Home Sports Talk
Options

first trip to yankee stadium in late june! any advice?

pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
my buddy and i are planning a weekend trip to ny and nj at the end of june...gonna hit up the redsox/yankees game on friday night, then head down to asbury park, nj after the game for a primus concert at the stone pony on saturday...this is my first trip to a yankee game(and NYC), and to the jersey shore area as well...any tips/advice on things to do(or not to do), places to eat, best places to park, ect....thanks! -phillip

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    New York is insanely cool and unlike any other city in America.

Been a few decades since my last visit so much has changed, but at the least, take the boat ride over to the Statue of Liberty.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Eat pizza.......and go to AC

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was somewhere online where you can clearly read ALL the plaques/monuments/retired number plaques. And whatever happened to the original monuments that were in the outfield of the original Yankee Stadium? You can clearly tell the current Ruth/Gehrig/Huggins monuments are NOT the originals.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to arrive early and visit the New York Yankees Museum when you are in Yankee Stadium. As far as places to visit, I am not sure what you are interested in. There are a lot of things to see in New York City. I would not recommend the Statue of Liberty unless you are willing to spend an entire day there. You are better off taking a subway to 34th Street and visiting the Empire State Building if you want to go the tourist route. You may also want to consider riding the Cyclone at Coney Island. There are also lots of very cool museums to visit that are scattered all around town.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    John's Pizzeria in the theater district is a favorite of mine for pizza. It's in an old theater building and has cool ambience as well as great pizza. I agree with the Statue of Liberty thing unless you want to spend a whole day there. A better option for me (did this with my dad the last time I was up there a couple of years ago) is to ride the Staten Island ferry which gets pretty close to the Statue of Liberty and you can turn around and come right back on the next ferry.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I went to Mama Leone's for a great italian feast when I was there but that was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    There are literally hundreds of things to do/see in NYC...it all depends on what you are into.

My only piece of advice would be take the subway wherever possible. It is easiest subway system to navigate, and much cheaper than taking cabs all around the city.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not a good idea to wear anything related to the Red Sox. image

Blend is what I'd do and enjoy the game.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    Me and a friend of mine went to a Yankees Red Sox game and sat in the bleachers in the old stadium. One of the more interesting sports experiences I've ever had! image

Saw three Red Sox fans get tossed for getting into scuffles with Yankees fans. Amazing how it was just the Red Sox fans getting tossed, huh? Lol.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    They should not have drawn negative attention to themselves in such a sacred location. image
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice guys...im getting pumped for the trip!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think the 3 original monuments are still being used, just polished up.

Text
    Good for you.