Home Sports Talk

College football 2014 - The first year of PLAYOFFS

The other thread is not posting new posts. So let's start fresh. Here's what I tried to post over there....

The first playoff list is out. Obviously a long way to go until the actual games. The first two teams were easy but the next ones could go a number of ways. Biggest surprise to me is ND at 10 being jumped by K-state among others. SEC dominating of course. Actually, I should say SEC West is dominating. They have 3 of the top 4 and 5 out of 25. Amazing. Just the little SEC west. That is utter domination. SEC east only has 1 out of 25. 5 from the Pac 12 as well as the Big 12. 4 from the ACC. 3 from the Big 10. Interesting. I actually thought Wisconsin might break in at the bottom.

RK TEAM RECORD
1 Mississippi State 7-0
2 Florida State 7-0
3 Auburn 6-1
4 Ole Miss 7-1
5 Oregon 7-1
6 Alabama 7-1
7 TCU 6-1
8 Michigan State 7-1
9 Kansas State 6-1
10 Notre Dame 6-1
11 Georgia 6-1
12 Arizona 6-1
13 Baylor 6-1
14 Arizona State 6-1
15 Nebraska 7-1
16 Ohio State 6-1
17 Utah 6-1
18 Oklahoma 5-2
19 LSU 7-2
20 West Virginia 6-2
21 Clemson 6-2
22 UCLA 6-2
23 East Carolina 6-1
24 Duke 6-1
25 Louisville 6-2

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh Arizona, but for a frozen field goal against USC.
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    The Irish ranking made me chuckle, but pretty much used to it. Will be fun watching the remaining few weeks.

5,7,8,9 should all be back a couple notches IMO, but MO doesn't matter lol.

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a pretty accurate list to me although I would have Oregon in my top 4 right now. Wont be the same top four next week because Mississippi and Auburn play this weekend. This system wont be perfect but it will be better than the BCS.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Irish ranking made me chuckle, but pretty much used to it. Will be fun watching the remaining few weeks.

5,7,8,9 should all be back a couple notches IMO, but MO doesn't matter lol. >>

Check TCU out before you say they should be back a couple notches. They have one loss and it was just due to a total meltdown when they gave up a 3 touchdown lead in the 4th. They beat OK State and OK. Plus they put up 82 last Saturday. They have top 20 teams the next two weeks so we shall see....

The Irish can get to the top 4 still. If they win out I think they will be right there. Assuming Florida State is still undefeated and ND's only loss is that loss they'll have a good case.

<< <i>

Check TCU out before you say they should be back a couple notches. >>

I have. I'm down the street from TCU a minimum of 4 nights a week and have seen more than one of their games this year. Additionally, my son is considering attending college there and was at one of their camps this past summer. I don't have any bias against them (as a matter of fact I like the school), just don't think they are all that at football. Just a difference of opinion.

<< <i>

<< <i>The Irish ranking made me chuckle, but pretty much used to it. Will be fun watching the remaining few weeks.

Check TCU out before you say they should be back a couple notches. They have one loss and it was just due to a total meltdown when they gave up a 3 touchdown lead in the 4th. They beat OK State and OK. Plus they put up 82 last Saturday. They have top 20 teams the next two weeks so we shall see....

The Irish can get to the top 4 still. If they win out I think they will be right there. Assuming Florida State is still undefeated and ND's only loss is that loss they'll have a good case. >>

I think both ND and the Big 12 not having a conference championship will hurt them.

Good article on ESPN and how the sec is overrated. There should not be more than one sec team in the playoffs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/the-worldwide-cheerleader-espn-and-the-college-football-playoff-20141028

<< <i>

<< <i>

Check TCU out before you say they should be back a couple notches. >>

I have. I'm down the street from TCU a minimum of 4 nights a week and have seen more than one of their games this year. Additionally, my son is considering attending college there and was at one of their camps this past summer. I don't have any bias against them (as a matter of fact I like the school), just don't think they are all that at football. Just a difference of opinion. >>

Funny. I have only seen bits of a couple games on TV and lots of highlights. image
    I was looking at the Pac 12 south and realized they have 5 pretty decent (not great) teams. I figured Sagarin must have them second. Big gap between SEC west and the Pac 12 south though. Interestingly he has the Big 12 ahead of the SEC east also. Both ACC conferences jumped the big 10 but it's close. Plus the big 10 still has a nice lead on the MWC so I think they are safe as a big 5 this year at least.

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%

1 SEC-WEST (A) = 92.21 91.29 ( 1) 7 91.52 ( 1)
    2 PAC-12(SOUTH) (A) = 81.24 79.83 ( 2) 6 80.45 ( 2)
    3 BIG 12 (A) = 79.20 78.67 ( 3) 10 78.96 ( 3)
    4 SEC-EAST (A) = 78.40 77.96 ( 4) 7 78.26 ( 4)
    5 PAC-12(NORTH) (A) = 75.60 76.37 ( 5) 6 76.07 ( 5)
    6 ACC-COASTAL (A) = 74.69 74.75 ( 7) 7 74.75 ( 6)
    7 ACC-ATLANTIC (A) = 74.37 74.10 ( 9) 7 74.46 ( 8)
    8 BIG TEN-EAST (A) = 74.12 75.04 ( 6) 7 74.62 ( 7)
    9 BIG TEN-WEST (A) = 74.07 74.42 ( 8) 7 74.27 ( 9)
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notre Dame's ranking was a bit of a surprise but actually makes perfect sense. Their wins this year? Blowout wins over Rice, Michigan, and Syracuse - none of whom are any good. An "eh" win over a not-good Purdue team. A 3-point win over an "eh" Stanford team. And a come-from-behind win over a bad North Carolina team - a game where they gave up 43 points. In other words, not a single good win in the bunch. Their best game was a loss.

Bottom line: wins matter. Moral victories don't.

<< <i>

Notre Dame's ranking was a bit of a surprise but actually makes perfect sense. Their wins this year? Blowout wins over Rice, Michigan, and Syracuse - none of whom are any good. An "eh" win over a not-good Purdue team. A 3-point win over an "eh" Stanford team. And a come-from-behind win over a bad North Carolina team - a game where they gave up 43 points. In other words, not a single good win in the bunch. Their best game was a loss.

Bottom line: wins matter. Moral victories don't. >>

Yeah, too bad we haven't played the mighty Cornhuskers like that pantheon of power Michigan St. Would have been the third time this year ND beat the same common opponent by more points just like the two they have already played.

This weekends college football journey led me to College Station, TX to see one of Bama's, Miss St and Miss's "quality win" have to reach into SEC greatness to beat the powerhouse U of Louisiana Monroe. Another 5 point quality win for the mighty SEC

Notre Dame ought to jump at least 3 spots in the rankings regardless if they beat Navy tonight since I'm wearing a jersey that has them and the SEC on the same jersey. That's gotta count for something!

Georgia received a beatdown and TCU lives to fight another day thanks to the ineptness of WV's defense giving up a 40 yd pass play in the waning moments. ugh

<< <i>Georgia received a beatdown and TCU lives to fight another day thanks to the ineptness of WV's defense giving up a 40 yd pass play in the waning moments. ugh >>

Yup. Surprised about UGA. I figured TCU would have a game but not that much of one. A win is a win though.

Good picture of you guys at the game. Looks like fun!

<< <i>

Good picture of you guys at the game. Looks like fun! >>

Thanks my friend. We like to get around during college football season. So far this season, we've been to Notre Dame Stadium (Notre Dame), Kyle Field (Texas A&M), and Bryant Denny (Alabama). Have had a good time at all 3 whether my team wins or loses. Great way to spend some time with loved ones. Gotta do it while I can because much like college football, we never know what tomorrow may bring.

Finally back home now lying on the couch and just tuned into Notre Dame's apparent dogfight with Navy. That team has a knack for giving ND fits with that offense and in our games with them we seem to suffer injuries (not saying Navy plays dirty at all, just a different style of LEGAL blocking than other teams and for some reason our squad usually falls prey to that as far as injury). Don't know yet if they've knocked out any of the ND guys as I just tuned in.

Hopefully they'll (ND) pull one out like TCU did and everyone can question whether they are good or not much like I like to with other teams, LOL. College football is PURE GREATNESS.

image Good luck to all y'alls favorites. I like to talk noise, but at the end of the day, I LOVE the game!

Mike
    And the "top" team in the country comes down to an interception to win the game against a team that has lost 17 (now) consecutive conference games. A season of parity no matter how you prioritize criteria or whom your favorite squad is. Pretty much ANY week, ANY team is susceptible to laying the golden goose egg.

Here's a shot of the "12th Man" from today's game. Sorry Seahawks, develop your own slogan.

And the Fighting Irish come out on top once again. Win by 10. Over 500 yards of offense, and show some class at the end by being at the 19 yard line with about 1 minute left and rather than trying to run up the score in an era where simply winning isn't good enough, they simply took 2 knees and accepted the win.

Good game Navy, beat the heck out of Army.

Lots of good games this weekend. Who will be the top 4 next Tuesday?
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of good games this weekend. Who will be the top 4 next Tuesday? >>

Probably remain unchanged...with a chance of Bama replacing Oregon
    I think they need to get rid of this committee and start over.

<< <i>I think they need to get rid of this committee and start over. >>

Why? What have they done wrong in your opinion at this point? Sort of early after only two weeks to be complaining. There are of lot of good 1 loss teams so hard to say who is better than another. No clear cut mistake from what I can see.

<< <i>

Why? What have they done wrong in your opinion at this point? Sort of early after only two weeks to be complaining. There are of lot of good 1 loss teams so hard to say who is better than another. No clear cut mistake from what I can see. >>

Love the griping in NCAA basketball as 68 teams are not enough to satiate the homers.

4 teams will only make the debate more intense than 2 ever did.

<< <i>

Why? What have they done wrong in your opinion at this point? Sort of early after only two weeks to be complaining. There are of lot of good 1 loss teams so hard to say who is better than another. No clear cut mistake from what I can see. >>

They keep overrating one conference over the other 4 to extreme measures. For example, last week they claimed that there were 3 SEC teams that were better than Oregon, which is just nonsense.

I underatand from che king my phone that Golson SUX today. 3 turnovers leading to 3 quick scores.

Oh well, for this weeks travels Im with my bride in NY with a custom Cake Boss cake of the Statue of Liberty holding a Texas flag at the SOL.

Life is great, even if my team sux. image

Good luck to everyone elses today

<< <i>

Yeah, too bad we haven't played the mighty Cornhuskers like that pantheon of power Michigan St. Would have been the third time this year ND beat the same common pponent by more points just like the two they have already played.
    >>

ASU 31, ND 3 after just 21 minutes. Just sayin'.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yeah, too bad we haven't played the mighty Cornhuskers like that pantheon of power Michigan St. Would have been the third time this year ND beat the same common pponent by more points just like the two they have already played.
    >>

ASU 31, ND 3 after just 21 minutes. Just sayin'. >>

LOL, regardless of how ND does today, doesn't change my mind about that at that point in time. Just sayin'

Will be interesting to see how some of the others fare tonight. AUburn is sure looking like a bastion of SEC power right now against the mighty Aggies who went down to the final possession against ULM last week
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closed to within 3 before wheels fell off..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>Closed to within 3 before wheels fell off.. >>

Hey Grote, don't you live in NYC? If you want to grab pizza 2morrow night with my wife and I, just holler. We have a helicopter flight from 4 to 430 and will be trying tofind some good pizza after that. Pizza's on me if you want to join us

Mike
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

They keep overrating one conference over the other 4 to extreme measures. For example, last week they claimed that there were 3 SEC teams that were better than Oregon, which is just nonsense. >>

Only three? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Gig'em!

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

ASU 31, ND 3 after just 21 minutes. Just sayin'. >>

LOL, regardless of how ND does today, doesn't change my mind about that at that point in time. Just sayin'

Will be interesting to see how some of the others fare tonight. AUburn is sure looking like a bastion of SEC power right now against the mighty Aggies who went down to the final possession against ULM last week >>

A perfect response. Well done, sir.

<< <i>

<< <i>

They keep overrating one conference over the other 4 to extreme measures. For example, last week they claimed that there were 3 SEC teams that were better than Oregon, which is just nonsense. >>

I don't see it as nonsense. It was debatable. The SEC is very good. The SEC west is exceptional.
    My top 6

1. FSU
    2 Miss state
    3. Oregon
    4. Ohio State
    5. Baylor
    6. Arizona state

<< <i>I underatand from che king my phone that Golson SUX today. 3 turnovers leading to 3 quick scores.

Oh well, for this weeks travels Im with my bride in NY with a custom Cake Boss cake of the Statue of Liberty holding a Texas flag at the SOL.

Life is great, even if my team sux. image

Good luck to everyone elses today

image >>

Great picture!!!

<< <i>My top 6

1. FSU
    2 Miss state
    3. Oregon
    4. Ohio State
    5. Baylor
    6. Arizona state >>

It's a reasonable opinion. However, to me ASU is a bad one loss team. Granted the game I watched the most (UCLA) was without their starting QB but they played no defense which had little to do with their QB. I think Washington State will beat them in two weeks. Baylor is another tough one. I think TCU is better than Baylor. Yes, I know Baylor beat TCU but only after a complete melt down by TCU. Ohio State has played one decent team all season so they are tough to say if they are really good or not. When you look at TCU's schedule they have played many highly ranked teams. I am totally unimpressed with FSU. It's all debatable. If I picked 6 I would go:

Alabama
    Oregon
    Miss State
    TCU
    FSU
    Baylor
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in any order but my four as of today would be

Alabama
    Mississippi State
    Florida State
    TCU

Oregon is soooo close

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>

<< <i>My top 6

1. FSU
    2 Miss state
    3. Oregon
    4. Ohio State
    5. Baylor
    6. Arizona state >>

It's a reasonable opinion. However, to me ASU is a bad one loss team. Granted the game I watched the most (UCLA) was without their starting QB but they played no defense which had little to do with their QB. I think Washington State will beat them in two weeks. Baylor is another tough one. I think TCU is better than Baylor. Yes, I know Baylor beat TCU but only after a complete melt down by TCU. Ohio State has played one decent team all season so they are tough to say if they are really good or not. When you look at TCU's schedule they have played many highly ranked teams. I am totally unimpressed with FSU. It's all debatable. If I picked 6 I would go:

Alabama
    Oregon
    Miss State
    TCU
    FSU
    Baylor >>

How can Alabama be number 1 when their only good win was last night and they barely won at that?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Alabama beat Texas A&M 51-0?

I would consider that more than just a moral victory. Winning at LSU is never easy.

Alabama may not be the best team, however, they seem to easily fit into the top four...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>How can Alabama be number 1 when their only good win was last night and they barely won at that? >>

They smoked Texas A&M who was highly ranked at the time. In my opinion they are the best team in the country. Nobody pays me for my opinions on football though.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My top four
    1. Mississippi State
    2. Alabama
    3.Oregon
    4. Florida State
    Those waiting in the wings hoping some of those teams falter are
    5. Baylor
    5A. TCU
    7. Ohio State
    8. Arizona State
    I can see Mississippi State losing a hard fought, well played game at Alabama and remaining in the top four.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Since Notre Dame got "gored" this weekend. (yeah, i know it was by a devil horn and not a bull's horn, but I couldn't find a nice devil's horn to pose with today in NYC, I'll take the following 4 this week:

1) FSU (but only because they are defending champs and I believe the defending champs should get the one ranking until they are knocked off)
    2) Miss St (but their time is coming)
    3) Baylor (fun team to watch that plays about an hour from me, and should be able to take care of business the rest of the way)
    4) Marshall (haven't seen them play, nor do I want to, but would be fun to see them screw a decent team out of getting a shot and afterall everyone else but FSU and Miss St has no one else to blame other than themselves of they don't get in since the others have all laid an unfertilized (is that a word?) egg.

<< <i>Since Notre Dame got "gored" this weekend. (yeah, i know it was by a devil horn and not a bull's horn, but I couldn't find a nice devil's horn to pose with today in NYC, I'll take the following 4 this week:

1) FSU (but only because they are defending champs and I believe the defending champs should get the one ranking until they are knocked off)
    3) Baylor (fun team to watch that plays about an hour from me, and should be able to take care of business the rest of the way)
    4) Marshall (haven't seen them play, nor do I want to, but would be fun to see them screw a decent team out of getting a shot and afterall everyone else but FSU and Miss St has no one else to blame other than themselves of they don't get in since the others have all laid an unfertilized (is that a word?) egg.

>>

Would be awesome for Marshall to get in. They would instantly have a ton of fans. Sort of like Boise State when they got to a New Year's Day game. Remember when Boise State beat Oklahoma with the statue of liberty! Awesome!

<< <i>

<< <i>Since Notre Dame got "gored" this weekend. (yeah, i know it was by a devil horn and not a bull's horn, but I couldn't find a nice devil's horn to pose with today in NYC, I'll take the following 4 this week:

>>

Would be awesome for Marshall to get in. They would instantly have a ton of fans. Sort of like Boise State when they got to a New Year's Day game. Remember when Boise State beat Oklahoma with the statue of liberty! Awesome! >>

Difference is Marshall didn't schedule a worthy non-conference opponent to have a chance to get in the top 10.

<< <i>Difference is Marshall didn't schedule a worthy non-conference opponent to have a chance to get in the top 10. >>

No doubt. I think it's more the fun factor. I personally would be much more excited about an undefeated Marshall than a one loss ASU one loss Baylor.
    Interesting article showing the concentration of college football fans around the country. Not totally shocking the southeast really like college football and we out west (except in Oregon) could care less. Obviously some of us go against trends as I really like it!

NY Times Link

<< <i>Interesting article showing the concentration of college football fans around the country. Not totally shocking the southeast really like college football and we out west (except in Oregon) could care less. Obviously some of us go against trends as I really like it!

NY Times Link >>

Interest is kind of flat in Arizona.
    Latest playoff rankings:

1 Mississippi State 9-0
    2 Oregon 9-1
    3 Florida State 9-0
    4 TCU 8-1
    5 Alabama 8-1
    6 Arizona State 8-1
    7 Baylor 8-1
    8 Ohio State 8-1
    9 Auburn 7-2
    10 Ole Miss 8-2

Surprises?

<< <i>Latest playoff rankings:

1 Mississippi State 9-0
    2 Oregon 9-1
    3 Florida State 9-0
    4 TCU 8-1
    5 Alabama 8-1
    6 Arizona State 8-1
    7 Baylor 8-1
    8 Ohio State 8-1
    9 Auburn 7-2
    10 Ole Miss 8-2

Surprises? >>

Horrible. How in the World can a 1 loss team go ahead of a team that's won 25 straight? Not even the BCS would've done something that ridiculous.

<< <i>

<< <i>Latest playoff rankings:

1 Mississippi State 9-0
    2 Oregon 9-1
    3 Florida State 9-0
    4 TCU 8-1
    5 Alabama 8-1
    6 Arizona State 8-1
    7 Baylor 8-1
    8 Ohio State 8-1
    9 Auburn 7-2
    10 Ole Miss 8-2
    Surprises? >>

Horrible. How in the World can a 1 loss team go ahead of a team that's won 25 straight? Not even the BCS would've done something that ridiculous. >>

They think they are a better team. I am glad they aren't restricted by antiquated analysis. They are looking at who they think are the best teams in the country as of November 11, 2014. That's great. They may or may not be right in their analysis but I like the free thinking. I hope FSU gets jumped right out of the top 4. They play a soft schedule and shouldn't be rewarded. It's all splitting hairs anyway. Any of those 10 teams can beat any other.

<< <i>
    Any of those 10 teams can beat any other. >>

I think if Ohio State plays the other 9 teams on that list, they go 0-9.

Mike

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Any of those 10 teams can beat any other. >>

I think if Ohio State plays the other 9 teams on that list, they go 0-9.

Mike >>

At least 1-8! Anybody can beat anybody!