Home Sports Talk
Options

About 20-30 years ago, who was the Manager that took 2nd base to the dugout??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking it was Billy Martin or Lou Pinella, but some Manager was arguing about a stolen base or something, got the heave-ho and continued to throw a hissy fit!! Then on his way to the dugout he lifted the offending base out of the ground and carried it into the clubhouse!!!!

Man, I long for the good 'ol days!!image

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I recall that and google does not help. image

Seems like it happened in Chicago. Manager was a former player. I want to say Hal McRae or Frank Robinson.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I dont know the circumstances but both Piniella and Lloyd McClendenon did it in the early 2000s. Piniella actually did it twice and he threw the bases but I think McClendenon took the base to the dugout.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earl Weaver?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A true "stolen base".image
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With all the reviews now being done on disputed calls, these acts may become largely obsolete. It's a shame too as it provided entertaiment for the fans. Who can forget Martin or Weaver messing up the chalk baselines or home plate. And of the sand kicking onto the umps shoes by them. Well theres always Youtube to reminisce with.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With all the reviews now being done on disputed calls, these acts may become largely obsolete. It's a shame too as it provided entertaiment for the fans. Who can forget Martin or Weaver messing up the chalk baselines or home plate. And of the sand kicking onto the umps shoes by them. Well theres always Youtube to reminisce with. >>

Martin and Weaver were great for the game of baseball. Baseball will soon develop a manager robot that can effortless calculate pitch counts and challenge questionable calls.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this isn't the one I was thinking of but it's probably better!!image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I think it was Lloyd McClendon.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search Wally Backman on YouTube. He has some classic rants as well.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012