Home Sports Talk

Sports News: No longer about sports

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
Nope, it's all about drama and correct language and behavior. Click on any sports site and how low on the page do you have to go to find discussion of an actual sporting event? Pasted the top ten stories on si.com's sidebar:

A top sponsor has strong words after NFL scandals

Senator has bold plan in fight over Redskins name

Minnesota governor calls for Peterson suspension

NFL reaches out to DA on Peterson, gets snubbed

Report: Minnesota Nike stores pull Peterson merch

A new look: Stanton posts pic of recovery progress

Watch: Kemp, Puig have shouting match in dugout

Rihanna blasts CBS for pulling song from pregame

Report: Rice requests Goodell back off with appeal

Papelbon docked seven games for gestures at fans

I think sports fans, if they even exist any longer, must want to just watch games, check box scores, and shut out the chatter.

I remember reading The Sporting News when I was a kid. Chock full of stats, box scores, focus stories on games, players, leagues, predictions, etc. Pretty much today, you open a web site or a magazine and you feel like you are watching Entertainment Tonight or TMZ. Yuck.

Comments

• Been saying the same thing at home. Told my wife I am not renewing subscription to Sports Illustrated. Last few covers included Ray Rice elevator incident and an AAU coach thrown in jail. I am done. Was a Sporting News subscriber for years, remember my first issue came with Willie Horton on the cover. Those were the days my friend, they have come to an end.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right Barndog. No doubt about it.

I do my best to ignore all that.

I love sports and am not ashamed to admit that I watch and follow with childlike naivete'.

I don't care about anything from salaries to felonies. My rose colored glasses are firmly intact.

I think that is the reason I was compelled to visit Wrigley field this year.
    To be with 35,000 fans of the game.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm tuning out all these media reports. I know that's what many thrive on these days, but I love watching the game itself, and really don't care so much about all the drama. There's plenty of that on the regular news.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Info. not as controlled as it used to be by the teams. More gets out today. Too many rapid social media outlets. Also is much dollars to be made with these explosive stories. They draw viewers to the sites/TV with these headlines then the sites/TV sell advertising. Rates based on viewers/site hits. Just follow the money.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    NFL wanted to expand the fan base and successfully did so. As Americas sport, it is now facing the backlash of unbridled thuggery among many but certainly not the majority of players.

Pro boxing has a very narrow but dedicated base that does not care that Floyd Mayweather is a repeat abuser of women.