Home Sports Talk

Checking one off the list..........Going to Wrigley! ***UPDATED WITH PICS.***

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a life long, born and raised Yankees fan but more importantly a baseball fan.

Earlier this spring I was with my brother and brother-in-law watching some MLB highlights and the conversation turned to Wrigley Field and how we'd like to visit in our lifetimes.

Going for 3 games against the Orioles. It'll be easy to route for the Cubs. I'm beyond exited.

Any suggestions or advice on things I must and must NOT do during my visit?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Sounds awesome. I always wanted to go there as well. Being in the landscape biz, the outfield vine has always fascinated me.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    if you don't mind doing full-on tourist things, you can do the stadium tour. If you want to do other touristy things like arriving early so you can take pics of yourselves in the Ferris Bueller seats, those are at Section 104, Row 3, I believe seat #9 is where Ferris sat.

If you don't want to be around bros/d-bags and cup-stackers dressed in plaid shorts, I'd avoid the bleachers. My choice for Wrigley seats, if you're not going to be buying premium field box or whatnot, are 1st or 2nd row upper deck seats in the 216-224 sections. Section 220 1st row are the best non-super-premium seats in the house. Beer wise, anything carried by the vendors are horrible Bud products. You have to get the good stuff at the concourse stands. I'm not into Goose Island products, but they do have a few that are Chicago-only brews available at the stadium. I believe one is called Goose Island Green Line or something like that. If you're looking to do the Chicago pizza thing, just remember Lou Malnati's (at Lincoln and Wrightwood) trumps Gino's East or D'Agostinos or any others.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if they still have the $6 parking at the DeVry University parking lot with the shuttle service to Wrigley, which is about 2 miles down the road? It's a great deal and you miss out on some heavy traffic.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    Nope. The new lot is for night and weekend games and free - located at 3900 N. Rockwell just east of the river and south of Irving Park Rd. About two miles west of Wrigley. I don't believe it's available to Cardinal travelers, however. Something about the lot being located in a parks/neighborhood area and residents frowning upon warehousing mobile meth-labs and women dressed in ill-fitting David Eckstein shirtzees that litter the lot, the tennis courts, and baseball fields with empty Skoal cans and cashed lung darts.

<< <i>Nope. The new lot is for night and weekend games and free - located at 3900 N. Rockwell just east of the river and south of Irving Park Rd. About two miles west of Wrigley. I don't believe it's available to Cardinal travelers, however. Something about the lot being located in a parks/neighborhood area and residents frowning upon warehousing mobile meth-labs and women dressed in ill-fitting David Eckstein shirtzees that litter the lot, the tennis courts, and baseball fields with empty Skoal cans and cashed lung darts. >>

image I like this guy...

You forgot the used NLCS and world series ticket stubs that fall out of the cars when they exit. Of course CHC fans have never seen one so they likely just cause confusion. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Completely
    Useless
    By
    September

is being very nice to the team from Chicago!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    You forgot the used NLCS and world series ticket stubs that fall out of the cars when they exit. Of course CHC fans have never seen one so they likely just cause confusion.

nope, those stubs get washed out by the northshore winds that repossess issues of
    from the Cousin Eddie RVs the Cardinal fans pilot in on game days.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tips lanemyer85.
    We're in section 6, then the bleachers and finally in section 224.
    Guess we're getting the full experience.

We're staying not far away at all. I assume it'll be a cab or maybe the Hotel has a shuttle.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

LMAO

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to treat yourself to a Chicago-style pizza during your visit to the Windy City.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the trip. While the team may not be all that great, a game at Wrigley is
    a one of a kind experience. Great atmosphere and fun. You'll have a blast!
    EAC, ANA Member

<< <i>Congrats on the trip. While the team may not be all that great, a game at Wrigley is
    a one of a kind experience. Great atmosphere and fun. You'll have a blast! >>

Thanks Purfrock. Can't wait.

And yes Mikey, plan on some Chicago-style pizza. I've argued about New York thin crust being the best but I'll go in with an open mind and am sure I'll love it.

• SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    My suggestions:

- Have a beer (or several) at the Cubby Bear (right across from main entrance/marquee)
    - Have a beer (or several) in the beer garden at Murphy's Bleachers (opposite side of park from Cubby Bear)

If you're looking for non-Wrigley things to do, here are my suggestions:

-Go to Michigan Ave./Magnificent Mile - plenty of things to do:
    -Nike Town
    -Gino's East for pizza
    -Ditka's Restaurant
    -Hancok Tower (building) - nice (expensive) restaurant on 95th Floor - Signature Room - or just go to the bar and have a drink. AMAZING views of city. 1,000 feet up.

Navy Pier is kind of cool:
    -Harry Caray's restaurant
    -Sea Dog boat rides (architectural tour is kind of neat)
    -giant ferris wheel

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats on the trip. While the team may not be all that great, a game at Wrigley is
    a one of a kind experience. Great atmosphere and fun. You'll have a blast! >>

Thanks Purfrock. Can't wait.

And yes Mikey, plan on some Chicago-style pizza. I've argued about New York thin crust being the best but I'll go in with an open mind and am sure I'll love it. >>

If you don't mind a pound of cheese and a pound of butter per slice you will be fine. You will also be wearing it on your @$$ for months.

Nothing beats NY pizza.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    On our way. Well sort of. Our flight out of upstate NY delayed 2 hrs.image

• JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I hope the weather turns out ok for you. Kind of a bummer that weather here will be hot and humid and maybe rainy. Have not seen this type of weather all summer.

We don’t all live for deep dish just because we live in Chicago. I prefer the thin crust or the cracker crust tavern style thats crispy, cut into squares, cheese thats well done and sauce thats also well seasoned. If you are looking to try Chicago style I would say Lou Malnati's or Pequod’s Pizzeria. Harry Caray's italian steakhouse and Ditka's are good and fun places.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Have fun!!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan

<< <i>Have fun!! >>

Boy, did I today! Love the old ballpark. Short walk from our hotel.
    Our seats were right at the wall by the Cubs bullpen mound.
    Well played game. Some great defense, a few home runs, etc...& the Cubs won.

"the Cubs won" Yehey. You made excellent choices for your seats. This will give you
    3 different views of Wrigley.

Bad day to be in the bleachers....hope you are still having fun

This trip of a lifetime exceeded all my expectations.

I thought this was a good sign just before boarding.

No caption required for this pic.

First day seats.

Day 2. Top row of the bleachers, under the Toyota sign. Lots of orange shirts made the trek.

Minutes before the MASSIVE downpour.

Grounds crew received a standing ovation for completing the tarp. Kinda funny.

Way cool entertainment while waiting for the weather to pass.

37,000 whittled waaayyy down after the storm. My crew and I moved around. Love that scoreboard.

Day 3 seats.

Lots more blue in the crowd today.

Cubs complete the sweep.

Goodbye Chicago. I'll NEVER forget this trip.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great trip. Can "see" the Babe calling his shot at Wrigley. Not too many ballparks left where he played on.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I love seeing original photos of ballparks that are taken by baseball fans.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    You picked the right time to go for sure. Wrigley is one of those places every true fan of the game should visit.

Not only that, a Cubs sweep is a major rarity. Kinda like seeing Halley's Comet. image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats on your visit to Wrigley. You can tell that you had a great time!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics! Thanks for posting them.

Boy, do these pics bring back memories......I was there once, about 20 years ago. Flew from Seattle to Chicago just to see old Wrigley.

Had a great time, although my brother managed to lose our tickets on the way to the park. imageimageimage I think they fell out of him coat pocket on the train. We ended up paying $60 each to a shady-looking scalper for upper deck obstructed view seats, way down the 1st base line. Still, we had a great time - worth every penny. Food was great, Chicago was great --- met a lot of wonderful people. Not only that, the Cubbies won!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.