Home Sports Talk
Options

Uehara gets two years, $18 Million to return to Boston

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
this signing perplexes me. Did the Sox think someone else was going to pay him more AND give him two years? He's 39. He ran into a really bad spell toward the end of the year and then was removed from the closer job. This doesn't make business sense, IMO.

Not my money, but that's a roster spot for what will be a 40 year old closer. I hope it turns out that my doubt is unjustified.

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    As long as they don't over-use him next season he should do ok. Riviera did great for the Yankees late in his career. It will give them a chance to get someone else groomed for the job so maybe it will work out. We will see what happens.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Based on recent history it probably is their turn to win:

2012 San Francisco Giants Detroit Tigers 4-0
    2013 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
    2014 San Francisco Giants Kansas City Royals 4-3
    2015 ????????????
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think the Sox would have paid that money unless they feel they have a chance to win it all next year.
    If they were in rebuilding mode, then perhaps they would have let him walk. >>

That was my thought exactly.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    I have no doubt they look at next year as a WIN year. They expected to win in 2013 too. But Uehara is no Rivera (nobody is, obviously). I could see them paying him for a one year contract, but two?

I do hope they get some sense of direction, since sewing all of the 2013 parts back together will only ensure a repeat performance.
  • Options
    ok, seems they are being realistic about Breslow. He had an awful season. Sox declined his option, so no $4 million for him. I was glad to hear that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, according to edmundfitzgerald Uehara is better than Rivera, so I guess he must be worth every cent.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Well, according to edmundfitzgerald Uehara is better than Rivera, so I guess he must be worth every cent. >>

I'd bet Rivera could have thrived in the "old days" of closers (what was that, the 70s and 80s?). He could have run out there for two to three innings at a time with regularity. Like Fingers and Gossage, some of my favorites to watch.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Based on recent history it probably is their turn to win:

2012 San Francisco Giants Detroit Tigers 4-0
    2013 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
    2014 San Francisco Giants Kansas City Royals 4-3
    2015 ???????????? >>

2011 Cardinals
    2013 Cardinals
    2015 Cardinals
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable