Home Sports Talk

2014 Game 1 World Series ratings

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
The lowest Game 1 ratings ever for the W.S. Beat the previous Game 1 low for the 2012 W.S. Whats wrong?
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless its my team playing, I usually don't watch the WS until about game 5 or 6.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Action is way too slow for anyone that grew up with a computer.

I skipped game one and watched about 15 minutes of game 2.

Still a wonderful, classic event but one must reset the brain to slow motion to really enjoy it.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Nothing there for us east coast guys.
    Capecards
  • kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    It just shows there are fewer baseball fans than in the past. There are still many fans of teams, but it takes a fan of baseball to watch a game when their team isn't playing.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

<< <i>It just shows there are fewer baseball fans than in the past. There are still many fans of teams, but it takes a fan of baseball to watch a game when their team isn't playing. >>

How true. Until the late 1980's, I watched every minute of every WS game, at least after they switched to night games. Had a small transistor radio wired to my clothes so that I could listen to the day games of the 1960's while in school. Teacher caught me during the Detroit/St Louis 1968 series and asked me to keep the class updated.

The World Series was a national event that virtually every sports fan followed intently.

Things have changed.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It just shows there are fewer baseball fans than in the past. >>

Attendance-wise, the last 10 seasons have been the 10-best attended seasons in MLB history.

<< <i>

Attendance-wise, the last 10 seasons have been the 10-best attended seasons in MLB history. >>

Wonder how much of that is actual attendance vs unused corporate seats.

Average WS viewership was 40,000,000 from 1978-80. Ratings on game one of 2014 was 12,000,000. Lots of drop off and consider the jump in US population in that time, probably 20%

Amazing that only one in 25 Americans is tuning in to the Fall classic.
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Attendance-wise, the last 10 seasons have been the 10-best attended seasons in MLB history. >>

Wonder how much of that is actual attendance vs unused corporate seats.

Average WS viewership was 40,000,000 from 1978-80. Ratings on game one of 2014 was 12,000,000. Lots of drop off and consider the jump in US population in that time, probably 20%

Amazing that only one in 25 Americans is tuning in to the Fall classic. >>

So more people are watching the Walking Dead than the World series.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    MLB simply does not understand that the beautiful sport of baseball is not one for the bars and television sets, but one for the baseball fields and radio. It is not about revenue. It is about constantly building a fan base. Marvel declared bankruptcy because they failed to realize this. Hollywood saved the Marvel comic book industry. Yesterday's World Series game should have been a day game. Students should be listening to the game on their radios in the back of the classroom, and teachers should have been asking for an occasional update. As a matter of fact, teachers should have been playing the game on the radio while the students worked on an assignment. These are the simple pleasures that we have lost in America. These are the memories that today's students have unfortunately been robbed of.

In spite of all of this, I honestly believe that this year's World Series is the best thing that has happened to MLB for a very long time. More baseball fans will be attending baseball games next year as a result of it.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Let's talk about more important things, like what's up with Renee Zellweger's new face?
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Attendance wise, the last 10 seasons have been the 10-best attended seasons in MLB history. >>

Yes thats true. But it's the TV audience that drives the revenue stream. Higher viewership equals higher ratings which in turn allows the networks to charge more for advertising. This equals more dollars for the networks to offer more to MLB to carry the games. That is where the players get much of their million dollar paychecks from. As far as on site attendance goes that figure of a sellout is easier to achieve due to many stadiums being of a smaller capacity. Personally since they are the last BB games for 4 months or so I will usually watch most of them.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's talk about more important things, like what's up with Renee Zellweger's new face? >>

Did'nt even recognize her. Prefer her old face.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's talk about more important things, like what's up with Renee Zellweger's new face? >>

I had no idea. Who would?

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    This has been a great series, full of drama and momentum swings. If you haven't been watching, you must have your head up your MadBum. image