Home Sports Talk

Greatest sports sayings of all time

No mas, no mas !

I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

What else ?

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A riff on the Ali by Joe Frazier:

Float like a butterfly sting like a bee? I'm the one who did the job, ask him, you'll see.

And one of my all-time favorites by Mike Tyson:

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I’m just ferocious. I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!” --Mike Tyson

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    And one my other all time favorites by Gary Templeton, upon learning he was going to be selected as a reserve to the All Star game:

"If I ain't starting, I ain't departing."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    "I tell him 'Attaway to hit, George.'"

- Jim Frey, K.C. Royals manager when asked what advice he gives George
    Brett on hitting.

"I don't know. I only played there for nine years."

- Walt Garrison, Dallas Cowboys fullback when asked if Tom Landry ever smiles

"Blind people come to the ballpark just to listen to him pitch."

- Reggie Jackson commenting on Tom Seaver

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    "If it's the ultimate game, how come they're playing it again next year?".

~Duane Julius Thomas~
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Favorite was Pops Stargell.

They give you a round bat, throw you a round ball and tell you to hit it square.*

*paraphrasing a bit I'm sure...but not much.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't have the exact quote but I believe it was Mike Tyson that said, "Everyone has a game plan until they are punched in the face."
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Speaking of Mike Tyson:

"I was gonna rip his heart out. I'm the best ever. I'm the most brutal and vicious, the most ruthless champion there has ever been. No one can stop me. Lennox is a conqueror? No! He's no Alexander! I'm Alexander! I'm the best ever. I'm Sonny Liston. I'm Jack Dempsey. There's never been anyone like me. I'm from their cloth. There is no one who can match me. My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want his heart! I want to eat his children! Praise be to Allah!"

Video

<< <i>Don't have the exact quote but I believe it was Mike Tyson that said, "Everyone has a game plan until they are punched in the face." >>

Robb, that was Joe Louis:

Everyone has a plan until they've been hit --Joe Louis

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would disagree with a great sports saying if it included the words "I want to eat his children". Sickest most disgusting, maybe but by no means great.

My vote is for "Let's play two".
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He stood there like the house by the side of the road......Ernie Harwell on a called third strike

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Here's another one from Dock Ellis, after getting mixed up on LSD and mistaking the day he was scheduled to pitch as an off day:

"What happened to yesterday??" image

"I just made a touchdown!"

Dock Ellis Clip

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi
    Capecards
  • "Second place is the first loser" Dale Earnhardt
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    "Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma, it is grand salami time!

Mr Dave Niehaus

And, possibly, the most impressive HR Jr ever crushed: Upper Deeeeeeccckkk!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Matt Hasslebeck at the overtime coin flip against the Packers in the playoffs. He won the coin toss and said.

"We want the ball and we're gonna score."

You tube video of it.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Your Hass link is bad

I remember watching that game. I never had faith in that team- or really any Holmgren lead squad. However, that INT was a result of a bad route- and a QB throwing before he looks
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt Hasslebeck at the overtime coin flip against the Packers in the playoffs. He won the coin toss and said.

"We want the ball and we're gonna score."

You tube video of it. >>

I was watching that and after he said it, I said to myself that was a mistake and sure enough lol. Pure awesomeness that it was a pick 6 as well.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From basketball, ................... I have always liked Moses Malone providing the following regarding the Philly 76rs beginning the NBA playoff road that would see the title land in the City Of Brotherly Love ...... "Fo, fo, fo".

He was close to being a prophet. The 76rs lost only one game in the playoffs that year and came close to sweeping their way to a title.

Another favorite stems from Rocky III. Before his rematch with Rocky, Clubber Lang is asked by a reporter for his "prediction" for the fight. Clubber thinks about the question for a moment, turns to the camera and says "Prediction?,........... Pain!"
    Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

--Yogi Berra

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back."

--Steve Garvey

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Batter Up"
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Pittsburgh Penguins announcer.............

"There goes Mario, he's in on a breakaway, he shoots, he scores !!!!!!!!!!!
    Mario beat the goalie like a rented mule."
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back."

--Steve Garvey >>

Ive never heard that one but gotta tell you that is probably the most accurate statement ever made about the current MLB player.

<< <i>

<< <i>"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back."

--Steve Garvey >>

Ive never heard that one but gotta tell you that is probably the most accurate statement ever made about the current MLB player. >>

I'd have to add NFL players as well.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    My vote is for "Let's play two". >>

+1

And add....

"I am the Greatest!"
    "You have to run the ball and stop the run."
    "A tie is like kissing your sister."
    "You can't think and hit at the same time."
    "What the hell's going on out here!!!!"
    "[Halas] ...throws nickels around like they're manhole covers."

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

--Steve Garvey >>

Ive never heard that one but gotta tell you that is probably the most accurate statement ever made about the current MLB player. >>

I'd have to add NFL players as well. >>

Honestly Matt would say its safe to say we can add all Athletes.

BTW HI MATT image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

--Steve Garvey >>

I'd have to add NFL players as well. >>

Honestly Matt would say its safe to say we can add all Athletes.

BTW HI MATT image >>

Yep

Good evening Paul image

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't have the exact quote but I believe it was Mike Tyson that said, "Everyone has a game plan until they are punched in the face." >>

Everyone has a plan until they've been hit --Joe Louis >>

Looked online and Tyson has said it as I remember...........obviously a similar quote.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”

― Mike Tyson
    tags: boxing, planning
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>

<< <i>

Looked online and Tyson has said it as I remember...........obviously a similar quote.

― Mike Tyson
    tags: boxing, planning >>

So Tyson basically stole The Bronx Bomber's quote, LOL..

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

― Mike Tyson
    tags: boxing, planning >>

So Tyson basically stole The Bronx Bomber's quote, LOL.. >>

He did and then immediately began to fade into Bolivian.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Some good ones from 'Ole Casey:

"Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa."

"We (the Mets) are a much improved ball club, now we lose in extra innings!"

"You have to have a catcher, otherwise you will have a lot of passed balls."

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think you mean "Brown Bomber".

<< <i>

<< <i>

I think you mean "Brown Bomber". >>

Yes, cross sports sensory overload, LOL!

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm just about that action, boss. - Marshawn Lynch
    Borderline sports "related"....."Rich people don't write checks, straight cash homey." Randy Moss. I think that one is funny.
    Being a wrestling coach for many years I use Vince Lombardi and his quote of "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
    this one from Guy's (boopotts) sigline has been a favorite of mine for awhile.....

"Playing baseball is great. Watching baseball sucks."

Kevin Youkilis
  • Mike Schmidt once said,

"To those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who don't understand, no explanation will suffice."

I thought that was deep.
  • There was a running back from the Jets a few years ago who said after playing the Bengals....

"I would like to thank the fans from the great state of Cincinnati for applauding me after setting that record."
  • "Less filling.....Tastes Great !!!"
    "You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him."

didn't know until i Wiki'ed that Dan Patrick and/or Keith Olbermann had paraphrased this quote from the movie The Blob, at least according to current folklore.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite all times sports sayings/quotes is from Bill Shankly; longtime manager of Liverpool in the English Premier League.

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Jimmy Johnson:

"When you go up against a big gorilla, you don't hit him lightly. You hit him with everything you got!"

"If you're gonna talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk"

And of course my all time favorite:

"How 'bout them Cowboys!"
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    "We were just two players short of being a contender: Babe Ruth and Sandy Koufax."

Whitey Herzog
    Capecards
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who couldn't hear that ball hit the wall must be blind!

Yogi Berra
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    "I’m ready to go in coach, just give me a chance.
    I know there’s a lot of riding on it, but it’s all psychological.
    Just gotta stay in a positive frame of mind."

Ace Venture, Pet Detective

Lol
  • To Johnny Damon after he got traded from the Red Sox to Yankees.

Looks like Jesus
    Acts like Judas
    Throws like Mary
  • "He (Darryl Strawberry) is not a dog; a dog is loyal and runs after balls.".... Tommy Lasorda