Home Sports Talk

Been to the Superbowl, World Series, Stanley Cup or NBA finals?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
...Or the Indy 500 or Daytona 500 or the Kentucky Derby or any U.S. Olympics or the Masters?

I have been to the Indy 500 twice.....1980 and 81.

Blanks on the rest.

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Multiple events at the 1984 LA Olympics. Quite fun. Also multiple March Madness games. That is all.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    77 and 78 World Series.

84 Olympics - many events.

2016 Olympics in Brazil probably.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2016 Olympics in Brazil probably. >>

That will be interesting. Nation is having some significant problems.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    No, too expensive and uncomfortable with the tight seats and all the walking and stupid food and drink prices.

I can see all those events on my big screen TV in my easy chair with home cooking and beer from my fridge.

Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars and be uncomfortable just to be there for the atmosphere.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Up until the end of the 90's I'd go to red sox or bruins games when the mood took me but it costs more to park now than the tickets were then.

I remember you could walk into boston garden and buy tickets on a whim now some scalping company snakes them all instantly and charges over face value for my convenience.

To go to a game now is like to be a cow in one of those automatic milking machines except instead of milk it would be pulling dollars out of your wallet.

I have a TV I'm good.

<< <i>Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars and be uncomfortable just to be there for the atmosphere. >>

I can only speak for the Indy 500. No home theatre experience in the world can ever replicate a fraction of the live race action.

I am pretty much with you on the other events as anything less than a very good seat is a compromise.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars and be uncomfortable just to be there for the atmosphere. >>

On the one hand I agree. I don't love fighting the crowds among other problems you mention. However, the electricity at certain live events can not be duplicated on TV. I am speaking of NCAA hoops tourney games when the underdog takes the lead with a minute to go, Wayne Gretzky's first year with the King's, the last couple innings of a no-hitter, etc.... It's amazing! There is NO tv in the world that can replicate that.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I guess it all depends what you need in life to make you happy.

Those things are nice but at 75 years old the bad things far out weigh all those little perks that are being mentioned.

I will stay at home thank you.

You young guys and gals can have all the fun for me.
    Good point, Pitboss. I have certainly wound down my attendance over the years.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stanley Cup several times ( Wings ), World Series twice (Tigers), NBA Finals, (Pistons).................SuperBowl never. I did sell my tickets and rented my house out for the event. Took my son skiing out West with the proceeds.

Indy, Ryder Cup several times, Olympics, NCAA Finals hoops and hockey and various bowl games

Mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Took my son skiing our West with the proceeds. >>

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have been to several World Series games. My son has been to the Masters and the Final Four. You would have to pay me to go the Stanley Cup,NBA Finals, Olympics, or a car race.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never been to any but pretty much have a "will sell my kidney" mindset of going to the Super Bowl if the Lions ever make it.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to see game four of the 1981 Stanley Cup Finals. Buddy of mine and his wife had season tickets and after game three I got to go in her place.

Most exciting sports event I have ever seen! The crowd was TOTALLY into it! North Stars only win in the series, they were outclassed, but not that night!

I had gone to several games during the season and as a young fan wondered why the crowd didn't get "into it" more. This game was as loud as it could get from opening face off till the end.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

<< <i>Never been to any but pretty much have a "will sell my kidney" mindset of going to the Super Bowl if the Lions ever make it. >>

I might go an eye tooth. Anatomies are probably safe for a while though.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at Game 1 of the 1984 World Series.

That's the only one I've ever been to.

Steve
  • bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I was at the bronze medal match at the '84 Olympics. I was 7 and don't remember who played, but I vividly remember doing the wave for the first time.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

The Daytona 500 is about 4 miles from my house and went in the bill Elliot days.

In 05 we made the very short trip to Jacksonville for SB and what a game the pats. vs. eagles was.

In 2007 me and my son went to superbowl in Miami and it never stopped raining once. had a chance
    to sell our tickets for about 10x's what I paid on Saturday but was sure the weather would clear up and
    gotta say I was very wrong. I figured Peyton had a deal for clear skies, no such luck

Had a great time in 95 watching Magic vs. rockets in nba finals, watching
    Shaq go against Hakeem was the best, I was hoping magic would not get swept cause we had
    later game tickets as well but Clyde and company were having none of that.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Stanley Cup Finals - 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983

World Series - Game 6 of the '86 Series and game 5 of the '00 Series.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I have been to the NBA finals, game 5 Pistons vs Lakers, last game at the old Silverdome before they moved to the Palace. Saw Rob Lowe, Jack Nicholson and Sammy Hagar at the game. Van Halen was going to play the next night.

<< <i>I have been to the NBA finals, game 5 Pistons vs Lakers, last game at the old Silverdome before they moved to the Palace >>

That was quite a trip watching the Pistons at the Dome. I saw many games during the Dick Vitale Era.

Really enjoyed the games at Cobo the best.
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    My dad took me to Super Bowl XVI when I was a teenager.

Matt