Home Sports Talk

Anybody see this?

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
You guys gotta see the video, I dont know how to post videos but this is straight up nasty, this kid ran on the field and the strength and conditioning coach BURIES him, then the kid loses his scholorship. Talk about overeacting, I mean in todays hyper sensitive society I dont know how this guy didnt get charged for excessive force.

Below is the story, Im sure you guys can find the video, personally I think the guy went overboard.

"The Ohio State fan who ran on the field during Saturday's game against Cincinnati has lost his scholarship, the Associated Press reports.

Anthony Wunder, 21, was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespassing and pleaded not guilty in court. His attorney said the school is removing him from the Evans Scholars program, which gives scholarships to former golf caddies, because of the criminal charges. Wunder is a fourth-year engineering student at Ohio State.

Wunder was body-slammed by Ohio State strength and conditioning coach Anthony Schlegel, who played linebacker for the Buckeyes in 2004 and 2005."

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

Agree with the slam and yanking the scholarship.

Scholarship is a privilege, not an entitlement.

Sadly in a world or nuts and terrorists, every jerk that runs onto a field should be considered a threat.

Text[/L]
    New vid. better angle
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Video

Sadly in a world or nuts and terrorists, every jerk that runs onto a field should be considered a threat. >>

Good points, I just wonder what would have happened if he seriously injured the kid. I mean he got lit up big time, Im shocked he didnt get hurt, after he got dragged to the sideline then he gets thrown to the ground for good measure .

• arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>

<< <i>Video

Sadly in a world or nuts and terrorists, every jerk that runs onto a field should be considered a threat. >>

Good points, I just wonder what would have happened if he seriously injured the kid. I mean he got lit up big time, Im shocked he didnt get hurt, after he got dragged to the sideline then he gets thrown to the ground for good measure . >>

Looked like that coach has wrestled before because he hit that kid with a Lat Drop type move. That crap can hurt on a mat much less on turf. Good for the coach for dropping him.

I dont know about pulling his scholarship. Seems a little excessive. Tons of community service? No problem. If he doesnt then sure pull it. But to just up and pull it, im not so keen on that idea.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Coach got a bit carried away, IMO. I think he thought he was playing linebacker again. Not saying what the kid did was okay, but isn't that why stadiums hire security? If I was Urban Meyer I would be having a word with my coach.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭
    Considering he was on an academic scholarship (you know the kind that only the very best and very brightest should get?) and did one of the most STUPID things possible maybe yanking his scholarship does make sense...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this kid was not white it would be front page news everywhere and Al Sharpton would be leading the charge.

<< <i>If this kid was not white it would be front page news everywhere and Al Sharpton would be leading the charge. >>

Totally agree!
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If this kid was not white it would be front page news everywhere and Al Sharpton would be leading the charge. >>

Totally agree! >>

+1

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    are you guys seriously that racist? Completely inappropriate comments.
    Agree that it is not pertinent to the discussion.

I will give it a plus 2 though.
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    I imagine the threat of pulling the scholarship is a pre-emptive move to try and head off any potential lawsuit against the coach.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Video is unavailable to me, but anyone who runs out on the field should assume the consequences including possible bodily harm.

Best thing I ever saw regarding this was Mike Curtis crushing some moron fan who came out on field.

STAY OFF THE FIELD MORON!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coach is a dbag . Real tough guy slamming a scrawny little dude with no warning . The kid was drunk or something but big deal, was anyone in any danger?

Nope just some washed up old jock trying to be a hero on TV. Fire the stupid meathead for opening the school to a potential million dollar lawsuit.

<< <i>The coach is a dbag . Real tough guy slamming a scrawny little dude with no warning . The kid was drunk or something but big deal, was anyone in any danger?

Nope just some washed up old jock trying to be a hero on TV. Fire the stupid meathead for opening the school to a potential million dollar lawsuit. >>

Totally agree

<< <i>Video is unavailable to me, but anyone who runs out on the field should assume the consequences including possible bodily harm.

Best thing I ever saw regarding this was Mike Curtis crushing some moron fan who came out on field.

STAY OFF THE FIELD MORON! >>

Funny thing is Mike Curtis was gentile compared to this juiced up strength and conditioning coach
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The coach is a dbag . Real tough guy slamming a scrawny little dude with no warning . The kid was drunk or something but big deal, was anyone in any danger?

Nope just some washed up old jock trying to be a hero on TV. Fire the stupid meathead for opening the school to a potential million dollar lawsuit. >>

You don't know if anybody was in danger or not. Guy runs on the field, you have to assume the worst lest you end up with a Monica Seles-type deal.

And lawsuit? There is absolutely no liability here for the school or the coach. It's well-established law that such takedowns are perfectly legal. They're considered self-defense.

<< <i>

You don't know if anybody was in danger or not. Guy runs on the field, you have to assume the worst lest you end up with a Monica Seles-type deal.

And lawsuit? There is absolutely no liability here for the school or the coach. It's well-established law that such takedowns are perfectly legal. They're considered self-defense. >>

BS on that ,
    watch the video then come back here and say the same thing. If that was your son you would be hiring a lawyer and sharpening the ax
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    coach = roid rage.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Totally agree >>

Me three. Coach should have been fired no later than the next day. Clearly excessive force IMO. No self defense at all, and the extra push at the end, real tough guy that coach is, LOL.

I don't have a problem at all with the group awarding the scholarship, subsequently yanking the scholarship if the stupid kid violated any behavioral terms he agreed to when accepting the scholarship.

Hopefully if he's "hurt", state law will allow him to get damages from the coach personally AND from the school.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    It is only a matter of time before the lawyers get involved.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

<< <i>

<< <i>

And lawsuit? There is absolutely no liability here for the school or the coach. It's well-established law that such takedowns are perfectly legal. They're considered self-defense. >>

BS on that ,
    watch the video then come back here and say the same thing. If that was your son you would be hiring a lawyer and sharpening the ax >>

It is always easy to assess risk after the fact. If it were 1964, I would agree that the force was excessive. In 2014 the potential risk is worthy of drastic, non lethal action.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>are you guys seriously that racist? Completely inappropriate comments. >>

Agree.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The first time I saw something like this was about 40 years ago. Some guy ran on to the field during a Colts game, and Mike Curtis decked him. It was really funny.

Sorry-already posted. I googled it-it was in 1971 and is available on You Tube.
    I recall this story from 2002. Best to stop the aggressors in their tracks.

"""Two fans jumped out of the stands and attacked a coach, Tom Gamboa, for the Kansas City Royals, while they were playing at Comiskey Park in Chicago. the two fans, who were father and son, will be charged separately for the attack.

Gamboa, who was coaching first base, was bruised and suffered a cut to the head, but was otherwise unhurt. Moments after the attack began the entire bench for the Royals emptied as players came to the coach's aid.

Both of the attackers where taken out in handcuffs within moments. The father is charged with aggravated assault, which is a felony and the son will be charged as a juvenile.""
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    remember the good old days when we would talk about sports? Player A vs Player B, HOF or not, cool play by LeBron (I hate LeBron), who will win the WS, etc.... I miss those days.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Barn Dog, who do you think will win the World Series this year?
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

<< <i>remember the good old days when we would talk about sports? Player A vs Player B, HOF or not, cool play by LeBron (I hate LeBron), who will win the WS, etc.... I miss those days. >>

Sure....stuff like will Todd Gurley win the Heisman?

oops.

<< <i>

<< <i>remember the good old days when we would talk about sports? Player A vs Player B, HOF or not, cool play by LeBron (I hate LeBron), who will win the WS, etc.... I miss those days. >>

Sure....stuff like will Todd Gurley win the Heisman?

oops. >>

Heisman voters used to have the word "integrity" in their mission statement, no?

<< <i>I recall this story from 2002. Best to stop the aggressors in their tracks.

"""Two fans jumped out of the stands and attacked a coach, Tom Gamboa, for the Kansas City Royals, while they were playing at Comiskey Park in Chicago. the two fans, who were father and son, will be charged separately for the attack.

Gamboa, who was coaching first base, was bruised and suffered a cut to the head, but was otherwise unhurt. Moments after the attack began the entire bench for the Royals emptied as players came to the coach's aid.

Both of the attackers where taken out in handcuffs within moments. The father is charged with aggravated assault, which is a felony and the son will be charged as a juvenile."" >>

I remember that, funny that you use it to compare it to this scene image This is a tale of a drunk 140 llb kid running onto the field with no weapons showing, not directed towards anyone except being a drunk kid and he got taken out brutally by a 240 llb roid raged coach, dragged off the field and launched onto the ground for good measure on the sidelines.

And for you guys who comment about the earlier comment being racist? Your straight out of your mind if you think its inappropriate and racist, you guys need to open your eyes, rub the sleepy salts out of them and read current events. GIMME A FREAKING BREAK
    """I remember that, funny that you use it to compare it to this scene This is a tale of a drunk 140 llb kid running onto the field with no weapons showing, not directed towards anyone except being a drunk kid and he got taken out brutally by a 240 llb roid raged coach, dragged off the field and launched onto the ground for good measure on the sidelines."""

Sure, Perkdog. It was easy to assess all of that in the 3 seconds before the coach slammed him to the turf.

The sideline launch was idiotic. The initial takedown was not.

Kid wanted to get S-faced drunk, fine. let him do it at home. When you become a threat, prepare for the worst.

<< <i>"""I remember that, funny that you use it to compare it to this scene This is a tale of a drunk 140 llb kid running onto the field with no weapons showing, not directed towards anyone except being a drunk kid and he got taken out brutally by a 240 llb roid raged coach, dragged off the field and launched onto the ground for good measure on the sidelines."""

Sure, Perkdog. It was easy to assess all of that in the 3 seconds before the coach slammed him to the turf.

The sideline launch was idiotic. The initial takedown was not.

Kid wanted to get S-faced drunk, fine. let him do it at home. When you become a threat, prepare for the worst. >>

Im 100% fine with brutal force, treating violence with a higher level of violence is something I am in complete agreement with. In fact I think people respond to 3 things best- Pain, Fear and intimidation.

I just dont see how this kid was a threat, I really dont. If he had a backpack on or a black object in his hand or something then do what you gotta do, in this thread people talk about the Mike Curtis hit on the fan and again that is no comparison, Curtis closelined the guy and that was that, this guy had the kid under control and smashed him to the ground needlessly, I mean what was the purpose of slamming him to the ground after he had the kid in his grasp? Was he going to apply handcuffs? If he was chasing a felon then sure but this was a drunk kid with no mission except to be an idiot running on the field, once he had him wrapped up all he had to do was drag him to the sideline and hand him off to the police.

<< <i> If he was chasing a felon then sure but this was a drunk kid with no mission except to be an idiot running on the field, once he had him wrapped up all he had to do was drag him to the sideline and hand him off to the police. >>

Perk, do you remember Barry Bremen? He was the great impersonator that got himself onto many fields of play.

Guy was also a sales rep in Michigan the same time that I was. He was an arrogant and not really liable fella. I was not a friend, but crossed his path many times.

When asked why he quit his on field antics several years ago, he responded "ever hear of a taser"?

He was bright enough to recognize that trespassing was no longer a game and law enforcement took this stuff seriously.

You are asking a strength coach, most likely not trained in law enforcement to quickly evaluate a potential threat, realize that it is benign and handle him relatively gently as he is only an inebriated college kid.

His instincts though were to protect his team from potential harm in case the jerk had a knife or a Kel-Tec 380 under his shirt.

Good for him....he can coach my local team any time that he wants to.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You are asking a strength coach, most likely not trained in law enforcement to quickly evaluate a potential threat, realize that it is benign and handle him relatively gently as he is only an inebriated college kid.

His instincts though were to protect his team from potential harm in case the jerk had a knife or a Kel-Tec 380 under his shirt.

>>

The guy is slammed to the ground, put on his feet, and held onto as he's walked off the field. What would have been different if he had ONLY been grabbed and walked off the field? Nothing, other than a possible injury. Slamming him to the ground would not have made a knife or gun disappear, and they did not search him when he was up on his feet. So, slamming him to the ground served no purpose.

<< <i>So, slamming him to the ground served no purpose. >>

Seemed to take the wind out of him and make for an easier collar.

Interesting side note. The linked video is down with Youtube noting that the poster has closed his account.
    Found this clip from a different angle. This putz ran on the field during a play. Didn't realize that before. Strength coach was way too kind. Nothing wrong with dropping him.

Frankly, some of you fellas are getting a limpy around here.

Text
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found this clip from a different angle. This putz ran on the field during a play. Didn't realize that before. Strength coach was way too kind. Nothing wrong with dropping him.

Frankly, some of you fellas are getting a limpy around here.

Text >>

image Quit saying strength coach like its a thing.

His real job is showing student athletes how to use steroids. Where the needle goes in , where the cream gets rubbed in etc. etc.

20 years ago he probably had a cup of coffee with some NFL and this was him reliving his glory days , think Al Bundy and his 4 touchdown game at polk high.

<< <i>20 years ago he probably had a cup of coffee with some NFL and this was him reliving his glory days , think Al Bundy and his 4 touchdown game at polk high. >>

Yeah but Bundy scored against Spare Tire Dixon, AKA Bubba Smith. image
    the Polk High Panthers kicked ass!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? You guys think this was excessive? "Roid rage"? Really? LMAO.
    The guy gave him a simple hip toss and then gave him one final shove off the field. He wasn't hurt in the slightest.
    In fact you can clearly see that the kid was laughing and grinning the whole time, one more sign of having zero respect.
    I'm glad he got his scholarship pulled. Good object lesson for the other drunk frat boys out there who are thinking of getting their 15 seconds of fame.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

<< <i>Really? You guys think this was excessive? "Roid rage"? Really? LMAO.
    The guy gave him a simple hip toss and then gave him one final shove off the field. He wasn't hurt in the slightest.
    In fact you can clearly see that the kid was laughing and grinning the whole time, one more sign of having zero respect.
    I'm glad he got his scholarship pulled. Good object lesson for the other drunk frat boys out there who are thinking of getting their 15 seconds of fame. >>

And I'm sure you would be saying the same thing if it was your son

<< <i>And I'm sure you would be saying the same thing if it was your son >>

The kids father should be shaking the coaches hand.

Kid was drunk and dumb enough to run on the field during an active play. He could have truly been hammered by a bunch of athletes.

Same kid is clearly stupid enough to get into a car drunk and take out a family on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner. Then the father would have a real problem on his hands.

<< <i>

Kid was drunk and dumb enough to run on the field during an active play. He could have truly been hammered by a bunch of athletes.

Same kid is clearly stupid enough to get into a car drunk and take out a family on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner. Then the father would have a real problem on his hands. >>

image OK
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Same kid is clearly stupid enough to get into a car drunk and take out a family on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner. Then the father would have a real problem on his hands. >>

That's quite a leap there from stupid prank at a fooptball game to murder, don't you think? You never did something foolish or embarrassing while drunk? You must be perfect.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>That's quite a leap there from stupid prank at a fooptball game to murder, don't you think? You never did something foolish or embarrassing while drunk? You must be perfect. >>

What that kid did was a far cry from foolish or embarrassing. Running on the field during an active play could have lead to some real physical damage to the punk as well as players on the field. Altering the game is also a factor.

You want to think that it is nothing but good harmless college fun, so be it. I grew up with a better understanding of respecting others property and my place in the world.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That's quite a leap there from stupid prank at a fooptball game to murder, don't you think? You never did something foolish or embarrassing while drunk? You must be perfect. >>

What that kid did was a far cry from foolish or embarrassing. Running on the field during an active play could have lead to some real physical damage to the punk as well as players on the field. Altering the game is also a factor.

You want to think that it is nothing but good harmless college fun, so be it. I grew up with a better understanding of respecting others property and my place in the world. >>

"Let he without sin cast the fist stone."

It's easy to be self-righteous from behind the keyboard. I'm not excusing what the kid did and feel the revocation of his scholarship was just punishment, but saying that you could see him "taking out an entire family" based on this act is simply ridiculous and nothing more than sheer hyperbole.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>It's easy to be self-righteous from behind the keyboard. I'm not excusing what the kid did and feel the revocation of his scholarship was just punishment, but saying that you could see him "taking out an entire family" based on this act is simply ridiculous and nothing more than sheer hyperbole. >>

Point is the kid likely has an alcohol abuse problem and clearly has little regard for other folks.

Get ten jerks like that at each game and the place would look like a fortress.

Rarely do folks drive drunk with the intent of killing others, but clearly many fools do drive drunk and that at times is the consequence.

Not suggesting any additional consequence for his actions....just hope that he grows up.

<< <i>

<< <i>It's easy to be self-righteous from behind the keyboard. I'm not excusing what the kid did and feel the revocation of his scholarship was just punishment, but saying that you could see him "taking out an entire family" based on this act is simply ridiculous and nothing more than sheer hyperbole. >>

Point is the kid likely has an alcohol abuse problem and clearly has little regard for other folks.

Get ten jerks like that at each game and the place would look like a fortress.

Rarely do folks drive drunk with the intent of killing others, but clearly many fools do drive drunk and that at times is the consequence.

Not suggesting any additional consequence for his actions....just hope that he grows up. >>

I understand that and trust me I know the dangers of teens and alchohol, but in todays society if a kid gets drunk he has a drinking problem, if he gets into a fight he has an anger problem its not always as bad as it seems, I mean ruining this kids life over this seems way too harsh.

That being said, maybe he got a little too drunk and decided to run on the field like hundreds of other fans have in the past, they get snatched up, cuffed and everyone moves on no big deal. My point of this thread is that I think the coach could have seriously hurt this kid when it wasnt really neccesary, give the kid community service and probation and call it a day in my opinion.

<< <i>"Let he without sin cast the fist stone." >>

One of if not the greatest saying ever.

<< <i>

<< <i>"Let he without sin cast the fist stone." >>

One of if not the greatest saying ever. >>

When appropriately used, yes. When used as an excuse for poor behavior, it falls short.