Home Sports Talk
Options

Denver is on a roll. is Denver the best team this year?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
Denver beat the Bolts 35-21 tonight. The offense is playing as well as last year and the defense is much improved over last year.

What say you?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, yes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I say they would be fourth in the SEC West image

But, yes Peyton is at his apex and so is Denver. They look hard to stop this year.
    Scoreboard Malfunction
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Yes.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    YUP ... but the PERKGIRLS are still #1 to me. image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and they will win the Super Bowl this year...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    The season is long, balls can bounce funny, players can get injured, etc.... I wouldn't call the Super Bowl win complete quite yet.
  • Options
    When it comes to Denver in the Super Bowl my attitude is plan on another loss. That way if they lose I am not disappointed. If the win, life is grand!!!!

Denver could very well have made it to 3 additional Superbowls but they lost in the playoffs (to the Steelers at home in the AFC Championship game in 2005 or 2006; to the Buffalo Bills 10-7 in the AFC Championship game in 1991?; and to Jacksonville in its first game in 1997). If they had made it to the Superbowl those years I suspect that they would have won, at best, only one of them.

Being the glass is half full type, even though Denver is 2-5 in the big game, at least they have played in 7 big games. I bet some other franchises would be very content playing in 7 big games.
  • Options
    Marty Schottenheimer says the Broncos made enough Super Bowls, thank you very much.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When it comes to Denver in the Super Bowl my attitude is plan on another loss. That way if they lose I am not disappointed. If the win, life is grand!!!!

Denver could very well have made it to 3 additional Superbowls but they lost in the playoffs (to the Steelers at home in the AFC Championship game in 2005 or 2006; to the Buffalo Bills 10-7 in the AFC Championship game in 1991?; and to Jacksonville in its first game in 1997). If they had made it to the Superbowl those years I suspect that they would have won, at best, only one of them.

Being the glass is half full type, even though Denver is 2-5 in the big game, at least they have played in 7 big games. I bet some other franchises would be very content playing in 7 big games. >>

Detroit would be thrilled to be 0-1 in the big game. image
  • Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    As of right now the Broncos are the favorites and considered by many to be the best team. However in football there are several occasions where the best team doesn't win in the playoffs. I am sure many of us remember the 2007 Patriots (16-0), the 1998 Minnesota Vikings (15-1), 1983 Washington Redskins (14-2), and 2005 Indianapolis Colts (14-2). All of these teams were considered the best during that year, all were heavy favorites to win the Superbowl, all of them came up short in reaching that goal. That's why the motto in NFL locker rooms is Any Given Sunday.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options

<< <i>As of right now the Broncos are the favorites and considered by many to be the best team. However in football there are several occasions where the best team doesn't win in the playoffs. I am sure many of us remember the 2007 Patriots (16-0), the 1998 Minnesota Vikings (15-1), 1983 Washington Redskins (14-2), and 2005 Indianapolis Colts (14-2). All of these teams were considered the best during that year, all were heavy favorites to win the Superbowl, all of them came up short in reaching that goal. That's why the motto in NFL locker rooms is Any Given Sunday. >>

Of course, upsets can happen in the postseason. But Denver is still the best team in the NFL right now. Their trip to the Super Bowl last season should also help them get over that hump this season, imo.

• Options
    I think we can both agree that being the best team right now is secondary to playing well at the end of the year and entering the playoffs healthy. I think the odds right now for Denver winning the Super bowl are 4 to 1, if they manage to get to the playoffs healthy with a bye in the first round then the odds will be something like 2 1/2 to 1 which translates to 5/2. I think Denver is on course to finish the season about 13-3, they may rest their starters in the last game or something. So they will be the team to beat come playoff time. One key penalty to halt a drive, a tipped ball interception, a dropped pass that would have converted a 3rd down, a key lineman gets hurt on a play, any of these things can change the momentum of a game and force a team to have to play from behind. With a one and done playoff even dominant teams can have trouble advancing if they suffer a bad break. That's why in a best 7 game series like in the NBA, MLB, or NHL it is more likely that the better team advances. In the NFL the better teams have a slight edge but it is really more like a roll of the dice. Let's say that Denver plays the Ravens at home in the playoffs what is the percentage that Denver wins that game, I would say the percentage for Denver winning that game would be around 60/40 that is still a very sizable chance the favorite doesn't get through. Where as in the NBA you have teams like the Spurs or last years Heat where their % is like 75/25. A 75% chance of coming through a series is a whole lot more likely, but for any 1 game in that series it is probably similar to the 60/40 but that is spread over best of 7 so it compounds. Obviously there are upsets in MLB, NHL and the NBA too, but with the NFL upsets are more likely to occur due to the nature of the game and the format of the playoffs.

• Options

<< <i>I think we can both agree that being the best team right now is secondary to playing well at the end of the year and entering the playoffs healthy. I think the odds right now for Denver winning the Super bowl are 4 to 1, if they manage to get to the playoffs healthy with a bye in the first round then the odds will be something like 2 1/2 to 1 which translates to 5/2. I think Denver is on course to finish the season about 13-3, they may rest their starters in the last game or something. So they will be the team to beat come playoff time. One key penalty to halt a drive, a tipped ball interception, a dropped pass that would have converted a 3rd down, a key lineman gets hurt on a play, any of these things can change the momentum of a game and force a team to have to play from behind. With a one and done playoff even dominant teams can have trouble advancing if they suffer a bad break. That's why in a best 7 game series like in the NBA, MLB, or NHL it is more likely that the better team advances. In the NFL the better teams have a slight edge but it is really more like a roll of the dice. Let's say that Denver plays the Ravens at home in the playoffs what is the percentage that Denver wins that game, I would say the percentage for Denver winning that game would be around 60/40 that is still a very sizable chance the favorite doesn't get through. Where as in the NBA you have teams like the Spurs or last years Heat where their % is like 75/25. A 75% chance of coming through a series is a whole lot more likely, but for any 1 game in that series it is probably similar to the 60/40 but that is spread over best of 7 so it compounds. Obviously there are upsets in MLB, NHL and the NBA too, but with the NFL upsets are more likely to occur due to the nature of the game and the format of the playoffs. >>

Yes, all of that is possible. ANYTHING is possible, but my point is in answer to the question posed by the OP in that Denver is the best team in the NFL right now. Of course, that may very well change between now and January (or February). That's why the games are played. Of course, Denver may lose in the first round. They may also win the Super Bowl. There are so many variables between now and the Super Bowl, that putting a % of possibility on anything is essentially nothing more than an exercise in sheer speculation.

I would also disagree with the notion that the better team in the regular season has a better chance to prevail in a playoff series vs an NFL playoff game. The current World Series features two wildcard teams, with all the teams with the best records having been eliminated early, and plenty of lower seeds advance during the NHL postseason, as teams start playing well beore getting into the playoffs and a hot goaltender can take an otherwise mediocre team deep into the playoffs.

• Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    As a Chiefs fan, Denver is always the team to beat. But in the NFL right now, I think Denver is the man so to speak.

I would give some kudos to Dallas, but with Romo, you never know.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think we can both agree that being the best team right now is secondary to playing well at the end of the year and entering the playoffs healthy. I think the odds right now for Denver winning the Super bowl are 4 to 1, if they manage to get to the playoffs healthy with a bye in the first round then the odds will be something like 2 1/2 to 1 which translates to 5/2. I think Denver is on course to finish the season about 13-3, they may rest their starters in the last game or something. So they will be the team to beat come playoff time. One key penalty to halt a drive, a tipped ball interception, a dropped pass that would have converted a 3rd down, a key lineman gets hurt on a play, any of these things can change the momentum of a game and force a team to have to play from behind. With a one and done playoff even dominant teams can have trouble advancing if they suffer a bad break. That's why in a best 7 game series like in the NBA, MLB, or NHL it is more likely that the better team advances. In the NFL the better teams have a slight edge but it is really more like a roll of the dice. Let's say that Denver plays the Ravens at home in the playoffs what is the percentage that Denver wins that game, I would say the percentage for Denver winning that game would be around 60/40 that is still a very sizable chance the favorite doesn't get through. Where as in the NBA you have teams like the Spurs or last years Heat where their % is like 75/25. A 75% chance of coming through a series is a whole lot more likely, but for any 1 game in that series it is probably similar to the 60/40 but that is spread over best of 7 so it compounds. Obviously there are upsets in MLB, NHL and the NBA too, but with the NFL upsets are more likely to occur due to the nature of the game and the format of the playoffs. >>

Yes, all of that is possible. ANYTHING is possible, but my point is in answer to the question posed by the OP in that Denver is the best team in the NFL right now. Of course, that may very well change between now and January (or February). That's why the games are played. Of course, Denver may lose in the first round. They may also win the Super Bowl. There are so many variables between now and the Super Bowl, that putting a % of possibility on anything is essentially nothing more than an exercise in sheer speculation.

I would also disagree with the notion that the better team in the regular season has a better chance to prevail in a playoff series vs an NFL playoff game. The current World Series features two wildcard teams, with all the teams with the best records having been eliminated early, and plenty of lower seeds advance during the NHL postseason, as teams start playing well before getting into the playoffs and a hot goaltender can take an otherwise mediocre team deep into the playoffs. >>

grote15, you think better teams are less likely to win a 7 game series than a 1 game playoff? I think if you thought about this you would come to a different conclusion. Plus if you read the original post you will see that there was no mention of a team with a better regular season record. The better team is usually defined as the betting favorite at the time of the contest. There are several cases where the better team will lose players to injury for part of the season or play in a tough division/conference but are widely considered the better team in the eyes of most experts. I think disagreement can make for a more lively discussion, but I would appreciate it if you could refrain from the ANYTHING is possible statement because that doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would also disagree with the notion that the better team in the regular season has a better chance to prevail in a playoff series vs an NFL playoff game. The current World Series features two wildcard teams, with all the teams with the best records having been eliminated early, and plenty of lower seeds advance during the NHL postseason, as teams start playing well before getting into the playoffs and a hot goaltender can take an otherwise mediocre team deep into the playoffs. >>

grote15, you think better teams are less likely to win a 7 game series than a 1 game playoff? I think if you thought about this you would come to a different conclusion. Plus if you read the original post you will see that there was no mention of a team with a better regular season record. The better team is usually defined as the betting favorite at the time of the contest. There are several cases where the better team will lose players to injury for part of the season or play in a tough division/conference but are widely considered the better team in the eyes of most experts. I think disagreement can make for a more lively discussion, but I would appreciate it if you could refrain from the ANYTHING is possible statement because that doesn't really add anything to the conversation. >>

Both the Royals and Giants opened their respective previous playoff series as betting underdogs and were not considered the better team or the favorite to make it to the World Series when the postseason began. Neither was considered better than the opponents they beat to reach this point. In fact, the Royals have been likened to a Cinderella team as they are playing much better in the postseason than even their most avid fans could have ever expected.

My point that anything can happen was in response to your initial post which was filled with suppositions and speculations to begin with~any one of which obviously can affect the outcome of a game ("One key penalty to halt a drive, a tipped ball interception, a dropped pass that would have converted a 3rd down, a key lineman gets hurt on a play, any of these things can change the momentum of a game and force a team to have to play from behind.") should they occur~of course, if a scenario like Manning getting hurt and missing the remainder of the season comes to fruition, that is going to affect the Broncos chances at winning a Super Bowl, too.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

grote15, you think better teams are less likely to win a 7 game series than a 1 game playoff? I think if you thought about this you would come to a different conclusion. Plus if you read the original post you will see that there was no mention of a team with a better regular season record. The better team is usually defined as the betting favorite at the time of the contest. There are several cases where the better team will lose players to injury for part of the season or play in a tough division/conference but are widely considered the better team in the eyes of most experts. I think disagreement can make for a more lively discussion, but I would appreciate it if you could refrain from the ANYTHING is possible statement because that doesn't really add anything to the conversation. >>

Both the Royals and Giants opened their respective previous playoff series as betting underdogs and were not considered the better team or the favorite to make it to the World Series when the postseason began. Neither was considered better than the opponents they beat to reach this point. In fact, the Royals have been likened to a Cinderella team as they are playing much better in the postseason than even their most avid fans could have ever expected.

My point that anything can happen was in response to your initial post which was filled with suppositions and speculations to begin with~any one of which obviously can affect the outcome of a game ("One key penalty to halt a drive, a tipped ball interception, a dropped pass that would have converted a 3rd down, a key lineman gets hurt on a play, any of these things can change the momentum of a game and force a team to have to play from behind.") should they occur~of course, if a scenario like Manning getting hurt and missing the remainder of the season comes to fruition, that is going to affect the Broncos chances at winning a Super Bowl, too. >>

Citing the Royals and Giants this year is like pointing out the exception that proves the rule, any math professor can write a proof that a better team over a 7 game series has a better chance of winning than in a 1 game playoff. Your comment that this is all supposition or speculation completely misses this point. This isn't even really a debate, your sample size is way too small. Take a larger sample like all the playoffs that have been played over the last 40 years and you will find that every single sport where its a best of 7 series the favorite has won more then in a 1 game playoff such as in the NFL. The same is true for college football and the NCAA March Madness tournament, if they played a longer series the betting favorite would win more often. Obviously you can't play a long series in football because everyone would wind up in the hospital. My post was pointing out that variables in the course of a game prove more costly in a one game playoff format vs. a 7 game series, but you misinterpreted that as being supposition. In a 7 game series you can have 1 or 2 bad games and still come through the series unscathed, but in a 1 game playoff these bad plays obviously prove more costly. We should probably both just agree to disagree.

• Options
    Tenniscoach, do you have any actual data or evidence to support your assertion that the better team has a better chance to win in a 7-game series than in a single playoff game? Other than the your meaningless math professor supposition, I mean. I've already provided two examples in the World Series going on right now, and while that is obviously a small sample size, I see no actual data to support your claims to the contrary, either, just opinion and speculation.

• Options
    BTW, the Los Angeles Kings, the reigning Stanley Cup Champions, were the #6 seed entering the playoffs last year and barely made the postseason, another example of an underdog winning a championship after persevering not just 1, or 2, but four 7-game playoff series, all of which were against teams that were supposedly "better" than them. In fact, they were down 3 games to none in the first round vs a supposedly superior Sharks team before rallying for 4 straight victories to win the series.

Edit to add: My examples above are not necessarily intended to imply that favored teams have a tougher time in a 7-game playoff season vs a single game elimination playoff, but to illustrate that in postseason sports there are obviously many different factors in play, and that while the better team has a statistically better chance at prevailing whether it's an NFL single game playoff or a playoff series, there are no guarantees in either format.

• Options
    That's why we love sports, it's the best live action drama on television. It sounded earlier that you were advocating that favored teams had a tougher time in a 7 game series than in a single game elimination. Your right that the LA Kings were underdogs in that 7 game series against the Sharks but the margin was actually quite small. The moneyline for that series had the Kings +120 for the series against the Sharks which means the oddsmakers knew that the teams were more equally matched than their records would indicate. Also the Kings became the betting favorite during games 6 and 7 as the games unfolded. But like you stated when that series started the Sharks were viewed as the better team and especially so after that game 1 route which I think the Sharks scored like 7 goals.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Denver is on a roll. is Denver the best team this year?

what about Seattle, this is what fans were saying about them a few weeks ago, remember?? heck, they were ready to fit them for the crown!! although Denver is a solid Team and playing well, they are fragile and one play away from down and out for the year. look at what happened to the Cowboys: everyone was gushing about them and now the season is in doubt if Romo goes out for any stretch. I'm a Browns fan, so don't hold your breath with Weedon at the helm. he will make poor choices and once the passing game has a huge hole in it the rushing game will suffer and the 100 yard days will be a memory.

all that is a big IF Romo goes down. if the Glory Boy goes down in Denver(also has a history of back/neck problems) the season will be lost.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely think that the better (at the time) team has a better chance winning a 7 game series than a 1 game playoff. That just makes since. You can have a bad game and recover in a 7 game series, but in a 1 game.....you are done.

There are so many things that can change as grote15 pointed out. But I would say right now Denver is the best team with New England right there with them.

I thought Dallas was maybe the best in the NFC, but Monday they looked like crap and lost to a very bad team with a 3rd string QB. I really don't want to have to play Denver or NE in the SB with our secondary. We would be lit up like a Christmas tree.
  • Options
    I still dont want to face Denver in the playoffs, if these two teams square off again I will still be worried.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still dont want to face Denver in the playoffs, if these two teams square off again I will still be worried. >>

if the game is played in Foxboro, the result is the same.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I still dont want to face Denver in the playoffs, if these two teams square off again I will still be worried. >>

if the game is played in Foxboro, the result is the same. >>

I hope your right!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

if the game is played in Foxboro, the result is the same. >>

I agree with this. Not sold on Denver's defense even though revamped. I believe the Steelers are becoming a threat in the AFC. Don't sleep on them.
  • Options
    Denver wins the AFC West today. The Broncos are playing well at this time. Stellar defense. They should finish 13-3 or 12-4 with first round bye.

Go Denver
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Right now the path to the superbowl has to go through Foxboro guys and I like the team that happens to reside there.
  • Options
    True dat. NE is #1. That may change in the next 2 weeks. Right now I am pleased my favorite team won their division aand secured a playoff berth.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess, DEN - SEA, Round 2, this time in the desert.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess, DEN - SEA, Round 2, this time in the desert.

Dave >>

manning has a wet noodle for an arm he can't get it done , Elway will have to come off the bench to get them into the superbowlimage
  • Options

<< <i>

Dave >>

manning has a wet noodle for an arm he can't get it done , Elway will have to come off the bench to get them into the superbowlimage >>

Elway? His reputation is cemented as the ultimate Super Bowl choke artist had not TD come to town..

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dave >>

manning has a wet noodle for an arm he can't get it done , Elway will have to come off the bench to get them into the superbowlimage >>

Elway? His reputation is cemented as the ultimate Super Bowl choke artist had not TD come to town.. >>

I said "get into" I didn't say win image
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dave >>

Elway? His reputation is cemented as the ultimate Super Bowl choke artist had not TD come to town.. >>

Well there also was Jim Kelly (Buff. Bills) and in the 70's Fran Tarkenton 0-3 in Super Bowls.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Denver beat the Bolts 35-21 tonight. The offense is playing as well as last year and the defense is much improved over last year.

What say you? >>

The best team in the NFL won on Sunday night football tonight and handled a great defense while having 2 offensive lineman missing, and still managed 500+ yards against them.

But, then again, Seattle doesn't have an offense that can score points.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    596 yards....whoa!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    The Seahawks are pulling it all together at just the right time. They rightly should be favored to repeat. Quite a performance against Arizona tonight.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Broncos decided to take the drama out who the number 1 seed would be a week early.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    It sure was raining on Manning's parade tonight.
  • Options
    Denver lost a tight game tonight. Too many mistakes and Manning threw a late pick to deny Denver a chance to win the game. Manning plays great in the regular season but has shown less than stellar performances in the post season. Maybe he is getting a head start this year. Next up the Raiders. That game is never a lock for Denver.
  • Options

I think Denver needs to get Jay cutler or tim tebow back if they want to go far in the playoffs.

Seriously though Manning is terrible stick a fork in him he is done . No more Peyton Manning in Denver next year is the key to a bright future

What are the odds denver loses to the raiders next week and loses a first round bye ?
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that the thigh bruise is pretty severe and may explain some un-Peyton like plays.

But.........Cincy played very well too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Denver is much better at home and should do very well until they have a road game.
    Capecards
  • Options
    My favorite team finished the regular season with a drubbing of the Raiders. 2-0 against the Raiders this year. That always is a treat for Denver fans.

On to the playoffs. Hopefully Denver will play well and get a chance to redeem it self from last year's loss to Seattle in the title game. If Denver does return to the Superbowl this year it had better rely on more than the passing game if it hopes to win.
  • Options

<< <i>My favorite team finished the regular season with a drubbing of the Raiders. 2-0 against the Raiders this year. That always is a treat for Denver fans.

On to the playoffs. Hopefully Denver will play well and get a chance to redeem it self from last year's loss to Seattle in the title game. If Denver does return to the Superbowl this year it had better rely on more than the passing game if it hopes to win. >>

C.J. Anderson does provide a dimension they did not have last year.

• Options
    Maybe C. J. Anderson and Manning will provide a sequel to the 1998 Terrell Davis and John Elway Super Bowl win against the Packers.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    They did finish with an impressive showing.

Granted it was the Raiders but putting up 40+ points against any team is always good for the confidence dept.