Home Sports Talk

Red sox sign both

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
Ramirez and Sandoval to 5 year deals got $190 million!

What other deals are in the mix to get them down to the 40 player player limit?

Comments

• Die Hard Sox fan here like Sandoval deal not to sure about Hanley. His defensive skills are not too good. Wonder what will happen to Xander Boagarts! Know Middlebrooks is histroy!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Sandoval signing, Im not a big fan of Hanley Ramirez at all to be honest he refuses to live up to the hype surrounding him and is almost as brittle as JD Drew.

Either way Im glad the Sox are on the waiver wire rebuilding the disaster from this season.
    Middlebrooks just needs to be let go, all he cares about is Jenny Dell!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I can understand that.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure about either of those signings BUT 5 years and $90-100m are both "reasonable" in today's baseball.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder if Xander is headed to Phillies
    He is headed somewhere I guess.

There are so many extra parts right now I have no idea who's going where.

Extra outfielders, shortstops, 3rd basemen, 2nd basemen, I'm glad I do not have to sort it all out.

We do need starting pitching though so you know something else is going to happen to solve those problems.
    so maybe Bogaerts stays at SS and Ramirez moves to left field? Cespedes goes somewhere else for a starting pitcher? Obviously, more players would have to accompany Cespedes. I do hope they work on getting Lester at something short of Felix Hernandez money AND work a trade for a number two pitcher using Cespedes.

Ideally, sign Lester and trade for someone like Hamels. That would be fun to watch
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that Hanley goes to outfield and cespedes gets traded. So glad the middlebrooks era has ended

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

<< <i>You guys sure Cespedes gets traded ? To me Victorino can not play a full season, and JB Jr. doesn't look like he will pan out either. >>

almost seems like a given amongst Sox talk and Sox fans. They still have Castillo, Betts, Craig, Nava for the outfield (plus Cespedes and Victorino, and yeah, Betts is listed as an infielder on the team website, but we know that's not going to happen as the infield is overfull).

If the Sox work a trade, they are surely going to trade an OF who can't play RF, IMO. And that OF has to be Cespedes or the newly acquired Hanley Ramirez. I'm betting it is Cespedes. Does he go to Philadelphia along with others for Hamels or does he go to somewhere like Seattle along with others for a SP like Iwakuma? Time will tell. I suspect it won't take long.
    I say he goes to Seattle and Betts and Bogaerts go to Pawtucket to start the season unless they can get somebody to take Victorinio which I doubt. Middlebrooks still has options too. They need to do something with their 40 man roster though when these 2 new players are put on it.

<< <i>I say he goes to Seattle and Betts and Bogaerts go to Pawtucket to start the season unless they can get somebody to take Victorinio which I doubt. Middlebrooks still has options too. They need to do something with their 40 man roster though when these 2 new players are put on it. >>

no way they get rid of Betts. If they would part with him, they'd already have Cole Hamels. I think Bogaerts is their opening day SS. He will never see Pawtucket again
    Bogaerts has options left as does Betts so they could go down temporarily till things get worked out.

Some on the 40 man roster have to go though to make room for the 2 new guys.

That will be done through a trade or multiple trades.

They still need 2 starters .
    I like Betts and hope they keep him, Im OK with Jackie Bradley being shipped although Im not sure he has much value.
    I like both Betts and Bogearts and hope they are not going to be traded but really feel that they will start the year in Pawtucket as I doubt the Red Sox will be able to trade enough of their outfielders to make room for them and will need to find a place for them to play until they can.

They also need to get rid of their extra 3rd basemen as they now have 5 of them for that one position and one utility spot.

Lester needs to make up his mind where he wants to play so the Sox can decide what they are going to do or the sox just need to make plans without him.

Whatever amount of money he settles on will be more than enough to last him so he should decide soon as he has visited enough teams and a few more dollars is moot..

If not the Red Sox them I will wish him well with his new team and we will move on without him.

It's not the end of the world.
    Well there is one answer, Lavarnway designated for assignment. Thats a good move, he did not have what it takes to be a major leager and the sox do not need a catcher anyway.

<< <i>Well there is one answer, Lavarnway designated for assignment. Thats a good move, he did not have what it takes to be a major leager and the sox do not need a catcher anyway. >>

I would suspect he will catch on with another club...and then become a local superstar (like everyone on the Oakland A's!!!)
    Cespedes is headed for a trade, why else would John Farrell be spouting stupidity like "Cespedes can play center or right" ?

Really? Put your worst fielding OF in two of the most difficult OF spots in the majors?

LINK
    Would not break my heart, he strikes out too much for my liking.
    now the Sox need to get serious: Trade Cespedes for Iwakuma. Sign Lester. Obviously, it will take more than $20M a year to get him, but he's worth it compared to the two other marquee FA SP this year. Pay it, move on. Then trade for another starting pitcher. Too many extra parts with value to not make another trade.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Shaky at best on both players.These guys are not Red Sox Culture.I nsee Chaos in a year or 2 at best with both these guys especially Ramirez,What ere they thinking when they signed him?
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

<< <i>Shaky at best on both players.These guys are not Red Sox Culture.I nsee Chaos in a year or 2 at best with both these guys especially Ramirez,What ere they thinking when they signed him? >>

reminds me of the last Ramirez they signed to play LF. Worked out OK, but in the long run, not a "team player"
    Hopefully Ortiz can keep him in check. He wanted him so it's on him to do it.
    I just hope Hanley doesnt mimick JD Drew, the guy is always hurt and has not put up big numbers in years

<< <i>I just hope Hanley doesnt mimick JD Drew, the guy is always hurt and has not put up big numbers in years >>

I'm counting on him playing fewer than 120 games. My guess is the Sox management is working on plans for that too
    One thing is for sure they have plenty of outfielders to cover for him.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    The New York Yankees will emerge from the Hanley Ramirez acquisition as being either brilliant or foolish. Only time will tell.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    What did the yankees have to do with it?