Home Sports Talk

Your favorite athlete that history has forgotton???

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
I will start with distance runner Bill Rodgers. These folks rarely get little exposure outside of a loyal but narrow fan base.

Bill won the Boston Marathon and New York Marathon 4 times each in the late 70's/early 80's.

I was lucky enough to spot him on a training run about 30 years ago and the pleasant chap let me run with him for a bit. image

Comments

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Tony Eason.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Charlie Choo Choo Justice half back. Born in Ashville NC, played football at UNC, 2xAA and 2 time Heisman Runner-up. Played for the Redskins for 4 seasons. Inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will start with distance runner Bill Rodgers. These folks rarely get little exposure outside of a loyal but narrow fan base.

Bill won the Boston Marathon and New York Marathon 4 times each in the late 70's/early 80's.

I was lucky enough to spot him on a training run about 30 years ago and the pleasant chap let me run with him for a bit. image >>

Rodgers is still well-known in New England, still a legend! My wife, daughter, and I met him in NH. He signed a photo and hat for my daughter and their photo was in the newspaper the next day. Likable guy
  • Marion Motley.

While a Pro Football HOFer and member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary team, relatively few NFL fans today know who Motley was.

He was one of the first to sign with the NFL, breaking the color barrier even before MLB.

He faced racism on and off the field.

He volunteered for the U.S. Navy during World War II.

He was a cornerstone of the powerhouse Browns franchise during the AAFC's existence and their early success in the NFL.

Many who played with both Motley and Jim Brown considered Motley the better fullback as an all around player.

This guy was a beast in his day, a lethal combination of speed and power, and he played on both sides of the ball.

Snorto~
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rodgers is still well-known in New England, still a legend! My wife, daughter, and I met him in NH. He signed a photo and hat for my daughter and their photo was in the newspaper the next day. Likable guy >>

Good story, Barndog! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Rodgers is still well-known in New England, still a legend! My wife, daughter, and I met him in NH. He signed a photo and hat for my daughter and their photo was in the newspaper the next day. Likable guy >>

Good story, Barndog! image >>

did a quick check for pics, didn't want to waste half a day looking for the pic where she met him. Found this of my daughter. Right after "The Manchester Mile" -- Note the race bib she is wearing...signed!

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Great shot. Rodgers was always a class act.

Wonder if he will show up at the Iditarod? image
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Jim Thorpe
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

<< <i>Great shot. Rodgers was always a class act.

Wonder if he will show up at the Iditarod? image >>

nope, but I will!
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombo Rivera
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set