First Baseball Game Attended

11YO
Was with Grandma Mom Sister

May 1979 Yankees at Indians
Double header

Saw Thurman Munson play

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    1963 - Polo Grounds to see THE METS play. I was 5 and went with my dad.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    1964, went with my dad, brother and about 100 other Cub scouts.

Detroit Tigers.

Ernie Harwell was calling the game.
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1967 Fenway Park with my pop, we saw one of Yaz's 44 homers into the monster net.
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First MLB game: Sept 1968, Baltimore at Washington. I still have the program around here somewhere.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Geesh, 6 or 7 I think. With my dad and sis. Saw the M's (probably lose) and Red Sox
  • royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭
    10 years old.

With just my grandma.

Last game of the regular season, October 5th, 1980.
    Twins at Royals.

I wouldn't attend another MLB game until 1996.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
    I wouldn't attend another MLB game until 1996.

Interesting as my last MLB game was in 1994. Saw Ken Griffey with the Mariners play the Tigers.

Probably never attend another pro baseball game, college ball fits the bill nicely now!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shea Stadium, Lee Mazzilli's rookie season. They lost to the Pirates and Maz made last out on a fly ball that I thought was gone when it left the bat and much to my chagrin, it was just a routine flyout, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 1956 Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ, my Brooklyn Dodger vs Reds, Newcombe vs Lawerence . The Duke hit a hr. With one out in the bottom of the ninth, to win the game 2-1. Snider had been homer less for over six weeks, the longest stretch in his career!

Craig
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minnesota Twins when I was about 8 years old. Harmon Killebrew was my favorite player.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    I was seven. California Angels. A boy scout caught a foul ball right in front of me and passed it around for all of us to see. I remember all the kids had gloves so they could catch a foul.

Second game, I was eight. 1979, Busch Stadium, they had a countdown for Lou Brock approaching 3,000 hits. I think they were about 30 away. I remember being surprised that no kids had a glove. I remember finding it curious why habits were so varying in different ballparks.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • ashabbyashabby Posts: 471
    Cedar Rapids kernels minor league and was a reds farm team in the 80's
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Both games were in 1987 I believe.

First NL game: Houston Astros vs Giants at Candlestick Park. It was a Sunday afternoon game so it wasn't cold and windy and if I recall it was a sellout. Giants won 7-3.

First AL game: Red Sox vs A's at the Oakland Coliseum. Sat in the RF bleachers so got to see Jose Canseco close up all game. He also homered in that game. A's won but I can't remember the score.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Game #3 1968 World Series in Detroit. I sat out in left field with my Dad and yelled for Willie Horton to put on his glove. McCarver and Shannon hit home runs and I wanted to go home at the fifth inning. I was 7 years old. One of the best days of my life.
    Wondo

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My second game was very memorable- The Washington Senators v California Angels- 1969. Ted Williams was the manager of the Senators- it was truly amazing seeing Williams. The game was high lighted by one of Frank Howard's signature homeruns (it was 500 ft or so..) in the 5th or 6th inning that capped an 8 run inning. Washington won in extra innings 9-8 after trailing 6-0. Learned at an early age about comebacks...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Age 8. Cubs vs Cards with my uncle. I wore my Card hat and took my beat up Bob Gibson model glove, he wore his Cub hat. Ate way too many peanuts and almost caught a foul ball hit by, I believe, Lou Brock. Rode the Rock Island Rocket train up and back. Couldn't tell you who won, but will always remember how much fun it was.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • JaktJakt Posts: 573
    1986 Mets vs. Cubs at Shea. I was 9 years old.

Len Dykstra and George Foster hit home runs that day.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    My first MLB game was in 1957 at Comiskey Park. White Sox vs Tigers. I will never forget Nellie Fox making what could have been an "unassisted" triple play. Runners on 1B and 2B when a line drive was hit over the pitcher. Nellie caught the ball, came down on second base and threw over to first for a triple play - the runner on first was coming into second and Nellie could have probably tagged him. My second game was in County Stadium in Milwaukee - Braves vs Giants. Got to see Hank, Willie, Eddie Mathews, etc. - a guy right behind us got a foul ball. I will never forget either of these two ballgames. Great thread.

Jim
  • 1959 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The new Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Chicago Cubs with Ernie Banks.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    13 years old.....1969

KC Royals vs Seattle Pilots, at Sicks Stadium.

Seattle won 5-3, thanks to a rare Ray Olyer HR. I still have the ticket stub.

Go Pilots!!!!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    1959 Connie Mack stadium. Phillies beat the Dodgers 2-1.

<< <i>Seattle won 5-3, thanks to a rare Ray Olyer HR. I still have the ticket stub. >>

Ray Oyler! Favorite player of mine on the 68 Tigers. My brother was a huge Al Kaline fan, so I chose the underdog Oyler to cheer for.

Drove my brother up the wall. image
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seattle won 5-3, thanks to a rare Ray Olyer HR. I still have the ticket stub. >>

Ray Oyler! Favorite player of mine on the 68 Tigers. My brother was a huge Al Kaline fan, so I chose the underdog Oyler to cheer for.

Drove my brother up the wall. image >>

It seems strange that it would bother him, considering that your guy was a total stiff.

<< <i>It seems strange that it would bother him, considering that your guy was a total stiff. >>

....and that was on his best day.

Didn't take much though to impress an 11 year old baseball fan.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Sunday, June 18th, 1978 at Yankee Stadium. The California Angels were in town. It was Burger King Bat Day. I was eight years old. The Angels defeated the Yankees by a score of 3-2. Neither Thurman Munson nor Mickey Rivers played, and Reggie Jackson struck out four times. I still loved every minute of it.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    1989 Dodgers vs. Cubs
    EAC, ANA Member
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    summer of 1971; Orioles played at Yankee Stadium & I remember seeing Frank Robinson play first base that afternoon...

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.