Home Sports Talk
Options

Roger Goodell earned $44.2 million last year

I'm a free market guy, but that is just sick.

The owners paid his salary, so I feel the owners don't have their priorities straight.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I have no problem when someone earns an 8 figure income in a private venture. Many of the stadiums though are at least partially taxpayer funded. Figure about $1.5M of that came from the poor schmucks in Glendale Arizona.
  • Options
    Just think....another $300,000 since this was first posted. Nice gig.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Earns every penny of it.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options

<< <i>Earns every penny of it. >>

They should at least raise it to a more competitive $1,000,000, per week.
  • Options
    I bought Roger some lottery tickets for his birthday. Roger you didn't win.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Earns every penny of it. >>

Thats good stuff!! image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>Thats good stuff!! image >>

After a year I still believe it to be true.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    Just asking...how did he earn every penny? Seriously, Id like to know and be convinced. Cause I'm not seeing it.
    And I'm not against CEOs, coos earning seven even eight figure paychecks if they deserve it.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thats good stuff!! image >>

After a year I still believe it to be true. >>

My bad, I missed the bumpimage

But you seriously think his job performance today demands that kinda money? I honestly thought
    your post was recent ( image ) and meant as a joke.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options

<< <i>Just asking...how did he earn every penny? Seriously, Id like to know and be convinced. Cause I'm not seeing it.
    And I'm not against CEOs, coos earning seven even eight figure paychecks if they deserve it. >>

For starters, NFL revenue by year (in billions):

A commissioner should protect league revenue, negotiate top-level sponsorships, enforce violations that affect game-play and settle disputes between teams. Roger Goodell does these four things better than any commissioner in sports history.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    He became commish in 2006. The trend was already at a fifty percent increase which repeated during his tenure. Meaning the Nfls popularity was already trending upward. I don't think he really has anything to do with fantasy football and betting which can be argued are two of the biggest reasons for the increase. Pretty much 90% of new female fans I know of ate only fans because of fantasy. Which that fan base is growing.

As far as settling disputes and violations, well I don't think the latest...rice, Peterson, inflate gate..could have been handled any worse. But def not well. In fact, despite his bungling and his disappearing acts, the NFL continues to grow.

The NFL contracts are pretty much set as to what the numbers are in what the networks etc are going to pay. Most any commish could step in and handle those. In fact the CFO can handle that.

I'm still not seeing how he deserves that paycheck or is responsible for the Nfls popularity.
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could put any competent business person in the commissioner's office and revenue would continue to go up year over year. The brand is greater and stronger than any one individual.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NFL team owners are among the brightest, most successful business people in the world. If they did not believe they were getting their moneys worth someone else would be commissioner.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NFL team owners are among the brightest, most successful business people in the world. If they did not believe they were getting their moneys worth someone else would be commissioner. >>

I think anyone could do pretty well running a team if they were granted a monopoly tax exempt status and also had the taxpayers foot the bill for a discount stadium for them. I think I could pull that off especially if my rich daddy passed a team down to me
  • Options

<< <i>I think anyone could do pretty well running a team if they were granted a monopoly tax exempt status and also had the taxpayers foot the bill for a discount stadium for them. I think I could pull that off especially if my rich daddy passed a team down to me >>

None of the teams are tax-exempt, only the NFL is (and that itself is controversial). Despite numerous attempts by the most powerful men and women in politics, Goodell has managed to hold on to that tax exempt status. Notice how many absurd things the NFL gets away with? Think about why they're getting away with them... Goodell does a better job than people give him credit for.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

<< <i>I think you could put any competent business person in the commissioner's office and revenue would continue to go up year over year. The brand is greater and stronger than any one individual. >>

The brand is greater and stronger despite multiple rapists, murders, wife-beaters, racists, cheaters and thieves. Think about where baseball as a brand was twenty years ago, it was just as strong (if not stronger) than the NFL now. Steroid use and Selig's reaction literally ruined baseball and it has still yet to recover in popularity. The NFL has been dealt with just as startling scandals, cheaters and crimes yet Goodell has managed to keep the brand alive without missing a single beat. Boxing hasn't been able to maintain popularity after concussions and brutality started raised questions regarding the ethics of the sport.

Goodell has been able to keep steroid use a non-issue (even though players use), which Selig mishandled and let ruin baseball. Goodell has been able to control the issue of concussions and head trauma (even though the sport is possibly more dangerous than boxing and it's ruining players lives). Hate the man, but most men would do Goodell's job for a tenth of what Goodell is making, but if the owners were able to find someone better, they would have.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I disagree with your premise. He was paid $44.2 million-he did not earn it.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The popularity of professional football is due in large part to gambling and fantasy football, which has almost become an institution onto itself. Baseball has never had either of those aspects to promote its popularity or tv ratings. Any competent businessperson could perform as well as Goodell in the commissioner's role. This is same guy about whom there was talk of him stepping down after the Ray Rice fiasco. Goodell handled those scandals ineptly, at best. Luckily for him, the popularity of NFL is so great that even those embarrassments weren't enough to muster much backlash outside of some public service announcements and commercials.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Goodell is a puppet. He is competent, and that is all the NFL owners want is a competent man. To say he is the reason for the NFL popularity is silly, as that has been going on well before he got that job.

The NFL is so strong due to its inherent gambling traits, that a robot could sit in Godell's chair, and the NFL will do just as well.

Funny you use the revenue to boost Goodell, but....

In 2014 MLB generated 9 Billion in revenue, up from 8 Billion in 2013.

In 2001 MLB revenue was 3.9 Billion
    In 1995 MLB revenue was 1.4 Billion.

Hmmm....so it looks like somebody had a big impact on the baseball revenue. Looks just like the NFL increase. LOL.

Actually, I take it back. Goodell isn't competent. He is a fool, and that came to light the way he handled the issues this year.
  • Options

<< <i>Goodell is a puppet. He is competent, and that is all the NFL owners want is a competent man. To say he is the reason for the NFL popularity is silly, as that has been going on well before he got that job.

The NFL is so strong due to its inherent gambling traits, that a robot could sit in Godell's chair, and the NFL will do just as well.

Funny you use the revenue to boost Goodell, but....

In 2014 MLB generated 9 Billion in revenue, up from 8 Billion in 2013.

In 2001 MLB revenue was 3.9 Billion
    In 1995 MLB revenue was 1.4 Billion.

Hmmm....so it looks like somebody had a big impact on the baseball revenue. Looks just like the NFL increase. LOL.

Actually, I take it back. Goodell isn't competent. He is a fool, and that came to light the way he handled the issues this year. >>

MLB saw revenue decrease in 2002 and in 2011, the NFL has not seen a decrease in over 20 years. Goodell isn't the reason for the sports popularity, but he is the man in charge of protecting the league when issues arise. The NFL or MLB should never see a decrease in year over year revenue.
    My eBay Store =)

• Options

<< <i>[

MLB saw revenue decrease in 2002 and in 2011, the NFL has not seen a decrease in over 20 years. Goodell isn't the reason for the sports popularity, but he is the man in charge of protecting the league when issues arise. The NFL or MLB should never see a decrease in year over year revenue. >>

All laughable. Pud Selig made greater revenue growth from when he started to when he finished, than Goodell...so that revenue stuff you posted means jack. Who cares if MLB went down a little for year, they experienced tremendous growth(as good as the NFL's that you so proudly highlighted above). The NFL was basically stagnant for a year...that shouldn't happen image.

He may be the man in charge(publicly) of protecting it, but in the end, he does what the owners tell him to do.

If Goodel wanted to do something strong against the owners wishes, what do you think would happen? They will find a new commissioner. That tells you all you need to know how important he really is.

So stop giving credit to him. Actually, under his watch is rampant wife beating, child beating and run-ins with the law. Any fool can dish out a punishment for those...but he has done nothing to stop that stuff.

He is a fool.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a free market guy, what are you concerned about?

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    You must be the only person in the world drinking the Goodell Kool-Aid.

The NFL's image has taken a beating under Goodell, not only from the wife beating nightmares and thuggery, but from the fan fallout of referring, instant replays and flags making fans hesitant to enjoy a good play, and rules that seemingly the refs themselves don't even know(as evidence by their contradictory ruling of the Dez Bryant catch vs. the muffed catch in the Broncos/Colts game that occurred on the same day).

This is all under Goodell's leadership. If he was so smart and worth every penny, surely he would have found a way for none of this to occur to begin with...and he has done nothing to alter the fallout after it has occurred. In other words, he is doing pretty much what any competent man in his position could do. His skill set is nothing. He could be replaced and nothing would change for the better or worse.

As for the revenue charts, you put the chart up there as if it was Goodell's doing for the revenue increase. He had nothing to do with it. Nothing. Pud Selig did the same thing(possibly even more) in regards to revenue and MLB.

Also, the reason why nobody cares about PED use in football is because 1)The majority of people who care about football only care about the betting aspect of it, 2)The next majority already assume most of these guys do it anyway and don't care. They just want to see hard hitting tough nosed football. That is why there is no fallout for PED use in the NFL, compared to that of baseball. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT GOODELL DID OR DIDN'T DO! The fans who do care about PED in NFL see Goodell as an idiot if he thinks he has that issue in the NFL under control...because the players are 'beating' whatever system Goodell has in place to combat it.