Home Sports Talk
Options

Augusta National -- SCAN HEAVY

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have watched The Masters religiously for ~35 years. Today, for the first time in my life, I walked the hallowed grounds. I'm in a state of euphoria right now, and if this feeling wears off I'm going to be pissed. If you dig golf, you understand. If you don't, you don't.

I was limited to three+ hours this morning due to inclement weather, but during that time I raided the merchandise, walked the entire back nine and dined for a grand total of $5 (the absolute best pimento cheese sandwich I've ever consumed, a banana, the absolute best chocolate chip cookie I've ever consumed, and a soda).

I'm very fortunate in that a second day looms ahead. The weather is supposed to improve by leaps and bounds, thus I plan on aging my camera tomorrow. I will include my view of the course as soon as I make it back to Texas.

Quick take: the elevation swings on this golf course put my comprehension to the test. I knew Augusta National was comprised of hilly terrain, but in truth it's an insane tract of land. It makes the most daunting roller coaster look silly, and it's impossible to fully grasp that while viewing the course on television.

I believe jdip is here as well, so definitely feel free to include photos if you read this, my brother from another mother.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Man you are in Golf heaven.

Keep us updated.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So cool....it's on my bucket list for sure. I can't even imagine what's it's like walking that course.

Wonderful observations .... things ... as you say, that can't be grasped on a TV broadcast.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    It's GREAT to see a fellow board member experiencing their "once in a lifetime experience". I hope today is even more enjoyable than yesterday. Can't wait to see the pictures.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see pics! Meanwhile I'll have to continue to enjoy Augusta from my Xbox's Tiger Woods Golf game. image
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report.
    Well done.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

<< <i>I can't wait to see pics! Meanwhile I'll have to continue to enjoy Augusta from my Xbox's Tiger Woods Golf game. image >>

Tiger Woods may be enjoying it from the same place. image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    On my list!
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. When I take down the Powerball, you'll all be receiving week-long passes to the '15 Masters. Simply put, it's something that must be experienced.

Day two was just ridiculous. Most fun I've ever had on a golf course, and I didn't even swing a stick. First off, I witnessed Mike Weir dunking one for an ace on 16. And if that wasn't enough, standing next to me while it happened was none other than Michael Collins, former caddie and current Senior Golf Analyst for ESPN. Have no clue why he was masquerading as a patron, but I'm certainly glad he did. Dude is as cool as the other side of the pillow, and is funny as hell to boot. We talked golf for about 15 minutes and then he had to jet, but that quarter hour was about as enlightening as it gets.

And speaking of 16, one of the many traditions at Augusta is what players do after they hit their tee shots during practice rounds on that hole. They must -- and I mean MUST -- walk to the front of the lengthy pond and attempt to skip a ball onto the green. Not only does it reveal a human side, but it also turns the hole into a veritable block party. Roars, cheers and laughter rule the day. Upon watching numerous balls glide across the water and hop onto the green to within 10-15 feet, I was quickly reminded time and again why these guys are professional golfers.

A short time after Weir's hole-in-one I caught something with my own two eyes that was arguably more remarkable: Ian Woosnam damn near coming up empty with his drive on 17. I kid you not, he barely grazed the top of the ball and it went roughly 10 feet. Talk about awkward -- onlookers were too stunned to chuckle. Don't be surprised if he fails to break 90 on Thurs or Fri.

Next post (prob Thurs) will be laden with photography.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they end up losing one of their most iconic trees to a storm a short time ago? I bet it was a bummer not getting to see that, huh?

One thing I don't understand...Masters champs get a distinctive green jacket...why don't the other three major golf tournaments have anything like that? Just like how the wreath of roses for the Kentucky Derby winner is very famous and iconic but the Preakness and Belmont have their own distinctive wreaths of flowers for the horse who wins those races as well (Preakness has flowers that resemble black-eyed Susans, Maryland's state flower, and Belmont uses white carnations).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    galaxy - I was there on Monday, too. It was by far the most organized event (sporting or otherwise) that I've ever attended. EVERYTHING is catered to having the best fan experience possible. With 20,000+ people on the course, you'd think there would be lines everywhere, but they have it down to such a science that you never have to wait for anything. It is impossible to overstate how friendly all of the volunteers are, too.

Was lucky enough to arrive early, and get my shopping done (patrons that were saving that for the end of the day were shut out - I feel bad for them). We walked holes 1-5 and most of the back 9. Went to the range for 10-15 minutes while Rory and Speith were hitting balls. Unfortunately, the fog was too thick to get a good appreciation of the shape of their shots.

Too busy today to post pics, but will try to do so in the next few days.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Bet it's an awesome experience and hope y'all are having a blast!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Here are SOME of the pictures I took this past Monday and Tuesday at The Masters. With copious sunshine since I left, word has it that the azaleas will really come to life and the course will look even better over the weekend. Enjoy!

Entrance at 5:30 am (couldn't walk in until 7)

Practice area

Butler cabin - where the green jacket is donned

#2 green

Rickie Fowler on #3 green

#4 green

Phil on #7

Bubba Watson's miraculous shot on #10 came from this area to win the '12 Masters. That's right, you can't even see the green.

Tee on #11

#11 green

#11 & #12 greens……and the famed Hogan bridge.

#12 green

Rory on #12

Sergio

Bernhard Langer ogling Vijay Singh's ass

Harris English

#13 fairway looking back at #12 green

#13 fairway

Lee Westwood walking up #13 fairway

#13 green

#14 green - diabolical

Jim Furyk on #15

#15 green

Sarazen bridge on #15

#16 green

When you pick the ball out of the hole with the pin still in, that's always a good thing. Mike Weir retrieving his ace on #16.

Look very closely at the guy in the blue shirt (top right) acting as if he just won The Masters. When Weir tossed his hole-in-one ball toward the patrons, that dude hopped the rope and snagged it. About 2 seconds later, he had a Masters official all up in his grill.

I mentioned players skipping balls across the pond on #16 after their tee shots. Here's Ian Poulter doing just that.

Pine cone representing where the Eisenhower tree once stood on #17 fairway.

Left to right: #7, #3, #2

The colossal leaderboard near #1

Justin Rose putting on #18

Matt Kuchar on #18

#10 green - where Adam Scott won the '13 Masters

#11- left of the fairway

#10 - near the green looking back toward the fairway

Last but not least, the menu(!)
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Wow...Thank you for the beautiful pix!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed those pics!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Goodness, talk about eye candy. I'd love to attend with my wife some day
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I don't watch golf at all but I still appreciate the photo tour. Well done.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WOW....great shots of Phil.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Great pics, Galaxy...you really got some great vantage points (behind 12 is a great view).....Here's a handful more pics...

Arrival at 6:45AM....

Running WILL NOT be tolerated! (which I learned from a staffer after running for 3 steps to catch up with my buddies)

Rory on the range...

Spieth and Watson talking on the range....

Hole #1 Green....

Fairway at #10 (picture still doesn't do justice to this hill)....

Mowing the 14th green...

#16 green....
  • Options
    Oh man, I love the masters!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing, j!

Your 6:45 am pic -- were you at Gate 6A or 9?

And you're not kidding about #10......my favorite hole on the golf course!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing guys. GREAT photos!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.