Home Sports Talk

The Greatest QB Of All Time

lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
Somebody please explain to me how Donovan McNadd made it to the 3rd round of the greatest qb of all time poll on nfl.com?

link

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    It's obviously going to come down to Brady vs Montana.

I'm kinda torn on who to vote for when it comes to them. I'm inclined to go with Brady seeing how he still got the job done winning 3 titles with "no names" in the wr positions. He also has more passing yds and tds than Montana.

We all know Montana had Rice and Taylor but it seems to me he still would have found a way to win without them as evidenced by winning sb's XVI and XIX.

Montana's passing yards and Tds....40,551, 273

Brady's passing yards and Td's....49,149, 359

Montana played 15 years but only started 1 game in his rookie year. He also only played in one game in 1992. So really he played 13 seasons.

Brady has played 13 seasons but also only played in one game during his rookie year. He also sat out almost the entire 2008 season due to injury during the first game of the season. So his stats have basically been accumulated during 11 seasons.

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Best pure passer was Marino. Best all around QB was Elway.

Best moving the ball and winning titles was Montana.

Best at marrying a supermodel was Brady.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Somebody please explain to me how Donovan McNadd made it to the 3rd round of the greatest qb of all time poll on nfl.com?
    link >>

People don't tend to take online polls too seriously. Take a look at the first round of voting.

Remember when "Hank, the Angry Drunken Dwarf" won a People magazine "Most Beautiful" online poll?
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Montana, no question in my mind. I'd rank Brady 3rd after Manning, and Elway 4th.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best pure passer was Marino. Best all around QB was Elway.

Best moving the ball and winning titles was Montana.

Best at marrying a supermodel was Brady. >>

Steve Young absolutely blows Elway away as far as "Best All around QB"

Motana was best at winning titles with a phenominal team around him, Brady is the best at winning titles without a phenominal team around him.

<< <i> Brady is the best at winning titles without a phenominal team around him. >>

He does have the best video crew in the business though.......image

<< <i>

<< <i> Brady is the best at winning titles without a phenominal team around him. >>

He does have the best video crew in the business though.......image >>

JUST WIN BABY!!!!! image

After rethinking my post I shouldnt say Young blows Elway away though, I think he was just better.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because 95% that responded were not around to see Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh play.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

<< <i>Probably because 95% that responded were not around to see Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh play. >>

....or Johnny Unitas.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably because 95% that responded were not around to see Otto Graham or Sammy Baugh play. >>

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

In that gritty era I think Steve Young would have outshined both of them.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not forget about Tarkenton, he rarely gets mentioned, but he played on not only lousy teams at the beginning of his career, but then he played for Bud Grant for the last half of his playing days.

The 1960's Vikings and Giants simply STUNK. The 1970's Vikings were all about defense.

Not winning a Super Bowl (shouldn't) kills Fran.

Edited to add; forgot to mention he was first in the big three categories when he retired.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Aaron Rogers and not Brett Favre?????????????????????????????????????????????
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant marketing gimmick by the NFL during a slow-ish time of the off season.

Gannon over Favre in the first round but loses to McNabb in the second. Pure awesomeness.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    For the most part it is a complete waste of time trying to determine who is the "best ever" at almost any position in any sport.

Stuff like this can be fun, but there is no way to really PROVE who was the best, most popular maybe, but not the best.

<< <i>Stuff like this can be fun, but there is no way to really PROVE who was the best, most popular maybe, but not the best. >>

That's what makes it enjoyable. Impossible to prove the point.

Much easier to prove a fact, such as who is the MLB career home run leader.

Hank Aaron, of course. image

<< <i>

Gannon over Favre in the first round but loses to McNabb in the second. Pure awesomeness.

image >>

Haha!!

100% has to do with everyone's disdain for Favre.

From the true Packers fans that he stuck it to down to the rest of the country that grew tired of his flip-flopping and sausage texting lol.
    I did not forget Tarkenton... just started earlier and did not get to the 1960s and 70s.

I remember seeing Tarkenton scramble and often wondered how he managed to survive half the time... He makes my list of the top 5 best QB scramblers.

• Montana #1. He played when Qb's didn't wear skirts, and defense was part of the NFL.

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Haha!!

100% has to do with everyone's disdain for Favre.

From the true Packers fans that he stuck it to down to the rest of the country that grew tired of his flip-flopping and sausage texting lol. >>

The trolls win if McNabb beats Unitas and to be honest, kinda hoping that happens.

edited: Just checked and McNabb is currently winning 70 to 30.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McNabb shouldn't be on any list except the "Most overrated QB" list.

Like someone else already said ....it's impossible to prove who is the all time best at anything......except Jordan at BBall.

I personally would pick Montana, Elway, P. Manning, Marino and S. Young as the top 5. Just top 5...not in any order.
    So far Unitas over Montana 75% - 25% in the final round.
  • Roger Staubach was not only the greatest QB, but the greatest FOOTBALL player I ever saw play the game.

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

<< <i>So far Unitas over Montana 75% - 25% in the final round. >>

McNabb didn't beat Unitas?!?!?

RIGGED!

• MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Donovan McNabb did more for the Philadelphia Eagles in the eleven years that he was their quarterback than any other player did for them in the history of the franchise. His numbers speak volumes. He is not the best quarterback in NFL history, however. I pick Tom Brady.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

• << <i>Donovan McNabb did more for the Philadelphia Eagles in the eleven years that he was their quarterback than any other player did for them in the history of the franchise. >>

While McNabb was a very good quality QB, This Statement is simply not true.

HOFer's Steve Van Buren, Norm Van Brocklin and Chuck Bednairk are the most fabeled players in the Franchise's history.

They brought 3 Championships to Philadelphia, Including back to back Titles in 48 and 49. Not even close as McNabb likely won't
    make it to the HOF.
  • MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Corncobb. I was referring to the Super Bowl era.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
    McNabb's best work was done in the Chunky Soup commercials

• << <i>Montana #1. He played when Qb's didn't wear skirts, and defense was part of the NFL. >>

+1

• << <i>Sorry Corncobb. I was referring to the Super Bowl era. >>

No Apologies are warranted here. we're just talkin football. That being said, Even in the Super Bowl era I would still disagree.

The Eagles 1980 Super Bowl Team included many beloved Eagle players The "Polish Rifle Ron Jaworski, Harold Carmichael, Herman Edwards and
    the great Wilbert Montgomery. Let us not forget Randall Cunningham and Reggie White as well. So while Yes Donovan McNabb is one of the All-Time Great Eagle Names.
    I would go as far as saying he done more for the Franchise than any of the other Eagle Greats.

• << <i>I did not forget Tarkenton... just started earlier and did not get to the 1960s and 70s.

I remember seeing Tarkenton scramble and often wondered how he managed to survive half the time... He makes my list of the top 5 best QB scramblers. >>

He makes my top five of the most over rated QB's of all-Time.

To be fair he was a pretty decent QB who threw for a lot of ATT and YRDS. He was just simply to inconsistant and unable to perform with greatest when it counted.
    His inability to move the ball is largley the reason for 3 Super Bowl loses where the Vikings were never really even a threat to win any of them.

In fact he possibly posted the worst ever Super Bowl performances and Stats of all-time.

In Three Super Bowl Games he Threw 6 ints against only 1 cosmedic TD and posted what has to be an all-time record low 14.1 rating (How is that even Possible?)

Yes he is considered an all-time great with Many NFL passing records, but I think has more to do with longivty than anything else, AKA(Brett Farve)

With the biggest game of the Year coming tommorow you can choose any QB in NFL history that you feel gives you the best chance....... Nobody is gonna Pick Fran... and rightfully so.

One of the most overrated All-Time Greats ever in IMHO

I want the guy who gives me the best percentage chance of winning. ONLY 4 QB's in the history of football have a Winning % over .700 (Tarkenton .531)

Tom Brady .775
    Sid Luckman .763
    Roger Staubach .746
    Joe Montana .713

I like my odds with these guys

just sayin

<< <i>

<< <i>I did not forget Tarkenton... just started earlier and did not get to the 1960s and 70s.

I remember seeing Tarkenton scramble and often wondered how he managed to survive half the time... He makes my list of the top 5 best QB scramblers. >>

To be fair he was a pretty decent QB who threw for a lot of ATT and YRDS. He was just simply to inconsistant and unable to perform with greatest when it counted.
    His inability to move the ball is largley the reason for 3 Super Bowl loses where the Vikings were never really even a threat to win any of them.

In fact he possibly posted the worst ever Super Bowl performances and Stats of all-time.

In Three Super Bowl Games he Threw 6 ints against only 1 cosmedic TD and posted what has to be an all-time record low 14.1 rating (How is that even Possible?)

I am assuming you never saw him play. He was an electrifying player. Clearly a great leader and competitor.

In this case, many of the statistics you are quoting are STUPENDOUSLY misleading.

Fran started out with the expansion Vikings...........HORRIBLE team. In the book I have on the history of the Vikes, they were described as "a bunch of out of work truck drivers and NFL cast-offs". Fran soon developed a bad relationship with the Head Coach (old school former QB Norm Van Brocklin) and was traded to the equally horrible New York Giants (1-12-1 in 1966). Fran immediately improved the Giants to a 7-7 record.

Tarkenton returned to the Vikings who now had a great defense but not much offense other than Chuck Foreman. From 1973-1976 his record was 45-10-1 in the regular season 6-4 in the playoffs and yes, 0-3 in Super Bowls. I am wondering if you can mention one great wide out the Vikings had on any of those teams?

The Vikings as a TEAM were over-matched against the Dolphins and the Steelers, they could/should have beaten the Raiders but didn't.

Football is the ultimate TEAM sport and placing ALL the blame the QB for the losses simply is not fair. Look a little closer, the Vikings allowed ALL THREE of their opponents in Fran's Super Bowls more than 50 rushing attempts and AT LEAST 196 and as much as 266 rushing yards!!!! The Vikings were not built to compete in this type of game. Their running game was non-existent as well, rushing for 71 and 72 yards against Miami and Oakland and 17 yards against Pittsburgh!

You have to look a little closer than just looking at won-lost records. Fran completed 46 of 89 passes in those three games, not bad against those defenses, his numbers were hurt by his 6 interceptions and only 1 TD pass, something that happens to a lot of QB's when trying to come from behind. Not being able to stop Csonka and Harris is the reason the Vikings had no chance to beat those two teams.

Most over rated? Hardly.

It is mentioned here quite often how over-rated Terry Bradshaw was and he had such a good record because he had such a dominating supporting cast. I wonder what Fran would have done if he was a Steeler, with Harris, Swann and Stallworth on offense and their defense?

Yes he is considered an all-time great with Many NFL passing records, but I think has more to do with longivty than anything else, AKA(Brett Farve)

With the biggest game of the Year coming tommorow you can choose any QB in NFL history that you feel gives you the best chance....... Nobody is gonna Pick Fran... and rightfully so.

I want the guy who gives me the best percentage chance of winning. ONLY 4 QB's in the history of football have a Winning % over .700 (Tarkenton .531)

Tom Brady .775
    Sid Luckman .763
    Roger Staubach .746
    Joe Montana .713

just sayin >>

Sorry about my post. Screwed up my reply to corncobb, here it is;

I am assuming you never saw him play. He was an electrifying player. Clearly a great leader and competitor.

In this case, many of the statistics you are quoting are STUPENDOUSLY misleading.

Fran started out with the expansion Vikings...........HORRIBLE team. In the book I have on the history of the Vikes, they were described as "a bunch of out of work truck drivers and NFL cast-offs". Fran soon developed a bad relationship with the Head Coach (old school former QB Norm Van Brocklin) and was traded to the equally horrible New York Giants (1-12-1 in 1966). Fran immediately improved the Giants to a 7-7 record.

Tarkenton returned to the Vikings who now had a great defense but not much offense other than Chuck Foreman. From 1973-1976 his record was 45-10-1 in the regular season 6-4 in the playoffs and yes, 0-3 in Super Bowls. I am wondering if you can mention one great wide out the Vikings had on any of those teams?

The Vikings as a TEAM were over-matched against the Dolphins and the Steelers, they could/should have beaten the Raiders but didn't.

Football is the ultimate TEAM sport and placing ALL the blame the QB for the losses simply is not fair. Look a little closer, the Vikings allowed ALL THREE of their opponents in Fran's Super Bowls more than 50 rushing attempts and AT LEAST 196 and as much as 266 rushing yards!!!! The Vikings were not built to compete in this type of game. Their running game was non-existent as well, rushing for 71 and 72 yards against Miami and Oakland and 17 yards against Pittsburgh!

You have to look a little closer than just looking at won-lost records. Fran completed 46 of 89 passes in those three games, not bad against those defenses, his numbers were hurt by his 6 interceptions and only 1 TD pass, something that happens to a lot of QB's when trying to come from behind. Not being able to stop Csonka and Harris is the reason the Vikings had no chance to beat those two teams.

Most over rated? Hardly.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe Banzai makes a very legitimate case for Tarkenton. No question that anyone who understand football knows that the Steelers and Dolphins from this era won Super Bowls based on team defense and running the football. Both Griese and Bradshaw were basically along for the ride, though Bradshaw did make the big plays he needed to in the Super Bowls he played in.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ball on my own 20 , down by 4 with 1:20 left and no time outs I'm taking Tom Brady or Joe Montana. Coin flip.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>Let us not forget Randall Cunningham >>

+1

McNabb was a good QB but would take Cunningham over him every day of the week.

<< <i>Ball on my own 20 , down by 4 with 1:20 left and no time outs I'm taking Tom Brady or Joe Montana. Coin flip.

MJ >>

You mean you wouldn't take Tony Romo??

<< <i>

<< <i>Let us not forget Randall Cunningham >>

+1

McNabb was a good QB but would take Cunningham over him every day of the week. >>

This!

• << <i>

<< <i>I did not forget Tarkenton... just started earlier and did not get to the 1960s and 70s.

Tom Brady .775
    Sid Luckman .763
    Roger Staubach .746
    Joe Montana .713

just sayin >>

Otto Graham had a winning percentage of .814.

<< <i>

<< <i>Ball on my own 20 , down by 4 with 1:20 left and no time outs I'm taking Tom Brady or Joe Montana. Coin flip.

MJ >>

image >>

Only if I was sitting next to Dimeman. I would make that sacrifice just to experience the implosion

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

• << <i>

<< <i>

Tom Brady .775
    Sid Luckman .763
    Roger Staubach .746
    Joe Montana .713

just sayin >>

Otto Graham had a winning percentage of .814. >>

Your ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! How did I over Look Him , when in Fact he has the All-Time highest winning %! Yes indeed Otto Graham is likely the greatest of all time.
    Otto Graham was not overlooked- he was mentioned in this thread two weeks ago. image

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

image >>

Only if I was sitting next to Dimeman. I would make that sacrifice just to experience the implosion

MJ >>

Awesome hahaha!

MJ >>

MARINO!

<< <i>

MJ >>

MARINO! >>

As long as it wasn't the Super Bowl or a playoff game or a game that mattered : )

MJ

<< <i>

<< <i>

MJ >>

MARINO! >>

As long as it wasn't the Super Bowl or a playoff game or a game that mattered : )

MJ >>

In that case I would take Romo!