Home Sports Talk
Options

Hall of Fame-Elect Greg Maddux will have surprising choice of cap on his plaque

EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Probably all the Hof caps will be blank after the thought police get through.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably all the Hof caps will be blank after the thought police get through. >>

It was his own choice to have a blank cap...and seeing as how he spent almost the same amount of time with both the Braves and Cubs I think he made a smart move. Then again he was nicknamed the "Professor" back in the day, so...
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably all the Hof caps will be blank after the thought police get through. >>

Do you ever view any topic in a non-political fashion? You just seem to be consumed by it, no matter what the subject is. I don't intend to sound flippant, but I could almost set my watch on it, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>

Do you ever view any topic in a non-political fashion? You just seem to be consumed by it, no matter what the subject is. I don't intend to sound flippant, but I could almost set my watch on it, LOL.. >>

Hope it is a Rolex.

This sports forum is nothing if not political, at least in the regard of political correctness. We have had two 200 plus threads that debated the elimination of native American logos and whether the word thug is a racial insult.

Why do we not return to on the field activity and drop the political rhetoric?

I will be glad to start.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Do you ever view any topic in a non-political fashion? You just seem to be consumed by it, no matter what the subject is. I don't intend to sound flippant, but I could almost set my watch on it, LOL.. >>

Hope it is a Rolex.

This sports forum is nothing if not political, at least in the regard of political correctness. We have had two 200 plus threads that debated the elimination of native American logos and whether the word thug is a racial insult.

Why do we not return to on the field activity and drop the political rhetoric?

I will be glad to start. >>

I doubt we will ever eliminate those kinds of discussions in terms of viewing them through a political or ideological prism within those specific hot topic threads, but when it spills over to a thread as innocuous as the kind of cap Maddux selects for his plaque, well, that seems to be quite a stretch.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>when it spills over to a thread as innocuous as the kind of cap Maddux selects for his plaque, well, that seems to be quite a stretch. >>

I would have skipped over the comment but I believe that the cap was important in this instance.

WCK stated when asked in the Wahoo thread which artifacts of Native American logos and names needed to go, that all were offensive. I take that to include the logo and team name of the Atlanta Braves. I do not agree, but the indication was that once wahoo and the Redskins were gone, the secondary offenders would be targeted. Presumably the HOF plaques would need to be sanitized as well.

I came here to talk football and Olympics and maybe learn a bit about other sports. This place is more of a hot button. That is ok but let everyone have there say.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not choose the word offensive, but yes it would be better if all native mascots were retired.

I do not think there would be a need to sanitize the HOF as you say. I think it is more so what happens with the mascots with the chants and fans. So please be mindful before spreading my views to others. Thanks.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Good choice...
  • Options

<< <i>I would not choose the word offensive, but yes it would be better if all native mascots were retired.

I do not think there would be a need to sanitize the HOF as you say. I think it is more so what happens with the mascots with the chants and fans. So please be mindful before spreading my views to others. Thanks. >>

Nice edit WCK. Your pre edit indicated that you were in favor of removing all the logos and mascots. Which is it?
  • Options
    Glicker: """ You seem like a reasonable and well educated man, WCK. Please tell me which aspects of sports names and logos should be eliminated. Is it just Chief Wahoo for example, or should the name Indian be replaced as well?

Braves ok? >>"""

WCK: """I'm on board with the country's association of psychologists, sociologists and counselors and believe that they all should be retired. I think the most blatantly offensive mascots should be the ones to go first and progress from there if they are not all retired at once."""

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I misunderstood your response from the Wahoo thread.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>when it spills over to a thread as innocuous as the kind of cap Maddux selects for his plaque, well, that seems to be quite a stretch. >>

I would have skipped over the comment but I believe that the cap was important in this instance.

WCK stated when asked in the Wahoo thread which artifacts of Native American logos and names needed to go, that all were offensive. I take that to include the logo and team name of the Atlanta Braves. I do not agree, but the indication was that once wahoo and the Redskins were gone, the secondary offenders would be targeted. Presumably the HOF plaques would need to be sanitized as well.

I came here to talk football and Olympics and maybe learn a bit about other sports. This place is more of a hot button. That is ok but let everyone have there say. >>

Yes, I know, you came here just to learn a bit more about sports, LOL..

• Options

<< <i>Yes, I know, you came here just to learn a bit more about sports, LOL.. >>

I came back to the coin forum to address a coin of mine that was being discussed.

Sports are an escape for many folks and I was really surprised how agitated this forum had become.

Shame on all of us I suppose, as the moderation has become nonexistent here and this once very decent locale has fallen into a snake pit.
  • Options
    I disagree. Sports has always been a contentious topic and strong opinions are always going to be part of that.

What does become rather tiresome, though, imho, is the manipulation of any topic, no matter how innocuous, as a platform for advancing a political agenda with sardonic or elliptical references.

• Options

<< <i>I disagree. Sports has always been a contentious topic and strong opinions are always going to be part of that. >>

Strong opinions are ok if they suit your criteria.

The sports mod job is vacant. perhaps you can apply.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I disagree. Sports has always been a contentious topic and strong opinions are always going to be part of that. >>

Strong opinions are ok if they suit your criteria.

The sports mod job is vacant. perhaps you can apply. >>

Not interested, but thanks for the recommendation!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would not choose the word offensive, but yes it would be better if all native mascots were retired.

I do not think there would be a need to sanitize the HOF as you say. I think it is more so what happens with the mascots with the chants and fans. So please be mindful before spreading my views to others. Thanks. >>

Nice edit WCK. Your pre edit indicated that you were in favor of removing all the logos and mascots. Which is it? >>

To be accurate Glicker, I added the second part with my edit minutes after posting the first line.

I am in favor of retiring all native mascots and that has never changed here on CU. In my opinion some of the mascots are flat offensive in name only or perhaps by imagery, while others are not so much offensive until fans take it up to the next level and cause for that mascot to be offensive to Native people.

I don't think it is realistic to remove all the imagery that has been created from the past, but I do think it is worthwhile to not continue to use the stereotypical images especially when they are going to masses of people via TV or stadiums full of people.

I fail to recognize where my opinion on the subject has changed although it is certainly within the right of people to have their views change over time.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Now that it just dawned on me how this could even be a political issue at all, I don't see what the problem would be. Sure the Braves once upon a time used that screaming indian logo but wasn't that only a secondary sleeve patch sort of thing? The cap logo is what goes on the HOF plaque and (correct me if I'm wrong) but it's always been just a simple A (or M or B for when they were in Milwaukee and Boston). Unless there's a few leftover Chief Wahoo caps or something on a few plaques (are there any HOFers with Wahoo on their caps?), there shouldn't be a problem.
    WISHLIST
  • Options

<< <i>

WCK stated when asked in the Wahoo thread which artifacts of Native American logos and names needed to go, that all were offensive. I take that to include the logo and team name of the Atlanta Braves. >>

Now my main point is that you are saying that I am taking the logo and name of the Braves to be offensive and that is not accurate. I do think the only realistic way to eliminate the Tomahawk Chop is to retire the Braves mascot. Do I think the Braves logo is offensive? In short no, but it has to do with the Tomahawk Chop and the fans dressed up as Indians that I find to be in extremely poor taste and without a doubt in my mind promotes racial stereotyping........
  • Options
    So the name "Braves" is ok? Some Indian references are alright but others such as Redskin are not?

Just seeking the parameters.

• Options

<< <i>
    It was his own choice to have a blank cap...and seeing as how he spent almost the same amount of time with both the Braves and Cubs I think he made a smart move. Then again he was nicknamed the "Professor" back in the day, so... >>

2700 innings pitched for the Braves, barely 2000 for the Cubs. More than 70% of his overall value came from pitching for the Braves. It is a diplomatic choice for Maddux to make, but it is not the right move for the Hall-of-Fame to allow players to decide what goes on their plaques
  • Options
    I would rather not hijack a thread on the Greg Maddux HOF hat choice, perhaps ask me questions on the Wahoo thread. Maddux was a remarkable pitcher and yes his worth in Atlanta was much more than as a Cub.
  • Options
    Don't want to answer. No problem.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't want to answer. No problem. >>

That's not what he is saying, though, or the topic of this thread.

• Options
    Seriously people? Three posts in and this thread has derailed? It's a no-brainer as to why quite a few members have left these boards.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>Seriously people? Three posts in and this thread has derailed? It's a no-brainer as to why quite a few members have left these boards. >>

Some people love to turn any and every topic into a political one, blaming everyone but themselves for doing so.

Back on topic it's a smart move for Maddux, and he obviously has close ties in both cities.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Seriously people? Three posts in and this thread has derailed? It's a no-brainer as to why quite a few members have left these boards. >>

Some people love to turn any and every topic into a political one, blaming everyone but themselves for doing so.

Back on topic it's a smart move for Maddux, and he obviously has close ties in both cities. >>

The greatest Braves player since Hank Aaron is voted into the Hall of fame. His team has been bashed on these forums as being objectionable to an American minority. That must be ignored though as this is a different thread and it must stay on the sacred railing.

Hoo boy!
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Maddux had nearly as many starts as a brave as he did a cub. His CHOICE was to have to logo on his cap. Why are people always looking to fight over something that you have literally NO input on?
  • Options

<< <i>Maddux had nearly as many starts as a brave as he did a cub. His CHOICE was to have to logo on his cap. Why are people always looking to fight over something that you have literally NO input on? >>

Cause we can never win a fight with our wives. Here we have a chance. image
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this avatar on this forum for years, so don't bash me for that. However, I think Maddux made the right choice.
  • Options

<< <i>I've had this avatar on this forum for years, so don't bash me for that. However, I think Maddux made the right choice. >>

What's wrong with your avatar? And were you able to get his John Hanc-ck on it way back then before Maddux really became Maddux?

At least yours isn't over ten years out of date like mine is (it's not the current UK logo), but that's the logo I'm most familiar with and I think the current blue UK logo is too boring and generic. image
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've had this avatar on this forum for years, so don't bash me for that. However, I think Maddux made the right choice. >>

What's wrong with your avatar? And were you able to get his John Hanc-ck on it way back then before Maddux really became Maddux? image >>

This was a thru-the-mail request from circa 1991.
  • Options
    That's close enough...I mean it was not until the next year he won his first of four straight right so it's still neat you got it before he truly got famous. You did get his real autograph right, they didn't try to pass off some stupid auto pen or ghost signer I hope...
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Maddux should go in sporting a Rangers hat since he has been one of their special assistants the last few years.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Happy birthday Greg! Did you know that you and David Justice were born on the same day?