that you have exceeded the forum limit for the number of Red Sox avatars on one page.

Please police yourselves or else........... image >>

I actually used to have a Patriots avatar but got so BS after they lost the 2011 super bowl I went back to the Sox, if they win on Sunday it will be back up image
    I think I get an exclusion on the Red Sox avatar limit since mine merely depicts one of the single greatest moments in Red Sox history.
    All Sox avatars are gladly accepted !
    Hey Von...long time no talk...hope all is well out in CA.

Your avatar counts as 5 Red Sox logos! imageimage

Take care,
    Al

<< <i>I think I get an exclusion on the Red Sox avatar limit since mine merely depicts one of the single greatest moments in Red Sox history. >>

Totally agree
    When does the Bus leave for Florida?
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I'm only posting this to break the monotony of all these Red Sox and Patriots logos.

Go Tribe!
    The bus leaves Thursday about noon.

I hope they have chains on the bus.
    We'll here's another logo to irritate you a bit.

<< <i>We'll here's another logo to irritate you a bit. >>

Love it image

We gotta represent since this is going to be the "OFFICIAL" Red Sox thread this season!

GO SOX!!! image
    Phils trying hard to get either Sweihart or Betts from the Red Sox. I hope the Sox do not give them either one.
    I agree, keep Betts and Swihart. Give them back Victorino and pay his entire salary. Time to move on from that team.
    I saw Sweihart play out here when he played in Rio Rancho. He was impressive then and I sure hope they don't give up on him.
    Ho Hum just another BLIZZARD getting ready to hit and add more snow to the unreasonable amount we got already, Im running out of places to put this stuff image

This is ussually the time of year that I have serious resentment and get really bitter in jealousy towards the Red Sox players being in Florida basking in the warm sun why we are all miserable up here image
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Texted my cousin Thursday because he should have been at Fenway helping to load the truck but he replied he's been in Florida for 2 weeks and half the team was already there working out - that's a good sign. So maybe all the crappy weather around here drove them down there a few weeks early image

<< <i>Texted my cousin Thursday because he should have been at Fenway helping to load the truck but he replied he's been in Florida for 2 weeks and half the team was already there working out - that's a good sign. So maybe all the crappy weather around here drove them down there a few weeks early image >>

Zep I didnt recognize you with the new avator, are you a stamp collector?
    You guys are going to have to get a shovel brigade together to shovel out Fenway park if this keeps up.
    I hate Winter

<< <i>image >>

He looks a bit like John Kruk image
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why am I hearing the redsox are working on an extension for Farrell? I think hes a good players guy but a subpar manager overall. Who offers extensions to a guy that put you in last place?

If they want to pick up the option its okay I guess but the Bruins gave just Claude a long term deal and now the team sucks why go down that road?

If he came in last then won the World series I'd do it , but he went in the opposite direction

It's only 2 years so if he finishes last again they can dump him.
    manager pay is short money to baseball execs
    the infield gets more crowded: reports on espn say that Yoan Moncada signing with the Sox is imminent.
    I don't know what to make of the Moncada signing. Even if he is two years away from playing in the majors, where will they put him? Pedroia's only 32 and he can still play even though last year was a down year. The Sox just gave Pablo a "fat" contract. Xander was supposed to be the SS for the next decade. And then you've got Betts who was, up until last year, a 2B himself.

Either they think he can play 1B after Napoli is gone, that he can play an OF spot, or someone like Betts or Xander is going to get traded soon.

Thoughts?
    he's 19, so he should start in the minor leagues after Spring training. I have to think that part of the reason for signing him was to keep the Yankees from signing him. That could just be the old way of thinking. Pedroia is getting older and more broken, good insurance there. Someone could be headed to Philadelphia, so maybe that's insurance there too? I see Ramirez likely moving to 1B after this year with Napoli's final year expiring, unless Hanley really kills it in LF
    I think it was a fantastic deal for the Red Sox no matter where he ends up playing in the future.

$hit happens in baseball and the more great talent a team has the better off they are.

Would you be happy if the Red Sox were in the Yankees shoes with prospects they have coming up or the Red Sox with theirs.

I vote for the Red Sox myself.

Better get your MLB packages lined up for this year as it will be exciting.
    does this mean Betts goes to Phila?
    I was thinking it meant either Betts or Xander might get moved to Philly for Hamels, but if Moncada is really two years away, then it would seem like Betts would be the guy to go now because we still need Xander to play short. Unless, of course, they want to let Hanley play SS.
    I think you guys are jumping to conclusions.

I doubt if they are going anywhere right now.

The Red Sox will wait and see how things play out in spring training before any decisions are made.

There is no rush to make the wrong decisions before they find out exactly what the need.

Right now they don't know what they need but they will be in a better position with all their strengths in Pawtucket.
    I don't think either one of us were thinking about trades right now, February 23rd, but in the near future as in before the July deadline. The Sox have several logjams on offense now but a glaring hole in their starting pitching. It only makes sense to consider how this move changes the big picture.
    Do they really have a glaring hole in the pitching.

I have heard everybody say that but lets give what we have a shot before any decisions are made..