Home Sports Talk

R.I.P. Art Modell

As a young man whos gotten to appreciate the Ravens franchise (not a fan) i am quite saddened by Arts passing. The Baltimore Colts history is in Indianapolis and is part of why Im not even a Ravens fan, Art left the Browns history in Cleveland, the mans finally got a lot of people off his back and he can now rest in peace and hope hes found a better place.
Nathan Wagner

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    He will not be missed.

Sincerely, Cleveland Fans
  • Modell did two major things as owner of the Browns.
    1. Fired Paul Brown (Brown had six straight winning seasons at the time)
    2. Moved the Browns out of Cleveland

Sorry for the loss for his family and friends, but he was no friend of the NFL in my eyes.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • At least Art was decent enough to leave Cleveland with all of their records and history hence we are not the Baltimore Browns(Thank God!). He helped shape the NFL in the early years of the merger with the AFL and came up with the idea of Monday Night Football. All the years he was the owner of the Cleveland Browns he saw the city build new venues for the Indians, Cavaliers and the Rock and Roll HOF, all the while having to see his beloved Browns play in that cesspool known as Cleveland Muncipal Stadium. The city took him for granted and the mayor/s of Cleveland can take credit for that. Tell me if you owned the Browns you would not have done the same thing! The man should be in the NFL Hall of Fame as a contributor/owner. He would already be there if it were not for that POS Tony Grossi lobbying those mindless drones to exclude Art. There is a hot place in HE!! for Tony Grossi, hopefully soon.
    I live five minutes from the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I must say if he were to be inducted while he was alive, there would have been riots and it would have been very ugly. Now that he's gone, I say let it happen. I'll puke every time I drive past Fawcett Stadium and see his banner hanging up there, but I say he does deserve to be there.
  • Why does he deserve it? Because he bought the most successful franchise in the NFL (a team which had won numerous NFL and AAFC titles in the previous 15 years) and then won only one title afterwards (with many key players that were already in place when he bought the team)? Because he was smart enough to fire one of the greatest coaches in the history of professional football (Paul Brown)? Because he moved a team out of a rabid fan market in Cleveland to Baltimore? Wow. Art's Ravens won a Super Bowl. It took only 35 years. What did Art Modell do that was worthy of the HOF? He owned a team for a long time. That's it. Period. Well, if we get him in, then lets get Bud Adams in too I guess. Tom Benson has owned the Saints for awhile. If he can just hang on a few years we can enshrine him too. And Jerry Jones as well. Good grief...
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least Art was decent enough to leave Cleveland with all of their records and history hence we are not the Baltimore Browns(Thank God!). He helped shape the NFL in the early years of the merger with the AFL and came up with the idea of Monday Night Football. All the years he was the owner of the Cleveland Browns he saw the city build new venues for the Indians, Cavaliers and the Rock and Roll HOF, all the while having to see his beloved Browns play in that cesspool known as Cleveland Muncipal Stadium. The city took him for granted and the mayor/s of Cleveland can take credit for that. Tell me if you owned the Browns you would not have done the same thing! The man should be in the NFL Hall of Fame as a contributor/owner. He would already be there if it were not for that POS Tony Grossi lobbying those mindless drones to exclude Art. There is a hot place in HE!! for Tony Grossi, hopefully soon. >>

Mayor White was the one who failed to support Modell and is responsible for the move. Other than selling the team, leaving Cleveland was the last resort for Modell. As someone who has lived in the Cleveland area their whole life and followed the Browns for over 30 years I believe Modell got more grief than he deserved. It was either he sell the francise or relocate, I don't blame him for wanting to keep the team he owned since 1961.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip. I don't think he had any other choice but to move the team. Still broke my heart.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• I agree. The Cleveland fans never supported the team over 50+ years and poor 1%er Modell was forced to move the team to acquire even more marbles. I mean, $70 zillion doesn't buy what it used to......
  • Yup. Ok, moving on, nothing to see here.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
    A Browns Fan Pi$$ing On Art Modell's Grave: Just wow...
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a waste of good beer.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

As someone who has lived in the Cleveland area their whole life and followed the Browns for over 30 years I believe Modell got more grief than he deserved. It was either he sell the francise or relocate

this is some real revisionist history BS!!!

the City of Cleveland gave Modell a sweetheart deal with the Stadium, leased it to him for $1/year and he was collecting "rent" from his "tenants" like the Cleveland Indians and every event held there for 30 years.............................all the while not using any of the revenue to keep up the Stadium, particularly the restrooms. if you lived in the Greater Cleveland area as you say, did you ever visit the Stadium?? it was a dump!!!

what really happened is that Modell in effect "blackmailed" the City of Cleveland, told them that either they build him a new stadium or he'd leave and take the Team with him. he was a bum. and as for people not supporting the Team, that's just not true. they regularly packed in 70-80k and waited in line to piss in a cesspool, thanks to Uncle Art.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to pace yourself keets :D

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

epic thread bumpage w/ a red coinstartled incarnation

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Figured there would be some vitriol.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Figured there would be some vitriol.

revenge is a dish best served cold, that wasn't really worth a six year wait tho

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns fans are pi$$ed because Art left and Cowboy fans are pi$$ed because Jerry won't leave! Oh the irony of it all, B)

Browns fans aren't really pissed because Art Modell left, it's the way he left.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2020 5:11PM

@galaxy27 said:
    epic thread bumpage w/ a red coinstartled incarnation

aka: a Glicker special. :)

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Browns fans aren't really pissed because Art Modell left, it's the way he left.

How about them Colts...….they snuck out of Baltimore in the middle of the night!

that was what I questioned when the move was made: How can Baltimore fans rejoice at getting a Team at another city's expense when they were so hurt and angered when it happened to them?? to top it all off, Baltimore and Cleveland are "Sister" Cities.

• DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I didn't shed a tear.....he was a greedy SOB and tried to rob the city of Cleveland. He also did let them keep the Browns history, the city sued and won...he wanted that too.