Home Sports Talk

2014 Red Sox!!!!

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
Im still excited about the suprise campain last year so expectations are higher for this season much more than last year however ZERO stress about anything, fresh off a World Series win Im going to enjoy the Sox this season.

Go Sox!!!! image

Comments

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to both you and my Bostonian better half in defending your title! Meanwhile my boys are only two wins away from adding one of their own! Best of luck to both!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game 1...

RISP 10
    LOB 12
    runs scored 1
    Lose 2-1

Pretty unimpressive to me.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Game 1...

RISP 10
    LOB 12
    runs scored 1
    Lose 2-1

Pretty unimpressive to me. >>

watched the whole game and agree that the result was unimpressive. However, the formula works...put men on base, see a lot of pitches, and let the chips fall. They keep getting the starters out after five innings due to hits and walks, they're going to win their share.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Win # 1 today

GO SOX !!!

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Western Connecticut as both a New York Yankees fan and a New England Patriots fan. Don Mattingly and Tony Eason were my favorite players back then. Go figure. Good luck anyway Perkdog.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    The Red Sox continue to flounder...now getting swept by the Brewers in Fenway.

Ortiz makes the ludicrous comment that the reason they got beat in all 3 games was "the unfamiliarity with National league pitchers". Really Dave, REALLY?? !!!!! Pretty lame excuse, to say the least...aren't they paying you a gazillion dollars PER GAME just to hit a baseball ? I would think there was more than ample info available to Red Sox players as to the pitching styles of all the Brewer's pitching staff. Better you had said we got whipped and we're gonna figure this thing out and do better.

What will his excuse be when facing other teams? I won't go into my normal RISP, LOB thing...the stats are there for all to see.

Unless they catch some kind of spark and put a few wins together, it's gonna be a LOOOOOONG season. So much talent, so little results.

Strap in, here come the Rangers!

<< <i>I grew up in Western Connecticut as both a New York Yankees fan and a New England Patriots fan. Don Mattingly and Tony Eason were my favorite players back then. Go figure. Good luck anyway Perkdog. >>

Thanks Mikey!

<< <i>The Red Sox continue to flounder...now getting swept by the Brewers in Fenway.

Ortiz makes the ludicrous comment that the reason they got beat in all 3 games was "the unfamiliarity with National league pitchers". Really Dave, REALLY?? !!!!! Pretty lame excuse, to say the least...aren't they paying you a gazillion dollars PER GAME just to hit a baseball ? I would think there was more than ample info available to Red Sox players as to the pitching styles of all the Brewer's pitching staff. Better you had said we got whipped and we're gonna figure this thing out and do better.

What will his excuse be when facing other teams? I won't go into my normal RISP, LOB thing...the stats are there for all to see.

Unless they catch some kind of spark and put a few wins together, it's gonna be a LOOOOOONG season. So much talent, so little results.

Strap in, here come the Rangers! >>

Al the season is a week old my friend!
    didn't read about that excuse. Must be the same reason the Sox whipped STL last year
    Paul,

I get that the season is just one week old...my point is the wussy-axxed excuse Ortiz is trying to sell.
    They don't look like champs to me. When you get it handed to you, be a man and admit it. They obviously have something wrong to be playing so poorly.

I hope they snap out of it, but I kinda tell it like it is...and right now 2-4, with Lester 0-2, ain't cuttin it.

Hey Barndog...google almost anything Red Sox, and read for yourself Ortiz's lame BS.

Take care Paul...I hope they have a winning season, but they look kinda rocky to me.

<< <i>Paul,

I get that the season is just one week old...my point is the wussy-axxed excuse Ortiz is trying to sell.
    They don't look like champs to me. When you get it handed to you, be a man and admit it. They obviously have something wrong to be playing so poorly.

I hope they snap out of it, but I kinda tell it like it is...and right now 2-4, with Lester 0-2, ain't cuttin it.

Hey Barndog...google almost anything Red Sox, and read for yourself Ortiz's lame BS.

Take care Paul...I hope they have a winning season, but they look kinda rocky to me. >>

Im an apoligist for Ortiz and I will tell you why, over the years this guy has bled Red Sox Red and the way I see it Red Sox Nation OWES it to papi to give the guy his contract and allow him to retire a Red Sox, bottom line I know he isnt worth the money nor do I think he brings much to the table anymore but in Baseball where all the stupid BS money that gets thrown around to players who are lame and dont deserve it I feel that its owed to Big Papi for what he has done for the organization, heck I dont even care if they have a winning season this year because last year they straight up outdid themselves.

<< <i>

<< <i>Paul,

Take care Paul...I hope they have a winning season, but they look kinda rocky to me. >>

Im an apoligist for Ortiz and I will tell you why, over the years this guy has bled Red Sox Red and the way I see it Red Sox Nation OWES it to papi to give the guy his contract and allow him to retire a Red Sox, bottom line I know he isnt worth the money nor do I think he brings much to the table anymore but in Baseball where all the stupid BS money that gets thrown around to players who are lame and dont deserve it I feel that its owed to Big Papi for what he has done for the organization, heck I dont even care if they have a winning season this year because last year they straight up outdid themselves. >>

I like the way the Patriots are run. It's a business and should be run that way. Pats fans LOVE Vince Wilfork, but if he didn't re-do his contract, he would have been gone. I hope baseball gets smart and does the same thing. Ellsbury to NYY, part of the business of baseball. No loyalties by players or teams to other than the dollar.
    The Yanks dropped two to Houston. Must have been the National League pitching. I agree that Big Papi should be paid. I will post my explanation when I get some free time since it is pretty complicated.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    It ain't the money...IT'S THE BS EXCUSE FOR PLAYING POORLY.

And we fans owe Ortiz NADA. He lives a , life most of us could only dream of. He has been paid exceptionally well by the Red Sox to perform, and he has performed very well for the Red Sox organization. No, I don't think he's worth what they pay him, but he gets what he gets because of past performance. He lives like an uber-king in Punta Cana.

AGAIN... it was the lame rationale for the Brewers kicking their backsides in Fenway.

If you want to see what I wrote differently, that's fine.

And Barndog is spot on...it's all about the coin. So, does Ellsbury get booed or cheered when he returns? Honestly, I just don't care...good on him for making what he does.

<< <i>It ain't the money...IT'S THE BS EXCUSE FOR PLAYING POORLY.

And we fans owe Ortiz NADA. He lives a , life most of us could only dream of. He has been paid exceptionally well by the Red Sox to perform, and he has performed very well for the Red Sox organization. No, I don't think he's worth what they pay him, but he gets what he gets because of past performance. He lives like an uber-king in Punta Cana.

AGAIN... it was the lame rationale for the Brewers kicking their backsides in Fenway.

If you want to see what I wrote differently, that's fine.

And Barndog is spot on...it's all about the coin. So, does Ellsbury get booed or cheered when he returns? Honestly, I just don't care...good on him for making what he does. >>

Al I get what your saying as well as Barndog and as far as Ellsbury is concerned I dont care either, he is an injury waiting to happen no reason to boo him when he returns as he served us well.

As far as liking the way the Pats are run? Barndog are you out of your mind? The only reason we havnt won a Super Bowl since god knows when is because of the way they run that bussines, Kraft is as cheap as they come, now all of a sudden he sees that Brady might only have a few good years left and now he wants to bring in talent? F Him he should have gave him a freaking team while he was at the top of his game.

Bottom line Im not a fan of what Ortiz said, but I still like him for what he has done over the years.
    I wouldn't call the Pats cheap. The stats don't bear it out. No team flies way under cap. They've made the choice to not reward past performance and avoid large guaranteed money to veterans other than Brady. They run it like a business.

The reason they lost those superbowls? Awful coaching by Bill

<< <i>I wouldn't call the Pats cheap. The stats don't bear it out. No team flies way under cap. They've made the choice to not reward past performance and avoid large guaranteed money to veterans other than Brady. They run it like a business.

The reason they lost those superbowls? Awful coaching by Bill >>

I do agree that Coaching was a factor however You cannot say that the lack of decent defensive players didnt play a role, not to mention thae complete joke of a WR corps Brady had this past year.
    Am I the only one who had no idea where this baseball went to when I watched it yesterday on MLB Network?

Big Papi

<< <i>Am I the only one who had no idea where this baseball went to when I watched it yesterday on MLB Network?

Big Papi >>

the television coverage was awful on that homer. Glad it happened. Need more of it!
    Well, we've reached the cellar of the AL East Division. After 14 games, the Sox are 5-9 and 3 back.

So, we'll blame cold weather for the Bogaerts' clinker...but should we? Peavey throwing well in the tundra by the lake and all the team can do is a tater by Nava? Where is the offense?

Gonna be a long...L-O-N-G season...yeah, I know, 148 to go, but where's the spark?

At this stage, I'll predict a season finish mid-way in the AL East...I was wrong last year, I hope I'm wrong again. Glad I didn't renew my MLB baseball package this year!!
    I havnt even been paying attention, just checking the scores basically. We did luck out at least that Pedroia got good news on his wrist though.

Either way too early to tell how it will shake out.
    I like your optimism Paul...must be that salt air. image

Take care,

Al
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    It is still to early to be sure, but my sense watching this team is that it reminds me of a fat man who just finished a big meal at the best restaurant in town, and now he is satisfied, has nowhere better to go, and has lost his appetite.

Also, is it my imagination, or did everyone else in the AL east make major upgrades during the off-season, except the Bosox, who if anything dropped down a notch with the loss of a sparkplug named Ellsbury?

Wake me up in July if the Sox are still in contention.
    Capecards
    a let down after a championship season is pretty common in ALL major sports. Still early, but time will tell.

They had to face an infielder before they could put together a couple of runs last night image
    Weak offense tonight but Lester was an ace. Every win counts!
    As does every loss!
    another stinker!
    Ortiz "scheduled night off"?...TOTAL BS!

Carp at first ... DUMB!! Napoli is the firstbaseman. DH Carp in that situation. With Napoli you get offense and defense.

Infield (except for Pedroia) is a train wreck.

SINKING SHIP !!!!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ortiz "scheduled night off"?...TOTAL BS!

Carp at first ... DUMB!! Napoli is the firstbaseman. DH Carp in that situation. With Napoli you get offense and defense.

Infield (except for Pedroia) is a train wreck.

SINKING SHIP !!!! >>

Bailing on your team not even a month into the season yet? Jeez.

BTW, Ortiz homered today and you guys won..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    If they are playing poorly I have no qualms about posting my thoughts. AND, they're playing poorly.

Perhaps Ortiz might have helped the team, and perhaps homered at a key time last night as well...had the manager put him in the lineup.

Not bailing on the team, lost opportunities like lots of RISPs and LOBs that get stranded do speak volumes to me. Other stats as well, but the bottom line is that they're not a cohesive team. Other than 2nd base, the infield alone is a still developing.

It would be nice to see them win 3 or 4 in a row and get something going...getting swept by the Brewers, and win one, lose one isn't going to see the Red Sox in post season play.

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Awesome game yesterday, with the pregame ceremony and the great rally to win.

Sometimes a game is more than a game.
    Capecards
    Great comeback win for Boston. Although it took an error by the Os to score Pedroia...no error, who knows.

A win today would be special...then come the Yankees...we'll see if this team has turned the corner.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    They give you 100% all the time, thats all you can ask.
    Opportunity lost.

Bogaerts needs to spend some time at single A Lowell Spinners and learn some basic base running...only 40 miles north of Boston.

A sterling comeback that falls short...shouldh've been a W !!
    Not too late to sign Drew and return Bogaerts tp lowell.
    As I expected, the Yankees whipped us pretty good last night...and Ellsbury the main contributor.

Unfortunately, what would have been very classy by the Red Sox fans to give Ellsbury a standing ovation, they (not all, but the majority), chose to boo him. He's human, and I'm sure it hurt. If somebody waved $156 million in front of my face, I'd sign too.

I've been a Red Sox fan for a LONG, LONG time...the treatment of Ellsbury last night was uber bush league.
    I agree completely. Ellsbury did not deserve what he got. The Red Sox could have kept him, they had their chance but decided to go the cheap route. They got away with going the cheap route last year but their answer to losing Ells,Drew and salty have not been a good one. Almost as good is never as good.
    Although I agree that booing Ellsbury was not completely deserved it wasnt all that bad, I mean the guy jumped ship to the Yankees what do you expect? Dont get me wrong I would have done the EXACT same thing and took the money however dont think for one second it bothered him in the least, he got paid big money and that is all these guys care about.
    Gotta disagree Paul...

The Red Sox couldh've ponied the coin for Ellsbury and chose not to. I understand he went to the Yankees, but so what, a bunch of others did the same thing.

If I had been in the Red Sox front office, I wouldh've recommended a brief montage of Ellsbury's time with the Red Sox...maybe play the theme from Rocky and finish with a huge Thank You Jacoby!!! Easily done between innings.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got one word before you'all start in - "Buchholz". image

I'm so glad baseball is back. This is fun.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

<< <i>I've got one word before you'all start in - "Buchholz". image

I'm so glad baseball is back. This is fun. >>

You mean Sucholz
    Nothing but crickets from "Red Sox fans"...where's the dialog? Seems like I' m the only one posting when it's good or bad. Startin' to worry about you guys, can't just always jump in when things are going well. And, things ain't going well right now.

Hey Sparky...it's "ya'll"...I didn't quite get the rest of your post.

Oh yeah...14-5, with FIVE errors. First time in 13 years they have pulled that off. Doubront now 1-3, ERA 6.0...send him down too!! Carp as a pitcher? Really????

From David Ross "THAT'S AS BAD AS WE CAN PLAY" "THAT'S A TERRIBLE GAME TO BE A PART OF. THAT'S NOT BIG LEAGUE BASEBALL".

Well, they're 10-13...far from championship performance!!

ha ha...nothing to say. Uninspired baseball thus far. Trying for the trifecta of worst to first to worst?
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Sparky...it's "ya'll"...I didn't quite get the rest of your post. >>

I posted that about 10 seconds after Pineda was tossed for pine tar.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

nice to see Buchholz settle down after an awful first and then have his team pick him up with a few runs
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I expected, the Yankees whipped us pretty good last night...and Ellsbury the main contributor.

Unfortunately, what would have been very classy by the Red Sox fans to give Ellsbury a standing ovation, they (not all, but the majority), chose to boo him. He's human, and I'm sure it hurt. If somebody waved $156 million in front of my face, I'd sign too.

I've been a Red Sox fan for a LONG, LONG time...the treatment of Ellsbury last night was uber bush league. >>

If he had joined any other team I would absolutely agree...but he did go to the Yankees by his own free will (I'm sure there were other teams that made similar offers) so like it or not, those who booed him considered him a traitor and treated him as such.

Incidentally, when Wade Boggs went to the Yankees was he considered a traitor too and was he booed when he came back to Fenway as a Yankee for the first time? I only ask because my wife likes him (even after he "jumped ship").

And how come there's been all these Red Sox going to the Yankees...but no Yankees going to the Red Sox?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    Hey Estil...IT'S A BUSINESS, no more, no less. Get over the traitor thing, that is beyond lame. We, as fans, don't own the players, they go where the money is best for them, Yankees or not. Do I like it? Not particularly, but I'm damn happy for Ellsbury...AND, all but predicted he would be a contributor in kicking butt in Fenway...and he did.

Wade Boggs, and every other player went for the bucks...they have no loyalty to anyone but their wallet. Damon got booed because he made the statement "Ther's no way I can go play for the Yankees", and pretty soon thereafter, he was. Oh, Youkilis...well, he's playing in Japan. Clemens? Well, the then GM basically told him he was over the hill. Boggs is still hated in Boston because he rode on the back of a NYPD horse when the Yankees won the WS. Why so many went from Bos to NY? $$$$$$$$$$!!!

Nobody can expect a player to stay with one team for his entire career, that's just foolish thinking. Cherington and John Henry apparently looked at all the metrics and passed on Ellsbury...so, in your head, Ellsbury is a "traitor" for grabbing $153m? Really? At least Ellsbury had enough class to place a full page ad in the Globe thanking teammates and fans...I say good on ya Jacoby, you're a classy guy, I wish Boston had been a bit kinder to you when you returned.

BTW, no team offered Ellsbury a "similar" offer. Who is gonna pass up $156m for 7?...NOBODY.
    The Yankees historically have never minded shelling out stupid money for players more so than the Sox, especially ones that the Red Sox were courting. Trust me they enjoy slapping us in the face by drawing our hometown heroes into pin stripes and dont mind spending extra.

Im happy the Yankees signed Ellsbury for that contract, I dont care what any of you say Ellsbury will be fine now but he will brake down and get hurt and that contract wont be worth it for them in the long run.

Bottom line the Sox are the team to beat not the Yankees, over the last 10 years we got 3 World Series rings to the Yankees 1
    Ah yes, the Red Sox terrible start.

I agree that they have $ucked to start the season but do expect them to turn it around shortly.

They are only 3 games behind and that is nothing to overcome with this much time left in the season.

They started the season without Victorino, Middlebrooks, and Uehara basically.

I predict they will get it together.

<< <i>Ah yes, the Red Sox terrible start.

I agree that they have $ucked to start the season but do expect them to turn it around shortly.

They are only 3 games behind and that is nothing to overcome with this much time left in the season.

They started the season without Victorino, Middlebrooks, and Uehara basically.

I predict they will get it together. >>

I predict they will make it "Interesting" but your right, pretty solid stuff only being 3 out while having those three guys out.