Home Sports Talk
Options

The best NFL coach of all time....Landry compared with Walsh..

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
Of course I am a little biased, but here is the first paragraph from his bio on the Net.

Thomas Wade "Tom" Landry (September 11, 1924 – February 12, 2000) was an American football player and coach. He is ranked as one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in National Football League (NFL) history, creating many new formations and methods. He invented the now popular 4–3 defense, and the "flex defense" system made famous by the "Doomsday Defense" squads he created during his 29 year tenure with the Dallas Cowboys. His 29 years as the coach of one team are an NFL record, along with his 20 consecutive winning seasons.

Landry won two Super Bowl titles (VI, XII), 5 NFC titles, 13 Divisional titles, and compiled a 270-178-6 record, the 3rd most wins of all time for an NFL coach. His 20 career playoff victories are the most of any coach in NFL history. He was named the NFL Coach of the Year in 1966 and the NFC Coach of the Year in 1975. His most impressive professional accomplishment is his 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966–1985), an NFL record that remains unbroken and unchallenged. From 1966 to 1982 Dallas played in 12 NFL or NFC Championship games, a span of 17 years. More impressive is the Cowboys' appearance in 10 NFC Championship games in the 13-year span from 1970 to 1982. Leading the Cowboys to 3 Super Bowl appearances in four years between 1975 and 1978, and five in nine years between 1970 and 1978, and being on television more than any other NFL team is what spawned the title of "America's Team", a title Landry did not appreciate because he felt it would bring on extra motivation from the rest of the league to compete
with the Cowboys.

William Ernest "Bill" Walsh (November 30, 1931 – July 30, 2007) was the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and the Stanford Cardinal football team, during which time he popularized the West Coast offense. After retiring from the 49ers, Walsh worked as sports broadcaster for several years and then returned as head coach at Stanford for three seasons.

Walsh went 102–63–1 with the 49ers, winning ten of his 14 postseason games along with six division titles, three NFC Championship titles, and three Super Bowls. He was named the NFL's Coach of the Year in 1981 and 1984. In 1993, he was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Landry has Walsh beat in all catagories but SB wins. I'll stick with Landry.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    First NFL game attended was at the Cotton Bowl in 1969 with Landry on the sideline.

Sure...he gets my vote.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill Walsh

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bill Walsh >>

As poignant as that post was I agree with Tim here that Bill Walsh was the best Tom Landry certainly is deserving a spot as one of the best without question
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Chuck Noll

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lombardi and Walsh. Take your pick.

Next in no particular order

Shula, Hallas, Noll and Brown

Next

Belichick

I can see Landry next

All great coaches.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    -----The best NFL coach of all time: Paul Brown, end of discussion.

He built a Team which dominated its League while asking for acceptance into the NFL and being laughed at. Finally the Cleveland Browns along with the San Francisco 49ers were allowed in, and to show him who was boss the NFL scheduled the reigning champion for the first game.......................he promptly beat them and went on to win the NFL championship!!!! Over the course of the next decade he battled the Detroit Lions in the championship game almost every year and posted a regular season record that was phenomenal. Along the way he instituted changes which are common-place today, things like the messenger Guard/Tackle and he was instrumental in redesigning the Football Helmet to include a facebar. Oh yeah, you might check out his "tree" since I know a lot of guys place importance upon such things. You may be surprised to see who grew from his seed.

Then along came Art Modell.image
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>-----The best NFL coach of all time: Paul Brown, end of discussion.

Why? Because you say so?
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close, but I'd have to vote Walsh.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

<< <i>Close, but I'd have to vote Walsh.

Dave >>

Surprised no vote for Lombardi. Just amazing the things he accomplished in Green Bay.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    part of the reason for Paul Brown's choice by me is what he did prior to arriving in the NFL and the influence he had on so many others and the game as we know it today. some are unaware that he had to sit out for seven years till the contract he had with the Browns ran its course, then he founded the Cincinnati Bengals. that means he founded half of an NFL division, 6% of the League, and I won't even go into how many Super Bowls his "Tree" produced.

sometimes getting stuck on a winning percentage can be deceiving. Paul Brown's winning percentage would be much higher if he hadn't chosen to start a new franchise from the ground up. Vince Lombardi and Brown took the same road to greatness during the same time period, it's a shame that Modell spoiled what possibly could have bee a few epic Championship games between two of the greatest coaches and two of the greatest teams.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think we can say there is a best NFL coach of all-time- there are those worthy of being mentioned in a list of 10 to perhaps 12. And Paul Brown would be on my list

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost all of the "Best of All Time" lists are futile. Trying to figure the best coach would seem even harder. Most of these coaches had great teams.

Not saying he was the "best" but Bud Grant was a great one who hasn't been mentioned. He took over a Vikings team that won 3 games under Les Steckle (1984) and won 7 games the next year. Record could have been even better as they lost the last two games by a combined 3 points.

Of course he had success in Canada, and in the 1970's with the Vikes, but those were great teams.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set