Home Sports Talk
Options

Warriors torched the Clippers tonight.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
Two franchises that have been horrible for a long time are now very good. A bitter rivalry is developing. The Warriors have multiple players who can light it up. They are in constant motion on offense, leading to open shots. They shot 15 for 25 free three points range tonight. 60 per cent. They also are playing hard nosed defense. Warrior fans should have fun this season.

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    They also made all their free throws, something that past Warrior teams have always struggled with. So far so good.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    How about the King's!? 4-1 start! #norcalhoops
  • Options
    The Kings are off to a great start. The Cow Bells must be pealing in Sacto.

Would not it be amazing if the Pacific Division title this year becomes a three way dog fight between the Kings, Warriors and Clippers with the Lakers not winning 20 games? Who would have ever thought that?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the future looks bright for the Cavs as well. Plenty of stars on the team now and it appears they may have the first pick in the draft again next year.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>The Kings are off to a great start. The Cow Bells must be pealing in Sacto.

Would not it be amazing if the Pacific Division title this year becomes a three way dog fight between the Kings, Warriors and Clippers with the Lakers not winning 20 games? Who would have ever thought that? >>

Lol. I am excited with our start but not anticipating it lasting. That would be the sports story of the year. I think the over/under in Vegas is 31.5 wins so they are already well ahead of schedule.
  • Options
    In a battle of unbeaten teams, the Warriors rout the Rockets in Houston. GS is now 5-0, their best start since 1994-95, the year Chris Webber had his infamous run-in with Don Nelson.
  • Options
    Who would have predicted that the Warriors would be the only undefeated team in the NBA. They beat Houston and Memphis has also fallen from the ranks of the unbeaten.
  • Options
    Bad night for Nor Cal hoops last night. image
  • Options
    W's won their first five, then lost two and have now won five in a row for the second time this season.

W's currently 10-2 while the LA Clippers are 7-5.

Who woulda thunk it?

It is most enjoyable to see the W's play a fast paced offensive game with players who can run, shoot, pass and score in droves from both the outside and the inside. Even better is the lock down defense the W's are playing.

Oracle will be rocking every home game this year. Joe Lacob and the other owners of the W's must be pleased seeing the value of the franchise skyrocket. When the W's move to a new arena in the waterfront area of S.F. the value of the franchise will rise even faster.
  • Options
    The Warriors remind me of the great Kings team of the 2000-2002 era. I love teams that move the ball around and look for the best shot. The isolation game is so boring.
  • Options
    W's torched the Heat by 17 tonight to extend its winning streak to 6 games. Now at 11-2 for the season.

I checked the standings of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference and was amused to see:

1. Warriors

2. Sacramento Kings

3. LA Clippers

4. Phoenix Suns

5. LA Lakers.

Who would have ever predicted the above!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>W's torched the Heat by 17 tonight to extend its winning streak to 6 games. Now at 11-2 for the season.

I checked the standings of the Pacific Division of the Western Conference and was amused to see:

1. Warriors

2. Sacramento Kings

3. LA Clippers

4. Phoenix Suns

5. LA Lakers.

Who would have ever predicted the above!!!! >>

I knew the Kings would have 9 wins... just thought it would be about February and not by the end of November. image Would be awesome to have some meaningful Warrior/King's games this season.
  • Options
    Wow, the Dubs won again. Never seen them play this well, and I've followed them since 1972.
  • Options
    W ' s end November with a 14-2 record, a 9 game winning streak and 5 straight on the road. Tied with Memphis for the best record in the league.

Wonder if the team can maintain their current winning ways all year?
  • Options
    They've been beating up on some weak teams, so I think they'll come back down to earth when their schedule gets tougher. I can see this team finishing up the regular season with between 52-55 wins, though.
  • Options
    The Dubs build a 12 point lead against the Magic, lose the lead and fall behind by 9 with 4 minutes to go, go on a 9-0 run to tie the game, go down by 2 with seven seconds to go, then Steph Curry hits a 3 pointer with 2.2 seconds to go, and win the game. They weren't sharp, but they're finding ways to get the job done.
  • Options
    Just finished watching the W ' s game against the Pelicans tonight. Anthony Davis is a rising star. He is playing like an MVP candidate. He scored 30 and had 12 or more rebounds. All for naught though as the Warriors won the game by 20 plus. 11 straight wins and a record of
    16-2. Go Warriors.
  • Options
    The winning streak continues on the road in Chicago against the Bulls. 12 in a row, a new franchise record. 17-2 overall. The W ' s were down 80-79 at the end of the 3rd quarter and they outscored the Bulls 33-22 in the 4th quarter to win by 10. The Bay Area has not seen pro hoops played at this level in over 40 years. The Warriors have a stretch of road games between now and Christmas against some of the best teams in the league. I wonder if the team will continue winning.

Go Warriors.
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Draymond, Mo Buckets, and Livingston all played well down the stretch. Curry and Thompson weren't as sharp shooting the ball against Chicago but they made up for by finding their way to the line. The key tonight was the D forcing Chicago into 22 turn overs. It also helped that D.Rose didn't have the foot speed to stay with Curry and allowed him to make a couple easy assists. Plus Rose was lacking that quick first step which allows him to be aggressive in the paint. Pau Gasol had a great game with 22 pts and 20 rebounds, Noah and Butler both made contributions, but ultimately they needed more scoring. Overall you have to hand it to the Warriors for continuing to play well in the 4th quarter and distancing themselves in what was an otherwise close game.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    The Warriors just beat 16-4 Houston tonight 105-93. Both teams played lock down defense. With about 7 minutes to go in the game the Warriors were down by 3. They went small, attacked the rim, forced the tempo, got some turnovers and outscored Houston 22-7 to win going away.

Amazing run by the Warriors so far. They have a 14 game win streak going and are 19-2 on the year. They are deep, talented, great defensively and loaded with players who can shoot from anywhere on the court.

If the Warriors can win most of their next 5 or 6 games against many of the better teams in the league they will be considere d legit contenders instead of pretenders.

Go Warriors.
  • Options
    Awesome! Keep it up!
  • Options
    Holding onto that top spot in the west could be pretty important for the Warriors this season. Look how loaded the west looks 1 through 7, Dallas is number 7 right now and they have a .708 win percentage. Spots 2 through 7 are shaping up to be tough first round battles. It's still very early, but the difference could be where a #8 seed has a .525 winning percentage and a #7 has a .640 at the end of the year. That could translate to a #2 seed having to play a deciding game in the opening round of the playoffs where a #1 seed might get a few days rest after trouncing their opening round opponent.

• Options
    With the season only about 25% completed there is tons of regular season basketball left to play.

The Western Conference is loaded again this year with good teams. There may be very little difference at the end of the season between the quality of the #1 seed and the #8 seed.

Between now and Christmas the Warriors play Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis, Sacramento, LA Lakers and LA Clippers. All of these teams except the Lakers are at or above .500 (with Dallas, Memphis and the Clippers being way above .500). If the Warriors play well in the next 6 games and break go 4-2 or better that would be fantastic.

If the Warriors and the Clippers do not lose between now and their Christmas Day game at the Staples Center that game will be electric.
  • Options
    Warriors beat Dallas in Dallas today to extend it's winning streak to 15. Doing well on this tough road trip. Now 20-2.
  • Options
    Warriors win in Dallas today. 15 in a row. 20-2 overall.

The fun run continues.

• Options
    I revise my prediction on the Warriors regular season record. If they go 40-20 the rest of the way, they'll finish at 60-22. I think that's attainable now. The key will be, as it is for all teams, is if they can stay healthy. Bogut is always a concern, and every time Curry rolls an ankle, you keep your fingers crossed.
  • Options
    #16 in a row today. Next up is Memphis on the road.
  • Options
    ... and this win streak upset the King's owner (former minority owner of the dubs) so he fired the King's coach. Strange move.

Keep it up Warriors... at least until you play the Kings!
  • Options
    Just finished watching the Warriors play Toronto tonight in Oakland.

The best team in the Western Conference against the best team in the Eastern Conferrence.

The game was very good. both teams are really good. However the Warriors won going away at 126-105.

The Warriors are now 26-5 on the season and on a roll. They play an extended # of games at home in January and could end up winning most of their games this month.

My son went to the game tonight and was amazed at how good the Warriors are playing.
  • Options
    The Warriors played well in their win over Toronto, Draymond had a triple double, Speights was 12 of 19 with 26 pts and 8 Rbs, Curry had 32 pts on 8 of 13 shooting with 12 assists and 0 turnovers. Klay shot the ball well and added 20 but was careless with the ball at times. Having a bench of David Lee, Shaun Livingston, Andre Iguadala, and Justin Holiday is just ridiculous. The Warriors bench forces other teams to use their starters extended minutes because otherwise the lead will likely grow larger. The Warriors will still have some match-up issues to work out when they play Memphis and San Antonio, but against everyone else they match-up reasonably well even without Bogut. This is the first year where Warrior players say they want to compete for a championship and you believe them.

• Options
    The Warriors just beat OK tonight 117-91 and held OK to 30% shooting. Another great performance. The team is now 27 wins and 5 losses.

Go Warriors.
  • Options
    The second stringers on the Dubs could win 40-45 games on their own. That's how deep they are this year, probably the deepest team in franchise history. That's what you get when you have an intelligent ownership group and front office, and are willing to spend the bucks to pay for the bench.
  • Options
    28-5 after beating the Pacers last night 117-102. Next up Cleveland tomorrow. King James will not play. Should be another W for the Dubs.

• Options
    Oh that's funny. I could swear the ticker, on the local news, had that score the other way around. I was really surprised.

Kings beat OKC which was a rare surprise up here.
  • Options
    29-5 courtesy of an 18 point win over Cleveland. At the pace the Warriors would finished the season 70-12.

It is likely the team will not keep up this pace, but 55-60 wins is doable.
  • Options
    The great thing about these wins is that they've been accomplished without the expense of having to play Curry and Thompson too much. If both of them can keep their minutes in the low 30's, that will pay huge dividends in the playoffs.
  • Options
    One of the best things the Warriors have going for them this season is an amazingly strong bench.

The current starters are Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Green and Speights.

Andre Iguadala (a prior All Star), Andrew Bogut, David Lee (a prior All Star), Justin Holiday, Shaun Livingston and to an extent Leandro Barbosa are playing substantial minutes off of the bench. The only players not receiving significant playing time are Festus Ezili (because he is injured, otherwise he would be getting minutes at the #5 spot), Brandon Rush and Kuzmic. I understand that Ezili has made good progress in his game since last year. Brandon Rush suffered a severe injury at the start of the 2012-2013 season and missed the year. Last year he came back and played for other teams. This year he signed again with the Warriors and it would not surprise me to learn that he either has fully recovered or is still recovering and has the talent to play well. If this is so, he will likely see some playing time at some point this season and add more depth to the team. Even Kuzmic has shown improvement in his game during the limited action he gets.

Comments have been made that the Warriors bench could win 40-45 games itself as a starting 5 on a different team. No doubt this is true. There is little drop off in the quality of the bench players from the current starters.

The result of such a deep and talented roster is that during the grind of the regular season the playing time can be spread around most if not all of the players on the roster. They can all contribute and play effectively on both offense and defense no matter which 5 players are on the floor. Other teams without such roster depth can not keep up and their starting 5 needs to stay on the floor longer to try to keep the score close.

The Warriors are, both offensively and defensively, wearing other teams down while they stay fresh. Last night was a good example. Cleveland stayed close through the first 3 quarters and into the early part of the 4th quarter. The Warriors then turned on the afterburners. Partway through the 4th quarter Curry and Thompson came back into the game after bench players handled things. The Warriors then ran away from the Cavs through lock down defense and push the ball offense that can score from anywhere.

If this dynamic keeps up through the rest of the regular season (it should barring injuries) and the injured players (Ezili, Bogut, Lee, etc.) make a full recovery, then the wear and tear of a regular season on the starting unit will be much less for the Warriors than for other teams. In addition having most, if not all. of the roster play significant and important minutes with each other will allow the Warriors to enter the playoffs with the ability to send wave after wave after wave of fresh players into each playoff game and series without much drop off in the quality of play. If the Warrior interior players who play the 4 and 5 spots can make it to the playoffs at full strength (unlike last year when Bogut was out with broken ribs) then the team should be able to compete against teams like the Clippers, Memphis, Portland, San Antonio, etc. who have more muscle on their rosters.

I am going to see the Warriors play the Celtics later this month. I am looking forward to seeing them in person.

I suspect that Warriors fans, at this time, are very happy that the team did not trade for Kevin Love. Giving up Thompson and/or Green and/or other players and/or draft picks to acquire Love from Minnesota would not have been worth it (especially since doing so would have given the Warriors Love for only this season since he is an unrestricted free agent next summer). Very glad that the team signed Thompson to a multi year contract.

I wonder what the chances are the this year's roster will be the same next year? It would be nice if it was, but with the success some players are having it would make sense for some players to go elsewhere and get major dollars that the Warriors would not have the cap space to give them.

Go Warriors.
  • Options
    30-5 after beating Utah.
  • Options
    Miami goes down 104-89. Dubs now 31-5 and headed to Oklahoma City. 13-0 against the Eastern Conference and 18-5 against the Western Conference.
  • Options
    To answer the question of will the Warriors bench players leave next season for more money with another team, only time will tell. But that question leads to another question, and that is how did San Antonio manage to hang on to its core players for so many years, when it is not a big market team?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>To answer the question of will the Warriors bench players leave next season for more money with another team, only time will tell. But that question leads to another question, and that is how did San Antonio manage to hang on to its core players for so many years, when it is not a big market team? >>

the Spurs managed to retain a wonderful assemblage of "teammates" always committed to the same concept where no one player is allowed to be the focal point. it seems rare that any of their players would want to go elsewhere, when the team is consistently competitive.

the names of Duncan, Parker & Ginobili will always be remembered as the best of the current Spurs, however, so many other good players have elevated their value simply by being on the same court with them.

find another organization which matches their long term consistency anywhere in professional sports.
  • Options
    The Harlem Globetrotters. image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    HA! image
  • Options
    Dubs lost at Oklahoma City on thursday. Kerr sat Andre and Andrew. Durant, Westbrook and the rest of the Thunder played great and won.

What was interesting was how the Warriors played at Houston last night. No drop off. The Warriors smoked the Rockets by 25 points 131-106. Thompson guarded Hardin and limited him to 12 points. The Warriors led by 5 at the half. They ran away with the game in the 3rd quarter to lead by 22 heading into the 4th. Ended up.leading by 30 or more and won by 25 against a very good Rockets team.

32-6 and counting. 55-60 wins should be a lock for the Warriors this year. Maybe more.
  • Options
    Wow, Dubs up 26 at the half. Going for their 16th straight home win on their annual MLK Birthday matinee game.
  • Options
    Dubs finished of the Nuggets today 122-79. A 43 point win. The reserves played more minutes than the starting five and the lead went from 30 at half time to 43 at the end of the game.

Dubs are now 33-6. In there next 9 games they play 5 above .500 teams (Rockets at home, Chicago at home, Dallas at home, Phoenix at home and Atlanta on the road) and 4 below .500 teams (Sacramento twice at home and on the road, Utah on the road and Boston at home). It would not surprise me to see the Dubs go 7-2 over this stretch.

The season is just about at the half way point and there are many regular season games left to play. It should be interesting to see the Dubs play more games against the better teams in the Western Conference.

The 6 losses suffered by the Dubs so far have been to Phoenix, San Antonio, Memphis, the Lakers, the Clippers and OKC.

So far the Dubs are 3-1 against OKC, 1-1 against the Clippers, 0-1 against the Grizzlies, Suns and Spurs, 3-0 against the Rockets, 2-0 against the Pelicans, 1-0 against the Trail Blazers and 1-0 against the Mavericks. That is a record of 11-5 against the Western Conference teams that are currently in spots #2-10 of the Western Conference playoff race (the Warriors are currently #1, followed by #2 Portland, #3 Memphis, #4 Houston, #5 Dallas, #6 the Clippers, #7 San Antonio, #8 Phoenix, #9 New Orleans and #10 Oklahoma City). Only New Orleans and OKC are at .500 with records of 20-20. All of the other 7 teams holding down spots #2-#7 are above .500.

What will tell whether the Warriors are contenders or pretenders this year will be the remaining games that they play against the Spurs, Mavericks, Suns, Trail Blazers, Grizzlies in the Western Conference plus the games against Hawks, Bulls, Raptors and Wizards in the Eastern Conference.
  • Options
    The games against the sub .500 teams may be a good opportunity to play the starting five limited minutes and get some of the younger guys the playing time they need to grow their games. The NBA season is a pretty grueling one, and this is the first time I can remember the Dubs ever having to ration out minutes.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admittedly, I have not watched a ton of professional hoops this season. That's about to change tonight. I don't have a favorite team, per se, but I always have a leg dangling off the Rockets' wagon, for a fairly translucent reason. From tip to buzzer, I need to see how H-town stacks up against GSW.

I'll give my inexpert analysis tomorrow.
  • Options
    Warriors torched the Rockets tonight 126-113. 20 point halftime lead that increased to 30 points in the third quarter. The Warriors bench played sloppy in the 4th quarter to let Houston trim the lead to 9 before the Warriors pulled away at the end. The Dubs are now 34-6 with the next three games at home.

In the past 50 years only 9 teams have started 34-6. Of these 9 teams 6 went on to win the title. The Warriors are the 10th team to start 34-6.

Definitely a fun team to watch. After the Superbowl is over more attention will be paid to hoops and the Warriors will, if they keep up their current pace, get noticed much more than they have so far.

Go Warriors.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very deceiving 126-113 score last night. Was tied with about 9 mins left in the second quarter, then the Rockets got ambushed. That's to be expected when you don't play a lick of defense and your O is predicated on one guy. Painful basketball to watch.

The Warriors are solid. A dynamic backcourt, to be sure, but that squad is so much more than Curry & Thompson. It's clear that the entire team is buying what Steve Kerr is selling, and it creates a synergistic effect. Their execution last night was pretty scary. A cumulative 50% from the field, 45% from downtown, and those figures include almost an entire quarter's worth of garbage time. Barring injuries, 60 wins is a foregone conclusion.

I will say this, however. As is generally the case, the Western Conference is brutally tough. When the regular season ends and #1-#8 is locked and loaded, there will be no certainties. Can't get here fast enough.