Home Sports Talk

Whew, all is well for Red Sox...Wade Miley (and more) to the Rescue!

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sox get Miley, Diamondbacks get De La Rosa, Webster, and a player to be named later.

So the Sox have a number five starter in Miley, a four in Kelly, a three in Buchholz, and we're just waiting to hear what they do for a two and a one. I acknowledge now that if they get Shields somehow, they still need a one.

edit to add a link: NESN

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barndog you might yell at me for saying this but I want them to throw stupid money at Max Scherzer.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Miley was 8-12 last season with a 4.34 ERA in the NL. Not sure he will save the day.

Still need an ace or two in the rotation.
    Capecards
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Barndog you might yell at me for saying this but I want them to throw stupid money at Max Scherzer. >>

Good idea but I doubt they will do that.
    How about Porcello being added and Cepedes being subtracted. Nice!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Barndog you might yell at me for saying this but I want them to throw stupid money at Max Scherzer. >>

I think (hope) they learned how that is not such a good idea. Wonder if the Yankees have learned?

Porcello was a four for the Tigers, so maybe he becomes a three for Boston? Moves Buchholz to two. Still need an ace and the Sox are disinclined to spend a ton on Scherzer. I don't see Shields as an ace. Trade market, perhaps?
    just read on ESPN that Justin Masterson is coming back too. No idea of the length of the contract, can't imagine it being for more than two years and more likely just one year.

Wonder if he goes to the bullpen or starts?
    NESN tells me one year for Masterson at $9 million. Not bad for a pitcher with an ERA in 2014 of 5.88!
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will like Porcello. He was a solid 5 for my Tiger's for a few years. He maybe a solid 4 for years to come. ..............Still only 25 and he already has 76 career wins.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>I think you will like Porcello. He was a solid 5 for my Tiger's for a few years. He maybe a solid 4 for years to come. ..............Still only 25 and he already has 76 career wins.

MJ >>

I don't mind getting him in a contract year either. I figure he steps it up with every appearance!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I dunno....what I see so far is a bunch of moves and a lot of average pitchers.

Not sure this group is worthy of a championship run.

Need an ace or two - keep 'em comin'.
    Capecards
    Don't forget we have a couple of good young guns coming up and we have our catcher of the future, who lives over in the next town from me, that will arrive before the end of 2015. The Red Sox are looking pretty good in my opinion.
    I find it hard to believe that the Sox are thinking they will induce ground balls as their strategy to win in 2015. It could work with the current staff, but I still believe you need an ace who can set the tone in the playoffs. Maybe one of the current five starters will be shipped out in exchange for someone like Hamels? Just thinking there's another move that still is going to be made.
    Hamels is a nice thought but $110 million is a lot of money to hand out.

That is why Lester is not with them anymore.

Lets see what the young guys can contribute and then go for a big package if they in combination with what se have now don't work out by the trade deadline.

I like what they have done so far as the offense can overcome leads in many cases and what we have may be good enough, we shall see.

Im not thrilled to be honest, Sandoval is "Good" and Hanley is as good as he has been and thats nothing special, especially if he continues with his BS little injuries ala JD Drew style.

At this point Scherzer would be worth the gamble in my opinion
    lot of weight on and off the field will be on the shoulders of David Ortiz. He's going to be the guy who will have to keep (yet another) Ramirez focused on "team"

Scherzer is going to get stupid money, I hope the Sox don't pay it. An albatross contract can cripple a team. The Dodgers won't come to the rescue again! Hamels compares favorably to Lester and all of a sudden, Hamels is cheaper than the Sox offered Lester. My vote is for Hamels.
    Hamels would be a good fit if they don't have to give up all their good players.

I can not see them giving away their future just to get him,

I would not give up their future catcher or Betts for him
    Well either way I like the Patriots chances of bringing a championship back home more than the Sox but after them winning it recently who the heck knows image

<< <i>Hamels would be a good fit if they don't have to give up all their good players.

I can not see them giving away their future just to get him,

I would not give up their future catcher or Betts for him >>

Agreed that Betts is untouchable. Vazquez and Swihart should both be untouchable, but I can see a scenario where one of them goes in a trade.
    I think you are going to see Masterson step up to be your ace. From what I have seen of him the last few years is that he is ready to explode as a pitcher.

Last year he was hurt all year but now says he is healthy and I believe he is.

Don't trade your future for somebody else's castoffs until you see what the ones you have under contract can do.

I think they have the makings of a pretty good team right now.
    Masterson will be healthy and playing for a contract, so that part will take care of itself. Plus, he and his family are really decent human beings. There will be no chicken and beer there. Always liked having him as part of the organization and wish there were more people like him on the team. I'm sure his teammates in Cleveland missed him when he was traded.
    He is the type of person that will play to the top of his ability regardless of whether he is playing for a contract or not. Lester took all the fried chicken and beer with him for when he plays against those other guys that are now in the national league or out at Beckett's ranch.
    read that the Sox are signing Breslow to a one year, two million dollar contract. I do hope he leaves his nearly 6.00 ERA behind this year image