Home Sports Talk

Bay Area Pro Teams...Sucking Everywhere, All the Time.

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
What a time to be a Bay Area sports fan! The total collapse is in full swing. You can't make this stuff up. This is a complete embarrassment and a complete disgrace.

Giants...3 of 5 Starting pitchers flat out suck. Had their meltdown earlier in the season. Still trying to pull their pants up. No offense + no pitching = no postseason.

Athletics...In total meltdown mode. Single worst team in the majors for the last few months after having the best record in baseball at the All Star break. Better find a way to win games when they score zero runs.

Sharks...Fixed the team by firing their color commentator. Management still in denial about last season and every season this century. Only 7 more months to go until their annual early playoff meltdown

Raiders...A half empty bag of charcoal found in the O.Co parking lot is ranked higher than the Raiders in the current power rankings. How Dennis Allen still has a job coaching is baffling.

49ers...an overrated turd of a team. Garbage play calling, an overrated defense and zero offense whatsoever. They forget a game is 4 quarters long, not 2 quarters long. I just can't fathom how the media keeps calling this team a contender when it is blatantly obvious they are not. The 2014 49ers are the 2013 Houston Texans. Good thing they play the Raiders later this season because then we can have our very own Bay Area toilet bowl. This 2014 49ers team is at best a 4-12 team. Next loss is only 7 days away.

It's a 4 way race straight to the bottom with only only a pile of dung in sight. It's as if the 4 teams are trying to out suck each other. I can't think of another area with so many sorryass teams in once place.
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wheeee!!!! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Must be nice to have teams can win. 49ers might not win another game the rest of the season the way they're stinking it up. Keep blaming he refs some more. No other team averages 16 penalties a game.

They couldn't beat a team that started their backup quarterback. Their goddam backup QB! Let that sink in.

Good news for the 49ers...Only 7 days to go until they get trounced 42-6 by Philadephia.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
    Come to think of it, 4-12 is too optimistic. This looks like a 2-14 team, that is if the game against the Raiders doesn't end in a 13-13 tie. What a year this will be: two NFL teams within an hour's drive of each other with a combined total of 2 wins for all of 2014. Good grief.

<< <i>Come to think of it, 4-12 is too optimistic. This looks like a 2-14 team, that is if the game against the Raiders doesn't end in a 13-13 tie. What a year this will be: two NFL teams within an hour's drive of each other with a combined total of 2 wins for all of 2014. Good grief. >>

This entire thread seems awfully familiar. You should just bump the previous one~when you predicted 4-12 and the Niners finished 12-4. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Raiders are bad (and my favorite team) but played hard today and I think they are on the upswing. Of course being terrible for the better part of a decade doesnt make it too hard to improve.
    49ers: Never bought into how good Harbaugh was (other than being a total jerk) and never ever though Kap was going to be worth what they thought
    A's: ive suffered with watching the Yanks all year. At least the A's played really good for a while lol
    Giants: hard to care less. And thats with Bumgarner being from the same county im in and his high school being one of my high school (i coach wrestling at the high school level) biggest rivals.
    Let's think about this...they lost to a team that started their backup QB! Couldn't beat a backup they have no chance against any other team on their schedule.

Here's the rest of the 2014 schedule:

Philadelphia
    Kansas City
    Rams
    Broncos
    Rams
    Saints
    Giants
    Redskins
    Seahawks
    Raiders
    Seahawks
    Chargers
    Arizona

Yep. 49ers = 2013 Houston Texans except the Texans tickets aren't as expensive.
  • Put a hitch in your giddyup amigo!
    The 49ers arent that bad. i think they can go about 8-8 and be on the outside looking in at the playoffs.
    They can win the following:

Kansas City
    Rams

Rams

Giants
    Redskins

Raiders

Chargers
    Arizona

<< <i>Put a hitch in your giddyup amigo!
    The 49ers arent that bad. i think they can go about 8-8 and be on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

Kansas City
    Rams

Rams

Giants
    Redskins

Raiders

Chargers
    Arizona >>

Don't you understand this forum has no place for rational analysis. Melodrama and hyperbole only, please!

Kansas City
    Rams

Rams

Giants
    Redskins

Raiders

Chargers
    Arizona >>

Kansas City...No chance.
    Rams...Doubt it. Whomever the Rams start at QB is better than Stanton and they couldn't stop Stanton. Rams defense too good.
    Giants...No chance. Giants own them
    Redskins...Shanahan not around anymore. Gruden won't start RG3 with a broken ankle held together by duct tape. Unless that happens they have no chance.

Chargers...No chance.
    Arizona...Didn't happen today. Won't happen in January.

Face it, the two Bay Area NFL teams are the two worst teams in the NFL. The two MLB are the two biggest letdowns in all of baseball. Even in college ball Cal lost last night on a no time Hail Mary after giving up 36 points in the 4th quarter. In college or in the pros the entire sports scene in the Bay Area is snakebit.

To sum it upon 5 words...They suck, season already over.
  • Since you put it like that...maybe they need to fold the franchise and just quit altogether?

• << <i>

Kansas City
    Rams

Rams

Giants
    Redskins

Raiders

Chargers
    Arizona >>

Don't you understand this forum has no place for rational analysis. Melodrama and hyperbole only, please! >>

They are called fanatics for a reason
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bay Area sports are lousy again. Only champ ion ships year after year are acceptable. So year after year the bay area teams suck. Might as well just not play. Close the teams down and have the fans focus on saving the planet.

<< <i>Since you put it like that...maybe they need to fold the franchise and just quit altogether? >>

For one the media and team PR departments can start by describing their teams as what they really are...a non championship contender and likely candidate for finishing the season with the worst record in the entire league. They can set ticket prices that correlate with the quality of play on the field. If that really happened 49ers game tickets would start at $5 and A's tickets would have been free since August.

49ers have the second most expensive tickets in the NFL, second to New England. At least you get to watch quality play after spending so much for a ticket in New England. For the 49ers you spend nearly as much for tickets only to watch them stink it up on the field.

If the teams folded at the least they wouldn't lose any more games.

<< <i>Bay Area sports are lousy again. Only champ ion ships year after year are acceptable. So year after year the bay area teams suck. Might as well just not play. Close the teams down and have the fans focus on saving the planet. >>

What championships? Every other population center with multiple pro teams have at least one that is a perennial contender. We have six and all six are giant letdowns. You live here you know that.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This entire thread seems awfully familiar. You should just bump the previous one~when you predicted 4-12 and the Niners finished 12-4. image >>

Exactly what I was thinking.

<< <i>What championships? Every other population center with multiple pro teams have at least one that is a perennial contender. We have six and all six are giant letdowns. You live here you know that. >>

Though I live in Nor Cal I am no fan (other than my beloved Sac Kings) but really it's been pretty good here in recent years for you Nor Cal sports fans. Niners have been in 3 straight NFC championships. Oh ya, that baseball team you have has won 2 world series in the last few years. The national league is wide open this year so the Giants could surprise again.

The A's have been a disappointment but they were overachieving the first half of the year so maybe it's not fair to say it's a disappointment.

Warriors are still very good too.

Raiders suck and Shark's disappoint but Giants, 49ers and Dubs are all very good teams.

Also, every other population center does not have at least one perennial contender. Who is the contender in New York? Phoenix? Dallas? Houston? Cleveland? LA (besides the Kings)?

Take a deep breath and relax.

The good news is that NONE of this "matters" in life.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to feel sorry for you. Seems to me these teams have multiple championships over the last several years. Try being a Cleveland fan. Last time the Browns won I was in High School. Last time the Indians won I was in diapers. Odds are next time either wins again I'll be in diapers again.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

Championships won since 2000...

Raiders...ZERO
    49ers...ZERO
    A's...ZERO
    Giants...2
    Warriors...ZERO
    Sharks...ZERO

That says it all. One team with some success, 5 disappointments. Of the four active teams all four look like utter garbage.

Out of the six teams only one team (Giants) have won a championship in this century. But the Giants finishing more than a dozen games below .500 last season and them squandering a 9 1/2 game division lead this season has made all that stuff that happened in 2010 and 2012 a distant memory.

If it weren't for the Giants the Bay Area teams collectively would be in the 3rd longest drought of any metro area. If the Giants are excluded even Houston has won a more recent championship.

Raiders have sucked much for so long even a 4-12 season is a reason to celebrate.

The San Jose Sharks' SoCal rivals have spent their offseasons hauling around the Stanley Cup. Sharks spend theirs hauling around that President's Trophy banner that hangs from the rafters at the Tank. I look forward to their next playoff humiliation in seven month's time.

The last time the Warriors won a championship there were still U.S. troops in Vietnam. 3/4 of America wasn't born yet. They'll probably make the playoffs again next season as the 5th or 6th seed then get promptly bounced in the first round by the Clippers again. They're good enough to not be one of the three teams to miss the playoffs but they're first round good, nothing more.

This was the A's best chance for a World Series title since the early 90's. That was the idea in June. Now they'll be lucky just to make it in as the 2nd seed wildcard team. If they actually make it they'll lose that game.

49ers were better than average the last few seasons but have absolutely nothing to show for it. Championships won in the last two decades...Zero. When number 5 was won half the country wasn't born yet. Let's not get our hopes up because that window has slammed shut. Now they are one of the worst teams in the league, a team that lost to a backup QB making a spot start.

Multiple championships are only an illusion. 5 of the 6 teams have won jack squat this century.

Good news for Cleveland. Their basketball team will win the championship this coming season.
    Nothing like spoiled fans who throw in the towel when their team(s) are struggling, LOL!!

I hear public broadcasting has some great programs airing on Sunday afternoons..

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, this bothers me some. The Cowboys are 2 and 1 with our only loss to this crap team you speak of!

It did take 3 Romo picks for you to beat us though.image
    This topic comes up each year. If one has the point of view that the only acceptable result for SF Bay Area pro and college sports teams is championships year in and year out, then the local sports team are horrible.

Of course if one has a different point of view, the local sports teams have had some good years of late.

Much better than my favorite team who is 2-5 in the Super Bowl, who has not won a title in 16 seasons and whose 5 losses are blowouts that seem to get worse each trip back. Still, gotta cheers for the Broncos.
    WTCG- I would think you are joking but you seem sort of serious. The Bay Area has been consistently good for my almost 30 years in the great state of Nor Cal. Nobody wins every year. As an LA fan I was spoiled during my high school/college years (the 80's) when the Lakers dominated, the Dodgers won a couple of series and the Raiders (when we had a football team) won a super bowl. However, been pretty dry in recent years other than the Stanley Cups. I am not jumping off a bridge about it though. Shoot, now I have been a Sacramento King's fan for almost 20 years. Gosh we have sucked during most of those years but I keep on rooting. I am usually one that talks about striving for championships but your posts really make me re-think that mentality. Enjoy the ride. Life is WAY too short.
    Another thing, I read in ESPN the mag this morning that the A's have the best record in baseball the last 3 years. Not sure if that's for the full season or exactly what but the point is one of the lowest payrolls in the game has been highly competitive the last 3 years... and beyond. No championship but at least they have a chance each year. They have been really remarkable the last 10+ years considering their payroll. The glass is half full!
    A's might have the best record in baseball for the last three years except they have nothing to show for it except going one-'n-done in the postseason. This year they probably won't even get to the ALDS despite having the best record in the majors less than two months ago. With Lester gone at the end of this season, Cespedes already gone and their best prospects traded away they'll be the cellar dwellers in 2015. Some time before the trade deadline they'll trade away Moss, Donaldson, Norris, etc. and the team will revert back to the AAA team they have been since the early 90's.

The 49ers are spending today making more damn excuses. Quit blaming the refs and win some games for God's sake. You don't see other teams committing 16 penalties a game.

SoCal teams have been far more successful. They have won championships in every sport they have teams in this century. In NorCal other than the Giants no team has won jack squat. Last time a NorCal team other than the Giants won anything half the country wasn't born yet.
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    You are the worst fan ever.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

• << <i>You are the worst fan ever. >>

yes. If not the worst at least the fan who feels most entitled to win everything every year and get ticked off when it doesnt happen
    Of course the SF Bay Area pro, college, high school, middle school and pee wee sports teams should win championships year, after year, after year.

The good citizens of the SF Bay Area deserve nothing less, because, ............... well,.........................., because they live in the SF Bay Area!!!!!

Anything less than championships year in and year out, plus 30% appreciation each year in the value of your home and other real properties, plus a doubling each year of your Stock Portfolio in the latest and hottest Silicon Valley IPO, plus wine, cheese, hot tubs, culture, elegance, nuance, gravitas and the perpetual envy of everyone who does not live in the SF Bay Area is simply just not acceptable.image

• << <i>Of course the SF Bay Area pro, college, high school, middle school and pee wee sports teams should win championships year, after year, after year.

The good citizens of the SF Bay Area deserve nothing less, because, ............... well,.........................., because they live in the SF Bay Area!!!!!

Anything less than championships year in and year out, plus 30% appreciation each year in the value of your home and other real properties, plus a doubling each year of your Stock Portfolio in the latest and hottest Silicon Valley IPO, plus wine, cheese, hot tubs, culture, elegance, nuance, gravitas and the perpetual envy of everyone who does not live in the SF Bay Area is simply just not acceptable.image >>

I dont think that is asking too much
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    It's always a little embarrassing and disappointing to see a grown man this emotionally involved with his favorite sports teams.

<< <i>It's always a little embarrassing and disappointing to see a grown man this emotionally involved with his favorite sports teams. >>

Agreed.
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    A sore ass will feel better if he/she gets off the couch and becomes involved in his/her own personal sports saga. Living vicariously through someone else's success or failure is no way to live.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    Sharks...Fixed the team by firing their color commentator. Management still in denial about last season and every season this century. Only 7 more months to go until their annual early playoff meltdown

I firmly agree with everything you wrote in the OP, especially about the Giants because I also hate when my favorite baseball team only has 5 starting pitchers with ERAs & xFIPs under 4.....but I think you went a little too far with the hyperbole regarding the Sharks. They "fixed the team" by allowing one defenseman who can't play defense in Dan Boyle to walk and will replace his minutes by moving another guy who can't play defense in Brent Burns back to the blueline..... in addition to resigning Mike Brown (led the league in punches landed vs punches absorbed) and the most key of acquisitions in the signing of The Murdersaurus.
    You just can't make the fatal error of not gameplanning for divisional foes like a 77 point CalGary team without accounting for Brian McGrattan's 4 shifts per night or allow a 67 point team like Edmonton come into your barn and push you around with Luke Gazdic's 4 points per season. That's all been rectified with these off-season moves. Now you may as well hand The Cup to one of the twelve alternate captains the Sharks will roll out this season right now.

<< <i>

<< <i>It's always a little embarrassing and disappointing to see a grown man this emotionally involved with his favorite sports teams. >>

And it's always disappointing to see a grown men criticize how others choose to live their lives. >>

I think it's an opinion more than being critical. I personally agree with the statement though. It is just a little sad and embarrassing. When I was in college it seemed like sports really mattered. As I got older I realized it matters little. To each his own though.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Agreed. >>

I gotta be honest, several times I can remember being very upset for at least a few weeks after some catastrophic failures with my beloved Sox and Patriots, I still dont know which incident was worse for me.. the 1986 Sox, the 2003 Sox, or the 2007 Patriots. I was seriously in a horrible mood for awhile, although I disagree with WTCG and Dimeman getting over the top upset after regular season losses I can relate in some fashion.
    Baseball,

I don't think it's so much a criticism of WTCG as a fan, but his annual exercise in melodramatic hyperbole to lambaste the local teams he supposedly roots for.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think it's so much a criticism of WTCG as a fan, but his annual exercise in melodramatic hyperbole to lambaste the local teams he supposedly roots for. >>

<< <i>Baseball,

I don't think it's so much a criticism of WTCG as a fan, but his annual exercise in melodramatic hyperbole to lambaste the local teams he supposedly roots for. >>

If the team looks and plays like crap I call it like it is. I do not search far and wide for some faint grain of positive spin to clutch on to when there is none.
    Giants clinch a wildcard postseason spot with today's Milwaukee Brewers loss. It took the help of another big meltdown courtesy of the Brewers. Although not settled yet it looks like they will play the Pirates in the wildcard game.

Single elimination games are bad news for any baseball team. One bad half inning will completely torpedo an entire season. Regardless of well or poor the Pirates are in any given season the Giants never fare well playing them.

Meanwhile the A's have one last series to salvage whatever they can in this season. Months earlier the A's basically bet the mortgage payment and all the equity in the farm and lost. If they make it in they'll either face King Felix or Shields. For a team that could barely score runs that isn't good.
  • Try being a fan in Kansas City. The Royals are FINALLY living up to their potential and SHOULD make the playoffs. But before that they hadn't made the postseason since 1985. And don't get me started on the Chiefs. So yeah, I don't feel sorry for you. Not one bit.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
    Kansas City has two teams that have stunk it up. We have six doing that. Seven if you count the NBA team in Sacramento.

Haven't seen much of the Chiefs this season. No comment there. If the Royals make the wildcard and play the A's I give them a 90 percent chance of winning that game. A's can barely score runs off a 5th starter much less a pitcher like James Shields.

<< <i>

<< <i>Baseball,

I don't think it's so much a criticism of WTCG as a fan, but his annual exercise in melodramatic hyperbole to lambaste the local teams he supposedly roots for. >>

If the team looks and plays like crap I call it like it is. I do not search far and wide for some faint grain of positive spin to clutch on to when there is none. >>

It would be one thing if your previous threads had any semblance of reality to them, but that has not been the case.

You had the Niners finishing 4-12 a couple seasons ago and they wound up winning the NFC. You had the Giants missing the playoffs the year they won the World Series.

This tells me that you are either completely clueless or you have this bizarre belief that if you come here and sound the mourning bells that your team(s) will somehow spark to life.

In either case, your schtick has become old.

<< <i>

<< <i>Baseball,

I don't disagree that he can be melodramatic about sports and I'm sure some find his posts entertaining and others mind find it a bit extreme. But I still don't see the need to chime in just to be judgmental and get personal about it. It's one thing if the two have a history of trading light barbs but that isn't the case here. >>

I just agreed with someone else. Maybe they were being judgement and personal. I don't know. I just said I agreed with the statement. Maybe they have a history of trading light barbs I don't know. I don't keep track of who plays with who. I just think WTCG posts sounds ridiculous... in my opinion. It's great to strive for your team to win the championship every year but to say the 49ers are going to go 4-12 each year just sounds silly. Yes, to each his own... but if you say something ridiculous someone might call you out on it.
    Good day for the A's...they made it in to the postseason finally. 2nd wildcard but that's better than no postseason. Shields and the Royals coming up. They've got their work cut out for them.

I was wrong about the 49ers week and that's okay. They needed this win badly, especially after spotting the Eagles 21 points through horrible special teams and a pick 6. Furthermore they proved they could actually score points in the 2nd half. The defense especially the secondary has been sketchy but they did stop Foles, McCoy and the rest of the Eagles offense from scoring an offensive TD. Good win because they need the momentum. Coming into the second half I was expecting Foles to light up that secondary like New Years Eve.

Raiders got trashed as expected. End of story.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

And it's always disappointing to see a grown men criticize how others choose to live their lives. >>

I think it's an opinion more than being critical. I personally agree with the statement though. It is just a little sad and embarrassing. When I was in college it seemed like sports really mattered. As I got older I realized it matters little. To each his own though. >>

That's exactly my point. "To each his own." NO ONE should be passing judgment on another human being's interests, unless those interests are somehow blatantly harmful to others. There are things that EVERY ONE of us do that others could shake their heads at and find "embarrassing and disappointing." So what? The way it's worded, it's hard to look at it as mere opinion. To say,

"I don't think it's worth investing so much emotion into the success of your favorite sports teams is healthy or productive," or something to that effect would be an opinion.

To call someone's actions "embarrassing and disappointing" is nothing short of being unnecessarily judgmental, if not downright "critical." >>

Thanks for brightening my day. You're so cute when you get indignant!
    I was wrong about the 49ers week and that's okay

That has happened so often at this point it's guaranteed money to bet against what you claim.

Raiders fire head coach Dennis Allen. That was totally expected and nobody was surprised. Through 36 career games as head coach his win/loss record was 8-28, making him the number 3 on the list of least wins for any NFL head coach in history through 36 games. No person with any credibility as a coach in their right mind will want to take over that vacancy. Just checked the remaining Raiders season schedule. They have an excellent shot at matching the futility of the 2008 Detroit Lions.
    A's now in extra innings in their one shot wild card game. Had a 4 run lead late in the game only to give it up completely. So far this game has been their 2014 season in a nutshell.